Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Memo Shows US Diplomats
Splitting With Biden on Israel
Nov 6, 2023 7:20 PM CST
Memo Shows US Diplomats Splitting With Biden on Israel
State Department staff members call for making criticism of military strategy public
- A dissent memo circulated by State Department staff members includes blunt criticism of President Biden's diplomatic efforts involving the Israel-Hamas war and proposes the administration make changes. Although it's not clear how many people signed the memo, or what it says in its final form, indications are that...
As US Urges Pause, Israel
Strikes 2 More Refugee Camps
Nov 6, 2023 12:00 AM CST
As US Urges Pause, Israel Strikes 2 More Refugee Camps
Dozens reportedly killed as Blinken continues his third visit since war broke out
- Israeli airstrikes hit two refugee camps in the central Gaza Strip on Sunday, killing at least 53 people including children and wounding dozens in central Gaza, health officials said. The Palestinian death toll in the Israel-Hamas war surpassed 9,700 with more than 4,000 of them children and minors,...
Blinken Goes to Baghdad
Nov 5, 2023 3:55 PM CST
Blinken Goes to Baghdad
Secretary of state takes appeal to limit fighting to Turkey next
- After talks in the West Bank on Sunday, Secretary of State Antony Blinken flew to Iraq on his mission to keep the Israel-Hamas war from spreading—especially to Americans in the Middle East. "It was very important to send a very clear message to anyone who might seek to...
Nov 3, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
74 More US Citizens Leave Gaza
Americans with dual citizenship are the latest to leave
- President Biden said Thursday that 74 US citizens with dual citizenship have left the Gaza Strip, announcing the development as he dispatched his top diplomat to the Middle East for consultation with Israeli and Jordanian leaders concerning the Israel-Hamas war, the AP reports. "We got out today 74 American...
After Latest Airstrike, Calls
for End to Israeli 'War Crimes'
Nov 1, 2023 6:32 AM CDT
After Latest Airstrike, Calls for End to Israeli 'War Crimes'
Arab nations condemn Israeli strike on refugee camp as groups claim use of white phosphorus
- Dozens of people entered the Rafah crossing from Gaza to Egypt on Wednesday in what appeared to be the first time foreign passport holders have been allowed to leave the besieged territory since the start of the Israel-Hamas war more than three weeks ago, the AP reports. Egyptian state-run media...
Protesters Disrupt Blinken
Testimony on Israel
Oct 31, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Protesters Disrupt Blinken Testimony on Israel
Demonstrators call for a ceasefire in Gaza, no more US military aid to Israel
- Protesters calling for a ceasefire in Gaza disrupted testimony by Secretary of State Antony Blinken before a Senate committee on Tuesday. As Blinken tried to make his opening remarks to members of the appropriations panel, a member of the Code Pink antiwar group shouted "Save the children of Gaza!...
Aid Reaches Gaza as
US Issues a Warning
Oct 22, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Aid Reaches Gaza as US Issues a Warning
Austin, Blinken say military is ready if Americans are attacked
- On a day of stepped-up clashes , US officials said they expect the Israel-Hamas war to widen—warning that if that happens, they'll answer any attacks on Americans. Gaza received humanitarian aid on Sunday, and a UN official said more will arrive Monday. Developments include:
In Middle East Stops, Blinken
Lobbies for Limiting War
Oct 14, 2023 3:50 PM CDT
In Middle East Stops, Blinken Lobbies for Limiting War
Biden emphasizes concern for civilians to Netanyahu
- With an invasion of Gaza imminent, Secretary of State Antony Blinken went to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates on Saturday to build international support for ensuring the Israel-Hamas war doesn't spread. Blinken also placed a call to Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi, the
New York Times
UN Warns of Gaza 'Disaster,'
American Toll Rises
Oct 12, 2023 2:14 PM CDT
UN Warns of Gaza 'Disaster,' American Toll Rises
Secretary of State Antony Blinken is in Israel in wake of the Hamas attacks
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken condemned the "reign of terror" of Hamas as he traveled to Israel on Thursday to meet with Benjamin Netanyahu as well as the families of Americans killed or taken hostage. As Israel inched closer to a ground invasion, Blinken also urged restraint, notes the...
US Frees Up $6B in Frozen Iran
Funds in Prisoner Swap Deal
Sep 12, 2023 9:43 AM CDT
US Frees Up $6B in Frozen Iran Funds in Prisoner Swap Deal
Arrangement advances to free 5 Iranian prisoners in US in exchange for 5 American prisoners in Iran
- Five American citizens detained in Iran are now set to be released, after the Biden administration agreed to release five Iranian citizens held in the United States. Per the AP , the next step in the deal also included the US issuing a waiver to banks around the world to allow...
