Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
China Walks Back Advice
Against Touching Foreigners
Sep 19, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
China Walks Back Advice Against Touching Foreigners
Country's CDC issued controversial recommendation after monkeypox case detected
- China recorded its first case of monkeypox Saturday—and a top health official faced a backlash after saying people shouldn't touch foreigners. Wu Zunyou, chief epidemiologist at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said the case detected in Chongqing had "slipped through the net," CNN...
Monkeypox Gets Deadly
Sep 13, 2022 6:42 AM CDT
Monkeypox Gets Deadly
California resident is thought to be first American to die of monkeypox
- A Los Angeles County resident with a compromised immune system has died from monkeypox, local health officials announced Monday. It's believed to be the first US fatality from the disease, the AP reports. The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health announced the cause of death, and a spokesperson...
US Has First Monkeypox Fatality
Aug 31, 2022 6:03 AM CDT
US Has First Monkeypox Fatality
Texas patient was severely immunocompromised, officials say
- The US has suffered its first monkeypox death, though it's not clear whether monkeypox caused the death. A severely immunocompromised adult who was infected with monkeypox has died in Texas, health officials say. The form of the virus circulating in the US is rarely fatal, and an investigation is...
Couple Likely Gave
Monkeypox to Their Dog
Aug 16, 2022 12:16 PM CDT
Couple Likely Gave Monkeypox to Their Dog
WHO's Rosamund Lewis says it's first apparent case of human-to-animal transmission
- What appears to be the first known human-to-pet transmission of monkeypox has surfaced in France. A nonexclusive, cohabiting couple developed symptoms of the virus, which has been appearing mostly in men who have sex with other men, a few days after sleeping with other partners, reports CBS News . Twelve days...
Monkeypox Officially Becomes
a US Public Health Emergency
Aug 4, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
Monkeypox Officially Becomes a US Public Health Emergency
'It's about time,' one expert says
- Facing the largest monkeypox outbreak in the world, the US on Thursday declared a public health emergency. The decision will make more resources available to combat the spread of the infectious disease, said Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra, CNBC reports. The World Health Organization declared a global health...
New York City: Monkeypox
Is a Public Health Emergency
Jul 31, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
New York City: Monkeypox Is a Public Health Emergency
City has most cases in the US
- Officials in New York City declared a public health emergency due to the spread of the monkeypox virus Saturday, calling the city “the epicenter” of the outbreak. The announcement Saturday by Mayor Eric Adams and health Commissioner Ashwin Vasan said as many as 150,000 city residents could be...
in 2 Days
Jul 30, 2022 3:48 PM CDT
Spain Reports 2 Monkeypox Fatalities in 2 Days
Brazil has reported its first fatality, while WHO official warns of more ahead
- Spain on Saturday reported a second death in as many days from monkeypox. These are believed to be the first confirmed fatalities from the disease in Europe since its recent spread beyond Africa. Both fatalities were young men, the health ministry said, after reporting Spain's first death on Friday,...
'Sounds the Alarm'
Jul 29, 2022 6:21 AM CDT
San Francisco 'Sounds the Alarm' on Monkeypox
California city, NY state declare public health emergencies
- Two of the US areas that have been hardest hit by monkeypox have declared public health emergencies in response to the outbreak . San Francisco on Thursday declared a local emergency effective Aug. 1, while the state of New York declared an imminent threat to public health, retroactive to June 1....
UN: We Have a
Jul 23, 2022 10:31 AM CDT
UN: We Have a Monkeypox 'Outbreak'
'We have an outbreak that has spread around the world rapidly through new modes of transmission'
- The chief of the World Health Organization said the expanding monkeypox outbreak in more than 70 countries is an “extraordinary” situation that now qualifies as a global emergency, a declaration Saturday that could spur further investment in treating the once-rare disease and worsen the scramble for scarce vaccines. WHO...
Jul 22, 2022 1:52 AM CDT
Man Gets Monkeypox ...
Meanwhile, experts wonder whether monkeypox will become a new entrenched STD in US
- A Bay Area man had the unfortunate luck of being struck with not just one, but both of the illnesses currently making headlines. Mitcho Thompson tested positive for COVID-19 at the end of last month and was experiencing a lot of fatigue from that ... and then he developed red lesions...
