Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
COVID Vaccines Saved
Almost 20M Lives in First Year
Jun 24, 2022 2:47 AM CDT
COVID Vaccines Saved Almost 20M Lives in First Year
That includes 1.9M in the US, researchers say
- Nearly 20 million lives were saved by COVID-19 vaccines during their first year, but even more deaths could have been prevented if international targets for the shots had been reached, researchers reported Thursday. On Dec. 8, 2020, a retired shop clerk in England received the first shot in what would...
Long COVID Is Really
Jun 19, 2022 10:00 PM CDT
Long COVID Is Really Long—and Enigmatic
Health experts are flummoxed by diagnosing, treating this type of illness
- In her two years of battling COVID-19, Lindsay Polega has been referred to, in order: an immunologist, cardiologist, nephrologist, endocrinologist, neurologist, then the immunologist again. Still, she's dealing with a list of symptoms including chest pain, hypertensive spikes, and hand numbness. Scrolling on her cellphone has caused vertigo, and...
Jun 18, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
CDC Agrees: Under-5 Shots Can Begin
Biden calls final approval of COVID vaccine for young children a relief
: "For parents all over the country, this is a day of relief and celebration," President Biden said in a statement Saturday after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention approved COVID vaccinations for children as young as 6 months old. Director Rochelle Walensky gave the final OK...
Fauci Has COVID
Jun 15, 2022 3:18 PM CDT
Fauci Has COVID
81-year-old is showing mild symptoms
- After more than two years of fighting the coronavirus pandemic, Dr. Anthony Fauci is now fighting a coronavirus infection—though since he is, of course, fully vaccinated against COVID-19, he's probably not in serious danger. The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease said Wednesday that Fauci—the institute'...
Days After Biden Meeting,
Trudeau Tests Positive
Jun 13, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Days After Biden Meeting, Trudeau Tests Positive
Canadian prime minister spent time with other leaders last week in Los Angeles
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted Monday that he's tested positive for COVID-19, days after meeting with President Biden in Los Angeles and months after his first bout with the coronavirus. "I'll be following public health guidelines and isolating," the prime minister posted . "I feel...
Unvaccinated Andrew Giuliani
Barred From In-Person Debate
Jun 13, 2022 5:03 PM CDT
Unvaccinated Andrew Giuliani Barred From In-Person Debate
TV station won't allow candidate for governor in studio
- Andrew Giuliani, a first-time candidate for public office, will not be allowed into a TV studio to join the opening Republican debate in the New York governor's race on Monday because he's not vaccinated against COVID-19. Giuliani said WCBS-TV told him Sunday he'll be barred unless he...
Pfizer Shots for
Kids Under 5
Jun 13, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
FDA Posts Analysis of Pfizer Shots for Kids Under 5
Says the kid-sized dose appears to be safe and effective
The FDA on Sunday posted its analysis of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine for children under age 5, announcing that the kid-sized doses do appear to be safe and effective. The agency posted a similar analysis of Moderna's vaccine for the youngest age group last week. Next up: Wednesday'...
on COVID Origins
Jun 10, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
WHO Report on COVID Origins Angers China
Team said there should be further investigation of lab leak theory
- A team of scientists backed by the World Health Organization released a preliminary report Thursday on the search for the origins of the coronavirus pandemic—and China was angered by the suggestion that the theory the virus may have leaked from a lab merited further investigation. The team said that...
Tied to $7.2M
COVID Relief Plot
Jun 8, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
Authorities: Japanese Fugitive Tied to $7.2M COVID Relief Plot
Mitsuhiro Taniguchi is now in custody in Indonesia and set to be deported
- For a week or two, Mitsuhiro Taniguchi was holed up in the home of an Indonesian fish trader, trying to convince him of his plan to invest in local fisheries. That won't be happening now, though, as he's been nabbed by authorities over the money he was perhaps...
Scientists Find Much Cuter
Way to Sniff Out COVID
Jun 3, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Scientists Find Much Cuter Way to Sniff Out COVID
Canines trained to smell for virus correctly IDed 97% of positive cases, 100% of asymptomatic ones
- Suspect you have COVID but don't feel up to dragging yourself out to an urgent care for testing? Sometime in the future, you may be able to simply call your dog over. At least, that's what researchers are hoping after they found that dogs trained to sniff out...
