Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
COVID booster shots
Stories 1 - 20 |
Experts: Numbers on Updated
COVID Shots Are 'Abysmal'
Oct 27, 2023 12:26 PM CDT
Experts: Numbers on Updated COVID Shots Are 'Abysmal'
Per CDC, only 7% of adults, 2% of children have received most recent coronavirus vaccine
- A month after federal officials recommended new versions of COVID-19 vaccines, 7% of US adults and 2% of children have gotten a shot. One expert called the rates "abysmal," per the AP . The numbers, presented Thursday at a meeting held by the CDC, come from a national survey...
With His Arm
Sep 23, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
Biden Leads With His Arm in Encouraging Vaccinations
Doctor says president encourages everyone to catch up on shots
- President Biden caught up on vaccinations before urging everyone else to do the same. The White House announced Saturday that the president received a COVID booster vaccination and a flu shot on Friday,
reports. Biden recently was vaccinated against respiratory syncytial virus, Dr. Kevin O'Connor, the presidential...
Updated COVID Shots Part
of Plan to Avoid 'Tripledemic'
Sep 9, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Updated COVID Shots Part of Plan to Avoid 'Tripledemic'
Approval of updated vaccines expected within days, just in time for flu and RSV season
- Updated COVID-19 vaccines are coming soon, just in time to pair them with flu shots. Doctors hope enough people get vaccinated to help avert another "tripledemic" like last year, when hospitals were overwhelmed with an early flu season, an onslaught of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), and yet another winter...
Think We're Done
With COVID? It's
Not Done With Us
Aug 29, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Think We're Done With COVID? It's Not Done With Us
Illness is more manageable now, but late-summer wave shows our 'new normal' will include the virus
- If you're seeing a sudden uptick in people around you contracting COVID, more than three years after the start of the pandemic, and more than three months after the pandemic public health emergency was declared over , you're not imagining it. Per the
New York Times
, there's been...
COVID Vaccines Likely
Getting a Big Update
Jun 16, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
COVID Vaccines Likely Getting a Big Update
FDA advisers endorse updating the shots
- The COVID-19 vaccines are on track for a big recipe change this fall, the AP reports. Today’s vaccines still contain the original coronavirus strain, the one that started the pandemic—even though that was long ago supplanted by mutated versions as the virus rapidly evolves. Thursday, the Food and...
FDA Clears COVID Booster
for Seniors This Spring
Apr 18, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
FDA Clears COVID Booster for Seniors This Spring
Also for people with compromised immune systems
- US regulators on Tuesday cleared another COVID-19 booster dose for older adults and people with weak immune systems so they can shore up protection this spring—while taking steps to make coronavirus vaccinations simpler for everyone else, per the AP . The FDA said anyone 65 or older can opt to...
FDA Clears Bivalent COVID
Boosters for Kids 5 and Up
Oct 12, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
FDA Clears Bivalent COVID Boosters for Kids 5 and Up
The CDC now has to sign off
- The US on Wednesday authorized updated COVID-19 boosters for children as young as 5, seeking to expand protection ahead of an expected winter wave. Tweaked boosters rolled out for Americans 12 and older last month, doses modified to target today's most common and contagious omicron relative. While there wasn'...
Coming Soon to Americans'
Arms: a New Bivalent Booster
Aug 31, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Coming Soon to Americans' Arms: a New Bivalent Booster
This one also targets omicron versions BA.4 and BA.5
- The US on Wednesday authorized its first update to COVID-19 vaccines, booster doses that target today's most common omicron strain. Shots could begin within days. The move by the FDA tweaks the recipe of shots made by Pfizer and rival Moderna. Until now, COVID-19 vaccines have targeted the original...
Wait for the Next Booster,
Officials Tell Adults Under 50
Jul 29, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Wait for the Next Booster, Officials Tell Adults Under 50
Moderna, Pfizer assure government updated omicron version will be ready for fall
- Federal health officials have decided against approving a second booster shot of the coronavirus vaccine this summer for adults under 50, because a retooled version is so close to being ready. Pfizer and Moderna have assured the government their new boosters will be rolled out no later than September, the...
Pfizer Wants FDA to OK
Boosters for 5- to 11-Year-Olds
Apr 14, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Pfizer Wants FDA to OK Boosters for 5- to 11-Year-Olds
3rd dose among this set appears to offer significant antibody boost, even against omicron
- Pfizer said Thursday it wants to expand its COVID-19 booster shots to healthy elementary-age kids. US health authorities already urge everyone 12 and older to get one booster dose for the best protection against the newest variants—and recently gave the option of a second booster to those 50 and...
