Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ex-Officer Pleads Guilty
in George Floyd Killing
Oct 24, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
Ex-Officer Pleads Guilty in George Floyd Killing
Former Minneapolis cop J. Alexander Kueng admits aiding and abetting charge
- A former Minneapolis police officer pleaded guilty Monday to aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter in the killing of George Floyd, just as jury selection was about to begin, per the AP . Another former officer waived his right to a jury trial, setting up an unusual proceeding in which the judge...
They Were Barred
Chauvin, Just Got $1.5M
Aug 11, 2022 12:30 AM CDT
They Were Barred From Guarding Chauvin, Just Got $1.5M
Settlement reached in Minnesota case
- The eight Minnesota corrections officers, all people of color, who say they were briefly kept from guarding or having any contact with Derek Chauvin as he waited to go on trial for the 2020 murder of George Floyd have now been awarded a settlement of $1.455 million. The officers,...
Derek Chauvin Just
Got More Prison Time
Jul 7, 2022 3:46 PM CDT
Derek Chauvin Just Got More Prison Time
Ex-officer convicted of violating George Floyd's civil rights
- A federal judge on Thursday sentenced Derek Chauvin to 21 years in prison for violating George Floyd's civil rights, a move that adds a few years to the time the former Minneapolis police officer is already serving for his murder conviction while transferring him to federal custody. US District...
Judge: Ex-Cops in Floyd Killing
Can't Get Fair Trial Right Now
Jun 6, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Judge: Ex-Cops in Floyd Killing Can't Get Fair Trial Right Now
Judge Peter Cahill delays trial of Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng until January
- The judge overseeing the remaining case of two former Minneapolis police officers charged in George Floyd's killing ordered Monday that the trial be delayed until January to improve prospects for a fair trial. Tou Thao and J. Alexander Kueng had been due to go on trial next Monday on...
Jun 1, 2022 7:15 AM CDT
Lawsuits: We Endured Derek Chauvin's 'Signature Move'
Minneapolis city attorney hopes for a 'reasonable settlement'
- Two Minnesotans filed federal civil rights lawsuits Tuesday against the city of Minneapolis and Derek Chauvin, alleging they were traumatized when the former police officer used his "signature move" of kneeling on their necks—the same way that he killed George Floyd, per the AP . John Pope Jr. was...
Federal Judge Accepts
Chauvin Plea Deal
May 4, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Federal Judge Accepts Chauvin Plea Deal
Ex-officer will serve 20 to 25 years for violating George Floyd's civil rights
: A federal judge has accepted a plea deal in the civil rights case against Derek Chauvin and will sentence him to 20 to 25 years in prison. The former police officer pleaded guilty in December to violating George Floyd's civil rights during the arrest that led to the...
Derek Chauvin Appeals
to Overturn Conviction
Apr 27, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Derek Chauvin Appeals to Overturn Conviction
Or, at the very least, he wants a new trial or his sentence reduced after murder of George Floyd
- Derek Chauvin has filed an appeal, seeking to overturn his conviction for murdering George Floyd in May 2020. CNN reports the court filing entered by the former Minneapolis police officer's lawyer on Monday in Minnesota's Court of Appeals detailed a dozen-plus "structurally defective" parts of his case...
Civil Rights Trial Opens for
3 Cops in George Floyd's Death
Jan 24, 2022 2:30 PM CST
Civil Rights Trial Opens for 3 Cops in George Floyd's Death
Prosecutors say they stood by as Chauvin killed Floyd 'right in front of them'
- Prosecutors in the trial of three former Minneapolis police officers charged with violating George Floyd’s civil rights accused the men Monday of standing by as fellow officer Derek Chauvin "slowly killed George Floyd right in front of them." But one defense attorney countered that Chauvin called "...
Chauvin to Judge:
'Guilty, Your Honor'
Dec 15, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Chauvin to Judge: 'Guilty, Your Honor'
Former Minnesota cop pleads guilty to violating George Floyd's civil rights
Derek Chauvin pleaded guilty Wednesday to federal charges of violating George Floyd’s civil rights, averting a trial but likely extending the time he's already spending behind bars on a state conviction. Chauvin appeared in person Wednesday for the change of plea hearing in an orange short-sleeved prison...
Derek Chauvin Is
Denied a Public Defender
Oct 7, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Derek Chauvin Is Denied a Public Defender
He filed an appeal in September, listing 14 issues with conviction
Derek Chauvin's request to have a public defender assist him with his appeal of George Floyd's murder has been shot down by the Minnesota Supreme Court. The
reports Chief Justice Lorie Gildea said Chauvin failed to prove that, as the law requires, he cannot afford...
