Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Neanderthal Genes Suspected
in Severe COVID Cases
Sep 22, 2023 11:45 AM CDT
Neanderthal Genes Suspected in Severe COVID Cases
Study looks at a hard-hit city in Italy
- Individuals who suffer a severe COVID-19 infection may perhaps blame genes inherited from our cousins the Neanderthals. A new study focused on the northern Italian city of Bergamo, an early epicenter found to have one of the world's highest COVID-19 death rates, links a set of DNA variants, or...
Are Coming Back
Sep 21, 2023 12:22 AM CDT
Free At-Home COVID Tests Are Coming Back
Government will once again offer 4 per household
- With COVID hospitalizations back on the rise and experts warning about a possible winter surge, the federal government is once again offering free at-home tests that people can order starting next week. Four free testing kits will be mailed per household, Politico reports. The government had previously distributed COVID tests...
Don't Get New
Sep 14, 2023 2:39 AM CDT
DeSantis to Floridians: Don't Get New COVID Vaccine
Florida governor and surgeon general warn against the new shot
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and the state's top health department official are directly contradicting federal health recommendations and warning residents against getting a new COVID-19 booster , saying there's not enough evidence it provides benefits that outweigh risks, the AP reports. DeSantis, who is running for president, and Florida...
You Can Now Get Your
Updated COVID Vaccine
Sep 13, 2023 12:41 AM CDT
You Can Now Get Your Updated COVID Vaccine
Shots beginning this week, as soon as Wednesday in some locations
- Most Americans should get an updated COVID-19 vaccine, health officials said Tuesday. Advisers to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention endorsed the new shots for everyone 6 months and older and the agency's director quickly signed off Tuesday on the panel's recommendation. That means doses should be...
Judges Find Administration
Probably Violated Free Speech
Sep 9, 2023 1:50 PM CDT
Judges Find Administration Probably Violated Free Speech
Appeals panel limits reach of injunction on contacting social media sites over COVID posts
- A federal appeals court delivered a mixed ruling to the Biden administration on its attempts to get social media sites to remove false information about COVID-19, cutting back a lower court's injunction on the issue while saying the actions probably infringed on First Amendment protections. A three-judge panel of...
Updated COVID Shots Part
of Plan to Avoid 'Tripledemic'
Sep 9, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Updated COVID Shots Part of Plan to Avoid 'Tripledemic'
Approval of updated vaccines expected within days, just in time for flu and RSV season
- Updated COVID-19 vaccines are coming soon, just in time to pair them with flu shots. Doctors hope enough people get vaccinated to help avert another "tripledemic" like last year, when hospitals were overwhelmed with an early flu season, an onslaught of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), and yet another winter...
Biden Wears, Then Removes
Mask at White House Ceremony
Sep 5, 2023 6:41 PM CDT
Biden Wears, Then Removes Mask at White House Ceremony
President tested negative for COVID Tuesday
- President Biden turned up in a mask for the first time in months on Tuesday, a day after his wife tested positive for COVID-19. But the president quickly ditched it during a ceremony honoring an 81-year-old Vietnam veteran, and the two unmasked octogenarians shared a hearty handshake before they parted....
First Lady Jill Biden
Has COVID Again
Sep 5, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
First Lady Jill Biden Has COVID Again
President has so far tested negative
- Jill Biden tested positive for COVID-19 Monday, her spokesperson said, but the first lady currently has just mild symptoms. President Joe Biden tested negative after his wife's test came back positive, but the White House press secretary said he would be monitored for symptoms and would continue to be...
Think We're Done
With COVID? It's
Not Done With Us
Aug 29, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Think We're Done With COVID? It's Not Done With Us
Illness is more manageable now, but late-summer wave shows our 'new normal' will include the virus
- If you're seeing a sudden uptick in people around you contracting COVID, more than three years after the start of the pandemic, and more than three months after the pandemic public health emergency was declared over , you're not imagining it. Per the
New York Times
, there's been...
School Barely Begins, Gets
Canceled Due to Mass Illness
in case you missed it
Aug 27, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
School Barely Begins, Gets Canceled Due to Mass Illness
Kentucky district says nearly a fifth of the student body got sick
- The first day of school for Kentucky's Lee County School District was August 9, but by Friday, attendance had already dropped to 82%. By Monday, it was 81%, and 14 teachers had called out sick—so classes were canceled Tuesday and Wednesday, with remote learning planned for Thursday and...
