Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Biden Wears, Then Removes
Mask at White House Ceremony
Sep 5, 2023 6:41 PM CDT
Biden Wears, Then Removes Mask at White House Ceremony
President tested negative for COVID Tuesday
- President Biden turned up in a mask for the first time in months on Tuesday, a day after his wife tested positive for COVID-19. But the president quickly ditched it during a ceremony honoring an 81-year-old Vietnam veteran, and the two unmasked octogenarians shared a hearty handshake before they parted....
In-N-Out Burger to Workers:
No Masks Without Doc's Note
Jul 19, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
In-N-Out Burger to Workers: No Masks Without Doc's Note
Chain's new guidelines, however, won't apply in California, where most stores are located
- In-N-Out Burger's latest controversial COVID-adjacent move involves face masks, which employees of the chain will soon be barred from wearing in five states, unless they have a doctor's note. A company memo leaked on Twitter says the new mask guidelines are meant to "emphasize the importance of...
Doctor Who Claimed
Face Masks Were
Harmful Gets Jail Time
Jan 3, 2023 10:05 AM CST
Doctor Who Claimed Face Masks Were Harmful Gets Jail Time
Physician in Germany hit with nearly 3-year prison sentence after issuing 4K-plus mask exemptions
- A German doctor has been sentenced to two years and nine months in prison for illegally issuing exemptions from wearing masks during the coronavirus pandemic for more than 4,000 people. Public broadcaster SWR reported that a regional court in the southwestern town of Weinheim convicted the doctor late Monday...
Ex-Trooper Goes Missing
Oct 7, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Ex-Trooper Goes Missing After Sentencing
Harvey Briggs was sentenced to probation for pulling mask off Tennessee protester
- A former Tennessee state trooper has gone missing after he was sentenced for a misdemeanor assault conviction on a charge that he pulled the face mask off a protester during the COVID-19 pandemic in August 2020. In a Facebook post Monday, Columbia police said 54-year-old Harvey Briggs was last seen...
China Team's Masks
Cause an Uproar
Aug 26, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
China Team's Masks Cause an Uproar
Chinese Volleyball Association apologizes after flood of criticism on social media
- The women's volleyball team of China defeated Iran Thursday during an international tournament, which is not in itself a surprise. The unusual reason the match is making headlines? The Chinese team played the first set while wearing N95 masks, which set off a brouhaha on Chinese social media when...
Lawsuit Faults USPS Over
Seizure of BLM Masks
Jun 2, 2022 12:11 PM CDT
Lawsuit Faults USPS Over Seizure of BLM Masks
'That's a scary reality that we live in,' says Movement Ink owner René Quiñonez
- The US Postal Service under the Trump administration is accused of improperly seizing packages of face masks with slogans in support of Black Lives Matter in a lawsuit brought by a California screen printer. "The fact that our government can just seize private property—either because of just general...
CDC Gives Go-Ahead
to Appeal of Mask Ruling
Apr 20, 2022 5:50 PM CDT
CDC Gives Go-Ahead to Appeal of Mask Ruling
Mandate still is needed for public travel, agency says
: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has made its decision about a federal judge's ruling against mask mandates for public transit, including airplanes. "It is CDC's continuing assessment that at this time an order requiring masking in the indoor transportation corridor remains necessary for the...
Travel Mask Mandate
Extended Another 15 Days
Apr 13, 2022 2:00 PM CDT
Travel Mask Mandate Extended Another 15 Days
CDC says it needs more time to assess impact of BA.2 subvariant
- The nationwide mask mandate on planes, trains, and other public transportation has been extended yet again. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday that the mandate, which had been due to expire April 18, will be extended for at least another 15 days, meaning travelers will be required...
Florida, 20 Other States
Challenge Plane Mask Rule
Mar 29, 2022 4:58 PM CDT
Florida, 20 Other States Challenge Plane Mask Rule
CDC mandate is set to expire April 18
- Florida and 20 other states sued Tuesday to halt the federal government's requirement that people wear masks on planes, trains, ferries, and other public transportation amid the coronavirus pandemic. The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Tampa, Florida, contends that the mask mandate exceeds the authority of the Centers...
Flyers, Riders of Trains, Buses
Can't Take Masks Off Yet
Mar 10, 2022 11:48 AM CST
Flyers, Riders of Trains, Buses Can't Take Masks Off Yet
CDC extends mandate until April 18 as it examines policies
- The CDC is developing guidance that will ease the nationwide mask mandate on airplanes, buses, and other mass transit next month, but the existing face-covering requirement will be extended through April 18, per the AP . The requirement, which is enforced by the Transportation Security Administration, had been set to expire...
