Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Uvalde mass shooting
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mom of Uvalde
Victim Won't Be
Town's Next Mayor
Nov 7, 2023 9:21 PM CST
Mom of Uvalde Victim Won't Be Town's Next Mayor
Kimberly Mata-Rubio says she won't stop fighting
- The mother of a 10-year-old girl killed in the school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, on Tuesday lost her race to become mayor of the town. A former Uvalde mayor, Cody Smith, was instead voted back in to replace the current mayor, who is stepping down to pursue a seat in...
Cousin of Uvalde Shooter
Accused of Similar Plot
Aug 8, 2023 7:23 AM CDT
Cousin of Uvalde Shooter Accused of Similar Plot
Nathan Cruz, 17, is arrested in San Antonio
- A mother in San Antonio, Texas, called police on her 17-year-old son because she feared he was planning a massacre at an elementary school. The chilling twist: He is the cousin of the teen who did the same thing in Uvalde, Texas, reports the
New York Times
. Police arrested Nathan...
School Shooting Victim's
Mom Is Running for Mayor
Jul 28, 2023 10:37 AM CDT
School Shooting Victim's Mom Is Running for Mayor
'I will honor your life with action,' says Kimberly Mata-Rubio
- A year and a half ago, a mayoral election in Uvalde wouldn't have been news outside the immediate area—but that was before the Texas city became the site of one of America's deadliest school shootings. Kimberly Mata-Rubio, whose 10-year-old daughter, Lexi, was one of 19 children killed...
Judge Forces Uvalde DPS
to Release Shooting Records
Jun 30, 2023 9:01 AM CDT
Judge Forces Uvalde DPS to Release Shooting Records
Media outlets sued for release of call logs, police footage
- A judge has ordered the Texas Department of Public Safety to release police dashcam videos, recordings of 911 calls, and other records related to the May 2022 mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, which stands out from other recent mass shootings due to its death toll and what...
A Year After Uvalde,
Families Feel 'Betrayal'
May 24, 2023 6:02 AM CDT
A Year After Uvalde, Families Feel 'Betrayal'
Parents are still seeking answers in a Texas city torn by massacre that killed 19 children, 2 teachers
- Wednesday is the one-year anniversary of the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, which left 19 students and two teachers dead. Plans are in the works for a new school to replace the one where the massacre took place, in a different location in the city. "...
Lawmaker Shares Sickening
Detail of Texas School Shooting
Apr 20, 2023 6:15 AM CDT
Lawmaker Shares Sickening Detail of Texas School Shooting
Uvalde gunman wrote 'LOL' in victims' blood
- Family members of the children and teachers massacred at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, last year gasped and cried Tuesday when a state lawmaker disclosed a grim detail. State Rep. Joe Moody said the 18-year-old gunman used his victims' blood to write a message on a fourth-grade classroom whiteboard,...
Probe Underway After Officer
Confronts Uvalde Victim's Mom
Apr 6, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Probe Underway After Officer Confronts Uvalde Victim's Mom
Ana Rodriguez suffered bruises in altercation now under investigation by Texas DPS
- The Texas Department of Public Safety says it's launched an investigation in response to footage showing an officer violently removing the mother of a Uvalde school shooting victim from her son's elementary school. Ana Rodriguez arrived at Uvalde's Flores Elementary School on Wednesday to check her son...
Mother of Uvalde Killer Charged
in Domestic Violence Case
Jan 6, 2023 4:10 PM CST
Mother of Uvalde Killer Charged in Domestic Violence Case
Adriana Martinez Reyes jailed in Oklahoma
- The mother of the gunman who killed 21 people in the Uvalde, Texas, school massacre in May has been arrested in a domestic violence case, Oklahoma City police said. Officers were called to a home Wednesday morning, where a man told them that Adriana Martinez Reyes had threatened to kill...
At Uvalde, Police Response
Wasn't the Only Problem
Dec 20, 2022 11:41 AM CST
At Uvalde, Police Response Wasn't the Only Problem
Medical response was chaotic, uncoordinated, and may have cost lives: report
- The slow response of police to confront the gunman at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, has been well documented. But a new examination of video and audio from the scene, as well as interviews, shows that the medical response that day in May also was mired in chaos and...
In Public, a Warrior.