Colombian Drug Boss
Dies in US Prison
Jun 1, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Colombian Drug Boss Dies in US Prison
Gilberto Rodriguez-Orejuela helped run Cali cartel in Colombia
: Gilberto Rodriguez-Orejuela, who helped lead Colombia's Cali cocaine cartel, has died in an American prison, two years after losing his bid for compassionate release because of his poor health. The cause was lymphoma, the
reports. Rodríguez Orejuela, who was extradited to the US in 2004, built...
to Lift 2-Month Lockdown
May 31, 2022 2:28 PM CDT
Shanghai Prepares to Lift 2-Month Lockdown
'I could die' from happiness, resident says
- Shanghai authorities say they will take major steps Wednesday toward reopening China's largest city after a two-month COVID-19 lockdown that has set back the national economy and largely confined millions of people to their homes. Already, a steady stream of people strolled in the Bund, the city's historic...
Doctor Who Hawked COVID
'Miracle Cure' Gets Jail Time
May 31, 2022 6:44 AM CDT
Doctor Who Hawked COVID 'Miracle Cure' Gets Jail Time
Jennings Ryan Staley of San Diego sentenced to 30 days over hydroxychloroquine scheme
- In the early days of the pandemic, a San Diego doctor offered a beacon of hope—more specifically what he called a "miracle cure" for COVID. Now, however, Dr. Jennings Ryan Staley is going to prison for 30 days over his purported remedy , reports Fox 5 . Staley attempted to...
Everyone Masked Up at State
Funeral, Except Kim Jong Un
May 23, 2022 12:09 PM CDT
Everyone Masked Up at State Funeral, Except Kim Jong Un
North Korea says its COVID outbreak is easing, but many are skeptical
- A huge number of North Koreans including leader Kim Jong Un attended a funeral for a top official, state media reported Monday, as the country maintained the disputed claim that its suspected coronavirus outbreak is subsiding. Since admitting earlier this month to an outbreak, North Korea has only stated how...
Pfizer Offers Update on
Shots for Kids Under 5
May 23, 2022 8:31 AM CDT
Pfizer Offers Update on Shots for Kids Under 5
Preliminary data suggest 3 shots offer strong protection for the youngest patients
- Three doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine offer strong protection for children younger than 5, the company announced Monday. Pfizer plans to give the data to US regulators later this week in a step toward letting the littlest kids get the shots. The news comes after months of anxious waiting...
At This Point, Vaccines Aren't
What North Korea Needs
May 20, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
At This Point, Vaccines Aren't What North Korea Needs
One expert suggests it's too late for mass vaccinations to help
- North Korea isn't exactly fighting fire with fire when it comes to COVID, at least according to the BBC's monitoring of state media. The country of 25 million has no stockpile of or access to anti-viral drugs, so its population is reportedly being advised to turn toward less...
After 6-Week Break,
COVID Briefings Are Back
May 19, 2022 4:57 AM CDT
After 6-Week Break, COVID Briefings Are Back
Cases, hospitalizations are rising sharply
- The coronavirus pandemic is far from over, officials warned at the White House's first COVID-19 briefing after a six-week hiatus. Dr. Ashish Jha, the White House's new COVID-19 coordinator, urged Congress to approve more funding for vaccines and treatments, the
reports. "Without additional funding from Congress,...
Shows After Test
May 18, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Clapton Cancels Shows After Test
Star contracts COVID after blaming ailments on vaccine
- Eric Clapton has postponed a couple of concerts planned for Zurich and Milan this week after contracting COVID-19. A Facebook post said the 77-year-old rock star tested positive after a performance at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Clapton has had AstraZeneca shots,
reports, though he's criticized the...
NK Shuns Outside Help
as COVID Cases Skyrocket
May 18, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
NK Shuns Outside Help as COVID Cases Skyrocket
Kim criticized officials for 'non-positive attitudes' and 'slackness'
- North Korea on Wednesday added hundreds of thousands of infections to its growing pandemic caseload but also said a million people have already recovered from suspected COVID-19 just a week after disclosing an outbreak, which it appears to be trying to manage in isolation as global experts express deep concern...
Zero Cars Were Sold
in Shanghai Last Month
May 17, 2022 3:21 PM CDT
Zero Cars Were Sold in Shanghai Last Month
Lockdown hit city's economy hard
- Shanghai is finally beginning to emerge from a long, harsh lockdown that was initially supposed to last only a few days—but the economic damage will take time to recover from. In what Bloomberg sees as evidence of how strict the lockdown was, not a single car was sold in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Collins on Roe Ruling: 'I Feel Misled'
Garland Warns States About Abortion Pills
Missing at Sea for 11 Days, Va. Couple Emerges
Experts Are Raising Eyebrows at Laundrie Confession
Miner's Surprise Find: 'She's Perfect and She's Beautiful'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.