Flight From Canada
to Mexico Makes
Unplanned Stop in Texas
Mar 4, 2022 9:41 AM CST
Flight From Canada to Mexico Makes Unplanned Stop in Texas
Aeromexico flight had to dump 3 unruly passengers after a reportedly drunken face-mask tiff
- Houston, we have a problem. Rather, three of them, and they were all booted from an Aeromexico flight that had to be diverted to the Texas city after a reportedly drunken confrontation over face masks. According to an incident report from the Houston Police Department cited by CNN , Aeromexico Flight...
DeSantis Tells Students to
Remove 'Ridiculous' Masks
Mar 3, 2022 6:50 AM CST
DeSantis Tells Students to Remove 'Ridiculous' Masks
'We’ve gotta stop with this COVID theater,' Florida governor told them
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis was not happy to see students wearing masks when he arrived at the podium for a press conference in Tampa Wednesday. "You do not have to wear those masks," DeSantis told students lined up behind him, per
. "Please take them off....
NY Is Dumping
2 Big COVID Mandates
Feb 28, 2022 4:03 AM CST
NY Is Dumping 2 Big COVID Mandates
The state is lifting the mask mandate for schools; NYC likely lifting a vaccine mandate
- New York's statewide masking requirement in schools will be lifted by March 2, Gov. Kathy Hochul said Sunday, citing a dramatic drop in COVID-19 infections and new federal guidelines. Hours later, New York City Mayor Eric Adams said he's considering lifting vaccine mandates on restaurants, bars, and theaters...
Just in Time for SOTU,
Capitol Ditches Mask Mandate
Feb 28, 2022 1:50 AM CST
Just in Time for SOTU, Capitol Ditches Mask Mandate
New CDC guidance eased the way for the move
- Face coverings are now optional for President Biden's State of the Union address Tuesday, as Congress is lifting its mask requirement on the House floor after federal regulators eased guidelines last week in a rethinking of the nation's strategy to adapt to living with a more manageable COVID-19....
CDC: Most People
Don't Need Masks
Feb 25, 2022 4:12 PM CST
CDC: Most People Don't Need Masks
Recommendation now applies only to high-risk people in high-spread places
- Most people in the US can drop the masks, the Center for Disease Control has decided in a major pandemic shift. A change in metrics means wearing a mask to prevent the spread of the coronavirus now is recommended for less than a third of the population, the agency said...
'Unacceptable Behavior' Shuts
Kids Museum for 10 Days
Jan 28, 2022 8:44 AM CST
'Unacceptable Behavior' Shuts Kids Museum for 10 Days
Anti-mask patrons were 'inappropriately directing their anger' toward museum staff
- If you're a Denverite who'd planned on taking the kids to the local children's museum over the weekend, you'll have to wait. NPR reports the Children's Museum of Denver has closed its doors for 10 days after angry patrons harassed staff over its mask policy....
Over Face Masks
Lead to Charges
Jan 22, 2022 8:15 AM CST
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
Amelia King at Thursday school board meeting in Va.: 'I will bring every single gun loaded'
- A Virginia mom who insists she wasn't trying to threaten anyone with her remarks at a local school board meeting this week has been charged. CBS News reports that on Thursday, the board for Page County Schools convened a special meeting to vote on Gov. Glenn Youngkin's recent...
2 SCOTUS Justices Issue
Unusual Joint Statement
Jan 19, 2022 4:48 PM CST
2 SCOTUS Justices Issue Unusual Joint Statement
Gorsuch, Sotomayor say they're not feuding over mask-wearing
- Supreme Court Justices Neil Gorsuch and Sonia Sotomayor say that while they don't always agree on the law, they're not feuding over mask-wearing. The Donald Trump appointee and the Barack Obama appointee issued an unusual joint statement Wednesday in response to an NPR story that said Sotomayor had...
to a Maskless
Jan 18, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Focus Returns to a Maskless Justice Gorsuch
He's only justice to go without one, and critics say it's insensitive to Sonia Sotomayor
- In a story about relations between justices on the Supreme Court Tuesday, veteran NPR reporter Nina Totenberg called attention to an issue that's been percolating for a while—Neil Gorsuch's decision not to wear a mask. Chief Justice John Roberts has asked all the justices to wear one...
Jan 14, 2022 5:40 PM CST
CDC Adjusts Mask Advice
Agency decides there are enough N95 and KN95s for everyone
- It's more of a guideline than a rule, but official mask guidance was updated late Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Americans "may choose" to wear N95 and KN95 masks because they do best in blocking coronavirus infection, NBC reports. Those are the masks worn...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.