Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Uvalde mass shooting
Stories 1 - 20 |
Uvalde School Board Cancels
Meeting on Firing Police Chief
Jul 22, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Uvalde School Board Cancels Meeting on Firing Police Chief
District cites 'due process requirements' in postponing discussion on Arredondo
: The meeting scheduled for Saturday in which Uvalde school officials were to discuss and possibly decide whether to fire district Chief Pete Arredondo has been called off. The district announced the cancellation in a statement Friday, citing "due process requirements" and a request by Arredondo's lawyer, the...
Bo Jackson Stepped Up to
Help Pay for Uvalde Funerals
Jul 22, 2022 4:26 AM CDT
Bo Jackson Stepped Up to Help Pay for Uvalde Funerals
'It’s just not right for parents to bury their kids,' former MLB, NFL player says
- Former sports superstar Bo Jackson helped pay for the funerals of the 19 children and two teachers killed in the Uvalde school massacre in May, revealing himself as one of the previously anonymous donors who covered costs for families after one of the deadliest classroom shootings in US history. Jackson,...
on Uvalde Killings
Details Total Failure
Jul 17, 2022 8:00 PM CDT
Texas Report on Uvalde Killings Details Total Failure
Legislative investigation finds 'egregious poor decision making' in response to Robb Elementary
- A Texas legislative report released Sunday spreads blame among law enforcement, the Uvalde school district, social media platforms, and the gunman's family in the mass shooting that killed 19 children and two teachers. "Systemic failures and egregious poor decision making" allowed the gunman to kill at will for...
Mayor Calls Paper
'Chicken' for Releasing
Jul 13, 2022 4:28 PM CDT
Mayor Calls Paper 'Chicken' for Releasing Uvalde Footage
Families 'don't need to relive that'
- Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin slammed the
and KVUE Tuesday for releasing surveillance video taken inside Robb Elementary School during the May 24 mass shooting. The mayor, speaking during a town council meeting Tuesday night, called the move "one of the most chicken things I've ever seen,...
Families React to
Uvalde Video Release:
'Who Do You Think You Are?'
Jul 13, 2022 6:15 AM CDT
Families React to Uvalde Video Release: 'Who Do You Think You Are?'
Hallway video shows cops in the hallway for nearly an hour while gunman was inside classroom
- A day after details were released of the surveillance video from a Robb Elementary School hallway on the day of the Uvalde, Texas, massacre, the video itself is out. The
obtained the footage, and on Tuesday released a four-minute video showing critical highlights, as well as a lightly...
Jul 12, 2022 5:37 AM CDT
Video From Uvalde School Hallway Shows Police Waiting
It's not clear when video might be released
has viewed a 77-minute surveillance video from the hallway of Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, on the day a gunman massacred 19 students and two teachers,
reports. The footage is not graphic, but offers what
calls "an unabridged view of police...
Officer Had Rifle Aimed
at Gunman as He
Entered Uvalde School
Jul 6, 2022 4:34 PM CDT
Officer Had Rifle Aimed at Gunman as He Entered Uvalde School
Report details 3 missed opportunities to thwart school shooting
- Three major opportunites to thwart the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School were missed and two of them involved police, according to the Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training Center—ALERRT—at Texas State University. The report was commissioned by the Texas Department of Public Safety to examine the much-criticized...
Police: Parade Shooting Was
Planned Weeks in Advance
Jul 5, 2022 12:33 PM CDT
Police: Parade Shooting Was Planned Weeks in Advance
Authorities have to yet talk about a potential motive
- Authorities provided an update Tuesday on the investigation into Monday's parade shooting in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park, but the big question continues to elude them—why? "We have no information to suggest at this point it was racially motivated, motivated by religion, or any other protected...
Arredondo Says He's
Quitting City Office
Jul 2, 2022 2:20 PM CDT
Arredondo Says He's Quitting City Office
Schools police chief calls resigning from council 'the best decision for Uvalde'
- The schools police chief blamed for law enforcement's handling of the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School says he's resigning from his new position on the Uvalde City Council. Pete Arredondo was elected May 7 and sworn in to office a week after 19 students and two teachers...
Final Victim of Uvalde Shooting,
'Sweetest Little Boy, Is Buried
Jun 25, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Final Victim of Uvalde Shooting, 'Sweetest Little Boy, Is Buried
Families, community have a long process ahead of them, experts say
- Funeral services were held Saturday for Uziyah Garcia, 10, the final victim of the mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas, to be buried. The funeral took place at Immanuel Baptist Church in San Angelo, where the boy lived until last year, the
Dallas Morning News
reports. Nineteen children and two teachers...
