Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Reworked COVID Boosters
Are Ready for Arms: CDC
Sep 1, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Reworked COVID Boosters Are Ready for Arms: CDC
Agency sets minimum ages and recommends wait periods
- The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday recommended Americans receive updated coronavirus vaccine booster shots designed to combat omicron variants. "This recommendation followed a comprehensive scientific evaluation and robust scientific discussion," Dr. Rochelle Walensky said in a statement. "If you are eligible,...
Coming Soon to Americans'
Arms: a New Bivalent Booster
Aug 31, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Coming Soon to Americans' Arms: a New Bivalent Booster
This one also targets omicron versions BA.4 and BA.5
- The US on Wednesday authorized its first update to COVID-19 vaccines, booster doses that target today's most common omicron strain. Shots could begin within days. The move by the FDA tweaks the recipe of shots made by Pfizer and rival Moderna. Until now, COVID-19 vaccines have targeted the original...
They Claimed 'New World Order'
on COVID; Judge Hit Them Hard
Aug 31, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
They Claimed 'New World Order' on COVID; Judge Hit Them Hard
Anti-vaxxers fueled by conspiracy theories must pay Aussie federal, state gov'ts $150K in legal fees
- Every Australian state except for one, as well as one territory and the nation's federal government, is set to recoup tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees after a federal judge ruled against an anti-vaxxer group, saying the members had failed to prove their claims that COVID mandates...
Moderna Sues Pfizer
Over COVID Vaccine
Aug 26, 2022 8:49 AM CDT
Moderna Sues Pfizer Over COVID Vaccine
Company sues rival, alleging patent infringement on mRNA technology
- The biggest names in COVID vaccines are now embroiled in a legal fight. Moderna sued Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech on Friday, alleging patent infringement over the technology used to make the COVID shots, reports the Verge . Moderna accused its rivals of essentially stealing the mRNA technology it developed...
Man Who Threatened Doctor
Over Vaccines Gets 6 Months
Aug 25, 2022 5:06 AM CDT
Man Who Threatened Doctor Over Vaccines Gets 6 Months
Texas man referenced his '12-gauge' in message to COVID vaccine advocate Dr. Leana Wen
: A Texas man who who threatened a prominent Maryland doctor over her COVID vaccine advocacy has been sentenced to six months in federal prison. Scott Eli Harris, 52, pleaded guilty in February to threatening former Baltimore health commissioner Dr. Leana Wen. His message to her included racist remarks. "...
Critics Fault Facebook Move
on RFK Jr.'s Group: 'Too Late'
Aug 19, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Critics Fault Facebook Move on RFK Jr.'s Group: 'Too Late'
Children's Health Defense anti-vax nonprofit also booted off Instagram
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has already been personally kicked off of Instagram. Now the social media platform—along with Facebook, also owned by Meta—has booted Kennedy's nonprofit, too, for repeatedly breaching rules on spreading misinformation about COVID-19, vaccines, and other pandemic health measures. The two platforms this week...
Among America's Youngest,
a COVID Vaccine 'Logjam'
Aug 8, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Among America's Youngest, a COVID Vaccine 'Logjam'
Just 4% to 5% of kids have gotten their shots; pediatricians are now trying to break the 'logjam'
- Nearly two months ago, the CDC recommended that all kids from 6 months old up to 5 years—more than 17 million children across the nation—get vaccinated against COVID-19, guidance echoed by the American Medical Association . But since June 18, when the CDC gave the official OK for children...
Largest Study Yet Looks at
Period Changes After Vaccine
Jul 23, 2022 11:03 AM CDT
Largest Study Yet Looks at Period Changes After Vaccine
Many survey respondents described change in flow; others saw breakthrough bleeding
- More than half of survey respondents with regular periods before receiving a COVID-19 vaccine described changes in their menstrual cycle afterward. The largest study on the issue to date found that 44% of 16,000 respondents with regular periods before vaccination experienced no change in their menstrual cycle afterward, per...
10 Unvaccinated Royals
Can't Go to Toronto
Jul 14, 2022 5:50 PM CDT
10 Unvaccinated Royals Can't Go to Toronto
Team calls up minor leaguers for trip to Canada, which requires the shots for arrivals
- The Kansas City Royals expect to have a full roster of players for their four-game series in Toronto, but they won't all be the major leaguers who played for the team Wednesday. Ten players won't be making the trip because they haven't been vaccinated against COVID-19,
FDA Clears 4th
COVID Vaccine Option
Jul 13, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
FDA Clears 4th COVID Vaccine Option
Novavax shot has been approved for adults
: The US is getting another COVID-19 vaccine choice. The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday cleared Novavax shots for adults. Novavax makes a more traditional type of shot than the three other COVID-19 vaccines available for use in the US and the company hopes the protein-based vaccine will become...
