Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Ketanji Brown Jackson
Stories 1 - 20 |
National Cathedral Replaces
Images of Robert E. Lee
Sep 23, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
National Cathedral Replaces Images of Robert E. Lee
Dedication ceremony christens racial justice theme in stained-glass windows
- The landmark Washington National Cathedral unveiled new stained-glass windows Saturday with a theme of racial justice, filling the space that had once held four windows honoring Confederate Gens. Robert E. Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. The new windows depict a march for justice by African Americans, descendants of the...
Court's 2 Black
in Race Case
Jun 29, 2023 1:57 PM CDT
Court's 2 Black Justices Blast Each Other in Race Case
Kentanji Brown Jackson, Clarence Thomas spar over affirmative action ruling in their separate writings
- When the Supreme Court delivered a devastating blow to affirmative action on Thursday, the court's newest justice—and its first Black female—unleashed a blistering dissent. Ketanji Brown Jackson also sparred with the court's other Black justice, Clarence Thomas, in their separate opinions on the case, even calling...
Surprise SCOTUS Ruling Hands
Victory to State's Black Voters
Jun 8, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Surprise SCOTUS Ruling Hands Victory to State's Black Voters
Decision orders creation of second Black-majority district in Alabama
- The Supreme Court on Thursday issued a surprising 5-4 ruling in favor of Black voters in a congressional redistricting case, ordering the creation of a second district with a large Black population, per the AP . Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh joined with the court's liberals in...
Justice Has a First
Mar 1, 2023 1:00 AM CST
Newest SCOTUS Justice Has a First
Jackson writes her first majority opinion in unanimous decision on Delaware and MoneyGram
- The newest Supreme Court justice has written her first majority opinion. Ketanji Brown Jackson authored the ruling in a case involving a dispute between Delaware and other states regarding MoneyGram, the second-biggest money transfer company in the world. The company is incorporated in Delaware, and the state kept hundreds of...
Nov 7, 2022 4:30 PM CST
Jackson Dissents in First Opinion
Sotomayor joins newest justice on death row case
- A month into her lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court, Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson issued her first opinion on Monday, objecting to her colleagues' decision to not take up an appeal from a death row inmate in Ohio. The fact that the case was declined means that fewer than four...
Jackson Has Day 1 Questions
Oct 3, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Jackson Has Day 1 Questions
Newest justice follows line of thought similar to Kagan and Sotomayor in wetlands case
- Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson was not just seated on the Supreme Court on Monday, she was a full participant in the business at hand. Jackson asked several questions during almost two hours of arguments on Monday, at the beginning of her first day on the job as an associate justice,...
Jackson Officially Takes
Her Seat on SCOTUS Bench
Sep 30, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Jackson Officially Takes Her Seat on SCOTUS Bench
Chief Justice John Roberts wished 52-year-old a 'long and happy career in our common calling'
- Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson made her first appearance on the Supreme Court bench in a brief courtroom ceremony Friday, three days before the start of the high court's new term. President Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, and their spouses attended the invitation-only ceremonial investiture for Jackson, the first Black...
No. 116 Makes History
Jun 30, 2022 12:13 PM CDT
No. 116 Makes History
Ketanji Brown Jackson is sworn in, the first Black woman on the Supreme Court
- Ketanji Brown Jackson was sworn in to the Supreme Court on Thursday, shattering a glass ceiling as the first Black woman on the nation’s highest court. The 51-year-old Jackson is the court’s 116th justice, and she took the place of the justice she once worked for, per the...
My Retirement Begins
at Noon Thursday
Jun 29, 2022 2:35 PM CDT
Justice Breyer: My Retirement Begins at Noon Thursday
Final SCOTUS decision of term will be handed down that morning
- While Justice Stephen Breyer may disagree with more Supreme Court decisions to come, he'll be doing so as a private citizen. In a letter the court released Wednesday, Breyer told President Biden that the court's final decision of the term will be handed down Thursday morning, and his...
'We've Made It'
Apr 8, 2022 2:46 PM CDT
Judge Jackson: 'We've Made It'
Biden marks breakthrough at White House event, praising next justice's poise in Senate hearings
- After a Senate process that President Biden described as beyond painful, a White House celebration Friday marked the confirmation of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court, focusing on the historic breakthrough her appointment represents. "It has taken 232 years and 115 prior appointments for a Black woman...
Anita Hill: Can We Finally
Fix These Hearings?
Apr 8, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Anita Hill: Can We Finally Fix These Hearings?
