Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trump's 'Major Announcement'
Is Trump Trading Cards
Dec 15, 2022 11:27 AM CST
Trump's 'Major Announcement' Is Trump Trading Cards
Former president is selling $99 NFT collectibles
- Donald Trump teased an upcoming "major announcement" Wednesday on Truth Social, and on Thursday he unveiled it . His 2024 running mate, perhaps? Nope, Trump is selling what he calls "digital trading cards" featuring none other than himself, reports the
. "These limited edition cards feature amazing...
Any Guesses on Who
This Young Player Is?
Aug 4, 2022 2:54 PM CDT
Any Guesses on Who This Young Player Is?
Old card featuring Mark Zuckerberg will be auctioned in physical form and as an NFT
- Allie Tarantino is hoping that a signed baseball card featuring one of the richest men in the world will bring a fortune when it is put up for auction next month, per the AP . “It’s like my version of a midlife crisis. I’m 50 years old—what...
Guy Tries to Sell Dorsey NFT
for $50M, Gets High Bid of $280
Apr 14, 2022 9:05 AM CDT
Guy Tries to Sell Dorsey NFT for $50M, Gets High Bid of $280
Auction didn't go well for crypto businessman Sina Estavi, who bought Dorsey's first tweet for $2.9M
Some people flip houses; others, NFTs. But for Sina Estavi, his attempt to pull off the latter didn't bring in the return on investment he'd hoped for. Last year, the CEO of blockchain firm Bridge Oracle scooped up the non-fungible token of Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey's...
Online Game Hit by
Massive Crypto Heist
Mar 30, 2022 4:19 PM CDT
Online Game Hit by Massive Crypto Heist
'Axie Infinity' says $615M was taken after criminals compromised blockchain bridge
- A popular online game says it is "here to stay" despite one of the biggest cryptocurrency thefts on record. Vietnamese studio Sky Mavis says hackers drained cryptocurrency worth more than $600 million from the "bridge" that allows
players to exchange other cryptocurrencies for in-game currency or...
Bataclan Survivor 'Shocked' to
Find Out What Her Surgeon Did
in case you missed it
Jan 29, 2022 12:35 PM CST
Bataclan Survivor 'Shocked' to Find Out What Her Surgeon Did
France's Emmanuel Masmejean is accused of trying to sell patient's X-ray as an NFT
- All kinds of things have been turned into non-fungible tokens , or NFTs, but the craze has taken a disturbing turn that has a French doctor now facing legal action. AFP reports that Emmanuel Masmejean, a senior orthopedic surgeon at Paris' Georges Pompidou public hospital, is accused of trying to sell...
Melania Trump's Hat 'Collateral
Damage' of Crypto Crash
Jan 26, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Melania Trump's Hat 'Collateral Damage' of Crypto Crash
Former first lady didn't scoop up as many tokens as hoped in auction of hat worn to greet Macron
- The crisp white Herve Pierre hat that Melania Trump wore to greet French President Emmanuel Macron and his wife at the White House in April 2018 went up on the auction block this month—along with a watercolor and NFT showing her wearing it—in the hopes that the entire...
Walmart Is Getting Into
an Unlikely New Sector
Jan 17, 2022 9:35 AM CST
Walmart Is Getting Into an Unlikely New Sector
Retail giant files trademarks suggesting entry into the metaverse, with NFTs and cryptocurrency
- Facebook isn't the only corporate behemoth wading into the metaverse . Now, Walmart appears to be dipping its toes in, filing multiple new trademarks at the end of last year that hint at plans to offer NFTs, a cryptocurrency, and virtual goods to consumers, reports CNBC . Although it's not...
Offers $5.8K NFT
Dec 27, 2021 2:29 PM CST
Senate Candidate Offers $5.8K NFT
Blake Masters' token comes with party invite
- A Republican Senate candidate in Arizona is hoping to raise more than $570,000—and highlight his Silicon Valley connections—with an NFT. Blake Masters tells Axios that he hopes to gain support "from folks who are less conventional political donors and more founders and builders who want to...
Theranos Investor Has
Unique Plan to Get Money Back
Dec 16, 2021 11:23 AM CST
Theranos Investor Has Unique Plan to Get Money Back
Marc Ostrofsky plans to sell an NFT of his otherwise worthless stock certificate
- Like a lot of Theranos investors, Marc Ostrofsky lost a hefty sum when the blood-testing company went broke. But Ostrofsky thinks he has a way to get his $150,000 back, and maybe even more. CNBC reports that he plans to sell his Series A stock certificate as a nonfungible...