Aug 23, 2023 2:29 AM CDT
Hollywood Studio Brings Back Mask Mandate
Others could follow, 'Deadline' speculates
- A mask mandate has been reinstated at a major Hollywood studio, at least for some employees. After multiple employees at Lionsgate's Santa Monica flagship office tested positive for COVID, the studio said workers on two of the five floors of the building (which amounts to almost half of the...
for COVID Surge
Aug 20, 2023 5:51 AM CDT
Germans Blame Barbenheimer for COVID Surge
Mass gatherings may have played a role in rise in case numbers
- Germany is experiencing a summer surge in COVID cases, and experts say something
calls the "Barbenheimer effect" is partly to blame. Epidemiologists say mass gatherings, including trips to the cinema to see blockbusters
often as a double bill, have played a role in what appears...
New COVID Variant
Comes on CDC's Radar
Aug 18, 2023 2:07 PM CDT
New COVID Variant Comes on CDC's Radar
BA.2.86 has an unusually large number of mutations
- The days when a new strain of COVID could make headlines may seem like the distant past, but the CDC is calling attention to what it says is a potentially worrisome one, reports CBS News . It's called BA.2.86, and it's been spotted so far in the...
For Long COVID Sufferers,
Good News and Bad News
Aug 1, 2023 1:53 PM CDT
For Long COVID Sufferers, Good News and Bad News
Researchers say it's like having the brain age 10 years; but NIH is rolling out treatment studies
- For those battling the vague but debilitating condition that has come to be known as long COVID , it's a mix of good and bad news.
British researchers measured the cognitive impairment of those with the diagnosis and found that it's the equivalent of their brains aging
May Get a Lot Easier
Jul 22, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Detecting COVID May Get a Lot Easier
Researchers develop a portable device that can detect it in a room's air in a few minutes
- Researchers have developed a portable gizmo the size of a microwave that can determine if COVID is present in the air of a room in five minutes, reports Science News . The new tool described in Nature is akin to an air-quality monitor and can detect the airborne virus in real...
Family Guilty of Selling
Bleach as Fake COVID Cure
Jul 20, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
Family Guilty of Selling Bleach as Fake COVID Cure
Floridians did so through their Miami church
- Four members of a Florida family were convicted Wednesday of selling a toxic industrial bleach as a fake COVID-19 cure through their online church, per the AP . A federal jury in Miami found Mark Grenon, 65, and his sons, 37-year-old Jonathan, 35-year-old Joseph, and 29-year-old Jordan, guilty of conspiring to...
RFK Jr. Denies Antisemitism
in New COVID Remarks
Jul 16, 2023 8:20 AM CDT
RFK Jr. Denies Antisemitism in New COVID Remarks
Candidate takes flak after 'New York Post' reports on his comments at a dinner
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. finds himself in more political controversy this weekend, accused of bigotry over comments he made while discussing the COVID-19 virus at a dinner in New York City this week. The
New York Post
published videotape of the dinner. Coverage:
What he said:
"COVID-19. There is
to Deer, They
Got Us Back
Jul 12, 2023 1:44 PM CDT
After Humans Spread COVID to Deer, They Got Us Back
Researchers identify cases of deer-to-human transmission
- Humans spread COVID-19 to American deer more than 100 times, according to a new analysis, which shows the "deer-adapted" virus jumped back to humans on a few occasions. The study, confirming early alpha and gamma variants were circulating in deer after becoming rare in people, raises concerns that the...
COVID Vaccines Likely
Getting a Big Update
Jun 16, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
COVID Vaccines Likely Getting a Big Update
FDA advisers endorse updating the shots
- The COVID-19 vaccines are on track for a big recipe change this fall, the AP reports. Today’s vaccines still contain the original coronavirus strain, the one that started the pandemic—even though that was long ago supplanted by mutated versions as the virus rapidly evolves. Thursday, the Food and...
Long COVID Patients
May Fare Worse Than
Some With Cancer
Jun 8, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Long COVID Patients May Fare Worse Than Some With Cancer
Fatigue is No. 1 symptom among this group, which sees 'shockingly' low quality-of-life scores
- Medical experts and researchers are still wrangling with the intricacies of long COVID , the label given to health issues that persist or emerge after one's initial bout with the coronavirus is believed to have "ended." Now, a study out of the UK sheds more light on how...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Thanks to Taylor Swift, Heinz Selling 'Ketchup and Seemingly Ranch'
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.