Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Stuck Out His
Arm to Get Vaxxed.
It Was 'Cold and Gummy'
Dec 4, 2021 9:15 AM CST
He Stuck Out His Arm to Get Vaxxed. It Was 'Cold and Gummy'
Dentist in Italy may face criminal charges for presenting phony silicone limb for COVID shot
- A dentist in Italy faces possible criminal charges after trying to receive a coronavirus vaccine in a fake arm made of silicone. Filippa Bua, a nurse in the northern city of Biella, said she could tell right away that something was off when a man presented the phony limb for...
Strategy May Not
Change for Omicron
Dec 3, 2021 4:45 PM CST
Strategy May Not Change for Omicron
WHO official says target should remain the delta variant
- Dr. Sikhulile Moyo was analyzing COVID-19 samples in his lab in Botswana last week when he noticed they looked startlingly different from others. Within days, the world was ablaze with the news that the coronavirus had a new variant of concern—one that appears to be driving a dramatic surge...
Most Vaccines Do
the Job as Boosters
Dec 3, 2021 2:47 PM CST
Most Vaccines Do the Job as Boosters
Research shows mixing and matching brands works
- New research backs up the advice often given to everyone who's been vaccinated against the coronavirus to get a booster—any booster. A British study compared the effectiveness of seven brands of coronavirus vaccines administered as booster shots to 2,878 people who'd already had two doses of...
Will Be Barred From Venues
Dec 2, 2021 4:45 PM CST
Germany's Unvaccinated Will Be Barred From Venues
Merkel says hospitals could become overrun with COVID-19 cases
- Unvaccinated people across Germany will soon be excluded from nonessential stores, restaurants, and sports and cultural venues, Chancellor Angela Merkel announced Thursday, and parliament will consider a general vaccine mandate as part of efforts to curb coronavirus infections. Merkel announced the measures after a meeting with federal and state leaders,...
In Case of Surgeon With
Omicron, Cause for Optimism
Dec 2, 2021 6:56 AM CST
In Case of Surgeon With Omicron, Cause for Optimism
So far, just one of his many contacts has also tested positive
- Dr. Elad Maor returned to Israel from a cardiology conference in London last week, thrice testing negative for COVID-19 before leaving the UK and after arriving back home. So he worked as usual, attending a hospital staff meeting, seeing patients, attending another cardiology conference, eating with colleagues, visiting with relatives,...
BioNTech Founder: Omicron
Unlikely to Cause Severe Cases
Nov 30, 2021 11:36 AM CST
BioNTech Founder: Omicron Unlikely to Cause Severe Cases
Ugur Sahin says vaccinated people should have protection against new variant
- The seesawing of sentiment on the omicron variant continues. The co-founder of BioNTech, the company that partnered with Pfizer on a COVID vaccine, has weighed in with comments that are relatively optimistic. Ugur Sahin tells the
Wall Street Journal
that the company's existing vaccine should prevent serious illness among...
Nov 29, 2021 6:07 PM CST
CDC Strengthens Booster Advice
Agency now says everyone over 18 who is eligible should get another shot
- While much is unknown about the new omicron COVID variant—including how effective existing vaccines are against it—the CDC is urging people not to take any chances. The agency strengthened its advice Monday to say that people over 18 should get a booster shot,
New York Times
Nov 29, 2021 2:16 PM CST
New Theme in Omicron Coverage: Missed Promises
Wealthier nations aren't meeting pledges to supply vaccine to developing countries
- Stories about the emergence of the Omicron variant frequently point to the same stat: Only about 6% of Africa, where it was first detected, is vaccinated against the coronavirus. As a result, critics are pointing fingers at wealthy nations for failing to fulfill promises to get vaccines to developing countries:...
This Is Merriam-Webster's
Word of the Year
Nov 29, 2021 1:36 AM CST
This Is Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year
'Vaccine' wins out for 2021
- With an expanded definition to reflect the times, Merriam-Webster has declared an omnipresent truth as its 2021 word of the year: vaccine. “This was a word that was extremely high in our data every single day in 2021,” Peter Sokolowski, Merriam-Webster's editor-at-large, told the AP ahead of...
New Variant Found
in More Countries
Nov 27, 2021 5:15 PM CST
New Variant Found in More Countries
Fauci says it wouldn't surprise him to learn the omicron strain is in the US
- Germany and Italy reported confirmed cases of the omicron variant of the coronavirus on Saturday. The UK already had said two people there have the new strain. The two German cases involved travelers in Munich who had arrived from Cape Town, CNN reports, while the patient in Italy had come...
on Third Shots
but Not More
Nov 25, 2021 3:40 PM CST
France Decides on Third Shots but Not More Restrictions
As cases surge, officials cut gap between second and third shots to 5 months
- France launched a plan Thursday to give COVID-19 booster shots to all adults, as it opted against a further lockdown or curfew to help combat an uptick in infections in the country. Coronavirus infections have jumped in France over the past few days, with daily new cases rising above the...
