Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Uvalde mass shooting
Stories 41 - 60 |
At Uvalde City Council
Meeting, a Big No-Show
Jun 8, 2022 6:17 AM CDT
At Uvalde City Council Meeting, a Big No-Show
Embattled school police chief Pete Arredondo, newly elected to council, bailed on his first meeting
- The Texas school district police chief who's been accused of waiting too long to order law enforcement to confront the gunman at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde has said that he'd "eventually" answer questions about the mass shooting that killed 19 students and two teachers last month....
McConaughey: They Had
to Identify Uvalde Victim
From These Shoes
Jun 7, 2022 8:42 PM CDT
McConaughey: They Had to Identify Uvalde Victim From These Shoes
Actor makes emotional speech at White House
- Matthew McConaughey made a surprise appearance at the White House on Tuesday and discussed some of the victims of the school shooting in his hometown, including 10-year-old Maite Rodriguez, who wanted to be a marine biologist. She wore green Converse shoes "with a heart she had hand drawn on...
Surviving Uvalde Teacher
Will 'Never Forgive' Police
Jun 7, 2022 4:51 PM CDT
Surviving Uvalde Teacher Will 'Never Forgive' Police
All 11 children in Arnulfo Reyes' classroom were killed in mass shooting
- A teacher who survived the Uvalde mass shooting says there is "no excuse" for police standing by for 77 minutes while children and teachers were killed. Arnulfo Reyes is hospitalized with gunshot wounds and grieving the two teachers and 19 students who were killed—including all 11 third and...
'Thoughts and Prayers Won't
Fix This': NY Changes Gun Law
Jun 6, 2022 1:14 PM CDT
'Thoughts and Prayers Won't Fix This': NY Changes Gun Law
Sale of semiautomatic rifles restricted to those 21 and older
- New Yorkers under age 21 will be prohibited from buying semiautomatic rifles under a new law signed Monday by Gov. Kathy Hochul, making the state one of the first to enact a major gun control initiative following a wave of deadly mass shootings, per the AP . Hochul, a Democrat, signed...
Chief Didn't Bring
Police Radio to School
Jun 3, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Chief Didn't Bring Police Radio to School
Pete Arredondo might not have known at first about the 911 calls coming from the classroom
- The school district police chief who took charge of the response to the Uvalde shootings arrived quickly at Robb Elementary, while shots were still being fired inside. But Pete Arredondo didn't have a police radio with him, the
New York Times
reports. He called a police landline on a...
Jun 2, 2022 7:40 PM CDT
Biden Calls for Banning Assault Weapons
President pleads for Congress to act after mass shootings
- Asking Americans "how much more carnage" they're willing to accept, President Biden implored Congress in a nationally televised address Thursday night to take steps in response to the nation's spate of mass shootings. The president said he wants assault weapons and high-capacity magazines banned, the
Chief at Scene
Wasn't Told of
Jun 2, 2022 5:47 PM CDT
Lawmaker: Chief at Scene Wasn't Told of 911 Calls
Uvalde had a 'system failure' in communicating information, state senator says
- The commander overseeing police during a shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, was not informed of panicked 911 calls coming from students trapped inside, and it's unclear who at the scene was aware of the calls as the massacre of 19 students and two teachers unfolded, a...
Girl Scouts Honor Young Victim
Killed Trying to Call 911
Jun 2, 2022 3:47 PM CDT
Girl Scouts Honor Young Victim Killed Trying to Call 911
Organization presents family of Amerie Jo Garza with Bronze Star for risking her life to save others
- Amerie Jo Garza was proud of the Girl Scout badges she'd earned. At her funeral on Tuesday, the organization demonstrated its pride in the 10-year-old girl who was shot to death in a Uvalde, Texas, classroom while trying to call for help. The Girl Scouts of Southwest Texas announced...
of Slain Teacher's
Final Phone Call
Jun 2, 2022 1:10 AM CDT
Devastating Details of Slain Teacher's Final Phone Call Revealed
She was on the phone with her husband, a school district police officer who was outside
- Eva Mireles' husband, Ruben Ruiz, is a school district police officer—and in the final minutes of his wife's life, Ruiz was on the phone with her as he stood outside her classroom at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, barred from entering. "She’s in the classroom...
Uvalde Chief Says He'll
Answer Questions 'Eventually'
Jun 1, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Uvalde Chief Says He'll Answer Questions 'Eventually'
'Whenever this is done and the families quit grieving, then we'll do that obviously'
- The Uvalde school district police chief accused of making the "wrong decision" during last week's school shooting has made his first public comments since the day of the massacre—but he didn't shed any light on his actions. Pedro "Pete" Arredondo told CNN Wednesday that he...
