Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Uvalde mass shooting
Stories 41 - 60 |
Uvalde Teacher Closed Door,
but It Didn't Lock
Jun 1, 2022 5:05 AM CDT
Uvalde Teacher Closed Door, but It Didn't Lock
Police initially said she hadn't closed the door
- Following the Uvalde mass school shooting, Texas state police initially said a Robb Elementary teacher had left an exterior door propped open and that's how the gunman entered the school. Now, they're significantly changing that story: The unnamed teacher did indeed prop a door open with a rock...
A Mass Student Strike
Could Force Gun Legislation
May 31, 2022 7:33 PM CDT
A Mass Student Strike Could Force Gun Legislation
A national strike could provide the 'hard power' that forces political change
- Columbine, Sandy Hook, Parkland, Uvalde: these are some of the place names that will forever invoke images of horror and grief. We’ve been here before, faced with the familiar “misalignment” between political will and public consensus, according to Gal Beckerman, senior editor for the
who argues that...
At the First Funeral
for an Uvalde Victim,
an Overflow Crowd
May 31, 2022 6:09 PM CDT
At the First Funeral for an Uvalde Victim, an Overflow Crowd
Town's funeral homes don't have space for all the victims of last week's shooting
- A week after a gunman ran into a Texas grade school and started shooting, the first of 21 funerals began on Tuesday. Meanwhile, at least one family still hasn't seen the body of their loved one. Hundreds of mourners turned out for an afternoon Mass to remember Amerie Jo...
Uvalde's Elementary School
May Be Razed
May 31, 2022 11:44 AM CDT
Uvalde's Elementary School May Be Razed
State lawmaker says Biden suggested it
- This week was supposed to have been the fun first week of summer break for Robb Elementary School students. Instead, the first funeral visitations for students killed in last week's mass shooting have begun in Uvalde, Texas, reports the AP . As questions continue to be raised about all aspects...
Uvalde School Police Chief's
Next Move Spurs Anger
May 31, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Uvalde School Police Chief's Next Move Spurs Anger
Pete Arredondo's swearing-in to City Council has been delayed, however, amid children's funerals
- The school police chief accused of holding back officers from a classroom in Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, as a gunman murdered children inside will apparently take his place on the City Council, despite plenty of anger in his hometown. Pedro "Pete" Arredondo, the chief of police for...
Should the Public See What
Gunshots Really Do to Bodies?
May 30, 2022 9:03 PM CDT
Should the Public See What Gunshots Really Do to Bodies?
The Uvalde shooting has rekindled a long-running debate in the news media
- What do high-velocity rounds from an AR-15 do to a child's body, and should the public see it? Last week's mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas, has rekindled a debate about whether publishing graphic images might prompt more urgent, meaningful action. As the
New York Times
reports, families and...
Orphaned After Uvalde,
$2.6M Has Been
Raised for Them
May 30, 2022 12:54 AM CDT
Orphaned After Uvalde, $2.6M Has Been Raised for Them
Irma and Joe Garcia left behind 4 children
- The four children of Irma and Joe Garcia were orphaned after their mom, a teacher, was killed in the Uvalde elementary school massacre and their dad died of a heart attack two days later . More than $2.6 million has been raised for them in a GoFundMe campaign . "I...
May 29, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Bidens Mourn With Uvalde
President acknowledges exhortation to 'Do something!'
- President Biden and first lady Jill Biden went to Uvalde, Texas, on Sunday, their second trip to a town consumed by grief after the massacre of innocent Americans in less than two weeks. The Bidens met with the families of victims and survivors while in Uvalde, though no speech by...
Texas Police Response Faces
Review by Justice Department
May 29, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
Texas Police Response Faces Review by Justice Department
Agency will make its findings public
- The Justice Department announced Sunday that it will review the police response to the shooting Tuesday in Texas that killed 19 children and two teachers. Officers waited about 45 minutes in a hallway outside the Robb Elementary classroom while surviving students and teachers called 911; a state official said that...
Noise Like Gunfire Causes
Panic at NYC Arena
May 29, 2022 10:39 AM CDT
Noise Like Gunfire Causes Panic at NYC Arena
As it turns out, no shots were fired at Barclays Center, but a stampede to safety ensued
- An example of a nation with frayed nerves: Ten people ended up in the hospital with minor injuries Saturday night over a false alarm about a shooting in the Barclays Center in New York City, reports CNN . After a boxing match between Devonte Davis and Rolando Romero, some kind of...
