Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely
Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Sep 26, 2023 6:13 AM CDT
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Looks like he'll be the first president ever to walk picket line when he joins UAW strike in Michigan
- President Biden's decision to stand alongside United Auto Workers picketers Tuesday on the 12th day of their strike against major carmakers underscores an allegiance to labor unions that appears to be unparalleled in presidential history, per the AP . Experts in presidential and US labor history say they can't...
As Biden Slips on Issues, Poll
Finds Voters Reassess Trump
Sep 24, 2023 4:45 PM CDT
As Biden Slips on Issues, Poll Finds Voters Reassess Trump
Incumbent's approval rating hits 37%
- There's no single issue President Biden's team has to address to bolster his support among voters, new polling shows: There are a bunch. An ABC News/Washington Post poll found 44% of respondents saying their personal financial situation has worsened during Biden's term, the highest share the poll...
US to Establish Diplomatic Ties
With Cook Islands and Niue
Sep 24, 2023 11:45 AM CDT
US to Establish Diplomatic Ties With Cook Islands and Niue
Biden moves to shore up ties in Pacific, whose leaders have issues on climate change
- President Biden plans to establish diplomatic relations Monday with two South Pacific nations, the Cook Islands and Niue, as his administration aims to show to Pacific Island leaders that it is committed to increasing American presence in the region. The announcement comes as Biden prepares to welcome leaders to Washington...
With His Arm
Sep 23, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
Biden Leads With His Arm in Encouraging Vaccinations
Doctor says president encourages everyone to catch up on shots
- President Biden caught up on vaccinations before urging everyone else to do the same. The White House announced Saturday that the president received a COVID booster vaccination and a flu shot on Friday,
reports. Biden recently was vaccinated against respiratory syncytial virus, Dr. Kevin O'Connor, the presidential...
Biden Makes Big
on UAW Strike
Sep 23, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
President is heading to Michigan on Tuesday to stand with union workers on the picket line
- The United Auto Workers strike expanded on Friday , with union workers walking out of dozens of additional parts-distribution centers across the nation amid sluggish negotiations with Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis, Detroit's "Big Three" automakers. Now, a big-name boost is heading to the picket line next week: President...
White House Rolls Out
a Gun Violence Initiative
Sep 22, 2023 8:17 AM CDT
White House Rolls Out a Gun Violence Initiative
VP Kamala Harris will oversee the new Office of Gun Violence Prevention
- For the first time, the White House will have an office dedicated solely to fighting gun violence. The Biden administration announced its plans Wednesday on the new office, which Reuters notes will "implement existing laws and work with local authorities to pass gun safety legislation at the state level,...
Biden Invokes Executive Power,
Goes Ahead With Climate Corps
Sep 20, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Biden Invokes Executive Power, Goes Ahead With Climate Corps
Shot down by Congress, New Deal-style corps will serve as major green-jobs training program
- After being thwarted by Congress, President Biden will use his executive authority to create a New Deal-style climate initiative that will serve as a major green-jobs training program. In an announcement Wednesday, the White House said the program will employ about 20,000 young adults who will build trails, plant...
Sep 19, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
Highlights of Biden's Speech to UN
He warns that the world can't allow Ukraine to be 'carved up'
- President Biden addressed the UN General Assembly on Tuesday, and while he dropped no bombshells, he castigated Russia over its Ukraine war and warned of the "existential threat" posed to the world by climate change. Some highlights of the speech, as rounded up by the
New York Times
New York Protests Pressure
Biden, UN on Fossil Fuels
Sep 17, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
New York Protests Pressure Biden, UN on Fossil Fuels
Climate summit this week will not hear from the US
- Frustration over inaction on the harm to the planet being done by fossil fuels brought tens of thousands of protesters to the streets of Manhattan on Sunday. The demonstration was held in anticipation of UN meetings this week on addressing global warming, but the message was aimed most directly at...
For Biden, UAW Strike
Is High Stakes
Sep 15, 2023 2:55 PM CDT
For Biden, UAW Strike Is High Stakes
President's economic vision is just one issue on the line
- President Biden on Friday addressed the autoworkers strike he said nobody wanted. "Workers deserve a fair share," Biden said in remarks delivered at the White House. "The companies have made some significant offers, but I believe it should go further to ensure record corporate profits mean record...
