Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Meta Slammed for
Canada News Ban
Aug 18, 2023 6:37 AM CDT
Meta Slammed for 'Stupid, Dangerous' Canada News Ban
Move has made it harder for people to share information about wildfire evacuations
- Meta has banned Canadians from sharing news content on Facebook and Instagram amid an ongoing dispute with the federal government—and experts say that with wildfire evacuations underway, the timing couldn't be worse. Residents of Yellowknife, capital of the Northwest Territories, have been told to get out by noon...
Content: I 'Stood
Up and Screamed'
Aug 17, 2023 8:26 AM CDT
Moderator of Facebook Content: I 'Stood Up and Screamed'
As employees sue, CEO of Sama laments harmful content, wishes she'd never signed a contract
- Online content moderation is a stressful job, but someone's got to do it—though now an East African firm is saying it wishes its workers weren't those someones. Per the
, employees are now bringing lawsuits against both outsourcing company Sama and Meta, Facebook's parent, after they...
Meta Results Beat
Jul 26, 2023 4:52 PM CDT
Meta Results Beat Analysts' Expectations
Company reports strong results as advertising rebounds
- Facebook parent company Meta Platforms posted stronger-than-expected results for the second quarter on Wednesday, buoyed by a rebound in online advertising after a post-pandemic slump. The Menlo Park, California-based company earned $7.79 billion, or $2.98 per share, in the April-June period, the AP reports. That's up 16%...
Have a Problem
With Its Shiny
Jul 25, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
Twitter May Have a Problem With Its Shiny New Logo
Trademark infringement questions arise over news that Meta, Microsoft also have 'X' registered
- "X" may not mark the spot after all for Elon Musk in his attempted rebrand of Twitter. Although Musk has officially unveiled the 24th letter of the alphabet as his social media site's new name and identity, Insider reports that rival Meta appears to own the trademark for...
It's a '5-Alarm Fire'
for Tax-Prep Firms
Jul 12, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
It's a '5-Alarm Fire' for Tax-Prep Firms
H&R Block, others allegedly shared millions of taxpayers' private info with tech firms
- Members of Congress are calling for criminal charges against some of America's largest tax-prep companies for allegedly sharing tens of millions of taxpayers' legally protected data with Google and Meta. As far back as 2011, H&R Block, TaxSlayer, and TaxAct allegedly shared private information entered into its website...
Jul 10, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
Sarah Silverman Sues ChatGPT Over Copyright
Comedian and two other authors sue creator, as well as Zuckerberg's Meta
- Entertainers and creators have already had it with AI. That's at least one takeaway from the news—reported by the Verge —that comedian Sarah Silverman and two authors have filed copyright infringement lawsuits against the creator of ChatGPT as well as Mark Zuckerberg's Meta. Silverman and writers...
Has Beef With
Jul 7, 2023 12:34 PM CDT
Jack Dorsey Has Beef With Meta's Threads
Co-founder complains that Meta just ripped off his creation
- There are legions of people bemoaning Mark Zuckerberg's new "Twitter killer" app (and millions of others signing on to it at a dizzying rate ), Threads , and one of them is predictably Jack Dorsey. The co-founder and former CEO of aforementioned Twitter griped about Meta ripping off his...
Threads Is Breaking
Jul 7, 2023 6:18 AM CDT
Threads Is Breaking Download Records
Zuckerberg says new app was downloaded 30M times in first day
- "Round one of this thing is off to a good start," Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg remarked on the company's Threads social network Thursday. He said that, in "as good a start as we could have hoped for," the app, which went live Wednesday night, had...
Twitter Threatens Meta
With Lawsuit Over Threads
Jul 6, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
Twitter Threatens Meta With Lawsuit Over Threads
Rival accuses Zuckerberg of hiring former employees to acquire trade secrets
- Twitter has welcomed Threads aboard by threatening to sue its owner, Meta. CEO Mark Zuckerberg received a letter hours after Thread's launch Wednesday accusing the more senior social media platform of "systematic, willful, and unlawful misappropriation of Twitter's trade secrets and other intellectual property," Semafor reports...
Isn't One I Want
Jun 9, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
Zuckerberg: Apple's Vision of Computing Isn't One I Want
Meta chief isn't impressed with rival's new headset
- Meta's Quest and Quest Pro headsets have been the leading goggles for accessing the somewhat moribund metaverse. However, Apple's announcement of its long-awaited entry into the augmented and virtual reality game, the Vision Pro , changed the game immediately—and according to
Meta co-founder Mark Zuckerberg has...