Why Did They Wait So Long?
Focus Is on Chief's Decision
May 29, 2022 8:19 AM CDT
Why Did They Wait So Long? Focus Is on Chief's Decision
Reports say officers from other agencies on the scene in Uvalde confronted school police chief
- Why did police wait so long to confront the gunman in Uvalde? As the narrative crystallizes, it appears that much of the responsibility for that decision is falling on one man, the chief of police for the local school district. Coverage:
He is identified as Pedro "Pete"
May 29, 2022 6:01 AM CDT
Ted Cruz Is Confronted at Restaurant
'That's on your hands!' man shouts in Houston eatery, after Cruz's speech to NRA
- Ted Cruz went ahead with his speech to the NRA convention on Friday, and he heard about it that night at a Houston restaurant. A man confronted Cruz at Uptown Sushi, where the senator arrived to eat with his family, reports BuzzFeed . “Why did you come here to the...
At Buffalo Funeral, Harris
Sees a 'Through Line'
May 28, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
At Buffalo Funeral, Harris Sees a 'Through Line'
Final victim of supermarket shooting is buried
- The final victim of the mass shooting at a Buffalo supermarket was buried Saturday, as families in Uvalde, Texas, planned funerals for their loved ones killed Tuesday at Robb Elementary School. Vice President Kamala Harris brought up other mass shootings in addressing the mourners in Buffalo, the Hill reports. "...
May 28, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Gun Questions Prove Awkward for Walker
Senate candidate has attributed past accusations to mental illness
- Questions about gun legislation have increased since Tuesday, the day Herschel Walker became the Georgia Republican Party's nominee for US Senate. He's had a hard time handling them, the
reports; guns have been an issue in the former football star's past. Asked Tuesday whether the...
Is Back, but
With a Warning
May 27, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
Is Back, but With a Warning
In wake of Uvalde shooting, disclaimer notes 'graphic violence involving children' in Season 4 opener
- It's the moment that
fans have been waiting for: The spooky series is back on Netflix as of Friday for Season 4, though viewers in the US watching last season's recap trailer that plays right before the new one will notice a special disclaimer.
Gunmaker Is a No-Show
at NRA Convention
May 27, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
Gunmaker Is a No-Show at NRA Convention
Daniel Defense made the weapon used in the Texas school massacre
- The company that made the AR-15-style rifle that was used in the Texas school massacre has dropped out of the National Rifle Association convention in Houston this weekend. Daniel Defense, which is based in Georgia, confirmed it manufactured the weapon bought by an 18-year-old and used in the shootings Tuesday...
Dead During Shooting
May 27, 2022 1:29 PM CDT
4th-Grader Played Dead During Shooting
Miah Cerrillo smeared blood on herself
- Another wrenching story has emerged from one of the young survivors in the Texas school shooting. Fourth grader Miah Cerrillo tells CNN that she smeared blood from a classmate over herself to play dead. The classmate already had been killed by the gunman. Miah recounts how the gunman shot out...
Texas Official: Police Made
'Wrong Decision' at Shooting
May 27, 2022 12:39 PM CDT
Texas Official: Police Made 'Wrong Decision' at Shooting
On-site commander at Uvalde shooting faulted for decision to wait before moving in
- A top Texas law enforcement official said Friday what angry parents have said all along about the delayed police response to the mass shooting in Uvalde: "It was the wrong decision. Period," said Texas Department of Public Safety Director Steven McCraw, reports the
. At a news...
Ted Cruz Interview
on Uvalde Doesn't
Go Too Well
May 27, 2022 11:04 AM CDT
Ted Cruz Interview on Uvalde Doesn't Go Too Well
Texas senator storms off after UK reporter asks him why America has so many mass shootings
- Politicians are making the rounds to express their thoughts on Tuesday's mass shooting in Texas that left 21 dead, but Ted Cruz's most recent interview didn't go exactly as planned, at least not from his perspective. After a vigil for the victims on Wednesday, the GOP senator,...
During MLB Matchup, a
Most Unusual Twitter Stream
May 27, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
During MLB Matchup, a Most Unusual Twitter Stream
During Thursday's game between Yankees, Rays, teams live-tweeted stats on gun violence
- MLB fans looking to keep up with the game Thursday night between the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays got quite the surprise when they logged on to Twitter. Instead of stats and play-by-plays, the two teams instead used their accounts to tweet out facts on gun violence. In...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
Jackass Star Bam Margera Reportedly on Ventilator
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.