Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Puerto Rico Will Be Rebuilt,
Biden Promises on Visit
Oct 3, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Puerto Rico Will Be Rebuilt, Biden Promises on Visit
FEMA chief acknowledges issues 'in the previous administration'
- President Biden promised to "rebuild it all" while visiting Puerto Rico on Monday, as tens of thousands of people remain without power two weeks after Hurricane Fiona struck and residents worry that Washington's dedication to their recovery could prove fleeting. "I'm committed to this island,"...
Supreme Court Won't Hear
States' Vaccine Mandate Case
Oct 3, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Supreme Court Won't Hear States' Vaccine Mandate Case
Missouri led opposition to Biden rule for health care workers
- The Supreme Court on Monday declined to take up an appeal brought by 10 states challenging a federal vaccine mandate for health care workers. The states' case, led by Republican-run Missouri, sought to toss out a rule imposed by President Biden in November 2021, Reuters reports, that applies to workers...
Venezuela Frees 7 Americans
Oct 1, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
Venezuela Frees 7 Americans
Biden releases drug convicts in exchange for US detainees
- Seven Americans who were detained in Venezuela are coming home after a prisoner swap in exchange for two imprisoned members of President Nicolas Maduro's family, President Biden announced Saturday. The decision to grant clemency to the two Venezuelans, who are nephews of Maduro's wife, was made by Biden,...
Some Borrowers Ineligible
After Student Loan Plan Tweak
Sep 30, 2022 1:10 AM CDT
Some Borrowers Ineligible After Student Loan Plan Tweak
The change was quietly made the same day 6 GOP-led states sued
- With six Republican-led states now suing to stop President Biden's student loan debt relief plan from coming to pass, his administration on Thursday made a quiet, unannounced change to that plan. As CNN reports, about 770,000 borrowers whose federal student loans are guaranteed by the government but are...
'Substantial Loss of Life'
Is Possible in Florida: Biden
Sep 29, 2022 1:49 PM CDT
'Substantial Loss of Life' Is Possible in Florida: Biden
First storm deaths are reported as president declares major disaster
- President Biden warned Thursday that Hurricane Ian could turn out to be the deadliest storm in Florida history, causing a "substantial loss of life." Biden made the remarks at the Washington headquarters of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, NBC News reports. The first storm deaths were reported, per...
Biden Asks for
Died Last Month
Sep 28, 2022 4:24 PM CDT
Biden Asks for Lawmaker Who Died Last Month
Press secretary says president had the late Rep. Jackie Walorski on his mind
- President Biden received no response at an event Wednesday when he called out to the audience for Rep. Jackie Walorski. The Indiana Republican was killed Aug. 3 in a highway accident . The president was thanking lawmakers of both parties at the White House conference on hunger, nutrition, and health for...
53 Years After Nixon's
Hunger Conference, a Big Goal
Sep 28, 2022 12:25 PM CDT
53 Years After Nixon's Hunger Conference, a Big Goal
Biden wants to see hunger eliminated in the US by 2030
- President Biden has set a massive goal, but one he considers doable: End hunger in the US by 2030. He said as much Wednesday at the first White House conference on hunger, nutrition, and health since 1969—one that was held under President Nixon. What you need to know:
CBO to Biden: Here's
Your Student Debt Price Tag
Sep 27, 2022 6:15 AM CDT
CBO to Biden: Here's Your Student Debt Price Tag
$400B over the next 30 years, it estimates
- President Biden’s plan for student debt cancellation will cost the federal government about $400 billion over the next 30 years, according to new estimates from the Congressional Budget Office. The figures were released Monday in response to a request from Republican lawmakers who oppose Biden’s plan in large...
Elton John's WH Concert
Ends With a Big Surprise
Sep 24, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
President Biden presented 75-year-old singer with National Humanities Medal
- Elton John is currently on his farewell tour after a half-century of performing, and he made an extra-special stop on Friday night: the White House. The 75-year-old singer appeared as a guest of President Biden and first lady Jill Biden for a performance meant to help honor "everyday history...
US Has Been Quietly Warning
Russia Not to Go Nuclear
Sep 23, 2022 10:54 AM CDT
US Has Been Quietly Warning Russia Not to Go Nuclear
Putin's veiled threat came after months of backchannel warnings: reports
- Vladimir Putin's veiled warning about the use of nuclear weapons to defend Russia came after months of backchannel warnings from the US about exactly such behavior. Officials tell the
and CNN that the US has consistently warned Russia for months in private communications about the grave consequences...