Meta Unloads Giphy,
Is Out Hundreds of Millions
May 24, 2023 6:47 AM CDT
Meta Unloads Giphy, Is Out Hundreds of Millions
Facebook parent sells GIF search engine to Shutterstock for $53M after UK regulators' decision
- In 2020, Meta scooped up Giphy, a GIF search engine used by Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and other platforms, for $400 million. On Tuesday, Facebook's parent company announced it had sold the product to stock image service Shutterstock for a mere $53 million—effectively taking a nearly $350 million loss....
EU's Fine Against Amazon Was
Huge. Meta's Is Even Bigger
May 22, 2023 6:05 AM CDT
EU's Fine Against Amazon Was Huge. Meta's Is Even Bigger
Facebook parent hit with record $1.3B penalty in longtime privacy case over US cybersnooping fears
- The European Union slapped Meta with a record $1.3 billion privacy fine Monday and ordered it to stop transferring user data across the Atlantic by October, the latest salvo in a decade-long case sparked by US cybersnooping fears. The penalty fine of 1.2 billion euros from Ireland's...
Is Dead, and Meta
May Be Next
May 9, 2023 4:24 PM CDT
The Metaverse Is Dead, and Meta May Be Next
Ed Zitron at Business Insider writes a scathing indictment of the CEO's leadership
- The Metaverse still exists, but Ed Zitron at Business Insider has written an obituary for Mark Zuckerberg's brainchild. Literally: "The Metaverse, the once-buzzy technology that promised to allow users to hang out awkwardly in a disorientating video-game-like world, has died after being abandoned by the business world,"...
Infamous Online Scammer
May Have Been Unveiled
Apr 2, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Infamous Online Scammer May Have Been Unveiled
ProPublica digs into lucrative story of 'OBN,' who has tricked Instagram into banning accounts
- It's no surprise to learn that celebrities, even lesser ones, can make big money plugging products on Instagram. And as ProPublica explains, that has led to a lucrative hustle scammy in nature by those who know how to manipulate the system. The story focuses on an mysterious online figure...
Zuckerberg on Latest Big Job
Cuts: 'This Will Be Tough'
Mar 14, 2023 8:57 AM CDT
Zuckerberg on Latest Big Job Cuts: 'This Will Be Tough'
Facebook parent Meta to slash 10K jobs in recruiting, tech, business through May
- Facebook parent Meta is slashing another 10,000 jobs and will not fill 5,000 open positions as the social media pioneer cuts costs. The company said Tuesday it will reduce the size of its recruiting team and make further cuts in its tech groups in late April, and then...
New Meta App Could Be
Rival to Twitter, Mastodon
Mar 10, 2023 2:28 PM CST
New Meta App Could Be Rival to Twitter, Mastodon
Sources say decentralized text-based app is codenamed P92
- After apparently imitating Twitter's pay for verification plan , Meta is now working on its own Twitter-like service. Facebook's parent company has confirmed a report from MoneyControl that it is in the early stages of creating an app that could be a rival to Twitter and other competitors. "...
Mar 7, 2023 1:29 PM CST
More Meta Layoffs Ahead, Before Zuckerberg's Paternity Leave
Thousands of employees could be let go as soon as this week as company looks to keep flattening
- Mark Zuckerberg is set to go on "imminent" paternity leave for the birth of his third child, and another round of his employees are set to go on permanent leave before that, reports Gizmodo . The number of heads to roll isn't clear, but Bloomberg says, citing insiders, that...
Meta: Give Us Money, ID
and We'll 'Verify' Your FB, IG
Feb 20, 2023 9:19 AM CST
Meta: Give Us Money, ID and We'll 'Verify' Your FB, IG
You'll get a special badge for that $14.99 you're forking over ($11.99 for the web)
- Last year, Elon Musk's Twitter launched its Twitter Blue subscription service , a paid verification that offers users a blue check mark next to their name, as well as other perks, like being able to edit your tweets. Now Meta is following suit with something similar: CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced...
in a Decade
Feb 2, 2023 1:51 PM CST
Meta Stock Is Having Best Day in a Decade
Parent company of Facebook has investors optimistic about 2023
- Thursday is turning out to be a
good day for Facebook parent company Meta and CEO Mark Zuckerberg. Shares in the company had surged 26% by midday, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Assuming the pace keeps up, this will wind up being the company's best stock day since...
Meta Says It Lost Nearly
$14B on VR Project Last Year
Feb 2, 2023 6:36 AM CST
Meta Says It Lost Nearly $14B on VR Project Last Year
Zuckerberg says 2023 will be 'year of efficiency'
- While Mark Zuckerberg's bet on virtual reality could still pay off, it's definitely been an expensive gamble: Meta said Wednesday that its Reality Labs division had a $4.28 billion operating loss in the fourth quarter of 2022, bringing its losses for the year to $13.7 billion,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Gunmen Open Fire on Teens, Killing 3, Over Old Grievance
Woman Swept Into Ocean From Popular Washington Beach
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.