Variant Worries South Africa
Nov 25, 2021 1:55 PM CST
Variant Worries South Africa
Cases are surging, but scientists don't know yet how many were caused by the new strain
- A new coronavirus variant has been detected in South Africa that scientists say is a concern because of its high number of mutations and rapid spread among young people in Gauteng, the country's most populous province, Health Minister Joe Phaahla announced Thursday. The coronavirus evolves as it spreads, the...
Nov 24, 2021 5:55 PM CST
Putin Takes Nasal Spray After Booster
Russia deals with surging COVID-19 cases and vaccine hesitancy
- President Vladimir Putin said Wednesday he has taken an experimental nasal vaccine against the coronavirus, three days after he received his booster shot. Russia is facing its worst surge of infections and deaths since the pandemic began and is struggling to overcome widespread vaccine hesitancy, the AP reports. Putin was...
After 30 Years
Due to Vaccine
Nov 24, 2021 2:42 AM CST
After 30 Years on
, He's Out Due to Vaccine Mandate
Steve Burton refused to get COVID-19 vaccine
- Steve Burton has been playing Jason Morgan on
since 1991. But no longer: The actor has been fired from the ABC soap opera for refusing to get vaccinated against COVID-19,
reports. Burton made the announcement himself on Instagram in a video including anti-vaccine rhetoric, and the show...
Thousands in LA Schools
May Have to Enroll Elsewhere
Nov 23, 2021 1:50 PM CST
Thousands in LA Schools May Have to Enroll Elsewhere
44K students haven't proven they've had COVID vaccine, and mandate deadline looms
- In the Los Angeles Unified School District, the second-biggest school district in the US, nearly 80% of students look set to comply with its mandate requiring students ages 12 and older to be vaccinated against COVID by Jan. 10, per district officials. On the flip side, that still leaves about...
Everyone 18 and
Over Is Eligible
Nov 19, 2021 5:51 PM CST
CDC Makes Boosters Simple: Everyone 18 and Over Is Eligible
Walensky approves vaccine recommendation from independent experts
- The final approval for administering coronavirus vaccine booster shots to everyone 18 and older was granted Friday evening, when the CDC director signed off on the idea. In doing so, Rochelle Walensky accepted the unanimous recommendations from independent experts, the
reports. "Based on the compelling evidence, all...
FDA Wants FOI Request on
Vaccine to Wait—for 55 Years
Nov 19, 2021 3:35 PM CST
FDA Wants FOI Request on Vaccine to Wait—for 55 Years
Experts want to see information used in approving Pfizer's product
- The experts who have filed a Freedom of Information request to see government data on the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine might have to hand the issue down to the next generation—at least—of scientists and professors. The Food and Drug Administration has asked a judge to not force the documents'...
Kids 5-11 Getting Vaccinated
3 Times Faster Than Adults Did
Nov 18, 2021 4:04 AM CST
Kids 5-11 Getting Vaccinated 3 Times Faster Than Adults Did
White House says 10% of kids now have had shots
- The White House says about 10% of eligible kids aged 5 to 11 have received a dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine since its approval for their age group two weeks ago. At least 2.6 million kids have received a shot, White House COVID-19 coordinator Jeff Zients said Wednesday,...
NYC to Welcome Back
Vaccinated NYE Revelers
Nov 16, 2021 7:38 PM CST
NYC to Welcome Back Vaccinated NYE Revelers
It'll be 'further evidence to the world that we are 100% back,' mayor says
- Two years after an unsuspecting crowd in New York City welcomed 2020, the Times Square ball drop will return to something approaching normal—at least for the vaccinated. Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday that crowds will be welcomed back for a " big, strong, full strength" New Year's...
Doctor Against Vax Mandates
Has Her Privileges Yanked
Nov 15, 2021 8:52 AM CST
Doctor Against Vax Mandates Has Her Privileges Yanked
Houston Methodist says Dr. Mary Bowden has spread 'dangerous misinformation' on COVID
- A Texas hospital has suspended the privileges of one of its doctors for airing her "dangerous" views on the coronavirus vaccine. Per KTRK , Houston Methodist announced Friday evening it had yanked privileges for ear, nose, and throat specialist Dr. Mary Bowden, who the hospital says had been "using...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Mom's Text to Suspected Shooter: 'Ethan Don't Do It'
Mom's Text to Suspected Shooter: 'Ethan Don't Do It'
Plumber Finds Cash Stashed Behind Megachurch Wall
Buttigieg, Harris, and the Elephant in the Room
13-Year-Old Killed Sister With Homemade Gun: Cops
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.