Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge Boots Rittenhouse
Juror Over Joke
Nov 4, 2021 1:12 PM CDT
Judge Boots Rittenhouse Juror Over Joke
White retiree joked to court officer about police shooting of Jacob Blake
- A juror in Kyle Rittenhouse's murder trial was dismissed Thursday after a court security officer reported that the man told a joke about the police shooting of Jacob Blake , which set off protests in the Wisconsin city where Rittenhouse is accused of shooting three people. Kenosha County Circuit Judge...
Trial Hinges on
Nov 1, 2021 9:19 AM CDT
Kyle Rittenhouse's Trial Hinges on One Question
Did he act in self-defense when he fatally shot 2 men in Kenosha?
- The Kyle Rittenhouse case is a politically volatile one, but the homicide trial that begins Monday in Kenosha, Wis., will focus on a relatively straightforward question: Did he act in self-defense? If the jury doesn't think so, the 18-year-old from Illinois faces life in prison for killing two men...
Man Shot by Kyle Rittenhouse
Sues: Cops Enabled This
Oct 18, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Man Shot by Kyle Rittenhouse Sues: Cops Enabled This
Gaige Grosskreutz blames city officials, authorities
- A man who was shot in the arm by Kyle Rittenhouse during a protest last year against police brutality in Wisconsin has filed a federal lawsuit alleging police enabled the violence by allowing an armed militia to have free run of the streets during the demonstration, the AP reports. Rittenhouse...
No Federal Charges for Cop
Who Shot Black Man in Back
Oct 9, 2021 11:08 AM CDT
No Federal Charges for Cop Who Shot Black Man in Back
Kenosha shooting in August 2020 sparked deadly protests
- In August 2020, just months after the protests that followed George Floyd’s murder by Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, a police officer in Kenosha, Wisconsin, shot a Black man in the back , leaving him paralyzed. That shooting, too, sparked protests , and the protests were deadly. Kyle Rittenhouse, a 17-year-old...
No Charges for Kenosha Cop
Who Shot Jacob Blake
Jan 5, 2021 5:12 PM CST
No Charges for Kenosha Cop Who Shot Jacob Blake
'Officer Sheskey felt he was about to be stabbed,' DA says
- A disturbing video of a Kenosha, Wisconsin police officer shooting a Black man in the back doesn't tell the full story, a prosecutor said Tuesday, announcing that the officer will not face criminal charges. Kenosha County District Attorney Michael Graveley said Tuesday that Officer Rusten Sheskey and two other...
As City Braces for Protests,
Rittenhouse Pleads Not Guilty
Jan 5, 2021 2:19 PM CST
As City Braces for Protests, Rittenhouse Pleads Not Guilty
Wisconsin governor actives National Guard
- An Illinois teenager who fatally shot two people and wounded a third amidst sometimes violent summer protests on the streets of Kenosha, Wisconsin, pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to charges including intentional homicide. Kyle Rittenhouse, 18, entered his plea in a brief hearing conducted by teleconference that came as Kenosha...
He Got His Gun
Nov 20, 2020 6:27 AM CST
Kyle Rittenhouse Explains How He Got His Gun
Accused Kenosha shooter talks to the 'Washington Post'
- Accused Kenosha shooter Kyle Rittenhouse isn't old enough to buy or own a gun—so, the Illinois 17-year-old tells the
in a new interview, an 18-year-old friend who lives in Kenosha, Wisconsin, bought it for him ... using economic stimulus funds. "I got my $1200 from the...
Will Face Charges
in Only One State
Oct 14, 2020 12:03 AM CDT
Accused Teen Kenosha Shooter Will Face Charges in Only One State
Illinois says there's no evidence Kyle Rittenhouse had gun in the state
- A 17-year-old accused of killing two protesters days after Jacob Blake was shot by police in Kenosha, Wis., will not face charges in his home state of Illinois, prosecutors said Tuesday. An investigation revealed the gun used in the Kenosha shooting was purchased, stored, and used in Wisconsin, the Lake...
Cop Shot Blake for
a Reason, Lawyer Says
Sep 27, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Cop Shot Blake for a Reason, Lawyer Says
But Blake's uncle calls it 'gaslighting'
- The Kenosha police officer who shot Jacob Blake in the back seven times last month told investigators he thought Blake was trying to abduct one of his own children and that he opened fire because Blake started turning toward the officer while holding a knife, the officer's lawyer contends,...
Man Shot at Kenosha:
I Still Hear the Screams
Sep 12, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
Man Shot at Kenosha: I Still Hear the Screams
Gaige Grosskreutz talks about the bullet that made him run for his life
- A Wisconsin man who was shot during a protest against police brutality in Kenosha last month says he still remembers the screams that night and he's in constant pain, the AP reports. Prosecutors say 17-year-old Kyle Rittenhouse of Antioch, Illinois, shot and killed two men during a chaotic protest...
