Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Critics Fault Facebook Move
on RFK Jr.'s Group: 'Too Late'
Aug 19, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Critics Fault Facebook Move on RFK Jr.'s Group: 'Too Late'
Children's Health Defense anti-vax nonprofit also booted off Instagram
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has already been personally kicked off of Instagram. Now the social media platform—along with Facebook, also owned by Meta—has booted Kennedy's nonprofit, too, for repeatedly breaching rules on spreading misinformation about COVID-19, vaccines, and other pandemic health measures. The two platforms this week...
Joe Rogan, Spotify Respond
to Misinfo Protests
Jan 31, 2022 6:55 AM CST
Joe Rogan, Spotify Respond to Misinfo Protests
Podcaster says he doesn't think he's spreading bad info but agrees on new Spotify COVID advisories
- Scientists , doctors , and famous performers have come out in full force to slam the Spotify podcast of Joe Rogan, accusing him of spreading misinformation on COVID and climate change. Finally, Rogan is now publicly responding, as is the streaming platform. In a lengthy video posted to Instagram late Sunday,...
Jan 29, 2022 8:45 AM CST
Spotify Loses Another Big Name Over 'Irresponsible People'
Singer Joni Mitchell joins Neil Young in pushing back against Joe Rogan podcast, COVID misinfo
- Spotify has agreed to remove Neil Young's songs from its music-streaming platform—at Young's request, in protest of Joe Rogan's podcast and other COVID misinformation—and now it's got another famous name following suit. On Friday, singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell announced she, too, would be yanking her...
Scientists Take Issue With
Joe Rogan Podcast Discussion
Jan 28, 2022 8:00 AM CST
Scientists Take Issue With Joe Rogan Podcast Discussion
Experts label climate comments by guest Jordan Peterson as dangerous nonsense
- More critics are accusing the Spotify-exclusive Joe Rogan Experience podcast of sharing dangerous misinformation after Tuesday's episode in which a guest spouted what one scientist calls a "word salad of nonsense" about climate science. Just days after 270 members of the US scientific and medical communities demanded Spotify...
Dan Bongino Permanently
Jan 27, 2022 6:25 AM CST
YouTube Bars Dan Bongino Permanently
He kept posting misinformation, skirting suspensions
YouTube has permanently barred Dan Bongino. While the right-wing radio and Fox News host's channel was on a one-week suspension for violating the misinformation policy, another account associated with Bongino posted another video with the same misinformation. That not only violated YouTube's misinformation policy, but also Google'...
Spotify Says It's
Taking Down All
Neil Young's Music
Jan 26, 2022 5:57 PM CST
Spotify Says It's Taking Down All Neil Young's Music
Rocker wanted it pulled to protest Joe Rogan's COVID misinformation
: Spotify says it is removing Neil Young's music from its platform as per his request. The rocker said Monday that he wanted his music pulled to protest Joe Rogan's podcast and other COVID misinformation on Spotify. "We regret Neil’s decision to remove his music from...
80 Fact-Checking Groups:
YouTube Is Being 'Weaponized'
Jan 12, 2022 11:20 AM CST
80 Fact-Checking Groups: YouTube Is Being 'Weaponized'
Platform is a 'major conduit' of disinformation, say groups in more than 60 countries
- YouTube isn't doing enough to tackle fake news on its platform, according to a letter signed by more than 80 fact-checking groups in more than 60 countries. The groups, including the
Fact Checker and UK's Full Fact, say disinformation and misinformation fly under the radar of...
Greene: 'Facebook Joined
Twitter in Censoring Me'
Jan 3, 2022 1:18 PM CST
Greene: 'Facebook Joined Twitter in Censoring Me'
She posts that she was barred from posting, commenting for 24 hours
Less than 24 hours after Twitter gave Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene a permanent boot, Facebook made a similar but much briefer move, blocking her from the site for 24 hours. Politico reports Greene took to the social media platform GETTR with the news, writing, "Facebook has joined Twitter...
Don't Blame Us for
Dec 13, 2021 7:20 AM CST
Facebook Exec: Don't Blame Us for Misinfo, Blame Yourselves
Incoming Meta CTO Andrew Bosworth says individuals bear responsibility for the spread
- We all agree, for the most part, that the spread of misinformation has worsened today's politics and handling of contemporary health issues like COVID. What we may not all agree on, however, is the role that social media plays in promoting that spread. Andrew Bosworth, for instance, a longtime...
He Knows Birds Are Real.
His Movement Says They Aren't
Dec 10, 2021 7:09 AM CST
He Knows Birds Are Real. His Movement Says They Aren't
Birds Aren't Real founder Peter McIndoe on the 'safe space' he's created for Gen Z
- Have you ever seen a baby pigeon? No? It's probably because birds aren't real but rather government drones used to spy on you and steal your information. That's according to the Birds Aren't Real movement, and a movement it is: hundreds of thousands of young people...
