Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Sandberg's Exit Comes Under
Shadow of Company Probe
Jun 3, 2022 11:41 AM CDT
Sandberg's Exit Comes Under Shadow of Company Probe
As Meta looks into alleged misuse of company resources, others debate her legacy
- As the dust starts to settle on the Wednesday announcement of Sheryl Sandberg's farewell as chief operating officer of Facebook, now known as Meta, the inevitable "But why, really?" is being bandied about. Sandberg, 52, will remain on the company's board of directors and has said she'...
Jun 1, 2022 4:12 PM CDT
Sheryl Sandberg Plans 'Next Chapter'
Facebook's No. 2 says she'll leave her job in the fall
- Sheryl Sandberg, the most prominent Facebook executive after Mark Zuckerberg and an advocate for women in the workplace, announced Wednesday that she'll leave her post as chief operating officer in the fall. "When I took this job in 2008, I hoped I would be in this role for...
Report: Metaverse Rife
With Rape, 'Toxic Content'
May 30, 2022 1:19 PM CDT
Report: Metaverse Rife With Rape, 'Toxic Content'
Researchers urge Meta to weigh the potential harms and protect users
- The metaverse is still a work in progress, but it’s already attracting the worst of the internet. Per Business Insider, a researcher's avatar was raped in Meta-owned Horizon Worlds "within an hour after she donned her Oculus virtual-reality headset." It's one of several examples described...
Facebook Investigates Whether
Sandberg Tried to Block Article
Apr 21, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Facebook Investigates Whether Sandberg Tried to Block Article
Executive formed team to stop news site from running story about her boyfriend
- Facebook is looking into whether Sheryl Sandberg violated company rules by pressuring a news site to spike an article on her boyfriend, possibly involving her employees in the effort. Sandberg, the chief operating officer of Meta, contacted the website edition of the
, a UK tabloid, in 2016 and...
Apr 14, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
Zuckerberg's Security Costs Reach Princely Sums
Facebook parent Meta spent $27M last year to keep him safe
- Facebook parent company Meta saves a lot of money on salary and bonuses for its CEO, as Mark Zuckerberg receives only a token $1 per year. His security costs, on the other hand, are another story. The company revealed in an SEC filing that it paid a record $26.8...
Wisconsin Mom Sues Meta
Over Teen Son's Suicide
Apr 12, 2022 4:03 PM CDT
Wisconsin Mom Sues Meta Over Teen Son's Suicide
He 'became addicted to defendants’ social media product' lawsuit states
- A Wisconsin mother whose son took his own life in 2014 says he was a normal, sports-loving teen until he got sucked into social media. Donna Dawley on Monday filed a lawsuit against Facebook and Instagram parent company Meta, alleging that the company deliberately designed algorithms that made the platforms...
AM Routine Helps Zuckerberg
Cope with Daily Bad News
Apr 3, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
AM Routine Helps Zuckerberg Cope with Daily Bad News
Morning headlines and emails often leaving him feeling like he's been 'punched'
- Most mornings, Mark Zuckerberg awakens to what he calls "a fair amount of bad news and new things that I need to absorb," per Insider , which quotes a recent interview on the Tim Ferriss Show . To relieve himself and prepare for the day ahead, Zuck explains he tries...
Meta Execs Are Staying
a Long Way From the Office
Mar 24, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
Meta Execs Are Staying a Long Way From the Office
Analysts are split on the merits of having a scattered leadership team
- If Mark Zuckerberg and other top Meta execs were rank-and-file workers, they might get accused of taking the company's work-from-home policy a little too far. They have scattered far from Meta's Silicon Valley headquarters, with Zuckerberg spending a lot of time in Hawaii, Instagram head Adam Mosseri working...
Dirty Laundry at Meta
Signals a Changing Culture
Mar 19, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Dirty Laundry at Meta Signals a Changing Culture
The perks of working in Silicon Valley are lessening but not vanishing
- Mark Zuckerberg and Meta can act as low-hanging fruit to anyone who likes to disparage tech billionaires and their empires. Sometimes, employees are also easy picking, thanks to compensation and benefits that may seem lavish to many Americans. Consider the Meta engineer who took to the anonymous professional network Blind...
Zelensky 'Surrender' Deepfake
May Be Just the Start
Mar 17, 2022 9:24 AM CDT
Zelensky 'Surrender' Deepfake May Be Just the Start
Meta has taken phony clip down, but experts warn there could be more, and better ones, to come
- Earlier this month, Ukraine's military intel agency issued a warning about the possibility of Russia using deepfake technology to spread disinformation in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict . That has now apparently come to pass: Facebook parent Meta has removed a phony clip purporting to show Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky surrendering...