Chauvin Addresses Alleged
Chokehold on Black Teen
Sep 16, 2021 1:23 PM CDT
Chauvin Addresses Alleged Chokehold on Black Teen
Former cop pleads not guilty to civil rights violation involving 14-year-old
- The former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murder in the death of George Floyd pleaded not guilty Thursday to allegedly violating the civil rights of a teenager in a separate case that involved a restraint similar to the one used on Floyd. Derek Chauvin, who is charged in federal court...
Chauvin, 3 Others Plead
Not Guilty to Federal Charges
Sep 14, 2021 5:18 PM CDT
Chauvin, 3 Others Plead Not Guilty to Federal Charges
Ex-Minneapolis officers are accused of violating George Floyd's civil rights
- Four former Minneapolis police officers pleaded not guilty to federal charges in the death of George Floyd Tuesday—and three of them asked for their trials to be separated from that of Derek Chauvin, who is in prison for murdering the Black man. Chauvin appeared remotely from a maximum security...
Derek Chauvin Gets
22.5 Years in Prison
Jun 25, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Derek Chauvin Gets 22.5 Years in Prison
Former Minneapolis officer offered condolences to George Floyd's family in court
- Derek Chauvin is going to prison for the murder of George Floyd . A judge in Minneapolis on Friday sentenced the former city police officer to 22 and a half years behind bars, reports the AP . Prosecutors had asked for 30 years, while Chauvin's legal team said he deserved only...
Derek Chauvin Will
Learn His Fate Today
Jun 25, 2021 5:09 AM CDT
Derek Chauvin Will Learn His Fate Today
Former Minneapolis officer could be sentenced to decades in prison
- Derek Chauvin will be sentenced Friday for the murder of George Floyd—and while the former Minneapolis police officer remained silent during his trial, he will have an opportunity to speak before the sentence is delivered. Members of Floyd's family will have the opportunity to give victim impact statements,...
In Chauvin Sentencing,
2 Vastly Different Requests
Jun 3, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
In Chauvin Sentencing, 2 Vastly Different Requests
State asks for double the recommended maximum
- Derek Chauvin will be sentenced June 25 on murder and manslaughter charges in the death of George Floyd, but prosecutors and defense attorneys are still a long way apart—a full 30 years, according to a sentencing memorandum filed Wednesday. Prosecutors have requested a 30-year sentence for the former Minneapolis...
One Year After George Floyd
Death, a Mix of Views
May 25, 2021 11:19 AM CDT
One Year After George Floyd Death, a Mix of Views
'I think the verdict is still out on that,' says one observer of the prospects of real change
- Tuesday is the one-year anniversary of the death of George Floyd at the hands of police in Minneapolis, and as part of the observances, members of Floyd's family will visit President Biden at the White House, reports CNN . Others are weighing in on the changes over the past year....
Cops Bust 3 in Macabre
Vandalism of Chauvin
Witness' Old Home
May 13, 2021 2:32 AM CDT
Cops Bust 3 in Macabre Vandalism of Chauvin Witness' Old Home
Police say 3 women smeared home in blood, also left pig's head near former home of Barry Brodd
- Three women have been arrested for allegedly vandalizing the former California home of a former police officer who testified on behalf of Derek Chauvin. Police say the women splashed pig blood on the Santa Rosa home and left a pig's head near the front porch. Rowan Dalbey, 20, Kristen...
Judge: 'Aggravating Factors'
Proven in Chauvin Trial
May 12, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Judge: 'Aggravating Factors' Proven in Chauvin Trial
Ruling clears the way for longer sentence
- Derek Chauvin is due to be sentenced June 25 for the murder of George Floyd—and the judge who presided over his trial has signaled that he is likely to go beyond the 12.5 years sentencing guidelines call for. Judge Peter Cahill ruled Wednesday that prosecutors had proven four...
More Legal Trouble for Cops
in George Floyd Case
May 7, 2021 9:21 AM CDT
More Legal Trouble for Cops in George Floyd Case
Federal grand jury indicts Derek Chauvin, 3 others on civil rights charges
- A federal grand jury has indicted the four former Minneapolis police officers involved in George Floyd’s arrest and death, accusing them of violating the Black man’s constitutional rights as he was restrained face-down on the pavement and gasping for air, according to indictments unsealed Friday. The three-count indictment...
Asks for New Trial
May 4, 2021 6:18 PM CDT
Derek Chauvin Asks for New Trial
Attorney cites alleged prosecutorial, jury misconduct
- Two weeks after Derek Chauvin was found guilty of murder and manslaughter in the death of George Floyd, he is seeking a new trial. Attorney Eric Nelson filed the request Tuesday, arguing that there was jury and prosecutorial misconduct in the trial of the former Minneapolis police officer, NBC reports....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.