With No Takers
for 13.6M Doses,
in the Trash
Jul 6, 2022 2:40 PM CDT
With No Takers for 13.6M Doses, in the Trash They Go
Canada to dump expired AstraZeneca vaccines after they weren't accepted at home or abroad
- Canada is going to throw out about 13.6 million doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine because it couldn't find any takers for them either at home or abroad, per the AP . Canada signed a contract with AstraZeneca in 2020 to get 20 million doses of its vaccine, and...
Have Shots to
Play in US Open
Jun 25, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
Djokovic Won't Have Shots to Play in US Open
That decision would make Wimbledon the defending champion's last Grand Slam tournament of year
- Novak Djokovic knows that, as things stand now, Wimbledon will be his last Grand Slam tournament of 2022, because he will not be able to play in the US Open—he has not received any COVID-19 shots and can't enter the US as an unvaccinated foreigner. "That,"...
COVID Vaccines Saved
Almost 20M Lives in First Year
Jun 24, 2022 2:47 AM CDT
COVID Vaccines Saved Almost 20M Lives in First Year
That includes 1.9M in the US, researchers say
- Nearly 20 million lives were saved by COVID-19 vaccines during their first year, but even more deaths could have been prevented if international targets for the shots had been reached, researchers reported Thursday. On Dec. 8, 2020, a retired shop clerk in England received the first shot in what would...
Jun 18, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
CDC Agrees: Under-5 Shots Can Begin
Biden calls final approval of COVID vaccine for young children a relief
: "For parents all over the country, this is a day of relief and celebration," President Biden said in a statement Saturday after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention approved COVID vaccinations for children as young as 6 months old. Director Rochelle Walensky gave the final OK...
FDA Advisers Endorse
Vaccines Starting at 6 Months
Jun 15, 2022 6:30 PM CDT
FDA Advisers Endorse Vaccines Starting at 6 Months
Age group is the only one without access to COVID vaccines in US
- COVID-19 shots for US infants, toddlers, and preschoolers moved a step closer to reality on Wednesday. The Food and Drug Administration's vaccine advisers gave a thumbs-up to vaccines from Moderna and Pfizer for the littlest kids. The outside experts voted unanimously that the benefits of the shots outweigh any...
Unvaccinated Andrew Giuliani
Barred From In-Person Debate
Jun 13, 2022 5:03 PM CDT
Unvaccinated Andrew Giuliani Barred From In-Person Debate
TV station won't allow candidate for governor in studio
- Andrew Giuliani, a first-time candidate for public office, will not be allowed into a TV studio to join the opening Republican debate in the New York governor's race on Monday because he's not vaccinated against COVID-19. Giuliani said WCBS-TV told him Sunday he'll be barred unless he...
Pfizer Shots for
Kids Under 5
Jun 13, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
FDA Posts Analysis of Pfizer Shots for Kids Under 5
Says the kid-sized dose appears to be safe and effective
The FDA on Sunday posted its analysis of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine for children under age 5, announcing that the kid-sized doses do appear to be safe and effective. The agency posted a similar analysis of Moderna's vaccine for the youngest age group last week. Next up: Wednesday'...
Pfizer Offers Update on
Shots for Kids Under 5
May 23, 2022 8:31 AM CDT
Pfizer Offers Update on Shots for Kids Under 5
Preliminary data suggest 3 shots offer strong protection for the youngest patients
- Three doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine offer strong protection for children younger than 5, the company announced Monday. Pfizer plans to give the data to US regulators later this week in a step toward letting the littlest kids get the shots. The news comes after months of anxious waiting...
Get a Booster
May 19, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
CDC: Children 5-11 Should Get a Booster
Rise in coronavirus cases prompts advisers' decision
This file has been updated throughout with the CDC's decision.
Children ages 5 to 11 should get a booster dose of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine, the Centers for Disease Control announced Thursday. An advisory panel had made the recommendation earlier in the day. The move opens a third...
Shows After Test
May 18, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Clapton Cancels Shows After Test
Star contracts COVID after blaming ailments on vaccine
- Eric Clapton has postponed a couple of concerts planned for Zurich and Milan this week after contracting COVID-19. A Facebook post said the 77-year-old rock star tested positive after a performance at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Clapton has had AstraZeneca shots,
reports, though he's criticized the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Police Link 2 More Shootings to Possible California Serial Killer
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.