Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Candidate Who Lost by 3 Votes
Calls Daughter's Ballot Bogus
Dec 19, 2022 4:48 PM CST
Candidate Who Lost by 3 Votes Calls Daughter's Ballot Bogus
New Jersey official says she didn't meet residency requirement and voted for his opponent
- A Republican township official in New Jersey who lost reelection by three votes wants the mail-in ballot cast by his daughter, who voted Democratic in the Nov. 8 election, thrown out. The Republican Party of Morris County maintains that several young Democrats cast ballots by mail though they didn't...
Dec 12, 2022 12:31 AM CST
History-Making Los Angeles Mayor Sworn In
VP Kamala Harris swears in Karen Bass
- Los Angeles' first female mayor, and just the second Black mayor for the California city, was sworn in by Vice President Kamala Harris in a Sunday ceremony. Her first act? Karen Bass declared a state of emergency on homelessness in the city, the
New York Times
reports. Bass, who was...
Kari Lake Sues
to Overturn Election Loss
Dec 10, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Kari Lake Sues to Overturn Election Loss
Trump ally makes good on promise to challenge Katie Hobbs' win as Arizona's next governor
- Kari Lake promised last month that her fight for the Arizona governorship wasn't over, and on Friday she made good on that promise. The Trump ally filed a civil complaint Friday in Maricopa County that, per ABC News , seeks "unprecedented and likely unlawful relief of fully overturning the...
Raphael Warnock Wins
Georgia Runoff Election
Dec 6, 2022 10:31 PM CST
Raphael Warnock Wins Georgia Runoff Election
Democratic senator beats Herschel Walker
- Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock defeated Republican challenger Herschel Walker in a Georgia runoff election Tuesday, ensuring Democrats an outright majority in the Senate for the rest of President Biden’s term and helping cap an underwhelming midterm cycle for the GOP in the last major vote of the year, the...
With 70% of Votes Counted,
Georgia Race Too Close to Call
Dec 6, 2022 8:22 PM CST
With 70% of Votes Counted, Georgia Race Too Close to Call
Warnock took lead over Walker in early results
This story has been updated with new developments.
Polls closed at 7pm EST in Georgia's closely watched US Senate runoff election Tuesday. With around 70% of the vote counted, Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock had a very slight lead over Republican opponent Herschel Walker in unofficial results but the race...
Here's How Things
Look Ahead of
Dec 6, 2022 5:01 AM CST
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
Democrats are cautiously optimistic
- 'Twas the night before Georgia's runoff election, and all through the state, things were looking fairly decent for Raphael Warnock. The Democratic senator, who is on the ballot for the fifth time in about two years—this time, competing against Herschel Walker for a full six-year term in...
Arizona Certifies 2022 Election
Dec 5, 2022 2:47 PM CST
Arizona Certifies 2022 Election
Lawsuits, recounts expected
- Arizona's top officials certified the midterm election results Monday, formalizing victories for Democrats over Republicans who falsely claimed the 2020 election was rigged. The certification opens a five-day window for formal election challenges. Republican Kari Lake, who lost the race for governor, is expected to file a lawsuit after...
Arizona County's Pushback
on Certifying Election Ends
Dec 2, 2022 11:46 AM CST
Arizona County's Pushback on Certifying Election Ends
GOP-controlled Cochise County ordered by judge to do so
- Cochise County has certified its 2022 elections. The move came after Judge Casey McGinley ruled Thursday that the rural Arizona county's Board of Supervisors had an hour and a half to call a meeting and approve the results by the end of the day, despite pushback from two GOP...
Trump Steering Clear
of Georgia Runoff
Nov 29, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Trump Steering Clear of Georgia Runoff
Former president doesn't plan a rally for Herschel Walker, which could backfire
- As the Senate runoff in Georgia heads into crunch time, one big name won't be playing a public role. Politico and the
New York Times
report that Donald Trump has no plans to stage one of his signature rallies for Herschel Walker. Trump is still a strong supporter of...
Judge Makes Big Ruling
on Early Voting in Georgia
Nov 19, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Judge Makes Big Ruling on Early Voting in Georgia
Voters can now head to polls on Saturday, Nov. 26, for Senate runoff race between Warnock, Walker
- The Georgia Senate race between Democrat Raphael Warnock and Republican Herschel Walker is headed for a Dec. 6 runoff , and thanks to a Fulton County judge's decision this week, locals can add one more day to the calendar in which they'll be able to cast their in-person ballot....