Facebook: Scientist Behind
Misinformation Doesn't Exist
Dec 1, 2021 4:58 PM CST
Facebook: Scientist Behind Misinformation Doesn't Exist
Account claimed US was pushing its scientists to blame virus on China
- A disinformation network with ties to China used hundreds of fake social media accounts— including one belonging to a fictitious Swiss biologist—to spread an unfounded claim that the US pressured scientists to blame China for the coronavirus, Facebook said Wednesday. The company based in Menlo Park, California, did not...
Dec 1, 2021 2:57 PM CST
Alternative COVID Treatments Fail Daystar Founder
Marcus Lamb dies of coronavirus infection at age 64
- Marcus Lamb, founder of one of the world's largest Christian television networks and a vocal vaccine opponent, has died of COVID-19 at age 64. Lamb's widow, Joni, confirmed during a broadcast on the evangelical TV network that "the love of my life went to be with Jesus"...
Nov 18, 2021 4:04 PM CST
Iranian Men Charged With US Election Interference
Goals of online campaign were confusion and intimidation, officials say
- Two suspected Iranian computer hackers have been charged with election interference, accused of trying to intimidate American voters ahead of last year's US presidential election by sending threatening messages and spreading disinformation, the AP reports. The effort attracted publicity in the run-up to the November 2020 election, when law...
Twitter Rolls Out
New Warning Labels
Nov 16, 2021 4:53 PM CST
Twitter Rolls Out New Warning Labels
Misinformation warnings will be yellow, red
- Twitter users will soon see new warning labels on false and misleading tweets, redesigned to make them more effective and less confusing. The labels, which the company has been testing since July, are an update from those Twitter used for election misinformation before and after the 2020 presidential contest. Those...
Doctor Against Vax Mandates
Has Her Privileges Yanked
Nov 15, 2021 8:52 AM CST
Doctor Against Vax Mandates Has Her Privileges Yanked
Houston Methodist says Dr. Mary Bowden has spread 'dangerous misinformation' on COVID
- A Texas hospital has suspended the privileges of one of its doctors for airing her "dangerous" views on the coronavirus vaccine. Per KTRK , Houston Methodist announced Friday evening it had yanked privileges for ear, nose, and throat specialist Dr. Mary Bowden, who the hospital says had been "using...
Google Makes Big Move
on Climate Change Denial
Oct 8, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Google Makes Big Move on Climate Change Denial
Company to restrict ads on Google, YouTube that promote climate change misinformation
- Google is cracking down on digital ads promoting false climate-change claims or being used to make money from such content, hoping to limit revenue for climate change deniers and stop the spread of misinformation on its platforms. The company said Thursday in a blog post that the new policy will...
YouTube Makes Big Move
on Anti-Vaccine Content
Sep 29, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
YouTube Makes Big Move on Anti-Vaccine Content
Ban now covers false claims on all vaccines
- YouTube is cracking down on medical misinformation—especially anti-vaccine content. In a blog post Wednesday, the platform said it is expanding a ban on false claims about COVID vaccines to cover other vaccines. YouTube said the ban includes content that "falsely alleges that approved vaccines are dangerous and cause...
Its News Feed,
Sep 16, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Facebook Tweaked Its News Feed, Saw 'Unhealthy Side Effects'
Internal docs show 2018 changes to enhance user engagement made things angrier, more polarizing
- Facebook execs likely aren't looking forward to the latest copies of the
Wall Street Journal
. Earlier this week, the paper published a damning story about Instagram on the platform's harmful effects on teen users (and how the parent company knew about it), as well as an article on...
Facebook Engagement, 6-1
Sep 3, 2021 4:15 PM CDT
Misinformation Dominates Facebook Engagement, 6-1
Company disputes researchers' findings that reliable information lags badly on site
- Misinformation is thriving on Facebook, researchers have found. A new project has shown that publishers who post misinformation are drawing much greater engagement than reliable sources—six times the number of shares, likes, and other interactions, the
reports. The study, which has been peer reviewed, was conducted during...
YouTube Dumps Rand Paul
for a Week Over Mask Misinfo
Aug 11, 2021 8:19 AM CDT
YouTube Dumps Rand Paul for a Week Over Mask Misinfo
GOP senator calls his weeklong booting a 'badge of honor'
- Marjorie Taylor Greene isn't the only Republican lawmaker who's temporarily lost social media privileges . On Tuesday, the same day that Twitter placed the Georgia congresswoman on a seven-day break for posting misinformation on the COVID vaccine, GOP Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky received his own weeklong suspension from...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
The World Has a New Island
For Owners of Some Kias, Hyundais, an Unusual Worry
Radio Station's Move Is Bad News for Favre
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.