Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Court Official Tampered With
Jury, Murdaugh's Attorneys Say
Sep 5, 2023 12:31 PM CDT
Court Official Tampered With Jury, Murdaugh's Attorneys Say
They want a new trial over the alleged actions of Rebecca Hill
- Alex Murdaugh wants a new murder trial, and detailed the reason why in a 65-page filing submitted Tuesday. His lawyers argued that jury tampering occurred, thereby denying him a fair trial, and included sworn affidavits from three jury members in their filing. Sources tell NBC News at least two jurors...
Man Who 'Repeatedly' Enabled
Alex Murdaugh Gets 7 Years
Aug 2, 2023 8:22 AM CDT
Man Who 'Repeatedly' Enabled Alex Murdaugh Gets 7 Years
Russell Laffitte was found guilty of wire and bank fraud in November
- The man who once headed a highly respected bank in the South Carolina Lowcountry will spend seven years in federal prison for helping convicted murderer Alex Murdaugh steal nearly $2 million from clients' legal settlements. Russell Laffitte was sentenced Tuesday after a jury found him guilty of six charges related...
Victim's Family Settles for
$15M in Murdaugh Boat Crash
Jul 18, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Victim's Family Settles for $15M in Murdaugh Boat Crash
Comes after judge refused to separate chain store, Alex Murdaugh in wrongful death case
- The family of a teen killed in a boat crash, which prosecutors say began the financial downfall of double murderer Alex Murdaugh, has reached a $15 million deal to settle a lawsuit against a convenience store chain that sold Murdaugh's son alcohol while underage, the AP reports. Sunday's...
Second Autopsy Conducted
on Stephen Smith
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 8, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
Second Autopsy Conducted on Stephen Smith
Teen was found dead near Murdaugh property in 2015
- Stephen Smith, the 19-year-old found dead near the Murdaugh family property in South Carolina in 2015, can "really rest at ease" now that a second autopsy has been conducted, a lawyer for his mother says. Eric Bland says Smith's body was exhumed for the autopsy and returned to...
Teen Found Dead
Near Murdaugh Home
Was Murdered: Lawyer
Mar 22, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
Teen Found Dead Near Murdaugh Home Was Murdered: Lawyer
SLED believes Stephen Smith was intentionally killed, according to attorney Eric Bland
- Stephen Smith's body has yet to be exhumed, but authorities already consider his 2015 death as murder. An attorney for Smith's mother said Tuesday that the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division believes the 19-year-old's death was a homicide. The South Carolina State Highway Patrol initially said Smith...
Alex Murdaugh's Brother
Doesn't Know What to Think
Mar 7, 2023 12:42 PM CST
Alex Murdaugh's Brother Doesn't Know What to Think
'Not knowing is the hardest thing,' says Randy Murdaugh
- Alex Murdaugh's older brother isn't convinced that the South Carolina lawyer really killed his wife and son. "The not knowing is the worst thing," Randy Murdaugh tells the
New York Times
following his brother's conviction. He says Alex's arrest for murder last July left...
Goes to the Cops
Mar 7, 2023 1:53 AM CST
Buster Murdaugh Goes to the Cops
Complains that media are harassing him and his girlfriend
- Buster Murdaugh says he and his girlfriend are being harassed by the media since his father, Alex Murdaugh, was convicted of murdering Buster's mother, Maggie, and brother, Paul. On Sunday morning, Buster Murdaugh called police to make a complaint about a tabloid photo of him inside his condo in...
Alex Murdaugh Receives
Two Life Sentences
Mar 3, 2023 9:18 AM CST
Alex Murdaugh Receives Two Life Sentences
He again proclaims his innocence in murder of his wife and son in South Carolina
- Alex Murdaugh received no mercy on Friday from the judge in his double-murder trial. One day after he was convicted of killing his wife and son , the 54-year-old was sentenced to life without parole, reports the AP . He actually received
consecutive life sentences, per CNN . As the hearing started,...
Murdaugh Prosecution: Why
Would an Innocent Man Lie?
Mar 2, 2023 5:01 AM CST
Murdaugh Prosecution: Why Would an Innocent Man Lie?
Prosecution presented closing arguments Wednesday, defense to follow
- The prosecution gave its closing arguments Wednesday in Alex Murdaugh's murder trial, and they argued that he was the only one with the means, motive, and opportunity to kill his wife Maggie and son Paul. Video presented at the trial pushed Murdaugh to admit he had lied to investigators...
At Murdaugh Trial,
Defense Floats a New Theory
Feb 28, 2023 5:49 AM CST
At Murdaugh Trial, Defense Floats a New Theory
Expert says there must have been 2 killers
- A defense expert in the double murder trial of disgraced South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh testified Monday that he thinks two different shooters killed Murdaugh's wife and son, the AP reports. While the idea has hovered over the trial because two different weapons were used and no evidence has...
