Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
COVID relief bill
Stories 21 - 40 |
Monthly Payments to Families
With Kids Could Start in July
Feb 7, 2021 3:32 PM CST
Monthly Payments to Families With Kids Could Start in July
New legislation is slated to be unveiled on Monday
- Legislation that would provide payments totaling up to $3,600 a year per child to tens of millions of American families is set to be unveiled on Monday, the
reports. The legislation, spearheaded by Democratic Rep. Richard Neal, advances a key provision of President Biden’s $1.9...
After 'Vote-a-Rama,' Harris
Breaks Tie on Budget Bill
Feb 5, 2021 6:43 AM CST
After 'Vote-a-Rama,' Harris Breaks Tie on Budget Bill
Chamber spent 15 hours voting on amendments
- After a freewheeling 15-hour "vote-a-rama," Vice President Kamala Harris used her vote to break a 50-50 Senate tie and clear the way for President Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID relief plan early Friday. The budget resolution will allow Democrats to bypass the filibuster and get the relief...
Do You Have $1,400
Coming Your Way, and When?
Jan 21, 2021 10:55 AM CST
Do You Have $1,400 Coming Your Way, and When?
CBS News suggests $1,400 checks may wait until March or April
- Now that Joe Biden is officially in the Oval Office , the work begins—and at the top of many Americans' minds is when they can expect stimulus checks to help them get through the pandemic. The president has a $1.9 trillion COVID relief proposal on deck, and contained in...
You Might Get $2K
Relief Check After All
Jan 7, 2021 11:51 AM CST
You Might Get $2K Relief Check After All
Schumer says it's No. 1 priority in Democrat-controlled Senate
- It got a little lost in the shuffle of Wednesday's chaos in DC, but the pair of Democratic Senate wins in Georgia means that Americans might get $2,000 in COVID relief checks after all. In this case, that would likely mean an additional payment of $1,400 on...
McConnell Says He Won't
Be 'Bullied' on $2K Checks
Dec 30, 2020 5:56 PM CST
McConnell Says He Won't Be 'Bullied' on $2K Checks
He blocks vote on bill for second day
- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell vowed Wednesday that he would not be "bullied" into holding a vote on increasing stimulus checks for $2,000. He blocked a vote on a House bill to boost payments despite pressure from Democrats and President Trump, who tweeted "$2000 ASAP!" Wednesday...
Payments Are on the Way
Dec 29, 2020 6:49 PM CST
Mnuchin: Stimulus Payments Are on the Way
He says first payments will arrive Tuesday night
- Stimulus payments are on the way, Steven Mnuchin says. The Treasury Secretary announced Tuesday that the first stimulus payments of up to $600 per person would be arriving in bank accounts within hours, the
reports. "These payments may begin to arrive in some accounts by direct deposit as...
McConnell Blocks Vote
on $2K Relief Checks
Dec 29, 2020 3:04 PM CST
McConnell Blocks Vote on $2K Relief Checks
Trump says measure must pass unless Republicans have a 'death wish'
- While the final weeks of President Trump's time in office were always going to be unpredictable, not many people thought he'd end up on the same side as Sen. Bernie Sanders in a clash with Senate Republicans. The president lashed out Tuesday after Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell...
We May Be Having the
Wrong Debate on Relief Checks
Dec 29, 2020 12:37 PM CST
We May Be Having the Wrong Debate on Relief Checks
The real question is why rich people are getting them, too, writes Catherine Rampell
- The issue of whether Americans will get relief checks of $600 or $2,000 is now in the hands of the Senate, and the legislative jiu-jitsu already has begun. It's expected to play out over a few days, and how it will end up is anyone's guess at...
Sanders: I'll Filibuster
Over $2K Relief Checks
Dec 29, 2020 6:06 AM CST
Sanders: I'll Filibuster Over $2K Relief Checks
He wants vote on increasing the amount from $600, could keep senators from going home
- Whether Americans will get checks for $600 or $2,000 is now up to the Senate, and it looks like the next few days are going to be interesting ones in the chamber. Bernie Sanders on Monday threatened to filibuster unless the Senate votes quickly on the measure, reports the...
Back on Track
Dec 28, 2020 6:11 AM CST
Relief Checks Back on Track After Trump Signs Bill
Amount expected to be $600, though Congress will vote on raising it to $2K
- After a delay of nearly a week , President Trump on Sunday night backed down, as many had begged him to do , and signed the COVID relief bill. That means the government won't shut down, as would have happened had he not signed by Monday night, Politico reports. It also...