Starting Monday, No
More Instagram in Russia
Mar 12, 2022 8:15 AM CST
Starting Monday, No More Instagram in Russia
After same move on FB, nation bans social media site due to 'calls for violence' against Russians
- Earlier this month, Russia blocked access to Facebook. Now citizens are about to lose access to Instagram, a widening of the net that's "squeezing the free flow of information online for Russians," per NPR . Insider reports that Roskomnadzor, Russia's media overseer, announced Thursday that starting Monday,...
Meta Promotes Clegg
to Face Regulatory Heat
Feb 16, 2022 5:42 PM CST
Meta Promotes Clegg to Face Regulatory Heat
Former UK deputy prime minister will be on level with Zuckerberg, Sandberg
- Mark Zuckerberg has installed a former British political leader as the public point person for regulatory issues involving Meta. Nick Clegg will be the company's president of global affairs, the CEO announced, after joining Facebook in 2018 as vice president for global affairs and communications. Clegg's policy experience...
Feb 16, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Meta's Rebranding Continues—to Laughs
Twitter users, employees ridicule changes announced Tuesday
- Controversy-prone Meta is digging deeper into its overhaul with new company values revealed Tuesday. They didn't go over so well. As the
reports, the changes described at a virtual all-hands meeting—streamed for the first time on Facebook's virtual-reality platform, Horizon Venues—"were ridiculed by...
Peter Thiel to Leave
Facebook for Politics
Feb 7, 2022 7:10 PM CST
Peter Thiel to Leave Facebook for Politics
Longtime director, a mentor to Zuckerberg, will support Trump candidates
- Peter Thiel, a longtime member of Facebook's board known for his sometimes-contrarian views, will leave the company this year to focus on politics. He was an early investor in the company and joined the board in 2005, one year into the small startup's existence, CNN reports. He was...
Meta Plunge Knocks
Zuckerberg Out of
Top 10 Billionaires
Feb 4, 2022 5:13 AM CST
Meta Plunge Knocks Zuckerberg Out of Top 10 Billionaires
Bezos is set to get $20B richer
- Share price swings have brought the fortunes of two tech billionaires up—and down—by amounts equivalent to the GDPs of small countries. Shares in Meta, Facebook's parent company, plummeted 26% on Thursday, bringing Mark Zuckerberg's net worth down by around $29 billion to $85 billion, reports Reuters...
Meta Loses $200B
in Market Value
Feb 3, 2022 9:55 AM CST
Meta Loses $200B in Market Value Within Hours
Facebook's daily users fell in Q4 for the first time
- For the first time in its 18-year history, Facebook is losing more daily users than it's gaining—and Meta and its CEO are feeling the burn. Shares in the company plunged more than 20% in after-hours trading Wednesday, wiping out $200 billion in market value, after Facebook reported losing...
Artist: 'Metaverse' Insta Handle
Blocked After FB Name Change
Dec 14, 2021 9:25 AM CST
Artist: 'Metaverse' Insta Handle Blocked After FB Name Change
Australia's Thea-Mai Baumann used the 'metaverse' handle, then suddenly got blocked
- For nearly a decade, Thea-Mai Baumann, once the owner of an augmented-reality company called Metaverse Makeovers, used the Instagram handle "metaverse" to showcase her creative work. Last month, however, the Australian artist says she suddenly wasn't able to access her Insta, and she suspects Facebook's recent rebranding...
Don't Blame Us for
Dec 13, 2021 7:20 AM CST
Facebook Exec: Don't Blame Us for Misinfo, Blame Yourselves
Incoming Meta CTO Andrew Bosworth says individuals bear responsibility for the spread
- We all agree, for the most part, that the spread of misinformation has worsened today's politics and handling of contemporary health issues like COVID. What we may not all agree on, however, is the role that social media plays in promoting that spread. Andrew Bosworth, for instance, a longtime...
Bipartisan Group of AGs
Is Investigating Instagram
Nov 19, 2021 5:04 AM CST
Bipartisan Group of AGs Is Investigating Instagram
They say Meta ignored research about dangers posed to young people
- A group of state attorneys general is investigating the photo-sharing platform Instagram and its effects on children and young adults, saying its parent company Facebook—now called Meta Platforms—ignored internal research about the physical and mental health dangers it posed to young people. The investigation is led by a...
Internet Delights in Mocking
Facebook's New Name
Oct 29, 2021 7:06 AM CDT
Internet Delights in Mocking Facebook's New Name
'Changing name to Meat,' Wendy's quips
- Facebook has been accused of driving people apart—but commentators were near-unified in mocking the company after CEO Mark Zuckerberg revealed its new virtual-reality focused name Thursday. There were countless jokes about the name Meta, as well as concerns about what Zuckerberg is planning for what he calls the "...
Popular on Newser
Video Emerges of Giuliani Incident at Grocery Store
Why Some Jews, Muslims, See Roe Reversal as an Attack
John Cornyn's Brown v. Board of Education Tweet Causes Uproar
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
As House Burned, Georgia Mother Allegedly Killed 3 of Her Kids
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.