At Home, a Fragile Kid
Oct 30, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
In Public, a Warrior. At Home, a Fragile Kid
'Washington Post' profiles 10-year-old Uvalde survivor Caitlyne Gonzales
- She has become, writes John Woodrow Cox in the
, the "most public survivor" of the Uvalde school shooting that took the lives of 19 of her classmates and two of her teachers. Cox describes 10-year-old Caitlyne Gonzales as "a portrait of resilience, a 4-foot-8, 75-pound embodiment...
Texas Chief Says
He Shouldn't Be
Fired Over Uvalde
Oct 27, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
Texas Chief Says He Shouldn't Be Fired Over Uvalde
Steve McCraw says his department didn't fail in response to school shooting
- Texas' state police chief said Thursday that his department "did not fail" Uvalde during the hesitant law enforcement response to the Robb Elementary School shooting, as a Republican congressman joined angry parents of some of the 19 children killed in the May attack in calling for him to resign....
Uvalde Aide Accused
of Leaving Door Open Speaks
Oct 25, 2022 12:58 AM CDT
Uvalde Aide Accused of Leaving Door Open Speaks
Emilia Marin says she is suffering mentally, emotionally
- The gunman who killed 19 students and two teachers at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, was initially said to have gotten into the school via a door left propped open by a teacher. The director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, Col. Steven McCraw, who initially made that...
'He Had the Chance to Go in
and Save the Children'
Oct 22, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
'He Had the Chance to Go in and Save the Children'
Juan Maldonado is first Texas state trooper to be fired over his actions during Uvalde mass shooting
- Juan Maldonado was one of the first officers from the Texas Department of Public Safety to arrive on the scene of the Uvalde school shooting in May. Now, he's the first state trooper fired in the aftermath of the massacre that killed 19 students and two teachers, after a...
Oct 18, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Democrats Hear Common Theme After Latest Polls
'We peaked a little early'
- The latest polls ahead of next month's midterm elections have generally not been kind to Democrats, and the resulting sentiment is reflected in two similar headlines out on Tuesday: "Democrats worry they peaked too soon ahead of midterms," reads one at the Hill . "Democrats' midterm hopes...
Uvalde School District
Shuts Down Police Force
Oct 7, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Uvalde School District Shuts Down Police Force
All officers are suspended, and superintendent decided to retire
- In the face of bitter criticism and unanswered questions about the law enforcement response to the Uvalde mass shooting, the Texas school district on Friday announced that it has suspended its entire police force. District officials said they've asked for state troopers to fill in at campuses and extracurricular...
Grieving Uvalde Dad Gets
Poignant, Unsettling Tattoo
Sep 21, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
Grieving Uvalde Dad Gets Poignant, Unsettling Tattoo
Brett Cross' 10-year-old son was among the students killed
- In July, the
published video from the hallway where police officers waited to confront the gunman who killed 19 children and two teachers at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, on May 24. An editor's note was attached to the video: "The sounds of children screaming...
Uvalde Survivors Suffer
Even as School Resumes
Sep 5, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Uvalde Survivors Suffer Even as School Resumes
For some, PTSD symptoms are just beginning to surface
- One girl runs and hides when she sees thin people with long hair similar to the gunman's who stormed into her Uvalde school and killed 21 people. One boy stopped making friends and playing with animals. A third child feels her heart race when she's reminded of the...
Billboards in California
Warn Against Moving to Texas
Aug 28, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Billboards in California Warn Against Moving to Texas
Billboards in LA, SF invoke Uvalde massacre
- Mysterious billboards have gone up in Los Angeles and San Francisco invoking the Uvalde school massacre to urge people not to move to Texas. CBS Bay Area reports that the billboards feature a sinister figure in a hooded top and the words: "The Texas dream died in Uvalde. Don'...
Uvalde School Police Chief Fired
Aug 24, 2022 10:24 PM CDT
Uvalde School Police Chief Fired
School board terminates Pete Arredondo over botched response to mass shooting
- Exactly three months after the shooting massacre at a Uvalde, Texas, elementary school left 19 children and two teachers dead, the school district fired its police chief. Pete Arredondo, who coordinated the law enforcement response to the mass shooting, had been on administrative leave since June, and in addition to...
and a Hand, at Game
Aug 24, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
Uvalde Survivor Receives Applause, and a Hand, at Game
Mayah Zamora, 10, was unable to face returning home
- A 10-year-old girl who survived the Uvalde mass shooting has been honored by the Houston Astros as their hero. Mayah Zamora threw out the first pitch before the game Tuesday in Houston against the Minnesota Twins, was named hero of the month by the Carlos Correa Foundation, and learned of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.