Uvalde Teacher Closed Door,
but It Didn't Lock
Jun 1, 2022 5:05 AM CDT
Uvalde Teacher Closed Door, but It Didn't Lock
Police initially said she hadn't closed the door
- Following the Uvalde mass school shooting, Texas state police initially said a Robb Elementary teacher had left an exterior door propped open and that's how the gunman entered the school. Now, they're significantly changing that story: The unnamed teacher did indeed prop a door open with a rock...
A Mass Student Strike
Could Force Gun Legislation
May 31, 2022 7:33 PM CDT
A Mass Student Strike Could Force Gun Legislation
A national strike could provide the 'hard power' that forces political change
- Columbine, Sandy Hook, Parkland, Uvalde: these are some of the place names that will forever invoke images of horror and grief. We’ve been here before, faced with the familiar “misalignment” between political will and public consensus, according to Gal Beckerman, senior editor for the
who argues that...
At the First Funeral
for an Uvalde Victim,
an Overflow Crowd
May 31, 2022 6:09 PM CDT
At the First Funeral for an Uvalde Victim, an Overflow Crowd
Town's funeral homes don't have space for all the victims of last week's shooting
- A week after a gunman ran into a Texas grade school and started shooting, the first of 21 funerals began on Tuesday. Meanwhile, at least one family still hasn't seen the body of their loved one. Hundreds of mourners turned out for an afternoon Mass to remember Amerie Jo...
Uvalde's Elementary School
May Be Razed
May 31, 2022 11:44 AM CDT
Uvalde's Elementary School May Be Razed
State lawmaker says Biden suggested it
- This week was supposed to have been the fun first week of summer break for Robb Elementary School students. Instead, the first funeral visitations for students killed in last week's mass shooting have begun in Uvalde, Texas, reports the AP . As questions continue to be raised about all aspects...
Uvalde School Police Chief's
Next Move Spurs Anger
May 31, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Uvalde School Police Chief's Next Move Spurs Anger
Pete Arredondo's swearing-in to City Council has been delayed, however, amid children's funerals
- The school police chief accused of holding back officers from a classroom in Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, as a gunman murdered children inside will apparently take his place on the City Council, despite plenty of anger in his hometown. Pedro "Pete" Arredondo, the chief of police for...
Should the Public See What
Gunshots Really Do to Bodies?
May 30, 2022 9:03 PM CDT
Should the Public See What Gunshots Really Do to Bodies?
The Uvalde shooting has rekindled a long-running debate in the news media
- What do high-velocity rounds from an AR-15 do to a child's body, and should the public see it? Last week's mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas, has rekindled a debate about whether publishing graphic images might prompt more urgent, meaningful action. As the
New York Times
reports, families and...
Orphaned After Uvalde,
$2.6M Has Been
Raised for Them
May 30, 2022 12:54 AM CDT
Orphaned After Uvalde, $2.6M Has Been Raised for Them
Irma and Joe Garcia left behind 4 children
- The four children of Irma and Joe Garcia were orphaned after their mom, a teacher, was killed in the Uvalde elementary school massacre and their dad died of a heart attack two days later . More than $2.6 million has been raised for them in a GoFundMe campaign . "I...
May 29, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Bidens Mourn With Uvalde
President acknowledges exhortation to 'Do something!'
- President Biden and first lady Jill Biden went to Uvalde, Texas, on Sunday, their second trip to a town consumed by grief after the massacre of innocent Americans in less than two weeks. The Bidens met with the families of victims and survivors while in Uvalde, though no speech by...
Texas Police Response Faces
Review by Justice Department
May 29, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
Texas Police Response Faces Review by Justice Department
Agency will make its findings public
- The Justice Department announced Sunday that it will review the police response to the shooting Tuesday in Texas that killed 19 children and two teachers. Officers waited about 45 minutes in a hallway outside the Robb Elementary classroom while surviving students and teachers called 911; a state official said that...
Noise Like Gunfire Causes
Panic at NYC Arena
May 29, 2022 10:39 AM CDT
Noise Like Gunfire Causes Panic at NYC Arena
As it turns out, no shots were fired at Barclays Center, but a stampede to safety ensued
- An example of a nation with frayed nerves: Ten people ended up in the hospital with minor injuries Saturday night over a false alarm about a shooting in the Barclays Center in New York City, reports CNN . After a boxing match between Devonte Davis and Rolando Romero, some kind of...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
High School Killer Gets Life
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.