Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Suit: Laundries' Lawyer
Knew Petito Was Dead
Dec 7, 2022 9:45 AM CST
Suit: Laundries' Lawyer Knew Petito Was Dead
Gabby Petito's parents claim he made 'coldhearted' statement on a possible reunion anyway
- Gabby Petito's parents filed a motion Tuesday to add Steven Bertolino, an attorney for the parents of Brian Laundrie, to their ongoing negligence lawsuit against the couple, alleging he, too, knew Laundrie had killed Petito before her body was found. Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt initially sued Christopher and...
Petito Family Settles
Lawsuit for $3M
Nov 17, 2022 5:40 PM CST
Petito Family Settles Lawsuit for $3M
Negligence case against killer's family is still scheduled for next year
- A judge in Florida on Thursday awarded the family of Gabby Petito $3 million in a wrongful death suit filed against the estate of her killer. The settlement heads off a trial scheduled for next month in the case filed by the slain woman's parents, Joseph Petito and Nichole...
Over Brian Laundrie Clue
Nov 15, 2022 1:08 PM CST
Pilloried Over Brian Laundrie Clue
It referenced his final days in the Myakkahatchee Creek area
tested contestants on Sunday with a category related to the letter "A"—and of the thousands of clues it could have offered related to alligators, it opted to go with one involving dead fugitive Brian Laundrie. WFLA reports actors John Michael Higgins, Wil Wheaton, and Joel...
Gabby Petito Seen
Hours Before Murder
in New Video
Oct 19, 2022 4:38 AM CDT
Gabby Petito Seen Hours Before Murder in New Video
She's seen shopping with Brian Laundrie at a Wyoming Whole Foods
- In newly released surveillance footage that media outlets are describing as being recorded hours before her murder, Gabby Petito is seen with Brian Laundrie in a Whole Foods grocery store in Jackson Hole, Wyo. The Aug. 27, 2021, footage is from shortly after the couple fought at a Jackson Hole...
Gabby Petito's Parents
File Suit Against Police in Utah
Aug 8, 2022 2:33 PM CDT
Gabby Petito's Parents File Suit Against Police in Utah
They should have realized she 'needed immediate protection,' lawyer says
- Gabby Petito could have been saved if police officers in Moab, Utah, had responded differently to a 911 call around two weeks before she was murdered, her parents say in a wrongful death lawsuit. Petito's parents filed a legal claim Monday against the Moab Police Department and several of...
Jul 4, 2022 5:47 AM CDT
Before Trip, Petito Worried About Laundrie's 'Episodes'
Kathleen Hale at 'Vanity Fair' takes a deep dive into the Petito-Laundrie relationship
- A year ago this week, Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie set out on their cross-country road trip from New York state, a journey that Petito hoped might launch a career as a travel blogger. The world knows how it ended: Laundrie strangled her the next month at their camp in...
Jun 25, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Experts Are Raising Eyebrows at Laundrie Confession
In newly revealed note, Laundrie paints picture of a mercy killing: 'I ended her life'
- If any doubt had remained that Brian Laundrie killed fiancee Gabby Petito , a new reveal should put those doubts to rest. Steve Bertolino, an attorney for the Laundrie family, shared a note penned by Laundrie with Fox News , taken from a notebook that was retrieved by the FBI in Florida'...
May 6, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
The Gabby Petito Story
Network says film will examine her 'complicated relationship' with her fiancé
- A made-for-TV movie will be added to the media coverage of the disappearance and killing of Gabby Petito. Lifetime has announced it's ordered production of
The Gabby Petito Story,
The 22-year-old Florida woman vanished during a cross-country trip with her fiancé last year. Her body was...
Apr 30, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Petito Family Lobs New Accusation Against the Laundries
Amended lawsuit says Brian Laundrie's parents knew Gabby was dead when they went on vacation
- There's a new accusation included in the amended lawsuit brought by Gabby Petito's family against the parents of her alleged killer, fiance Brian Laundrie. Per the Hill , the complaint by Joe Petito and Nichole Schmidt now claims that Chris and Roberta Laundrie knew of Gabby's death, and...
We Did Nothing
Wrong in Not
Mar 31, 2022 12:31 AM CDT
Laundrie Parents: We Did Nothing Wrong in Not Speaking
They file motion to dismiss lawsuit brought by Gabby Petito's parents
Gabby Petito's death is "unfortunate," but Brian Laundrie's parents did nothing wrong and were simply exercising their constitutional rights when they refused to speak to her parents or police about the case: That's the gist of a Wednesday court filing from Laundrie's parents,...