As Blinken Visits Ukraine,
Attack Kills 17 Civilians
Sep 6, 2023 6:48 PM CDT
As Blinken Visits Ukraine, Attack Kills 17 Civilians
Russian missile hit outdoor food market
- A Russian missile tore through an outdoor market in eastern Ukraine on Wednesday, killing 17 people, as US Secretary of State Antony Blinken returned to the country with more than $1 billion in new American funding for Ukraine, including military and humanitarian aid. Blinken's fourth visit was overshadowed by...
4 Missing After Helicopter
Goes Down in Drill With US
Jul 29, 2023 3:45 PM CDT
4 Missing After Helicopter Goes Down in Drill With US
Search for Australian crew is centered off coast of Queensland
- Four air crew members were missing after an Australian army helicopter ditched into waters off the Queensland state coast during joint military exercises with the US, officials said Saturday. The MRH-90 Taipan helicopter went down near Lindeman Island, a Great Barrier Reef tourist resort, around about 11pm Friday, exercise director...
Xi Jinping Snubs Kerry,
Jul 21, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Xi Jinping Snubs Kerry, Welcomes Kissinger
Chinese leader hails 'insightful' American
- Xi Jinping didn't meet John Kerry while the top US climate envoy was in China this week—but he met, and praised, an American who first came to Beijing for talks with Chinese leaders more than 50 years ago. Xi described Henry Kissinger as an "old friend" when...
Passport Crisis Snarls Travel
Jul 6, 2023 1:40 AM CDT
Passport Crisis Snarls Travel
Scaled back during pandemic, agency now can't recover
- We previously reported that the passport situation in the US is bad, but just how bad? The State Department recommends that you submit your passport application at least six months prior to your departure date, NBC News reports. Take into account, of course, that first you have to book an...
Blinken: Multinational Force
Is Needed in Haiti
Jul 5, 2023 7:10 PM CDT
Blinken: Multinational Force Is Needed in Haiti
US will have to play a 'crucial role,' another leader says
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Wednesday that a multinational force is needed to help Haiti's National Police restore order, echoing recent appeals made by UN officials who warn that the country's insecurity is worsening. Blinken briefly spoke about Haiti and other issues during a one-day trip to...
Xi Sends a Message,
Meets With Blinken
Jun 19, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Xi Sends a Message, Meets With Blinken
US secretary of state greeted by Chinese leader in Beijing, seen as a sign of improving diplomacy
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken has wrapped up his two-day visit to China , one that culminated in a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping on Monday. That the meeting took place at all is being seen as perhaps the most significant development of the trip—it was not a sure...
US, China List Differences
in 'Candid,' 'Constructive' Talks
Jun 18, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
US, China List Differences in 'Candid,' 'Constructive' Talks
Taiwan sits atop the list, state media reports
- The top diplomats of the US and China brought their own lists of disagreements and grievances to a meeting Sunday in Beijing , and neither side appears to have let any of them go. Chinese state media reported afterward that Foreign Minister Qin Gang made clear to Secretary of State Antony...
With Tensions High,
Blinken Lands in China
Jun 18, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
With Tensions High, Blinken Lands in China
He is the first US secretary of state in 5 years to make the trip
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Sunday kicked off two days of high-stakes diplomatic talks in Beijing aimed at trying to cool exploding US-China tensions, reports the AP . Blinken opened his program by meeting Chinese Foreign Minister Qin Gang for an extended discussion to be followed by a working dinner....
On the G20 Sidelines,
an 'Unexpected' Huddle
Mar 2, 2023 9:50 AM CST
On the G20 Sidelines, an 'Unexpected' Huddle
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov briefly meet
- At a G20 meeting in India's New Delhi on Thursday, Russia took the opportunity to slam calls from the West to end its war in Ukraine. On the sidelines of that meeting, however, another surprise get-together was taking place: that of US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Russian...
US Is Worried China May
Make Big Move for Russia
Feb 20, 2023 11:17 AM CST
US Is Worried China May Make Big Move for Russia
Blinken says Beijing might supply weapons, a major escalation of aid
- On the eve of the one-year anniversary of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, the US appears to be increasingly alarmed that China is about to start helping Vladimir Putin in a big way. If Beijing does so, it threatens not only to prolong the war but to turn the conflict...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.