Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Charges Will Be Dropped in
Rayshard Brooks Shooting
Aug 23, 2022 5:43 PM CDT
Charges Will Be Dropped in Rayshard Brooks Shooting
Black man was shot in the back after struggle with Atlanta officers
- More than two years after Rayshard Brooks, a 27-year-old Black man, was shot and killed by police outside a Wendy's in Atlanta, a special prosecutor has decided not to pursue charges against the two officers involved. Pete Skandalakis said Tuesday that he plans to dismiss all 11 criminal counts,...
Cop Charged With Murder
Sees His Firing Reversed
May 5, 2021 12:21 PM CDT
Cop Charged With Murder Sees His Firing Reversed
Board rules that Garrett Rolfe was wrongly terminated after shooting Rayshard Brooks
- Garrett Rolfe, the Atlanta police officer fired and charged with felony murder after shooting Rayshard Brooks in a Wendy's parking lot last year, has seen that firing reversed. The Atlanta Civil Service Board has ruled that Rolfe was wrongly terminated the day after the Black man's death, CNN...
Atlanta Mayor to Protesters:
'You Shot and Killed a Baby'
Jul 6, 2020 6:30 AM CDT
Atlanta Mayor to Protesters: 'You Shot and Killed a Baby'
8-year-old Secoriea Turner gunned down near Wendy's where Rayshard Brooks was killed
- "Raw emotions and frustration" is how 11Alive describes Atlanta after more than a dozen people were shot, four fatally, in less than 24 hours over the holiday weekend. Among the most devastating of those shootings: 8-year-old Secoriea Turner, who was gunned down and killed near the Wendy's where...
'Sickened' Police Chief
Fires Officer Over Post
Jun 28, 2020 1:40 PM CDT
'Sickened' Police Chief Fires Officer Over Post
Former Officer Ryan Snow posted an image of an armed protester on Facebook
- An Alabama police chief says one of his officers has been fired after posting a photo on social media that depicted a protester in the crosshairs of a rifle scope, the AP reports. Former Officer Ryan Snow was fired Friday, Hoover Police Chief Nick Derzis said. The officer posted the...
Judge Makes Ruling on
Accused Wendy's Arsonist
Jun 24, 2020 4:25 PM CDT
Judge Makes Ruling on Accused Wendy's Arsonist
Natalie White might also be Rayshard Brooks' girlfriend
- A woman accused of torching the Wendy's where Rayshard Brooks was killed will be released—under certain conditions, WSB-TV reports. A judge said Wednesday that Natalie White, 29, can be released on a $10,000 bond if she stays under house arrest and wears an ankle monitor. White was...
MLK Jr. Was Mourned Here.
Rayshard Brooks Will Be, Too
Jun 23, 2020 8:01 AM CDT
MLK Jr. Was Mourned Here. Rayshard Brooks Will Be, Too
Funeral for black man fatally shot by police officer in Wendy's lot takes place Tuesday in Atlanta
- The Atlanta church where Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his very first sermon, served as co-pastor, and was later mourned after his 1968 assassination will also host Tuesday's funeral for Rayshard Brooks , the 27-year-old black man fatally shot by an Atlanta police officer in a Wendy's parking lot...
Trump Weighs In on
Rayshard Brooks Shooting
Jun 18, 2020 4:46 AM CDT
Trump Weighs In on Rayshard Brooks Shooting
'You can't resist a police officer'
- President Trump—unlike prosecutors—appears to believe that the police shooting of Rayshard Brooks in Atlanta may have been justified. In remarks to Sean Hannity on Fox News Wednesday night, the president said it was a "terrible situation" but added that "you can't resist a police officer,...
Officer in Rayshard Brooks
Killing Is Hit With 11 Counts
Jun 17, 2020 3:09 PM CDT
Officer in Rayshard Brooks Killing Is Hit With 11 Counts
Officer Garrett Rolfe is charged with felony murder
- The Atlanta officer who fatally shot Rayshard Brooks in the back after the fleeing man pointed a stun gun in his direction will be charged with felony murder and 10 other charges, a prosecutor said Wednesday, per the AP . Garrett Rolfe kicked Brooks while he lay on the ground and...
Celebrity to Pay
College Tab for
the Children of
Jun 15, 2020 7:45 PM CDT
Celebrity to Pay College Tab for the Children of Rayshard Brooks
Tyler Perry also offers to pay for the Atlanta man's funeral
- Tyler Perry "wanted to do something to help" the family of Rayshard Brooks, who was shot to death Friday night by a police officer in Atlanta. A lawyer for the family announced part of Perry's generosity Monday during the family's press conference. "We do want to...
Jun 15, 2020 3:27 PM CDT
Widow of Rayshard Brooks Speaks Out
She says she can't bear to watch shooting video
- The widow of Rayshard Brooks says she is dreading his funeral—and she has been unable to watch video of him being killed by Atlanta police . "I’m already in enough pain right now, so to see anything of my husband being shot down ... I couldn’t see that,...
Autopsy Results Released
Jun 15, 2020 6:51 AM CDT
Rayshard Brooks' Autopsy Results Released
Atlanta man was shot in the back, twice
- A day after Atlanta police released video of the killing of Rayshard Brooks in the city Friday night, the medical examiner's office released Brooks' autopsy results. The 27-year-old black man, shot to death after a field sobriety test in a Wendy's drive-thru led to a confrontation, was shot...
Cops Release Video of
Rayshard Brooks Killing
Jun 14, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
Cops Release Video of Rayshard Brooks Killing
Police officer Garrett Rolfe is seen shooting the father of 4
- Now the world can see how Rayshard Brooks' life came to an end. Atlanta police released the video—two body cams ( here and here ), dashcam , surveillance —after a Saturday press conference, the
reports. "It does appear in the video that [Brooks] is fleeing from...
Atlanta Wendy's Burns
in New Protests
Jun 14, 2020 5:43 AM CDT
Atlanta Wendy's Burns in New Protests
Some 3 dozen arrested in Georgia as anti-racist protests continue to roil the US, Paris, England
- Protests initially ignited by the May 25 death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police continued over the weekend, as anti-racism protesters sought to call attention to the deaths of two more black men and Black Lives Matter demonstrations unfolded in London and Paris. Early Sunday, Atlanta police...
Atlanta Police Chief
Resigns After Shooting
Jun 13, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Atlanta Police Chief Resigns After Shooting
Police Chief Erika Shields is stepping down
- Atlanta's police chief resigned Saturday hours after a black man was fatally shot by officers in a struggle following a field sobriety test, the AP reports. Authorities said the slain man had grabbed an officer's Taser, but was running away when he was shot. Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance...
Cops Shoot, Kill Black Man
After Struggle at a Wendy's
Jun 13, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Cops Shoot, Kill Black Man After Struggle at a Wendy's
Protesters gather in Atlanta over the death of Rayshard Brooks, 27
- Georgia authorities said Saturday a man was shot and killed in a late night struggle with Atlanta police outside a fast food restaurant after he failed a field sobriety test and resisted arrest, the AP reports. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said it was asked by Atlanta police to investigate...
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.