Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Accountant Working Remotely
Fired for 'Time Theft'
Jan 13, 2023 1:45 PM CST
Accountant Working Remotely Fired for 'Time Theft'
Tribunal orders Canadian woman to repay her employer for 50 hours
- The experience of an accountant in Canada who failed to properly account for time she was paid to work at home might be a cautionary tale for other remote workers. A tribunal has ordered the British Columbia resident to repay her former employer almost $2,000 plus interest for "...
Disney CEO Tells Staff
to Come in 4 Days a Week
Jan 9, 2023 4:09 PM CST
Disney CEO Tells Staff to Come in 4 Days a Week
Employees on hybrid schedule should spend more time in the office, Iger says
- Since returning to the CEO job in November, Bob Iger has said he's looking for ways to energize the Walt Disney Co. On Monday, employees were told that will involve a change in their schedules. Those working a hybrid schedule will have to show up in person at the...
Yelp Rebuffs Hybrid 'Hell,'
Closes 3 of Its Offices
Jun 24, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
Yelp Rebuffs Hybrid 'Hell,' Closes 3 of Its Offices
Company makes bigger push toward remote work by closing NYC, Chicago, DC campuses
- Many employers are still resistant to telecommuting, even after two years of a pandemic during which distance work became more the rule than the exception. Yelp isn't one of them. The AP reports that the crowd-sourced reviews site will be closing its Chicago, New York City, and DC offices...
Elon Musk Takes
Rigid Stance on Remote Work
Jun 1, 2022 11:16 AM CDT
Elon Musk Takes Rigid Stance on Remote Work
Email posted to Twitter purportedly tells Tesla staff remote work only OK past 40-hour mark
- Elon Musk has made clear to his Tesla workforce that remote work is not acceptable. Nor is it "acceptble," as the subject line of an email apparently sent to Tesla employees Tuesday and later posted to Twitter made clear. The brief email explains that "anyone who wishes...
Here Are the
10 Best States
for Remote Workers
Apr 5, 2022 4:32 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best States for Remote Workers
The Garden State tops WalletHub's list
- During the pandemic, much of America got a taste of what it's like to be a full-time telecommuter. Now that many businesses have started to open back up, a good number of them are allowing workers to remain remote. To see which states are most conducive to this type...
Meta Execs Are Staying
a Long Way From the Office
Mar 24, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
Meta Execs Are Staying a Long Way From the Office
Analysts are split on the merits of having a scattered leadership team
- If Mark Zuckerberg and other top Meta execs were rank-and-file workers, they might get accused of taking the company's work-from-home policy a little too far. They have scattered far from Meta's Silicon Valley headquarters, with Zuckerberg spending a lot of time in Hawaii, Instagram head Adam Mosseri working...
One Country Just Made It a Lot
Nicer to Work From Home
Nov 8, 2021 1:46 PM CST
One Country Just Made It a Lot Nicer to Work From Home
A series of laws was passed Friday in Portugal
- It sounds like a pretty good set-up: You work from home, your company has to pay for any increase in your electricity or internet bills incurred by your home office, and your boss can't text after-hours. That's now not just the situation in Portugal, but the law....
Amazon Again Shifts
on Return to Offices
Oct 11, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Amazon Again Shifts on Return to Offices
Many workers can stay home indefinitely unless they're needed at the office, new policy says
: Amazon told tech and office workers Monday that many of them can keep working from home, a switch from the most recent edict that they'd have to come in at least three days a week starting in January. The new policy will be in effect indefinitely, an internal...
Employers Should Think Twice
About Remote Working
Jul 27, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Employers Should Think Twice About Remote Working
'It can drain morale and diminish collegiality,' writes the partner in a law firm that stayed open
- Much has been written about how the pandemic has upended work life, perhaps permanently . But while many employers have embraced the idea of remote working, not everybody is a fan. In a
New York Times
essay, one of the partners in a Houston law firm recounts how productivity tanked when...
Most FB Workers
for Perk That's
Made CEO 'Happier'
Jun 10, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Most FB Workers Now Eligible for Perk That's Made CEO 'Happier'
Company to allow most employees option to work remotely
- Businesses across America are starting to more fully reopen and transition back to in-person operations, and Facebook is no exception. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that the social media giant will be opening the bulk of its US offices to half capacity in September, with a full opening set for...
