Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Doctor Who Hawked COVID
'Miracle Cure' Gets Jail Time
May 31, 2022 6:44 AM CDT
Doctor Who Hawked COVID 'Miracle Cure' Gets Jail Time
Jennings Ryan Staley of San Diego sentenced to 30 days over hydroxychloroquine scheme
- In the early days of the pandemic, a San Diego doctor offered a beacon of hope—more specifically what he called a "miracle cure" for COVID. Now, however, Dr. Jennings Ryan Staley is going to prison for 30 days over his purported remedy , reports Fox 5 . Staley attempted to...
An Unproven COVID Remedy
Is Making the Rounds
Aug 17, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
An Unproven COVID Remedy Is Making the Rounds
Extract of oleander has been pitched directly to President Trump
- You've heard of hydroxychloroquine . Now another unproven coronavirus remedy is generating headlines—oleandrin, the extract of the oleander plant. A report by Jonathan Swan of Axios says that a strong ally of the president, MyPillow founder Mike Lindell, arranged an Oval Office meeting between Trump and an exec with...
Gohmert Questions Whether
Wearing Mask Led to Virus
Jul 30, 2020 12:32 AM CDT
Gohmert Questions Whether Wearing Mask Led to Virus
As Nancy Pelosi announces new requirement
- Rep. Louie Gohmert opposed the idea of a mandate to wear masks on the House floor, then tested positive for COVID-19 himself —and now such a mandate has come to pass. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced Wednesday that masks are now required on the House floor, in the House...
Instagram Flags Madonna
Over Bogus Virus Video
Jul 29, 2020 8:54 AM CDT
Instagram Flags Madonna Over Bogus Virus Video
Instagram blurs video about hydroxychloroquine for 'false information'
- Madonna shared a coronavirus conspiracy theory on Instagram on Tuesday, quickly leading her account to get flagged for spreading "false information." The video—the same one Twitter removed from the accounts of President Trump and his son , Donald Trump, Jr., per
—showed Texas primary care...
Jul 28, 2020 10:25 AM CDT
Twitter Penalizes Trump Jr.
Account restricted after he posted a video about the coronavirus
- Another member of the Trump family has run afoul of Twitter over a controversial video about COVID-19. The site says it has restricted the feed of Donald Trump Jr. for 12 hours and accused him of violating its rules about sharing misinformation about the coronavirus, reports the
. The move...
Twitter Deletes Dicey Tweet
Shared by Trump on COVID
Jul 28, 2020 9:35 AM CDT
Twitter Deletes Dicey Tweet Shared by Trump on COVID
'There is a cure,' woman in video claims, referring to hydroxychloroquine
- President Trump had been striking a more sober tone about the coronavirus of late, but on Monday night he retweeted a video making so many controversial claims that Twitter deleted it, reports NBC News . "Tweets with the video are in violation of our COVID-19 misinformation policy," Twitter said...
'Is Certainly Working'
Jul 8, 2020 6:53 AM CDT
Bolsonaro Proclaims Hydroxychloroquine 'Is Certainly Working'
Jair Bolsonaro downs hydroxychloroquine in Facebook video to treat his COVID-19
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro says he's confident he'll swiftly recover from COVID-19 thanks to treatment with hydroxychloroquine, the anti-malaria drug that hasn't been proven effective against the coronavirus. Bolsonaro said he tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday after months of downplaying its severity while deaths mounted rapidly...
Florida Teen's COVID Death
Now Under Scrutiny
Jul 7, 2020 11:53 AM CDT
Florida Teen's COVID Death Now Under Scrutiny
Carsyn Leigh Davis was treated at home with hydroxychloroquine after big church function
- A 17-year-old girl who died of COVID-19 in Florida was initially treated at home with hydroxychloroquine, the unproven drug touted by President Trump, according to a medical examiner's report. Carsyn Leigh Davis, a child cancer survivor who struggled with health issues including obesity and an auto-immune disorder, developed a...
COVID-19 Drug Trial
Bites the Dust
Jul 4, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
COVID-19 Drug Trial Bites the Dust
The World Health Organization abandons testing of hydroxycholorquine
- The World Health Organization says it is ending a trial into whether anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine helps patients hospitalized with COVID-19, the AP reports. WHO said Saturday it has "accepted the recommendation" from the committee overseeing the trial to discontinue testing of hydroxychloroquine and lopinavir/ritonavir, a drug combination used to...
US Is Stuck With 63M Doses
Jun 18, 2020 3:46 AM CDT
US Is Stuck With 63M Doses of Hydroxychloroquine
Feds built huge stockpile before FDA withdrew emergency authorization
- The US now has more hydroxychloroquine than it knows what to do with following a series of studies that concluded the drug is an ineffective and potentially dangerous treatment for COVID-19. The federal government, which started stockpiling the drug in March, now has 63 million surplus doses of the drug,...