Uvalde School District Puts
Police Chief on Leave
Jun 22, 2022 6:50 PM CDT
Uvalde School District Puts Police Chief on Leave
Texas official criticized Pete Arredondo in legislative hearing
- The Uvalde school district's police chief was put on leave Wednesday following allegations that he erred in his response to the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School last month. Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District Superintendent Hal Harrell said that he put Pete Arredondo on administrative leave and that another...
The War of Words
Continues in Uvalde
Jun 22, 2022 7:37 AM CDT
The War of Words Continues in Uvalde
Texas Department of Public Safety head, city mayor air their grievances
- On Tuesday we reported on the head of the Texas Department of Public Safety's forceful, scathing denunciation of the decisions made by local police during the mass shooting in Uvalde. Our story didn't contain one standout piece of information given in testimony before a special state Senate committee...
for a Key
Jun 21, 2022 1:23 PM CDT
'He Waited for a Key That Was Never Needed'
Texas official denounces police response in Uvalde school shooting
- The police official in charge at Robb Elementary School while a gunman was killing students and teachers inside "decided to put the lives of officers ahead of the lives of children," the head of the Texas State Police said Tuesday. In testimony before a special state Senate committee...
Yet More Questions
Are Raised Regarding
Police Response in Uvalde
Jun 21, 2022 1:59 AM CDT
Yet More Questions Are Raised Regarding Police Response in Uvalde
Officers arrived earlier, and with more gear, than originally thought: reports
- Days after the revelation that police responding to the Uvalde school massacre last month didn't try the Robb Elementary School classroom door behind which the shooter was killing 21 people, another revelation raises more questions about the law enforcement response to the tragedy: According to documents and surveillance footage...
Video: Police Didn't Try
Uvalde Classroom Door
Jun 19, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Video: Police Didn't Try Uvalde Classroom Door
Law enforcement source says door might have been unlocked
- In the 77 minutes that a Texas gunman was alone in two connected classrooms with Robb Elementary students and teachers, police didn't try to open the door, a law enforcement source said. Police later claimed they couldn't get into the rooms and were hunting for a key or...
School Police Chief
Explains His Actions
Jun 10, 2022 6:50 AM CDT
Embattled Uvalde School Police Chief Explains His Actions
Pete Arredondo gives extensive interview for first time since school shooting
- In his first extensive public comments since the Robb Elementary School massacre in Uvalde, Texas, school district police chief Pete Arredondo tells the
he did not consider himself the incident commander, though that's the way the state Department of Public Safety has described him, and that he...
to Be Buried Side by Side
Jun 8, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Uvalde Sweethearts to Be Buried Side by Side
Annabell Rodriguez, Xavier Lopez would text each other 'I love you,' say their moms
- As toddlers, Annabell Rodriguez and Xavier Lopez played together at a trailer park where Xavier lived alongside Annabell's relatives. When the pair met again on the first day of fourth grade at Robb Elementary in Uvalde, Texas, they had no memory of those playdates, but they liked each other...
11-Year-Old Uvalde Survivor
Tells Her Story to Congress
Jun 8, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
11-Year-Old Uvalde Survivor Tells Her Story to Congress
'I don't feel safe at school,' says Miah Cerrillo
- A House panel is hearing this week from people affected by the mass shootings in Uvalde and Buffalo , and testimony on Wednesday drew particular attention—it came from an 11-year-old survivor of the Uvalde school shooting. In the prerecorded video , fourth grader Miah Cerrillo recalled how she and her classmates...
At Uvalde City Council
Meeting, a Big No-Show
Jun 8, 2022 6:17 AM CDT
At Uvalde City Council Meeting, a Big No-Show
Embattled school police chief Pete Arredondo, newly elected to council, bailed on his first meeting
- The Texas school district police chief who's been accused of waiting too long to order law enforcement to confront the gunman at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde has said that he'd "eventually" answer questions about the mass shooting that killed 19 students and two teachers last month....
McConaughey: They Had
to Identify Uvalde Victim
From These Shoes
Jun 7, 2022 8:42 PM CDT
McConaughey: They Had to Identify Uvalde Victim From These Shoes
Actor makes emotional speech at White House
- Matthew McConaughey made a surprise appearance at the White House on Tuesday and discussed some of the victims of the school shooting in his hometown, including 10-year-old Maite Rodriguez, who wanted to be a marine biologist. She wore green Converse shoes "with a heart she had hand drawn on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche in Worse Condition Than Last Reported
After Trump Raid, Republicans Call to Investigate, Defund FBI
Rare Diagnosis 'Knocked Out' Ashton Kutcher's Vision, Hearing
Race Car Driver Has Surprising Confession About Real-World Driving
Democrats Turn 'Brandon' Meme Around to Praise Biden
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.