Jacob Blake: 'You Can Change
Your Lives Out There'
Sep 6, 2020 7:05 AM CDT
Jacob Blake: 'You Can Change Your Lives Out There'
Kenosha man releases first words from hospital bed as protests rage on elsewhere
- Jacob Blake released a message from his hospital bed in which he beseeched viewers to take to heart that "Your life and not only just your life, your legs—something that you need to move around, to move forward in life—can be taken like this, man," said...
Biden: I Spoke With
Sep 3, 2020 7:39 PM CDT
Biden: I Spoke With Jacob Blake
Shooting victim says 'nothing is going to defeat him,' says former VP
- Joe Biden told the people of Kenosha, Wisconsin, that the turmoil their city is experiencing can be part of an awakening that helps the US confront centuries of systemic racism and social discord. "We're finally now getting to the point where we're going to be addressing the...
Trump Can Win If He
Follows Bill Clinton's Lead
Sep 1, 2020 12:55 PM CDT
Trump Can Win If He Follows Bill Clinton's Lead
He needs a 'Sister Souljah moment,' writes Jamelle Bouie
- If President Trump wants to win a second term, he will need what has come to be known as a "Sister Souljah moment," writes Jamelle Bouie in the
New York Times
. The reference goes back to the 1992 campaign, when Bill Clinton denounced the words of hip-hop artist...
Trump Mentions Plane Filled
With 'Thugs' in Dark Uniforms
Sep 1, 2020 6:30 AM CDT
Trump Mentions Plane Filled With 'Thugs' in Dark Uniforms
He also says Biden is controlled by people in 'dark shadows'
- In an interview on Fox News on Monday night, President Trump made the case that Joe Biden is not in control of his own campaign. So who is? "People that you've never heard of, people that are in the dark shadows," he told Laura Ingraham, per Politico...
Here's What Trump
Has to Say About
Sep 1, 2020 12:05 AM CDT
Here's What Trump Has to Say About Kyle Rittenhouse
'He would have been, he probably would have been killed' if he hadn't shot
- The night before his controversial visit to Kenosha, Wis., President Trump appeared to back the teen suspected of fatally shooting two protesters in the city. "That was an interesting situation, you saw the same tape that I saw. He was trying to get away from them, I guess, looks...
Wisconsin Governor Asks
Trump Not to Visit
Aug 31, 2020 6:36 AM CDT
Wisconsin Governor Asks Trump Not to Visit
'Now is not the time,' says Tony Evers, but trip is still on for Tuesday
- President Trump plans to visit the hot spot of Kenosha, Wis., on Tuesday, and the state's governor isn't happy about it. In a letter to the president on Sunday, Tony Evers asked Trump to reconsider, reports Fox News . “I am concerned your presence will only hinder our...
Wisconsin Officials Tell
Trump: Don't Come Here
sunday talk shows
Aug 30, 2020 3:40 PM CDT
Wisconsin Officials Tell Trump: Don't Come Here
Wisconsin Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes calls the president's remarks 'incendiary'
- Words are flying on Capitol Hill over the Kenosha protests and President Trump's planned visit to the city on Tuesday. First off, Wisconsin Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes said Sunday that Trump's trip to Kenosha would only fan the flames lit by Jacob Blake's shooting and the days...
Trump Is Heading to Kenosha
Aug 30, 2020 5:33 AM CDT
Trump Is Heading to Kenosha
President will visit city amid protests over police shooting of Jacob Blake in the back
- President Trump will travel to Kenosha, Wis., on Tuesday, amid fury over the police shooting of Jacob Blake in the back , which left the 29-year-old Black man paralyzed. White House spokesman Judd Deere told reporters aboard Air Force One on Saturday that Trump will be meeting with law enforcement officers...
1K March in Kenosha:
'Hell Yeah, I'm Mad'
Aug 29, 2020 5:30 PM CDT
1K March in Kenosha: 'Hell Yeah, I'm Mad'
Protesters rally in Wisconsin for Jacob Blake
- Roughly a thousand people gathered Saturday in Kenosha for a march and rally against police violence, about a week after an officer shot Jacob Blake in the back and left the 29-year-old Black man paralyzed, the AP reports. Marchers chanted "No justice, no peace!" and "Seven bullets,...
Arrests Spark New
Accusations in Kenosha
Aug 29, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Arrests Spark New Accusations in Kenosha
Activists say they're getting collared while militias are tolerated
- Police officers in Kenosha, Wisconsin, were on alert after days of protests over the shooting of Jacob Blake by one of their colleagues, and they'd recently gotten a tip about "suspicious vehicles" from out of state. So, after watching a group of people fill cans at a gas...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.