Is Only Getting Worse
Jul 18, 2022 10:59 AM CDT
Monkeypox News Is Only Getting Worse
Former FDA chief criticizes response, as 'NYT' reports on painful cases among patients
- Comments from two well-known officials suggest that the monkeypox outbreak in the US is way undercounted and about to get worse.
"I think the window for getting control of this and containing it probably has closed, and if it hasn't closed, it's certainly starting to close,
Outbreak Grows, US
Announces New Steps
Jun 29, 2022 1:44 AM CDT
As Monkeypox Outbreak Grows, US Announces New Steps
More vaccines, and increased recommendations for who should get them
- The US outbreak of monkeypox has reached 306 cases in 27 states and the District of Columbia; worldwide, more than 4,700 cases have been recorded in more than 40 countries outside the parts of Africa where the virus is endemic. Now, US officials are ramping up their response. The...
Getting a New Name
in case you missed it
Jun 18, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Monkeypox Is Getting a New Name
WHO plans to hold emergency meeting on 'unusual and concerning' outbreak
- The World Health Organization is planning to hold an emergency meeting next week on what Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus calls the "unusual and concerning" worldwide outbreak of monkeypox . The organization plans to look into whether the outbreak should be declared a "public health emergency of international concern,"...
WHO Sees 'a Window'
for Stopping Monkeypox
May 30, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
WHO Sees 'a Window' for Stopping Monkeypox
Confirmed cases worldwide have reached 257
- With the World Health Organization's count of confirmed cases worldwide hitting 257, "the world has an opportunity to stop this outbreak," an official said Monday. "There is a window," said Rosamund Lewis, the organization's technical lead on monkeypox. Another 120 cases are suspected in...
200 Monkeypox Cases
Seen in 20 Nations
May 27, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
200 Monkeypox Cases Seen in 20 Nations
UN agency says virus is 'containable'
- The World Health Organization says nearly 200 cases of monkeypox have been reported in more than 20 countries not usually known to have outbreaks, but it described the epidemic as "containable" and proposed creating a stockpile to share the limited vaccines and drugs available worldwide. The UN health agency...
Canadian Province to Begin
Vaccinations for Monkeypox
May 26, 2022 4:47 PM CDT
Canadian Province to Begin Vaccinations for Monkeypox
Smallpox doses to be given to high-risk people
- People in the Montreal area at high risk of contracting monkeypox will be given the smallpox vaccine, Quebec health officials announced Thursday. The province has 25 confirmed cases of monkeypox, all connected to the Montreal region, CBC reports. Another 20 to 30 potential cases are being investigated. "We aren'...
Monkeypox Found in
Three More Countries
May 25, 2022 2:31 PM CDT
Monkeypox Found in Three More Countries
Health officials say the risk of widespread outbreak remains low
- Monkeypox has found its way to the Arabian Peninsula. The BBC reports that the United Arab Emirates is the first Gulf state to record a case, which was detected in a traveler who recently visited West Africa, the virus's usual domain. So far this year, the World Health Organization...
2 Raves in Europe May Have
May 23, 2022 6:41 AM CDT
2 Raves in Europe May Have Spread Monkeypox
Florida has a suspected case, likely making it the third US state with the virus
- It's a not-so-surprising update on this year's monkeypox outbreak : Another state—Florida—has a suspected case, likely making it the third state to see the virus. Health officials say the case in Broward County (home of Fort Lauderdale) is related to international travel, but they aren't providing...
Sexual Link Investigated
in Monkeypox Outbreak
May 22, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Biden addresses growing number of cases globally, says 'everybody should be concerned'
- The rising number of monkeypox cases around the world has caught the attention of President Biden, who addressed it for the first time on Sunday. “They haven’t told me the level of exposure yet, but it is something that everybody should be concerned about,” Biden told reporters...
Monkeypox May Have Made
Its Way to 2nd US State
May 20, 2022 7:54 AM CDT
Monkeypox May Have Made Its Way to 2nd US State
Massachusetts had already reported a case of rare disease; now, a suspected case in New York City
- The UK , Portugal, and Spain have all recently reported a small number of confirmed or suspected cases of monkeypox, and on Wednesday, Massachusetts phoned in its own report , as officials tried to see if it was linked with the ones overseas. Now, a possible second case in another US city:...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
Police Link 2 More Shootings to Possible California Serial Killer
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.