Why a Pro Sports Team
Got a $4.82M COVID Loan
Dec 28, 2020 4:15 AM CST
Why a Pro Sports Team Got a $4.82M COVID Loan
The Pittsburgh Penguins needed it for rent, apparently
- The Pittsburgh Penguins, an NHL team valued at $650 million, received a $4.82 million loan through the Paycheck Protection Program, part of the CARES Act passed at the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic. According to Larry Brooks at the
New York Post
, the hockey team was the only one...
Sign the Bill,
Dec 27, 2020 11:30 AM CST
Sign the Bill, Lawmakers Tell Trump
Congress can approve more relief later, both parties say
- Lawmakers of both parties pressed President Trump on Sunday to sign the COVID-19 relief and spending bill, after unemployment benefits for millions of Americans expired overnight. "What the president is doing right now is unbelievably cruel," said Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont. "So many people are hurting....
Limbo on COVID Relief
Starts Hitting Home Saturday
Dec 26, 2020 9:17 AM CST
Limbo on COVID Relief Starts Hitting Home Saturday
Unemployment benefits for millions begin expiring
- The impasse in DC on a COVID relief package begins to get very real on Saturday for millions of Americans. Two programs set up during the pandemic to provide benefits for the unemployed expire, reports CNBC . One helps self-employed and gig workers and the other provides $300 a week to...
'Several People Broke Down
Crying in Phone Interviews'
Dec 25, 2020 11:31 AM CST
'Several People Broke Down Crying in Phone Interviews'
'Washington Post' interviews those on brink of losing jobless aid or their businesses
- It's a rough read for Christmas Day. But the
interviews 10 people pushed to the financial brink because of the pandemic who can't understand why Congress and the White House haven't been able to agree on a relief package. "Several people broke down crying...
Attempt to Increase COVID
Relief Checks Fails in House
Dec 24, 2020 10:05 AM CST
Attempt to Increase COVID Relief Checks Fails in House
House Democrats side with Trump on bigger amount, but Republicans block measure
- So how much will Americans get in COVID relief payments, and when will they get it? Check back Monday. House Democrats and Republicans engaged in a quick battle of legislative maneuvers on Thursday that effectively punted the issue into next week. The recap: Earlier this week, Congress passed legislation that...
Trump Shocks Aides
With His Call for $2K
Dec 23, 2020 6:45 AM CST
Trump Shocks Aides With His Call for $2K
And some of his staunchest opponents agree
- President Trump has a complaint—and some of his fiercest critics are on his side this time. In video posted to Twitter on Tuesday, the POTUS called the $600 figure arrived at by Congress for round two of coronavirus stimulus money "ridiculously low," calling on lawmakers to bump...
Its Longest Bill Ever
Dec 22, 2020 12:20 AM CST
Congress Approves Its Longest Bill Ever
The $900B COVID relief package
- Congress passed a $900 billion pandemic relief package that would finally deliver long-sought cash to businesses and individuals and resources to vaccinate a nation confronting a frightening surge in COVID-19 cases and deaths. Lawmakers tacked on a $1.4 trillion catchall spending bill and thousands of pages of other end-of-session...
You Might Get
Dec 21, 2020 8:00 AM CST
You Might Get Your COVID Relief Check Next Week
Treasury's Mnuchin says they'll be delivered quickly
- The next round of COVID relief checks promised to Americans won't arrive in time for Christmas, but they won't be too far behind, either. Treasury chief Stephen Mnuchin told CNBC Monday that he expects a quick turnaround. "The good news is this is a very, very fast...
Top Congressional Leaders
Reach COVID Relief Deal
Dec 20, 2020 5:15 PM CST
Top Congressional Leaders Reach COVID Relief Deal
Sen. Mitch McConnell says 'More help is on the way'
- Congressional leaders announced Sunday that a COVID relief bill is in the bag, the
New York Times
reports. "We can finally report what our nation has needed to hear for a very long time: More help is on the way," said Sen. Mitch McConnell. With just hours left...
Political Odd Couple May Have
Paved Way for COVID Relief
Dec 20, 2020 5:30 AM CST
Political Odd Couple May Have Paved Way for COVID Relief
Meanwhile, a government shutdown loomed
- Top congressional lawmakers struck a late-night agreement on the last major obstacle to a COVID-19 economic relief package costing nearly $1 trillion, clearing the way for votes as early as Sunday. Per the AP , a Democratic aide said that an agreement had been reached late Saturday and that compromise language...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Video Emerges of Giuliani Incident at Grocery Store
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Why Some Jews, Muslims, See Roe Reversal as an Attack
John Cornyn's Brown v. Board of Education Tweet Causes Uproar
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.