Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ahmaud Arbery's Killers
Get More Life Sentences
Aug 8, 2022 2:49 PM CDT
Ahmaud Arbery's Killers Get More Life Sentences
Father, son, and neighbor sentenced for federal hate crime
This story has been updated with new developments
. The white man who fatally shot Ahmaud Arbery after chasing the 25-year-old Black man in a Georgia neighborhood was sentenced Monday to life in prison for committing a federal hate crime. Travis McMichael, 37, was sentenced by US District Court Judge Lisa...
Ahmaud Arbery's Killers
Guilty in Hate Crimes Trial
Feb 22, 2022 9:53 AM CST
Ahmaud Arbery's Killers Guilty in Hate Crimes Trial
Federal charges followed earlier convictions in state court
(Updated with new details on the convictions.)
The three white men convicted of murder in Ahmaud Arbery’s fatal shooting were found guilty of federal hate crimes Tuesday for violating Arbery’s civil rights and targeting him because he was Black, per the AP . The jury also found...
Where Things Stand in
Next Ahmaud Arbery Trial
Feb 4, 2022 12:11 PM CST
Where Things Stand in Next Ahmaud Arbery Trial
After deals fall through, all three will stand trial on federal hate-crime charges, starting Monday
- The last week has seen a flurry of developments related to the upcoming federal trial of the three men already convicted in the murder of Ahmaud Arbery. But after much back-and-forth, we're right back where we started: Plea deals have fallen through, and all three men will stand trial...
Killer Will Stand
Feb 4, 2022 12:16 AM CST
Ahmaud Arbery Killer Will Stand Trial Again
Greg McMichael will change his plea on federal hate crime charge
- One of the men convicted of murder in the chase and fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery says he plans to stand trial for a second time in the killing rather than plead guilty to a federal hate crime, the AP reports. Greg McMichael reversed course late Thursday on a planned...
Judge Rejects Plea Deal
for Travis McMichael
Jan 31, 2022 6:40 PM CST
Judge Rejects Plea Deal for Travis McMichael
Victim Ahmaud Arbery's mother opposed father-and-son deal ahead of federal trial
: A federal judge has rejected the plea deal on hate crimes charges Travis McMichael reached with prosecutors. US District Judge Lisa Wood made the unusual move at a hearing Monday after protests from the family of Ahmaud Arbery, who said the deal to avoid a federal trial for their...
3 Life Sentences for Men
in Ahmaud Arbery Case
Jan 7, 2022 2:21 PM CST
3 Life Sentences for Men in Ahmaud Arbery Case
Father and son denied chance of parole, while neighbor must serve 30 years before possibility
The three men convicted of murdering Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia were sentenced to life in prison on Friday, reports the AP . Greg and Travis McMichael, the father and son who first began chasing Arbery, were denied even the chance of parole. Neighbor William “Roddie” Bryan, who joined and...
Sharpton: Arbery Verdict
Will Go Down in History
Nov 24, 2021 3:44 PM CST
Sharpton: Arbery Verdict Will Go Down in History
Mother says he will now 'rest in peace'
- Ahmaud Arbery's parents were among the many people praising the verdict after all three defendants in the case were found guilty of murder Wednesday. The 25-year-old Black man's mother said she did not expect the three white men to face justice after prosecutors last year argued that his...
Arbery Jury Makes Request
on 2nd Day of Deliberations
Nov 24, 2021 12:20 PM CST
Arbery Jury Makes Request on 2nd Day of Deliberations
They asked to see shooting video again, hear 911 call made by defendant
: The jury in the Ahmaud Arbery case continued its deliberations Wednesday and asked to watch two versions of the video of Travis McMichael shooting the 25-year-old Black man. The jury foreperson asked the judge if they could watch the original cellphone video and a version enhanced to reduce shadows...
Defense Lawyer's Remark on
Arbery's Toenails Spurs Outrage
Nov 23, 2021 6:47 AM CST
Defense Lawyer's Remark on Arbery's Toenails Spurs Outrage
'Beyond rude,' is how Arbery's mother characterized Laura Hogue's comment
- The trial over the shooting death of 25-year-old Ahmaud Arbery continues, and on Monday, one of the defense attorneys found herself taking heat for a comment she made about Arbery's appearance. Per 11Alive , Laura Hogue, who's representing Gregory McMichael, stood up during closing arguments and insisted that what...
Key to White Supremacists'
Lingo: the Guise of Humor
Nov 19, 2021 9:12 AM CST
Key to White Supremacists' Lingo: the Guise of Humor
Charlottesville trial includes testimony about the strategy
- The Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery trials aren't the only cases involving volatile race issues winding down at the moment. Jurors in Charlottesville, Virginia, begin deliberations Friday in a civil trial over the deadly violence that broke out at the Unite the Right rally in 2017, reports CNN . Details:...