More Bad News
Jun 15, 2020 1:59 PM CDT
More Bad News for Hydroxychloroquine
FDA pulls the plug on its emergency use for COVID-19 patients
- The FDA is out with a clear new directive on the controversial drug hydroxychloroquine: stop using it on COVID-19 patients. The agency has concluded that the anti-malarial drug and the related chloroquine "are unlikely to produce an antiviral effect," reports Politico . "Nor is it reasonable to believe...
A Second Major COVID
Study Is Retracted
Jun 5, 2020 9:54 AM CDT
A Second Major COVID Study Is Retracted
Big concerns raised over database used in both
- First, the esteemed
medical journal retracted a major study on Thursday about hydroxychloroquine. Then, the
New England Journal of Medicine
did the same with another big study related to COVID-19 and blood pressure drugs. Both retractions have a common denominator: They relied on data supplied by a US analytics...
Jun 4, 2020 4:20 PM CDT
Researchers Retract Study Warning About Chloroquine
Authors say they can't be sure of their data on COVID-19 results
- The authors of a well-publicized study that indicated taking chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine as COVID-19 treatments could be unsafe no longer stand behind their work. The medical journal the
said the authors asked that their paper be retracted, Stat News reports. "We can no longer vouch for the veracity...
Here's What Trump's
Latest Physical Reveals
Jun 4, 2020 12:14 AM CDT
Here's What Trump's Latest Physical Reveals
He suffered no ill effects from his time on hydroxychloroquine, for one thing
- President Trump experienced no side effects from his two weeks on hydroxychloroquine. That little tidbit comes courtesy of his annual physical, a summary of which was released by the White House Wednesday. Per a memo from the president's physician cited by CNN , "there were no findings of significance...
It Was a Major COVID Study.
Now, Something Fishy?
Jun 3, 2020 11:28 AM CDT
It Was a Major COVID Study. Now, Something Fishy?
The 'Guardian' calls into question the data supplied by Surgisphere
- The US-based company Surgisphere touts that it aggregates and analyzes health records from hospitals around the world—including, apparently, significant amounts of coronavirus-related data. This though it apparently has "a science fiction writer and an adult-content model" on its small roster of employees. So reports the
, which dug...
Salvadoran President Says
'Most Leaders' Take Drug
May 28, 2020 8:38 AM CDT
Salvadoran President Says 'Most Leaders' Take Drug
'We have been advised to take' hydroxychloroquine, Nayib Bukele says
- El Salvador's president says he's taking hydroxychloroquine—and says most of the world's other leaders are doing the same. "I use it as a prophylaxis. President Trump uses it as a prophylaxis. Most of the world's leaders use it as a prophylaxis," Nayib Bukele...
France: This 'Should Not Be
Prescribed' for COVID Patients
May 27, 2020 9:55 AM CDT
France: This 'Should Not Be Prescribed' for COVID Patients
Country bans use of hydroxychloroquine
- Another negative headline for hydroxychloroquine: France has banned the use of it as a coronavirus treatment. Politico lays out the timeline leading to the move. After the
on Friday published the results of a worldwide study suggesting that the anti-malaria drug doesn't help patients and may well...
May 25, 2020 1:34 PM CDT
WHO Suspends Hydroxychloroquine Trial
Agency says it will 'err on the side of caution'
- The World Health Organization says it has decided to "err on the side of caution" and suspend a trial of hydroxychloroquine as a coronavirus treatment. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus cited a study released last week that found COVID-19 patients who had taken the drug were more likely to...
Trump: My Drug
Regimen Has Changed
May 24, 2020 4:45 PM CDT
Trump: My Drug Regimen Has Changed
The president talks about his hydroxychloroquine use in a wide-ranging interview
- President Trump has apparently said goodbye to hydroxychloroquine. Appearing on the Sinclair Broadcast Group program
Full Measure with Sharyl Attkisson
, Trump said his regimen on the controversial drug is complete: "Finished, just finished," he said in the interview that aired Sunday, per
. "And by the...
Big Hydroxychloroquine Study
Sees No Benefit on COVID
May 22, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
Big Hydroxychloroquine Study Sees No Benefit on COVID
Researchers call for more definitive randomized trials next
- A new, worldwide study suggests that hydroxychloroquine, the anti-malaria drug that President Trump said he's taking to keep from contracting the coronavirus, doesn't help patients and may well harm them. Researchers followed the cases of almost 15,000 patients, given hydroxychloroquine or the similar chloroquine, and compared their...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
20-Year-Old Makes $110M on Bed Bath & Beyond Stock
Her Alaskan Election Surprise May Lead to History
Trump's Former Money Guy Pleads Guilty, Heads to Prison
Court in India Sets Free Men Who Raped Woman
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.