Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Relief Payments Result
in 'Surprising' Poverty Decline
Sep 14, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Relief Payments Result in 'Surprising' Poverty Decline
Official poverty rate rises, but 'supplemental' measure declines
- The share of Americans living in poverty rose slightly as the COVID-19 pandemic shook the economy last year, but massive relief payments pumped out by Congress eased hardship for many, the Census Bureau reported Tuesday.
The official poverty measure showed an increase of 1 percentage point in 2020,
Parents, Check Your
Accounts This Week
Jul 13, 2021 11:12 AM CDT
Parents, Check Your Accounts This Week
First of 6 monthly installments for enhanced child tax credit are due out Thursday
- If you have kids and fit the eligibility requirements, you could see your first monthly payment from the US Treasury this week. The first installment to 39 million families, comprising 65 million kids, are set to be disseminated on Thursday, either via direct deposit or check. Most families will automatically...
Starting July 15, a Boost to
Most Parents' Bank Accounts
May 17, 2021 11:19 AM CDT
Starting July 15, a Boost to Most Parents' Bank Accounts
Expanded tax credit under American Rescue Plan will deliver up to $300 per month per child
- Welcome news for parents of the majority of America's kids: Your bank account is about to get a monthly boost. As part of the expanded tax credit under the Biden administration's American Rescue Plan, households including 88% of the nation's children will start seeing monthly payments on...
COVID Relief Bill Might
Backfire in the Long Run
Mar 9, 2021 1:51 PM CST
COVID Relief Bill Might Backfire in the Long Run
Megan McArdle makes her case
- New COVID relief payments of $1,400 will be landing in Americans' bank accounts soon, but Megan McArdle makes the case in a
op-ed that the checks are a bad idea. She's all in favor of the government helping people and businesses in genuine need during the...
Mar 6, 2021 3:35 PM CST
Biden: Look for Payments This Month
President savors Senate victory on pandemic relief bill
- After the Senate passed his coronavirus relief package Saturday, President Biden told Americans they'll get their stimulus payments soon. "This plan will get checks out the door starting this month to the Americans that so desperately need the help," he said in a news conference at the...
'American Rescue Plan'
One Step Closer to Arrival
Feb 27, 2021 6:00 AM CST
'American Rescue Plan' One Step Closer to Arrival
House votes 219-212 to approve $1.9 trillion COVID relief bill, sends it to Senate
- A long-awaited COVID relief bill is now making its way to the US Senate after the House of Representatives approved the $1.9 trillion package early Saturday. CNN reports that the vote was 219-212, with no Republicans casting a "yea," and two Democrats joining their GOP colleagues in...
Do You Have $1,400
Coming Your Way, and When?
Jan 21, 2021 10:55 AM CST
Do You Have $1,400 Coming Your Way, and When?
CBS News suggests $1,400 checks may wait until March or April
- Now that Joe Biden is officially in the Oval Office , the work begins—and at the top of many Americans' minds is when they can expect stimulus checks to help them get through the pandemic. The president has a $1.9 trillion COVID relief proposal on deck, and contained in...
You Might Get $2K
Relief Check After All
Jan 7, 2021 11:51 AM CST
You Might Get $2K Relief Check After All
Schumer says it's No. 1 priority in Democrat-controlled Senate
- It got a little lost in the shuffle of Wednesday's chaos in DC, but the pair of Democratic Senate wins in Georgia means that Americans might get $2,000 in COVID relief checks after all. In this case, that would likely mean an additional payment of $1,400 on...
We May Be Having the
Wrong Debate on Relief Checks
Dec 29, 2020 12:37 PM CST
We May Be Having the Wrong Debate on Relief Checks
The real question is why rich people are getting them, too, writes Catherine Rampell
- The issue of whether Americans will get relief checks of $600 or $2,000 is now in the hands of the Senate, and the legislative jiu-jitsu already has begun. It's expected to play out over a few days, and how it will end up is anyone's guess at...
Sanders: I'll Filibuster
Over $2K Relief Checks
Dec 29, 2020 6:06 AM CST
Sanders: I'll Filibuster Over $2K Relief Checks
He wants vote on increasing the amount from $600, could keep senators from going home
- Whether Americans will get checks for $600 or $2,000 is now up to the Senate, and it looks like the next few days are going to be interesting ones in the chamber. Bernie Sanders on Monday threatened to filibuster unless the Senate votes quickly on the measure, reports the...
Attempt to Increase COVID
Relief Checks Fails in House
Dec 24, 2020 10:05 AM CST
Attempt to Increase COVID Relief Checks Fails in House
House Democrats side with Trump on bigger amount, but Republicans block measure
- So how much will Americans get in COVID relief payments, and when will they get it? Check back Monday. House Democrats and Republicans engaged in a quick battle of legislative maneuvers on Thursday that effectively punted the issue into next week. The recap: Earlier this week, Congress passed legislation that...
You Might Get
Dec 21, 2020 8:00 AM CST
You Might Get Your COVID Relief Check Next Week
Treasury's Mnuchin says they'll be delivered quickly
- The next round of COVID relief checks promised to Americans won't arrive in time for Christmas, but they won't be too far behind, either. Treasury chief Stephen Mnuchin told CNBC Monday that he expects a quick turnaround. "The good news is this is a very, very fast...
He Got His Gun
Nov 20, 2020 6:27 AM CST
Kyle Rittenhouse Explains How He Got His Gun
Accused Kenosha shooter talks to the 'Washington Post'
- Accused Kenosha shooter Kyle Rittenhouse isn't old enough to buy or own a gun—so, the Illinois 17-year-old tells the
in a new interview, an 18-year-old friend who lives in Kenosha, Wisconsin, bought it for him ... using economic stimulus funds. "I got my $1200 from the...
Austrians Cash In Stimulus
Checks From ... America?
Sep 10, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Austrians Cash In Stimulus Checks From ... America?
And they're not the only foreigners receiving US stimulus funds in error
- Austria isn't part of the United States of America (last time we checked), but over the past few months, some Austrians have received assistance reserved only for US citizens and residents. They've been cashing checks sent to them as part of the $2 trillion US stimulus package, even...
Landlord Text on
Apr 21, 2020 8:07 AM CDT
Man Felt 'Violated' After Landlord Text on Stimulus Check
Ore. man says property manager illegally accessed payment status via IRS site, asked for rent
- On April 15, Austin Goodrich received his stimulus check from the government. That same day, he got some odd texts from his property manager, per Business Insider . In messages documented by Joshua Browder, CEO of the DoNotPay legal chatbot, Goodrich's landlord asked him, "You got your stimulus, just...
Apr 18, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Man Checks Stimulus Money, Suddenly Has Over $8M
Charles Calvin knew something wasn't right
- A volunteer firefighter was a little surprised to see his $1,700 stimulus payment turn him into a multi-millionaire, CNN reports. "What in the world is going on, man?" says Charles Calvin, 45. "That doesn't seem right." When the Indiana resident took his MetaBank card to...
Popular on Newser
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
Her Photo Was Used for Story About 'Fat' Women. Now She's Suing
Trump at State AG Deposition: I Plead the Fifth
Cops Can't Find Mom, Kids Who Were Staying With Flash Star
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.