Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
SCOTUS to Hear Case on
GOP-Backed Social Media Laws
Sep 29, 2023 9:43 AM CDT
SCOTUS to Hear Case on GOP-Backed Social Media Laws
Legislation enacted in Texas, Florida aim to prevent social media sites from censoring users
- The Supreme Court agreed Friday to decide whether state laws that seek to regulate Facebook, TikTok, X (formerly known as Twitter), and other social media platforms violate the Constitution. The justices will review laws enacted by Republican-dominated legislatures and signed by Republican governors in Florida and Texas. While the details...
Irish Regulator Hits
TikTok With $367M Fine
Sep 15, 2023 10:07 AM CDT
Irish Regulator Hits TikTok With $367M Fine
Watchdog says social media app violated EU law on handling of children's data
- Irish eyes are not smiling on how TikTok handled children's data in the second half of 2020. After reviewing the company's procedures during that period, Ireland's data watchdog fined the social media company $367 million for breaking European Union law and issued a reprimand, the
TikTok Star After Cliff Fall:
'I Thought I Was Going to Die'
Aug 18, 2023 11:33 AM CDT
TikTok Star After Cliff Fall: 'I Thought I Was Going to Die'
Caleb Coffee suffered multiple broken bones, faces 'long road to recovery'
- A young TikTok star has survived a fall from a cliff in Hawaii in what his family describes as a "miracle." Caleb Coffee, 18, was hiking with friends Wednesday when he tumbled, falling 60 to 80 feet onto a bed of lava rocks, according to a GoFundMe page....
to Book Ban
Jul 18, 2023 2:16 PM CDT
Obama's Dissent to Book Ban Hits TikTok
Former president says censorship of opposing viewpoints is 'profoundly misguided'
- Fighting back against efforts to ban books from schools and public libraries, the American Library Association has found a prominent supporter in former President Obama. In an open letter to the nation's librarians, Obama denounces attempts to censor "some of the books that shaped my life—and...
The Jig Is Up for
TikTok's 'Dr. Roxy'
in case you missed it
Jul 16, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
The Jig Is Up for TikTok's 'Dr. Roxy'
Ohio's Medical Board finds she 'put patients in danger for the social media world'
- A plastic surgeon who made a name for herself in livestreaming procedures on TikTok can no longer practice in Ohio after the state's Medical Board found she'd neglected patients while focused on her viewers. The board voted Wednesday to strip Dr. Katharine Roxanne Grawe, better known as Dr....
Judge Accused of Posting
Inappropriate TikTok Videos
Jul 5, 2023 12:49 PM CDT
Judge Accused of Posting Inappropriate TikTok Videos
New Jersey judge lip-synched explicit lyrics, complaint states
- A New Jersey Superior Court judge is accused of having very poor judgment when it came to what he posted on TikTok. According to a complaint filed against Gary Wilcox, some of the dozens of videos the judge posted under the name "Sal Tortorella" over a two-year period featured...
Commute Goes Viral
Jun 16, 2023 10:26 AM CDT
College Intern's Grueling 1.2K-Mile Commute Goes Viral
Sophia Celentano actually saves money by flying from SC to gig in NJ every Wednesday
- College student Sophia Celentano gets up around 3am every Wednesday to get ready for her summer internship—not because her gig starts very early (it's a traditional 9-to-5), but because she's a "super commuter," flying 600 miles one way from her home in Charleston, South Carolina,...
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 27, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
Meet 'Heaven's Receptionist'
She is former Miss New York Taryn Delanie Smith, and she is charming all of TikTok
- If heaven were a place on Earth, its receptionist's office would be located in the home, and more specifically the TikTok account , of one Taryn Delanie Smith. As NPR reports, Smith—the 2022 Miss New York and 2023 runner-up Miss America, and, yes, a onetime receptionist—has created a...
TikTok Sues Montana
May 22, 2023 5:50 PM CDT
TikTok Sues Montana
Company says ban is based on 'unfounded speculation'
- TikTok is taking Montana to court over the state's first-in-the-nation ban complete ban of the app , which was due to take effect Jan. 1 but could now be delayed. In a complaint filed Monday in US District Court for the District of Montana, TikTok said the ban violated First...
It Gets Sued
May 19, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Hours After First State Bans TikTok, It Gets Sued
Lawsuit filed against Montana after it tries to entirely ban the social media app
- Five TikTok content creators wasted no time filing a lawsuit challenging Montana's first-in-the-nation TikTok ban ; their complaint was filed Wednesday night, hours after Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte signed the law, which goes way beyond a prohibiting TikTok on government devices. The Montana ban aims to prohibit the Chinese-owned app...