Brian Laundrie's Full
Autopsy Report Is Out
Feb 15, 2022 12:32 AM CST
Brian Laundrie's Full Autopsy Report Is Out
It includes details of condition of remains, what else was found
- Brian Laundrie's complete, 47-page autopsy report has been released, and while it doesn't drop any bombshells regarding the death of the 23-year-old suspect in the murder of his fiancee, Gabby Petito, it does add detail. Dozens of human bones were found at the scene where Laundrie died of...
FBI: Laundrie Took
in His Notebook
Jan 21, 2022 5:42 PM CST
FBI: Laundrie Took Responsibility in His Notebook
Investigation into Gabby Petito's killing will close soon, agents say
- A notebook kept by Brian Laundrie made his guilt clear in the slaying of Gabby Petito, the FBI announced Friday. The Denver field office said the investigation into the death of the 22-year-old Florida woman will be closed shortly, per CNN . "All logical investigative steps have been concluded in...
Jan 13, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Report: Petito Likely 'Long- Term' Domestic Violence Victim
'Mistakes' were made in Aug. 12 police stop, independent report adds
- An investigation has found that Utah police made "several unintentional mistakes" when they stopped Gabby Petito and her boyfriend before she was killed, per the AP . The independent report released Wednesday examines a police stop in Moab on Aug. 12 after the couple's van was seen speeding and...
Gabby Petito's Parents
Dec 25, 2021 3:00 PM CST
Gabby Petito's Parents Launch Foundation
Nonprofit makes its first donation to organizations that work against domestic violence
- "I don't want to see this happen to another person," said Nichole Schmidt, Gabby Petito's mother, in announcing a new foundation in her daughter's name. The organization will support other groups that try to find missing persons and prevent domestic violence, ABC reports. Petito was...
Cause of Death: Suicide
Nov 23, 2021 1:00 PM CST
Brian Laundrie's Cause of Death: Suicide
Attorney for family says he shot himself
- The attorney for the family of Brian Laundrie said Tuesday that the 23-year-old died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, reports TMZ . Laundrie's remains were discovered in Florida’s Carlton Reserve on Oct. 20, but an initial autopsy was inconclusive, per Today.com . At the time, police had been searching...
Sheriff Says Laundrie
Probably Died by Suicide
Nov 2, 2021 4:48 PM CDT
Sheriff Says Laundrie Probably Died by Suicide
Police chief defends handling of case
- North Port, Florida Police Chief Todd Garrison believes Brian Laundrie was probably dead before his officers started looking for him. Garrison, speaking on a panel with other law enforcement leaders Friday, acknowledged that his officers made a major error while watching the Laundrie home but defended the overall handling of...
Florida Police Say They Made
a Mistake Watching Laundrie
Oct 26, 2021 2:07 PM CDT
Florida Police Say They Made a Mistake Watching Laundrie
North Port officers thought they knew where he was
- When Gabby Petito’s parents reported her missing on Sept. 11, police in North Port, Florida, started watching Brian Laundrie. They had his parents' house under surveillance, and North Port Police Chief Todd Garrison put it like this on Sept. 16, per NBC News : "All I’m going to...
There Will Be No Funeral
for Brian Laundrie
Oct 25, 2021 2:40 AM CDT
There Will Be No Funeral for Brian Laundrie
Autopsy comes back inconclusive
- The results of Brian Laundrie's autopsy are in—and they're inconclusive. With no manner or cause of death determined, a lawyer for Laundrie's family says a forensic anthropologist will further examine the remains. Eventually, they will be cremated,
reports. There will be no funeral, the attorney...
He Left Home
Oct 22, 2021 12:52 PM CDT
Laundrie Lawyer: He Left Home 'Extremely Upset'
According to Brian Laundrie's parents, says attorney Steven Bertolino
- On Thursday, the FBI confirmed that remains found in a Florida preserve were those of Brian Laundrie, the person of interest in the death of his fiancee, Gabby Petito . After the announcement of that development, Steven Bertolino, the Laundrie family's attorney, began revealing more info about what went down...
FBI Confirms Death
of Brian Laundrie
Oct 21, 2021 5:10 PM CDT
FBI Confirms Death of Brian Laundrie
Remains were found in Florida nature reserve
The human remains discovered in a Florida wilderness park have been confirmed to be those of Brian Laundrie, who has been sought in the slaying of Gabby Petito for more than a month, FBI officials said Thursday. Dental records were used to make a positive identification, CNN reports. The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.