She expresses 'joy' at Ketanji Brown Jackson's confirmation, but says judge was mistreated
- Anita Hill's reaction after the Senate confirmed Ketanji Brown Jackson as the first Black woman on the Supreme Court? "Pure joy," she told Anderson Cooper on CNN . "And not just joy for her, but also joy for the court and the American justice system." But...
Ketanji Brown Jackson
Just Made History
Apr 7, 2022 1:18 PM CDT
Ketanji Brown Jackson Just Made History
Senate confirms first Black woman to the Supreme Court
- For the first time, a Black woman will hear cases on the Supreme Court. The Senate on Thursday confirmed Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to the court, where she will replace the retiring Stephen Breyer. The vote was 53-47, reports the
Washington Post .
Republicans Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of...
Marjorie Taylor Greene Reports
Jimmy Kimmel to Police
Apr 7, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
Marjorie Taylor Greene Reports Jimmy Kimmel to Police
Late-night host says Will Smith reference was a joke, not a threat
- Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene did not take kindly to Jimmy Kimmel's suggestion that Will Smith could deal with the "Klan mom." In a Wednesday tweet , the congresswoman said she had referred the late-night host to Capitol Police for "this threat of violence against me." Kimmel...
History to Be Made
in Today's Senate Vote
Apr 7, 2022 6:59 AM CDT
History to Be Made in Today's Senate Vote
Ketanji Brown Jackson expected to be confirmed as first Black woman on US Supreme Court
- Ketanji Brown Jackson is on the cusp of ascending to the Supreme Court, in what will be the first Senate confirmation of a Black woman to the nation's highest bench. An initial vote to avoid dozens of hours of debate on the 51-year-old judge's nomination will take...
2 More Republicans Back
Jackson, Giving Her 51 Votes
Apr 4, 2022 7:00 PM CDT
2 More Republicans Back Jackson, Giving Her 51 Votes
Murkowski, Romney say they'll support confirmation
- Sens. Lisa Murkowski and Mitt Romney announced Monday that they'll cast yes votes on Ketanji Brown Jackson's nomination for Supreme Court justice, giving her enough for confirmation. Another Republican, Sen. Susan Collins, already had committed to voting to confirm. Those three votes give Jackson at least 51, the...
Ketanji Brown Jackson Has
Secured One GOP Vote
Mar 30, 2022 7:39 AM CDT
Ketanji Brown Jackson Has Secured One GOP Vote
She has the backing of Susan Collins of Maine
- Ketanji Brown Jackson will have the backing of at least one Republican senator. Susan Collins of Maine confirmed that she has "decided to support the confirmation of Judge Jackson to be a member of the Supreme Court." The
New York Times
reports that the GOP senator made up...
Manchin: Way GOP Handled
Jackson Was 'Disgraceful'
Mar 29, 2022 2:56 PM CDT
Manchin: Way GOP Handled Jackson Was 'Disgraceful'
'I think she’s extremely well qualified and I think she’ll be an exemplary judge'
- Sen. Joe Manchin doesn't always agree with his Democratic colleagues, but they're on the same page when it comes to Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson—and the way she was treated by several Republican senators during confirmation hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee last week. Manchin on...
Just Got a Huge Lift
Mar 25, 2022 10:21 AM CDT
Jackson's Nomination Just Got a Huge Lift
Sen. Joe Manchin, a potential swing vote, confirms his support
- Ketanji Brown Jackson is all but guaranteed to become the first Black woman on the Supreme Court, CNN reports, after Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin threw his support behind her Friday. Axios also says Manchin's move "essentially guarantees" she's in. "After meeting with her, considering her record,...
Ted Cruz Inadvertently Boosts
Sales of Books He Opposes
Mar 25, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
Ted Cruz Inadvertently Boosts Sales of Books He Opposes
'End of Policing' rises to No. 1 in its Amazon category
- When Ted Cruz grilled Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson during her Senate confirmation hearing this week, he held up a few books as props. He displayed them as examples of what he views as far-left extremism, but the gesture appears to have had the unintended effect of boosting sales,...
Mitch McConnell's Decision
on Ketanji Brown Jackson: No
Mar 25, 2022 12:15 AM CDT
Mitch McConnell's Decision on Ketanji Brown Jackson: No
The Republican says he will vote against her Supreme Court nomination
- The Senate is on track to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson as the first Black woman on the Supreme Court in April, with the
Wall Street Journal
reporting GOP senators signaled on Thursday that they don't intend to make any moves that would seriously delay or block her confirmation. But...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.