State OKs Total TikTok Ban
May 17, 2023 7:05 PM CDT
State OKs Total TikTok Ban
ACLU calls Montana law unconstitutional
- The nation's first complete ban on TikTok has been approved in Montana. Gov. Greg Gianforte, a Republican, signed the legislation on Wednesday, possibly kicking off a court battle that could not only decide whether Montana's law ever takes effect, but also the future of similar federal legislation, the...
This Uplifting TikTok
Ditty Has Struck a Chord
Apr 24, 2023 11:16 AM CDT
This Uplifting TikTok Ditty Has Struck a Chord
'If I Were a Fish' has resonated online with its message of acceptance
- They didn't set out to create a viral online sensation, but a Nashville couple has nevertheless done so with a song equal parts catchy and uplifting. The song is "If I Were a Fish," and the singers are Corinne Savage (whose stage name is Corook) and her...
Congressman Ridiculed Over
TikTok WiFi Question
Mar 24, 2023 12:28 AM CDT
Congressman Ridiculed Over TikTok WiFi Question
Some think he has no idea how internet access works, others think he has a point
- TikTok users took to—what else—TikTok during the social media app CEO's congressional appearance Thursday to mock lawmakers who seemed like, as some called them, "embarrassing" "corpses" who are too old and "out-of-touch" to have any idea how technology works. One of the questions being...
Mar 23, 2023 12:17 PM CDT
One Exchange Sums Up TikTok Exec's Testimony
Lawmaker demands guarantee China can't use the site to spy, doesn't get one
- The CEO of TikTok was being grilled by members of a House committee on Thursday, and one exchange in particular seemed to encapsulate the early going. A big concern of lawmakers on the House Energy and Commerce Committee panel is that because TikTok is owned by the Chinese firm ByteDance,...
TikTok to Defend Against
Claims It's 'Digital Fentanyl'
Mar 23, 2023 8:39 AM CDT
TikTok to Defend Against Claims It's 'Digital Fentanyl'
CEO Shou Zi Chew to respond to security, content concerns at Thursday hearing
- The fate of TikTok in the US could rest on a Congressional hearing taking place Thursday, which will see CEO Shou Zi Chew claim the data of its 150 million US users is protected from the Chinese government. Lawmakers aren't convinced. As the
New York Times
reports, the app...
Report: Feds Threaten
Nationwide TikTok Ban
Mar 16, 2023 5:43 AM CDT
Report: Feds Threaten Nationwide TikTok Ban
Company says it has been told Chinese owners need to sell their stake in app
- After more than two years in office, President Biden apparently now holds the same position as his predecessor on TikTok. The administration has threatened to ban the app unless Chinese company ByteDance sells its stake, sources tell outlets including the
New York Times
Wall Street Journal
. In 2020,...
46 UMass Students
Mar 8, 2023 6:43 AM CST
46 UMass Students Hospitalized After Drinking 'Borgs'
Another TikTok challenge gone awry
- Another social media challenge is making headlines for unfortunate reasons. This one has to do with "borgs," or one-gallon containers of water in which some of the water is dumped out and replaced with alcohol and some sort of flavoring that has electrolytes. After consuming "borgs" (which...
TikTok Is Bringing in
Time Limits for Under-18s
Mar 1, 2023 1:15 PM CST
TikTok Is Bringing in Time Limits for Under-18s
But they'll be able to opt out, company says
- TikTok, which has been criticized for having an algorithm so addictive that many teens say they are on the app constantly, is bringing in a screen time limit for younger users—though it's not one that will be strictly enforced. The company says that in changes that will be...
TikTok Kicked Off
Devices in Canada
Feb 27, 2023 6:15 PM CST
TikTok Kicked Off Government-Issued Devices in Canada
App 'presents an unacceptable level of risk to privacy and security'
- Canada has become the latest country to crack down on TikTok over data collection policies seen as unsafe. Officials said Monday that the Chief Information Officer of Canada had decided, after a review, that the Chinese-owned social media app should not be allowed on government devices because it "presents...
Cops: TikTok Challenge Drove
Teens to Act Like Kool-Aid Man
Feb 23, 2023 12:07 PM CST
Cops: TikTok Challenge Drove Teens to Act Like Kool-Aid Man
Kids busted for crashing through residents' fences on Long Island
- Another day, another stupid TikTok challenge. This time it involves a group of Long Island teens who allegedly decided to emulate the Kool-Aid Man's move of busting through walls —except in their case, they're accused of kicking down local fences. Fox News reports that Suffolk County police...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
Woman Has Struggled to Prove She's Not Dead for 16 Years
One Sign Haley Is Gaining Traction: Trump Goes on Attack
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.