FDA Authorizes Second
Booster for Ages 50 and Older
Mar 29, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
FDA Authorizes Second Booster for Ages 50 and Older
CDC will weigh in next on the extra COVID shots
The FDA on Tuesday authorized a second booster shot for people ages 50 and older, reports the
. The Pfizer or Moderna shots won't be made available until the CDC weighs in, and the agency is expected to quickly back the extra booster for those whose first...
Moderna to FDA:
Authorize 4th Dose
for All Adults
Mar 18, 2022 12:21 AM CDT
Moderna to FDA: Authorize 4th Dose for All Adults
Drugmaker's reasoning: provide flexibility for providers to determine who needs one
- Drugmaker Moderna asked the FDA on Thursday to authorize a fourth shot of its COVID-19 vaccine as a booster dose for all adults, the AP reports. The request is broader than rival pharmaceutical company Pfizer's request earlier this week for the regulator to approve a booster shot for all...
Says 4th Dose
Mar 16, 2022 12:44 AM CDT
Pfizer CEO Says 4th Dose 'Is Necessary'
But he's hoping company will soon have a shot that works against all variants
Pfizer, along with its partner BioNTech, on Tuesday asked US regulators to authorize an additional COVID vaccine booster for seniors. The pharmaceutical company says data from Israel as well as an ongoing study of healthcare workers suggest those 65 and older would benefit from a fourth dose, the AP...
Studies Find No Rush
for Next Booster Shot
Feb 21, 2022 6:55 PM CST
Studies Find No Rush for Next Booster Shot
Antibodies produced after third dose appear to do well against variants
- It's reasonable to assume health officials will soon recommend a second booster shot of the coronavirus vaccine to maintain protection against COVID-19. Israel has made fourth shots available, per CNN . The UK plans to do so this spring for people over 75. In the US, the FDA said that...
FDA Slows Down Push
for Shots to Young Kids
Feb 11, 2022 2:32 PM CST
FDA Slows Down Push for Shots to Young Kids
Also, effectiveness of boosters appears to wane after 4 months
- Friday saw two notable developments on the vaccine front:
The FDA is putting the brakes on its rush to approve Pfizer shots for children 5 and younger, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. At this point, it looks like April at the earliest. On Friday, the agency reversed course
US COVID Death Toll
Feb 5, 2022 2:20 PM CST
US COVID Death Toll Approaches 1M
900,000 people have died, officials say
- The US death toll from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic is inching closer to 1 million as the Omicron variant rages throughout the world, the AP reports. More than 10% of the 900,000 Americans lost to the virus died after Dec. 12, per Reuters . “If you had told most...
Trials Are Now Underway
Jan 27, 2022 6:22 AM CST
Omicron-Specific Booster Trials Are Now Underway
Moderna cites 'long-term threat demonstrated by omicron's immune escape'
- The first participant has received a shot in Moderna's Phase 2 clinical trial of an omicron-specific vaccine booster. Moderna, which made the announcement Wednesday, expects to enroll 600 adults in the US study, including some who have already received a booster shot, per Reuters . "We are reassured by...
Jan 21, 2022 2:21 PM CST
New Data: Boosters Work Against Omicron
CDC releases real-world studies filling in the gaps on vaccine effectiveness
- Full vaccination provides the best—and safest—protection from the delta and omicron coronavirus variants, new studies released Friday by the CDC confirm. It's the first comprehensive examination of the vaccines' effectiveness in preventing hospitalization for omicron infections, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Booster shots were shown to make...
'Lot of Infections'
From Omicron After
4th Dose: Trial
Jan 18, 2022 7:27 AM CST
'Lot of Infections' From Omicron After 4th Dose: Trial
In preliminary study from Israel, the first of its kind, antibodies rise after 2nd booster, infections persist
- Preliminary results are in on a clinical trial testing the efficacy of a fourth COVID shot, the world's first, and when it comes to omicron, that booster isn't doing the job researchers had hoped for. The
Times of Israel
reports that, in a study that began last month...
to All Over 12
Jan 5, 2022 7:50 PM CST
CDC Change: Give Boosters to All Over 12
New policy provides for a clearer message to parents
- With coronavirus infections skyrocketing and schools at risk of shutting down, a panel of advisers on Wednesday urged the CDC to fight back by recommending 10 million young people receive the protection of a vaccine booster shot. CDC Director Rochelle Walensky agreed, the
reports. The change will allow...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
New Army Sniper Is a First
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.