The Defense Made a Big Deal
Out of Murdaugh's Height
Feb 18, 2023 2:10 PM CST
The Defense Made a Big Deal Out of Murdaugh's Height
Meanwhile, prosecutors rested their case on Friday
- The defense team at disgraced South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh’s double murder trial finally get their chance to present their version of events after more than three weeks of testimony. Prosecutors rested their case Friday after presenting 61 witnesses and introducing more than 550 pieces of evidence over 17...
Murdaugh's Drug Habit
Cost $50K—Per Week
Feb 16, 2023 8:34 AM CST
Murdaugh's Drug Habit Cost $50K—Per Week
Admission triggers a blow to South Carolina lawyer's murder defense
- The judge in Alex Murdaugh's murder trial made a dramatic reversal Wednesday after defense attorneys claimed authorities had failed to investigate lines of evidence that could point to other possible killers in the June 2021 murders of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh. During cross-examination, defense attorney Jim Griffin asked SLED...
Alex Murdaugh Can't Keep
Jury in Dark on Money Woes
Feb 7, 2023 8:25 AM CST
Alex Murdaugh Can't Keep Jury in Dark on Money Woes
Judge rules against him at double-murder trial
- A judge ruled Monday he will allow jurors to hear evidence that disgraced South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh was stealing money from his law firm and clients and committing other financial crimes long before his wife and son were killed in 2021. Murdaugh, 54, is standing trial in the shootings...
Video Shown at Trial
Seems to Contradict
Alex Murdaugh's Alibi
Feb 2, 2023 6:31 AM CST
Video Shown at Trial Seems to Contradict Alex Murdaugh's Alibi
Prosecutors say video indicates Murdaugh was indeed at the scene of the crime
- Alex Murdaugh says he was taking a nap and then heading out to visit his ailing mother as his wife and son were killed on the family property in June 2021, and that he was not at the dog kennels where they were fatally shot. But jurors in Murdaugh's...
After Murders, Murdaugh
Kept Mentioning Boat Crash
Jan 27, 2023 7:57 AM CST
After Murders, Murdaugh Kept Mentioning Boat Crash
First witness, a sheriff's deputy, says he saw no 'visible tears' from the accused
- The first officer to respond to Alex Murdaugh's report that he'd found his wife and son shot to death on the family's property says he cried no tears. Instead, the South Carolina attorney immediately provided a motive for why the killer acted against his loved ones on...
'It's Going to Get Gruesome'
During Alex Murdaugh Trial
Jan 26, 2023 1:01 AM CST
'It's Going to Get Gruesome' During Alex Murdaugh Trial
Opening statements were made Wednesday
- The jury has been seated for Alex Murdaugh's trial on charges that he murdered his wife and son, and in opening statements Wednesday, prosecutors warned that things would be getting intense. They painted a picture of Murdaugh's wife, Margaret, and son, Paul, having no idea what was about...
Food Trucks Ready as
Murdaugh Trial Begins
Jan 23, 2023 1:59 AM CST
Hotels Packed, Food Trucks Ready as Murdaugh Trial Begins
Jury selection begins Monday in South Carolina
- It's being called the "trial of the century" by some outlets, or at the very least, South Carolina's trial of the century: Alex Murdaugh's trial on charges of murdering his wife and son begins Monday with jury selection. A sampling of coverage in advance of the...
'Who Steals From a Deaf Kid?'
Allegedly, Alex Murdaugh
Jan 6, 2022 10:30 AM CST
'Who Steals From a Deaf Kid?' Allegedly, Alex Murdaugh
Fox News unravels his alleged embezzlement crimes
- We're learning more details about the alleged financial fraud of Alex Murdaugh, including claims that the South Carolina lawyer stole from a deaf quadriplegic he represented following a car accident, and a former highway patrolman he represented following an injury in the line of duty. Murdaugh, already accused of...
Murdaugh's Wife Left a Will
Behind, but With One 'Oddity'
in case you missed it
Jan 2, 2022 8:00 AM CST
Murdaugh's Wife Left a Will Behind, but With One 'Oddity'
Someone had crossed off name of Maggie Murdaugh's sister as estate handler on 2005 doc
- The strange saga swirling around South Carolina's Murdaugh family continues, now involving the supposed final wishes of the late Maggie Murdaugh. NBC News reports the 52-year-old, found shot to death in June in her rural Islandton home along with 22-year-old son Paul Murdaugh, left behind a last will and...
Judge: Murdaugh Must
Pay $7M Bond in Full
Dec 13, 2021 4:47 PM CST
Judge: Murdaugh Must Pay $7M Bond in Full
SC lawyer makes first public remarks in months
- A judge set bond for Alex Murdaugh at $7 million Monday—well above the $6.2 million the South Carolina attorney is accused of stealing from clients. The bond is one of the highest in state history and Judge Alison Renee Lee, unusually, said it would have to be paid...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
Webb Telescope Makes 'Baffling' Discovery
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.