Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
College Student Was About
to Exit the Bus. Then, an Attack
Jan 14, 2023 11:30 AM CST
College Student Was About to Exit the Bus. Then, an Attack
Indiana U: 56-year-old Bille Davis of Bloomington attacked student due to anti-Asian hate
- A 56-year-old woman has been charged after an 18-year-old Indiana University student repeatedly was stabbed in the head on a public bus in an attack the school says was because the victim is Asian. The victim told investigators she was standing and waiting for the exit doors to open on...
Accused of Punching
Women, He Now
Apr 5, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Accused of Punching Women, He Now Faces Hate Crime Charges
Steven Zajonc, 28, was arrested last month in NYC for apparently unprovoked attacks
- A man is facing hate crime charges after allegedly attacking seven Asian women in New York City over three hours. Steven Zajonc, 28, who was arrested last month, is charged with six felony counts of third-degree assault as a hate crime and seven counts of second-degree aggravated harassment, a misdemeanor...
Mar 16, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
Rallies Decry Anti-Asian Violence
Events are held on the anniversary of the Atlanta spa slayings
- People at events across the US on Wednesday honored the victims of the Atlanta spa killings a year ago and called attention to ongoing violence and the anti-Asian hatred behind it. "It is important to call this what it is, a crime that is racially motivated," said Robert...
Repeatedly Hit With
Rock in NYC Has Died
Mar 1, 2022 5:42 PM CST
Asian Woman Repeatedly Hit With Rock in NYC Has Died
GuiYing Ma spent 10 weeks in a coma
- A New York City grandmother has died three months after she was repeatedly hit in the head with a large rock. GuiYing Ma, 62, was attacked the day after Thanksgiving while she was sweeping the sidewalk outside a building in the Jackson Heights neighborhood in Queens, the
New York Daily
A Murder in NYC's Chinatown
Rattles Asian Community
Feb 14, 2022 2:30 PM CST
A Murder in NYC's Chinatown Rattles Asian Community
Police say homeless man followed Christina Yuna Lee into her building
- The fatal stabbing of a 35-year-old woman in New York City's Chinatown is raising new fears about crimes against Asian Americans. The alleged assailant is in custody, though it remains unclear whether the attack was racially motivated or one of opportunity. Coverage:
Police say Christina Yuna Lee
Chinese Immigrant Dies
of Injuries Months After Attack
Jan 8, 2022 1:00 PM CST
Chinese Immigrant Dies of Injuries Months After Attack
Yao Pan Ma, 61, was collecting cans in East Harlem
: A Chinese immigrant who was brutally attacked in April while collecting cans in East Harlem has died of his injuries, the AP reports. Yao Pan Ma, 61, died Dec. 31, police said Saturday. The attack drew national attention during the increase in hate crimes against Asian people. Police said...
Asian Woman Felled
by Punch in NYC
Jun 1, 2021 6:47 AM CDT
Asian Woman Felled by Punch in NYC
Suspect is arrested in Chinatown in latest anti-Asian attack
- The random attacks on Asian Americans continue. The latest is out of New York City's Chinatown, where video shows a man randomly punching a 55-year-old Asian woman in the face early Monday evening, reports CBS New York . The woman falls to the ground, but police say she is expected...
Anti-Asian Hate Crimes
Bill Clears Congress
May 18, 2021 6:28 PM CDT
Anti-Asian Hate Crimes Bill Clears Congress
It's now headed for Biden's desk
- Congress approved legislation Tuesday intended to curtail a striking rise in hate crimes against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, sending President Biden a bipartisan denunciation of the spate of brutal attacks that have proliferated during the pandemic. The bill, which the House passed on a 364-62 vote, will expedite the...
Only One Senator Voted No
on Anti-Asian Hate Crime Bill
Apr 23, 2021 7:46 AM CDT
Only One Senator Voted No on Anti-Asian Hate Crime Bill
Hawley says bill to combat anti-Asian attacks is 'overbroad'
- The Senate is usually split 50-50 between Democrats and Republicans, but in a rare moment of bipartisanship Thursday, it was split between Sen. Josh Hawley and everybody else. The Missouri Republican was the only senator who voted against a bill to combat the rise in hate crimes against Asian Americans....
Senate Passes Bill on
Anti-Asian Crimes, 94-1
Apr 22, 2021 3:34 PM CDT
Senate Passes Bill on Anti-Asian Crimes, 94-1
Missouri's Josh Hawley is the lone nay vote
- The Senate overwhelmingly approved legislation Thursday intended to counter violence against Asian Americans, which has increased during the pandemic. Majority Leader Charles Schumer said passage sends a message to Asian Americans that the government is listening and reassures them that "hate crimes will not be tolerated." The bill...
Cops: Woman Shouted Slurs
at Undercover Chinatown Cop
Apr 8, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Cops: Woman Shouted Slurs at Undercover Chinatown Cop
Woman also threatened nail salon workers, NYPD says
- Police in New York City say a woman shouted anti-Asian slurs at a succession of Asian-Americans Tuesday. The last one was an undercover cop. Sharon Williams, 50, was arrested and charged with harassment as a hate crime after the officer called for backup, the
reports. Police say Williams...
Doormen Who Stood by
During Racist Attack Fired
Apr 6, 2021 4:37 PM CDT
Doormen Who Stood by During Racist Attack Fired
They failed to intervene during anti-Asian attack outside Manhattan building
- Two New York City doormen who stood by while a Filipino-American woman was brutally attacked outside their building are out of a job. The Brodsky Organization, which owns the luxury Manhattan apartment building, told residents in an email Tuesday that its investigation has concluded and the men's "employment...
Workers That Stood by
Mar 30, 2021 5:32 PM CDT
Workers That Stood by During Anti-Asian Attack Suspended
NYC mayor says it's unacceptable that nobody tried to help 65-year-old woman
- Staff members at a New York City building who witnessed a brutal attack on an Asian woman and did nothing to help the victim have been suspended. The Brodsky Organization, which manages the building in midtown Manhattan, says the workers have been suspended "pending an investigation in conjunction with...
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
Hollywood Is Going After Lauren Boebert
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.