Biden Takes Another
Emergency Step for Puerto Rico
Sep 22, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
Biden Takes Another Emergency Step for Puerto Rico
Major disaster declaration unlocks federal funding to be administered through FEMA
- Days after approving an emergency declaration as Hurricane Fiona whomped Puerto Rico , President Biden has now issued a major disaster declaration to help the island recover. Gov. Pedro Pierluisi thanked the president and the Federal Emergency Management Agency for the expedited declaration Wednesday, saying it ensures Puero Rico "will...
in UN Speeches
Sep 21, 2022 7:36 PM CDT
Biden, Zelensky Condemn Russia in UN Speeches
Both presidents decry the brutality of the invasion
- President Biden delivered a fierce condemnation of Russia's invasion of Ukraine to the UN on Wednesday, while Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in a prerecorded video speech demanded justice. "A permanent member of the UN Security Council invaded its neighbor, attempted to erase a sovereign state from the map....
GOP Have Doubts
Sep 20, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Health Experts, GOP Have Doubts About Biden's Pandemic Claim
It's not over, officials point out, when 400 people are dying of COVID each day
Add Anthony Fauci to the list of people contradicting President Biden's assertion that the COVID-19 pandemic is over. Fauci, Biden's top COVID adviser, said Monday that the US is "not where we need to be if we’re going to be able to, quote, ‘live...
'60 minutes' interview
Sep 19, 2022 12:44 AM CDT
Biden Says 'Pandemic Is Over'
And more from president's '60 Minutes' interview
- President Biden appeared on
Sunday night in what the AP refers to as a "rare" interview, discussing the COVID-19 pandemic and the raid on former President Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence, among other things. His declaration on the state of the pandemic in the US was fairly bold:...
In London, Biden
Praises the Queen
Sep 18, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
In London, Biden Praises the Queen
Elizabeth was 'all about service,' president says before event for world leaders
- Queen Elizabeth II "was the same in person as her image: decent, honorable and all about service," President Biden told reporters in London after signing a condolence book Sunday evening. "Our hearts go out to the royal family, King Charles and all of the family," he...
Win a Sick Day
for the First Time
Sep 15, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Railroad Unions Win a Sick Day for the First Time
Workers will be able to go to medical appointments without being penalized under new contract
- More than 40 years after President Ronald Reagan fired air traffic controllers who went on strike, President Biden decided against taking a hard line in the negotiations between freight railroads and unions. In private talks, Biden defended the workers' positions, the
reports. In the middle of the night,...
Biden to Meet With Families
of Griner, Whelan
Sep 15, 2022 12:56 PM CDT
Biden to Meet With Families of Griner, Whelan
Both are jailed in Russia
- President Biden plans to meet at the White House on Friday with family members of WNBA star Brittney Griner and Michigan corporate security executive Paul Whelan , both of whom remain jailed in Russia, senior administration officials told the AP . The separate meetings are to be the first in-person encounter between...
Sep 12, 2022 7:40 PM CDT
Biden Evokes JFK Moonshot Challenge in Cancer Fight
Initiative aims to cut deaths from the disease in half in 25 years
- Sixty years to the day after President John F. Kennedy's famous speech about Americans reaching the moon, President Biden delivered an update on his plan to battle cancer that he likens to the challenge issued in 1962. "This cancer moonshot is one of the reasons why I ran...
Sep 11, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
Marking 9/11, Biden Says the Fight Goes On
President pledges pursuit of terrorists continues though war in Afghanistan ended
- President Biden marked the 21st anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks on Sunday, taking part in a somber wreath-laying ceremony at the Pentagon and paying tribute to "extraordinary Americans" who lost their lives on one of the nation's darkest days. Held under a steady rain, the ceremony occurred...
Biden: I'm Going
to Queen's Funeral
Sep 9, 2022 2:46 PM CDT
Biden: I'm Going to Queen's Funeral
President met Elizabeth three times, including for tea at Windsor
- President Biden told reporters Friday that he will attend Queen Elizabeth II's funeral in London. "I don't know what the details are yet, but I'll be going," the president said, per
. Buckingham Palace has not released a schedule yet, but the service is...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Police Link 2 More Shootings to Possible California Serial Killer
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.