WV Will Pay
$12K to Move There
Apr 13, 2021 5:18 PM CDT
WV Will Pay Remote Workers $12K to Move There
West Virginia's governor says it's a chance to live in 'paradise'
- West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice says a new program offers remote workers "the freedom to live and work in paradise"—along with $12,000 cash. The state's tourism office is focusing on outdoor activities in its push to attract workers to the state, Business Insider reports. The...
Ford's Move Suggests
Work From Home
Will Outlast COVID
Mar 17, 2021 1:03 PM CDT
Ford's Move Suggests Work From Home Will Outlast COVID
30K told they can work from home indefinitely
- It's a question occupying the minds of millions of employees who have worked from home the past year: Will they still be allowed to work remotely—at least some days—once the pandemic has faded? On Wednesday, one of America's corporate titans, Ford Motor Co., supplied its own...
The US Cities That
May Soon Ditch
Mar 8, 2021 9:15 AM CST
The US Cities That Remote Workers May Soon Ditch
There are also metro areas that could benefit from the telecommuting trend
- With much of America now intimately familiar with telecommuting, a necessity born of the pandemic,
sees a "titanic shift" in the direction of remote work, even once all of the virus-related lockdowns are over and we head back into the office. And as people realize they can...
Keep One Big Perk
Feb 10, 2021 6:24 AM CST
Salesforce Will Keep One Big Perk After Pandemic
Software company will let most employees keep working from home after this is all over
- Telecommuting, work from home, working virtually, working remotely—whatever you call it, employees at San Francisco's largest private company are about to have the option to do it permanently, even after we've finally chased the pandemic away. Salesforce announced Tuesday that most of its workers will be permitted...
to Make a Move
Nov 29, 2020 12:25 PM CST
Hawaii Asks Remote Workers to Make a Move
Campaign touts low COVID-19 rates—and the views
- Software engineer Raymond Berger begins his workday at 5am, before the sun comes up over Hawaii. That's because the company he works for is still in New York City, five hours ahead of Maui, where he rents a home with a backyard near the beach. "It's a...
Company's New Corporate
HQ Is Already for Sale
Aug 16, 2020 3:40 PM CDT
Company's New Corporate HQ Is Already for Sale
Recreational Equipment Inc. needs the cash
- Recreational Equipment Inc. has a newly completed corporate headquarters in Seattle—and lo and behold, it's already for sale. The
Wall Street Journal
calls it yet another instance of a company selling off central offices to raise cash during the coronavirus pandemic. But REI, which sells outdoorsy stuff like...
Jul 25, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
For Some, Remote Work Has Become a 'Nightmare'
Companies see the downside of a system that looked great at first
- Tired of working remotely? Your employer might feel the same. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that after an initial burst of work-at-home productivity amid the coronavirus pandemic, "cracks are starting to emerge." Projects drag on; it's harder to hire, train, and integrate new people; some workers seem...
Has an Offer
in case you missed it
Jul 12, 2020 2:20 PM CDT
Barbados Has an Offer for Foreigners
Island creating yearlong work visa—to lure remote workers during pandemic
- If you've been working from home during the pandemic, you may feel lucky to have a job, but maybe not as lucky to be staring at the same four walls every day without much human interaction.
Conde Nast Traveler
reports on a possible remedy, if you're willing to...
Woman Says She Was
Fired After Kids Made
Noise During Calls
Jul 9, 2020 3:00 AM CDT
Woman Says She Was Fired After Kids Made Noise During Calls
Drisana Rios is suing for gender discrimination
- A California woman says she was fired for doing what millions of other Americans have been doing during the pandemic—looking after her children while working from home. Drisana Rios is suing insurance firm Hub International for gender discrimination, retaliation, and wrongful termination. The 35-year-old account executive, who has a...
New Influx of Whistleblower
Filings the 'Tip of the Iceberg'
in case you missed it
Jun 6, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
New Influx of Whistleblower Filings the 'Tip of the Iceberg'
Lawyers say uptick in complaints due to impact of COVID-19, people working from home
- While the coronavirus continues to wreak havoc on the economy, it's brought business to one particular group: lawyers for whistleblowers, who've been coming forward in increasing numbers since the pandemic hit. Per an SEC spokesman, the agency received 4,000 or so whistleblower complaints from the middle of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.