Boebert's Rival Concedes
in Tight Colorado Race
Nov 18, 2022 12:56 PM CST
Boebert's Rival Concedes in Tight Colorado Race
It still appears headed to automatic recount, but both he and the congresswoman say it's over
- The Democratic challenger who ended up in a surprisingly tight race with Rep. Lauren Boebert in Colorado has conceded, reports the Hill . Adam Frisch said Friday that while the race appears headed for an automatic recount, "the likelihood of this recount changing more than a handful of votes is...
Boebert's House Race
Is Nation's Closest
Nov 17, 2022 7:30 PM CST
Boebert's House Race Is Nation's Closest
Final votes will be counted Friday, county clerks say
- Election officials in the Colorado counties still counting votes in the Rep. Lauren Boebert-Adam Frisch congressional race say they'll finish Friday. Boebert was 551 votes ahead at 5pm Thursday, the Colorado Sun reports, putting the election on track for a mandatory recount. Recounts are triggered when the margin between...
GOP Clinches House, Splitting
Congress for Next 2 Years
Nov 16, 2022 6:30 PM CST
GOP Clinches House, Splitting Congress for Next 2 Years
Republican says party delivered on its promise to oust Pelosi as speaker
- More than a week after Election Day, Republicans clinched control of the House of Representatives on Wednesday, setting up split control of Congress for the next two years. California Rep. Mike Garcia was projected to hold onto his seat, per the AP , giving the GOP a House majority. Garcia makes...
DeSantis Speaks Out on
Leaves Trump's Name Out
Nov 16, 2022 12:22 AM CST
DeSantis Speaks Out on 'Underwhelming' Midterms, Leaves Trump's Name Out
Florida governor was no doubt referring to him, however
- He didn't actually mention Donald Trump by name, but Ron DeSantis offered what the
New York Times
calls a "not-so-subtle dig" at the former POTUS shortly before Trump's announcement that he will run for president again in 2024. Referring to the midterm elections, the Florida governor told...
Nevada Count Nears Deadline
Nov 12, 2022 5:40 PM CST
Nevada Count Nears Deadline
Cortez Masto trails Laxalt by a few hundred votes as counting deadline nears
- Nevada's ballot count has entered its final act in the nail-biter contest between Democratic Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto and Republican challenger Adam Laxalt. Saturday is the last day that mail ballots can arrive and be counted under the state's new voting law. Election officials were hustling to get...
Battle for House
Plays Out in
Nov 12, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Battle for House Plays Out in 'Nation's Salad Bowl'
Key races in Calif.'s Central Valley, Orange County remain tight, including for Dem Rep. Katie Porter
- The outcomes in a string of closely matched California US House races that could play into control of the chamber were still unsettled Friday, as millions of ballots remained uncounted in the nation's most populous state. More than a dozen races in the state continued to be in play,...
Kelly Win in Arizona Brings
Dems Closer to Senate Control
Nov 12, 2022 12:33 AM CST
Kelly Win in Arizona Brings Dems Closer to Senate Control
Party now needs to win in either Nevada or Georgia to retain control of chamber
- Democratic Sen. Mark Kelly won his bid for reelection Friday in the crucial swing state of Arizona, defeating Republican venture capitalist Blake Masters to put his party one victory away from clinching control of the chamber for the next two years of Joe Biden’s presidency. With Vice President Kamala...
In Battle for House, Democrats
Keep Chipping Away
Nov 11, 2022 4:45 PM CST
In Battle for House, Democrats Keep Chipping Away
More seats in the West slip away from Republicans, though GOP is still favored
- Republicans were in good shape Friday afternoon in their attempt to take control of the House once all votes are counted, but it's not a lock. Democrats are winning more races and gaining ground in others, a couple of analyses of the election show. Politico and the
Nov 11, 2022 12:30 AM CST
Trump Releases Anti-DeSantis Statement
Calls him an 'average' governor
- As Ron DeSantis was riding high on his massive re-election win and the fawning press that has followed , Donald Trump pooh-poohed all of that in an anti-DeSantis statement he released Thursday. "NewsCorp, which is Fox, the Wall Street Journal, and the no longer great New York Post (bring back...
Now Leads by 1K Votes
Nov 11, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Lauren Boebert Now Leads by 1K Votes
House race in Colorado still too close to call
- After briefly trailing Democratic challenger Adam Frisch by 64 votes , Colorado Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert is back in the lead in her race for re-election to the House. As of midnight Friday, with 99% of the vote counted, she was ahead by 1,122 votes. Boebert, a Trump ally, represents...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.