Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
for Ukraine, Gets
Jun 21, 2022 6:20 AM CDT
Nobel Winner Sells Medal for Ukraine, Gets Huge Price
Journalist Dmitry Muratov's gold prize went for a staggering $103.5M; proceeds will go to UNICEF
- Ukrainian children and their families who've been uprooted from their homes due to the Russian-led invasion are about to get a boost from a benevolent benefactor. Dmitry Muratov, editor-in-chief of Russia's independent
newspaper, announced earlier this year that he was selling the gold Nobel Peace Prize...
With First Lady
May 7, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Refugees Share 'Heartbreaking' Stories With First Lady
Jill Biden visits mothers, children at school in Romania
- Jill Biden on Saturday heard heartbreaking stories from Ukrainian women and children who fled Russia's war and found safe haven across the border in Romania. She praised the Romanian government and relief organizations for the range of humanitarian aid they are providing to refugees, the AP reports. At a...
Americans Can Sponsor
Apr 26, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Americans Can Sponsor Ukrainian Refugees
US government unveils new program
- Americans can now sign up to be prospective sponsors of specific Ukrainians looking to come to the US. Border officials have admitted 15,000 Ukrainians without valid travel documents in the past three months, with most of those entering through the US-Mexico border "after multi-flight trips from Eastern Europe,...
A Dad's Emotional Plea: 'We
Left All Our Lego in Ukraine'
Apr 11, 2022 7:53 AM CDT
A Dad's Emotional Plea: 'We Left All Our Lego in Ukraine'
Donations pour in after Igor Sidorov's ask on Facebook for his 11-year-old son
- While much of the coverage of Russia's invasion of Ukraine has focused on the destruction and carnage, there've also been some more "poignant [glimpses] of what people have lost and left behind," per Irish broadcaster RTE. Case in point: 11-year-old Andrii Sidorov, who had to abandon...
Julian Lennon Sings the
Song He Vowed Not to Sing
Apr 11, 2022 12:40 AM CDT
Julian Lennon Sings the Song He Vowed Not to Sing
It was the artist's first-ever public performance of his father's 1971 hit 'Imagine'
- On Saturday, Julian Lennon gave a public performance of his father's iconic hit "Imagine" for the first time ever. Accompanied by guitarist Nuno Bettencourt and a host of candles, the 59-year-old son of John Lennon and first wife Cynthia "presented the cover version of his father's...
Spielberg's 'Red Coat' Girl
Has a Real-Life Role Now
Apr 9, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Spielberg's 'Red Coat' Girl Has a Real-Life Role Now
Oliwia Dabrowska of Poland is helping Ukrainian refugees
- The world knows her as the girl in the red coat from Steven Spielberg's
. But Oliwia Dabrowska—who was just 3 when she provided the only splash of color in the Holocaust film—is now 32 and helping Ukrainian refugees, reports Deadline . Dabrowska lives in Poland,...
US Plans to Welcome
100K Ukrainian Refugees
Mar 24, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
US Plans to Welcome 100K Ukrainian Refugees
Programs will focus on those with family already in the US
- More than 3.6 million people have fled Ukraine since the Russian invasion began a month ago, and the White House says the US will do its part to welcome refugees and assist those who remain in Europe. In a statement Thursday morning, the White House said the US is...
Selling Medal for
Mar 22, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Nobel Winner Selling Medal for Noble Reasons
Russia's Dmitry Muratov, who won peace prize last year, wants funds raised to assist Ukraine refugees
- People from all over the world are donating where they can to help the millions of refugees streaming out of Ukraine as Russia continues its invasion there—but very few have Nobel Peace Prize gold they can hawk to free up some funds. Russia's Dmitry Muratov is one of...
Ukraine's 'Let It Go' Girl
Now a Refugee in Poland
Mar 21, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Ukraine's 'Let It Go' Girl Now a Refugee in Poland
Amelia Anisovych, 7, sang her national anthem at a charity concert
- The young Ukrainian girl who went viral for singing a hit song from the movie
in a Kyiv bomb shelter has performed her country's anthem live on stage at a charity concert in Poland, where she's now a refugee. Thousands of people waved lights in the darkened...
UN: 120K Ukrainian Refugees
Have Flooded the Borders
Feb 26, 2022 11:45 AM CST
UN: 120K Ukrainian Refugees Have Flooded the Borders
United Nations agency says there could be up to 4M refugees if Russia conflict worsens
- Dragging suitcases and carrying children, tens of thousands of Ukrainians rushed to the borders Saturday as invading Russian troops pressed their advance into Ukraine, moving toward the country's capital of Kyiv. Nearly 120,000 people have so far fled Ukraine into Poland and other neighboring countries in the wake...
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Pope's Comments on Same-Sex Unions Make Waves
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
Webb Telescope Makes 'Baffling' Discovery
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.