NFT Sale Goes Awry: 'Just
Like That, $250K Was Gone'
Dec 14, 2021 11:55 AM CST
NFT Sale Goes Awry: 'Just Like That, $250K Was Gone'
'Fat-finger' error led seller of Bored Ape item to mistakenly dump it for $3K
- The Verge blames it on a misplaced decimal point. CNBC similarly lays the blame on a "fat-finger" error. However the asking price for a recently sold NFT came to be, it wasn't the seller's intention, and now he's out hundreds of thousands of dollars because of...
Wikipedia Gets Its
Dec 5, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Wikipedia Gets Its Own NFT
First edit being auctioned
- Non-fungible tokens couldn't exist without the internet, and the internet would be a very different place without Wikipedia. No surprise, then, that the ubiquitous free encyclopedia is getting the NFT treatment. Per The Verge , Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales is placing his first ever edit to the site up for...
Usage of Collins'
Word of the Year
Nov 24, 2021 12:39 PM CST
Usage of Collins' Word of the Year Jumped 11,000%
Dictionary chooses 'NFT' over 'metaverse'
- We've moved on from "lockdown" to the year of the "NFT." Use of the abbreviation for "nonfungible token" jumped more than 11,000% this year, propelling it to the title of Collins Dictionary's word of the year, per the BBC . NFT—defined by Collins...
Hot Water Over
Nov 17, 2021 3:00 AM CST
Tarantino in Hot Water Over
Miramax, which still owns the rights, sues him
- Quentin Tarantino is planning to auction off non-fungible tokens, or NFTs, related to his iconic film
he announced at a crypto-art convention this month. But not if Miramax has anything to say about it: The studio, which still owns the rights to the movie, sued the filmmaker for...
CNN Invites Consumers
to 'Own a Piece of History'
Jun 18, 2021 1:02 PM CDT
CNN Invites Consumers to 'Own a Piece of History'
Media company to start selling NFTs of special 'moments'
- Everyone's getting in on the NFT craze (or is thinking about it ), and CNN is the latest participant. The media outlet announced Wednesday that, starting later this month, it will begin selling the most memorable "moments" in its 41-year history as non-fungible tokens, per the
'Doge' Meme NFT
Sells for Millions
Jun 12, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
'Doge' Meme NFT Sells for Millions
The original dog's owner will donate some of the proceeds to charity
- Taking a picture of your adorable dog and posting it so other people can admire her, too, is usually its own reward. But Atsuko Sato, a kindergarten teacher in Japan, is also getting a record-setting $4 million worth of Ethereum after selling it as an NFT, NBC News reports....
Anthony Weiner Has
Ideas About 'Cashing In'
Jun 7, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
Anthony Weiner Has Ideas About 'Cashing In'
Disgraced politician may sell some NFT mementoes from his downfall
New York Times
columnist Ben Smith catches with up Anthony Weiner to get the very-much-former politician's take on the New York City mayoral race. And while Weiner has advice for the candidates (enough with the talk of the city's grim future, for example), the more interesting part...
After 'Charlie Bit My Finger'
Sells, a Surprise Change
in case you missed it
May 30, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
After 'Charlie Bit My Finger' Sells, a Surprise Change
Buyer of viral video-NFT, who paid $760K, says the clip will remain on YouTube
- Good news to kick off the weekend: The world gets to keep watching Charlie Davies-Carr use his big brother Harry as a teething ring after all. The siblings are the stars of "Charlie Bit My Finger," one of YouTube's most viral videos ever, which was auctioned off...
Say Goodbye to One of the
Most Viral Videos of All Time
May 22, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Say Goodbye to One of the Most Viral Videos of All Time
14 years after enrapturing the world, 'Charlie Bit My Finger' will be yanked from YouTube, become NFT
- Fourteen years ago to the day, two little boys made YouTube history as the stars of what would become one of the most viewed viral videos of all time. Now, you've got just one more day to watch it on the platform, as it's about to join the...
'Disaster Girl' of Meme Fame
Sells Photo for $430K
Apr 27, 2021 8:31 PM CDT
'Disaster Girl' of Meme Fame Sells Photo for $430K
She was initially skeptical of NFT sale
- Zoe Roth is better known as " Disaster Girl "—the enigmatically smiling little girl in one of the Internet's best-known memes. But while some people complain that memes ruined their lives, things have worked out pretty well for Roth, who is now a 21-year-old senior at the...
Snowden NFT Sells for $5.5M
Apr 17, 2021 3:30 PM CDT
Snowden NFT Sells for $5.5M
Money will go to press foundation the whistleblower leads
- Edward Snowden has broken into the NFT market with a big sale.
, a digital portrait of the whistleblower, brought about $5.5 million, or 2,224 Ethereum, in a one-day auction, Mashable reports. The portrait is based on a photo by Platon, using pages from the court ruling...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.