Court Told Shotgun Blasts Left
Gaping Hole in Arbery's Chest
Nov 16, 2021 4:28 PM CST
Court Told Shotgun Blasts Left Gaping Hole in Arbery's Chest
Dr. Edmund Donoghue testifies as graphic autopsy photos are shown
- First responders would have been powerless to save Ahmaud Arbery, a forensic pathologist at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation testified Tuesday at the trial of the three men accused of his murder.
reports Dr. Edmund Donoghue described the bullet wounds Arbery suffered in detail, specifying injuries to his...
Defense Tries to Oust
Jesse Jackson From Courtoom
Nov 15, 2021 1:19 PM CST
Defense Tries to Oust Jesse Jackson From Courtoom
But judge in Ahmaud Arbery case allows him to stay
- The flap over "Black pastors" in the courtroom in the Ahmaud Arbery trial took another turn on Monday. Tensions flared when the Rev. Jesse Jackson sat in the back row of the courtroom between Arbery's parents, per the AP . Defense attorney Kevin Gough asked the judge to make...
Sorry for 'Black
Nov 12, 2021 10:55 AM CST
Attorney in Arbery Trial: Sorry for 'Black Pastors' Remark
Defense lawyer Kevin Gough apologizes to those who were 'inadvertently' offended
The defense attorney in the Ahmaud Arbery murder trial who told the judge he didn't want to see any more "Black pastors" in the courtroom is now offering a mea culpa. "My apologies to anyone who might have inadvertently been offended," Kevin Gough said, per...
Graphic Photos of
Nov 9, 2021 1:56 AM CST
'Squirming' as Graphic Photos of Ahmaud Arbery Are Shown
Jurors see closeup photos of his wounds
- Jurors were shown graphic, closeup police photos Monday of the gunshot wounds that killed Ahmaud Arbery, while the first officer to find the 25-year-old Black man bleeding in the road testified he did not try to render medical aid because it would not have been safe. Three white men are...
Judge in Ahmaud Arbery
Trial to Seat Jury With
11 White People
Nov 4, 2021 2:20 AM CDT
Judge in Ahmaud Arbery Trial to Seat Jury With 11 White People
Despite finding defense may have practiced 'intentional discrimination'
- The judge in the trial over the murder of Ahmaud Arbery, a Black man, will seat a jury consisting of 11 white members and one Black member. This despite the fact that Superior Court Judge Timothy Walmsley found, he said Wednesday, "that there appears to be intentional discrimination" on...
Ahmaud Arbery Trial
Has a Big Challenge Early
Oct 18, 2021 6:53 AM CDT
Ahmaud Arbery Trial Has a Big Challenge Early
Selecting a jury is expected to take weeks
- Hundreds of people were ordered to report for jury duty Monday in Georgia for what could be a long, laborious effort to find jurors to hear the trial of three white men charged with fatally shooting Ahmaud Arbery as he was running in their neighborhood, per the AP . The slaying...
Sep 2, 2021 5:50 PM CDT
Ex-Prosecutor Indicted in Arbery Case
Jackie Johnson also violated her oath, Georgia filing says
- A former prosecutor was indicted Thursday on charges of obstructing a police officer in the Georgia investigation of the fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery. Jackie Johnson, who was Brunswick Judicial Circuit district attorney at the time, also is charged with violating her oath of office, CNBC reports. One of the...
One Year After George Floyd
Death, a Mix of Views
May 25, 2021 11:19 AM CDT
One Year After George Floyd Death, a Mix of Views
'I think the verdict is still out on that,' says one observer of the prospects of real change
- Tuesday is the one-year anniversary of the death of George Floyd at the hands of police in Minneapolis, and as part of the observances, members of Floyd's family will visit President Biden at the White House, reports CNN . Others are weighing in on the changes over the past year....
Ahmaud Arbery Suspects
Hit With Federal Charges
Apr 28, 2021 5:25 PM CDT
Ahmaud Arbery Suspects Hit With Federal Charges
Georgia men accused of hate crime in death of Black jogger
- Three Georgia men awaiting trial on state charges in the death of Ahmaud Arbery are now facing federal charges as well. The Justice Department announced Wednesday that Travis McMichael; his father, Gregory McMichael; and William "Roddie" Bryan have been indicted by a federal grand jury on hate crime and...
Ahmaud Arbery Suspects
Want One Word Off Limits
Jan 4, 2021 10:05 AM CST
Ahmaud Arbery Suspects Want One Word Off Limits
They ask judge to prevent prosecutors from calling Arbery a 'victim' during trial
- When the trial of the father and son accused of murdering Ahmaud Arbery gets underway, the pair don't want jurors to hear one particular word in the courtroom: "victim." In a motion filed last week, lawyers for Gregory and Travis McMichael asked a judge to bar prosecutors...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Everybody's Talking About 'Quiet Quitting'
Captain at Kobe Bryant Crash Leaves Stand 3 Times
She Was Gardening Before She Was Killed by an Alligator
Actor Pearlman's Cause of Death Revealed
Rand Paul Brings New Attention to Espionage Act
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.