Biden, Zelensky Plan Meeting
Sep 14, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Biden, Zelensky Plan Meeting
Ukrainian president will be in New York for UN session
- President Biden and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky both plan to address the United Nations General Assembly in New York on Tuesday. At some point during Zelensky's visit, the two will sit down on their own, CNN reports. Neither side would officially confirm that a meeting is planned, but Zelensky...
Judge Again Rules
DACA Is Illegal
Sep 13, 2023 7:20 PM CDT
Judge Again Rules DACA Is Illegal
Decision doesn't shut down program but probably sends it back to the Supreme Court
- The federal program that has prevented the deportation of hundreds of thousands of undocumented young adults has been ruled illegal again, a decision that could send DACA to the US Supreme Court for the third time. In ruling that President Barack Obama exceeded his authority when he created the Deferred...
6 Takes on the Biden
Sep 13, 2023 2:11 PM CDT
6 Takes on the Biden Impeachment Inquiry
Opinions range from 'it's a no brainer' to 'nothing ... justifies the drastic step'
- The US faces a third possible impeachment of a president in less than four years. GOP House Speaker Kevin McCarthy said the impeachment inquiry into President Biden, launched Tuesday , comes in response to "allegations of abuse of power, obstruction and corruption." Some onlookers agree with the reasoning, claiming...
Sep 12, 2023 12:04 PM CDT
Biden Gets Hit Over 9/11 Comments
President said he was at Ground Zero day after the attacks, which is not so
- President Biden is taking some heat over comments he made in a speech in Alaska on Monday to commemorate the 9/11 attacks. "Ground Zero in New York—I remember standing there the next day, and looking at the building," Biden said. "I felt like I was looking...
In Vietnam, Biden Says
He Means No Harm to China
Sep 10, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
In Vietnam, Biden Says He Means No Harm to China
President takes steps to grow closer to another potential counter to Chinese aggression
- President Biden arrived Sunday in Vietnam to seal a "comprehensive strategic partnership," while insisting his attempts to strengthen US relations with China's neighbors are not coming at the expense of Beijing's Communist government. "I don't want to contain China," Biden said during a...
Prince to Full Handshake
Sep 9, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
Biden Upgrades Prince to Full Handshake
Last meeting began with a fist bump
- The Saudi crown prince once vilified by President Biden has been elevated from a fist bump to a hearty handshake. Biden warmly greeted Saudi Arabia's de facto leader, Mohammed bin Salman, after they appeared together along with several other leaders at the Group of 20 summit Saturday in New...
Situation Room Receives
New Look, New Technology
Sep 8, 2023 2:19 PM CDT
Situation Room Receives New Look, New Technology
Complex under White House West Wing has $50M upgrade
- The White House Situation Room—a space of mystique and secrecy—just got a $50 million facelift. Actually, "room" is a misnomer, writes Colleen Long for the AP . It's a 5,500-square-foot, highly secure complex of conference rooms and offices on the ground floor of the West Wing....
Biden Wears, Then Removes
Mask at White House Ceremony
Sep 5, 2023 6:41 PM CDT
Biden Wears, Then Removes Mask at White House Ceremony
President tested negative for COVID Tuesday
- President Biden turned up in a mask for the first time in months on Tuesday, a day after his wife tested positive for COVID-19. But the president quickly ditched it during a ceremony honoring an 81-year-old Vietnam veteran, and the two unmasked octogenarians shared a hearty handshake before they parted....
First Lady Jill Biden
Has COVID Again
Sep 5, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
First Lady Jill Biden Has COVID Again
President has so far tested negative
- Jill Biden tested positive for COVID-19 Monday, her spokesperson said, but the first lady currently has just mild symptoms. President Joe Biden tested negative after his wife's test came back positive, but the White House press secretary said he would be monitored for symptoms and would continue to be...
Biden Has Reason to
Celebrate This Labor Day
Sep 4, 2023 6:22 AM CDT
Biden Has Reason to Celebrate This Labor Day
US in 'one of the strongest job-creating periods in our history'
- President Biden, who often says he's the most pro-union president in history, is heading to Philadelphia on Monday for the annual Tri-State Labor Day Parade. The Democratic president is expected to speak about the importance of unions in the United States and how the economy is recovering from the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.