Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Faces Hate Crime
Charges After TikTok Video
Dec 27, 2022 3:00 PM CST
Man Faces Hate Crime Charges After TikTok Video
Police say he berated two Asian diners at an In-N-Out burger in California
- Police in California say a man confronted two Asian diners at an In-N-Out burger and a made a series of homophobic and ethnic statements that amount to hate crimes. The suspect's bad luck: The college-age diners were actually making a TikTok video at the time, reports CBS News . After...
In Idaho Killings, Professor
Sues a Tarot Card Reader
Dec 25, 2022 9:15 AM CST
In Idaho Killings, Professor Sues a Tarot Card Reader
TikToker Ashley Guillard blames head of history department for killings of four students
- Police still have no idea who killed four University of Idaho students last month. But a TikTok personality has begun publicly blaming the head of the school's history department—based not on evidence but on her readings of tarot cards, reports NBC News . As a result, the history professor...
Twitter (Briefly) Disallows
Promotion of Rivals
Dec 18, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Twitter (Briefly) Disallows Promotion of Rivals
New policy is deleted, replaced with a poll asking users their opinion on it
- Once again, a new Twitter policy has been swiftly rescinded. On Sunday, the platform said it would no longer let users promote accounts on rival platforms. But after what CNN describes as an "immense backlash," Twitter removed the blog post and tweet thread announcing the new policy. Instead,...
Senate Fears Federal Workers
Are Using a 'Trojan Horse'
Dec 15, 2022 9:29 AM CST
Senate Fears Federal Workers Are Using a 'Trojan Horse'
It passes bill that would bar the downloading, use of TikTok on government devices
- TikTok has seen a smackdown of sorts across the nation, with multiple states banning use of the video hosting service on government devices. Now the Senate has voted in favor of a similar ban for federal employees, passing a bill that will need House approval before making its way to...
Outrage After Maternity Nurses
Share Their 'Icks' on TikTok
Dec 11, 2022 3:00 PM CST
Outrage After Maternity Nurses Share Their 'Icks' on TikTok
Emory University Hospital Midtown refers to 'former employees' in statement
- Complaining about your job with co-workers is pretty typical, but four labor and delivery nurses who made a TikTok video airing their gripes may have lost their jobs over it. NBC News reports the nurses at Emory University Hospital Midtown made a video in which they sounded off about what...
TikTok Gets Smacked
Down by Multiple States
Dec 7, 2022 9:20 AM CST
TikTok Gets Smacked Down by Multiple States
Maryland, South Dakota, South Carolina cite cybersecurity risks in ban on government devices
- Maryland is banning the use of TikTok and certain China- and Russia-based platforms in the state's executive branch of government, Gov. Larry Hogan said Tuesday, citing an unacceptable cybersecurity risk to the state. The Republican governor announced an emergency cybersecurity directive to prohibit the use of the platforms, saying...
RIP, Noodle, Beloved
Pug of TikTok
Dec 4, 2022 5:30 AM CST
RIP, Noodle, Beloved Pug of TikTok
If he had a lazy day, the rest of us were encouraged to follow suit
- Noodle, a senior pug famous on social media for predicting whether it would be a "bones day" or a "no bones day," has died. Owner Jonathan Graziano posted on Instagram on Saturday that his 14-year-old dog died Friday, calling it a “day I always knew was...
Report: Blackout Challenge
Is Killing a Kid Per Month
Dec 1, 2022 11:32 AM CST
Report: Blackout Challenge Is Killing a Kid Per Month
Bloomberg looks at how TikTok's growth goals conflict with moderation needs
- Lawsuits linking TikTok to children's deaths only point to a problem that continues to risk lives behind the headlines, according to Bloomberg , which finds the "blackout challenge" has been linked to the deaths of at least 20 children aged 14 and younger within the last 18 months. Fifteen...
SD Governor Bans
TikTok From State Devices
Nov 30, 2022 3:27 PM CST
SD Governor Bans TikTok From State Devices
Kristi Noem's office cites 'growing national security threat' posed by Chinese-owned app
- TikTok is now an app non grata on state-owned and state-leased devices in South Dakota. Republican Gov. Kristi Noem signed an executive order Tuesday blocking use of the popular social media app, the
Sioux Falls Argus-Leader
reports. TikTok downloads and use of the app or the TikTok website are now...
Guy Lands Dream Role After
Playing Dead in 321 Videos
Oct 26, 2022 2:48 PM CDT
Guy Lands Dream Role After Playing Dead in 321 Videos
TikToker Josh Nalley will be a corpse in the morgue on 'CSI:Vegas'
- After 321 days of playing dead with skills that would put a possum to shame, Kentucky man Josh Nalley landed his dream role on
—he'll play a body in the morgue. The 42-year-old restaurant manager has been posting daily videos on TikTok in which he pretends to...
Crash That Killed
4 Teens May Be Linked
to TikTok Challenge
Oct 25, 2022 2:31 PM CDT
Crash That Killed 4 Teens May Be Linked to TikTok Challenge
Buffalo teens were in stolen Kia
- A car crash that left four teenagers dead may have been linked to a TikTok challenge, a police commissioner in Buffalo says. A total of six teenagers were in a speeding Kia that crashed about 6:30am Monday, Buffalo police said. The car had been reported stolen Sunday night. All...
Hiker Shares TikTok Video
of Bison Goring Her
Oct 18, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
Hiker Shares TikTok Video of Bison Goring Her
Rebecca Clark was trying to sneak past a group of them in Texas when one spotted her
- A hiker from Texas is lucky to be alive after being gored by a bison, and the clip of her attack is now going viral on TikTok. The
reports on Rebecca Clark's ordeal last week during a solo trek in Caprock Canyons State Park and Trailway, where...
TikTok Influencer's First
Skydive Ends in Tragedy
Sep 5, 2022 9:44 AM CDT
TikTok Influencer's First Skydive Ends in Tragedy
Tanya Pardazi, 21, died during jump outside Toronto last month
- On Aug. 29, a statement from Skydive Toronto announced the death two days earlier of a 21-year-old skydiving student, citing "fatal injuries obtained from an emergency situation." It didn't identify the student, but now her name is out, and it's a fairly well-known one: Tanya Pardazi,...
Man's Claim of Finding Unseen
Massacre Photos in Doubt
Sep 3, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Man's Claim of Finding Unseen Massacre Photos in Doubt
30 photos left at pawn shop in Minnesota may or may not depict the Rape of Nanjing
- Evan Kail, owner of the St. Louis Park Gold and Silver shop in Minnesota, is known as the "Pawn Man" on TikTok, where he shares videos of some of the unique items that arrive in his shop. But he would only show part of a photo album that arrived...
Warning Puts a Damper on
Lawmakers' Use of TikTok
Aug 11, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Warning Puts a Damper on Lawmakers' Use of TikTok
Memo from chamber's Chief Administrative Office warns against app due to privacy, security concerns
- Even members of the US House of Representatives and their staff like to catch the latest viral dance video on TikTok, but a new warning from the chamber's Chief Administrative Office may have them rethinking using the popular social-media app. "We do not recommend the download or use...
After She Spoke of 'Toxic'
Marriage, a Murder-Suicide
Jul 28, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
After She Spoke of 'Toxic' Marriage, a Murder-Suicide
Sania Khan said stigma in South Asian communities make it hard for women to flee unhealthy relationships
- After his ex-wife discussed their "toxic" marriage and divorce on TikTok, a Georgia man allegedly drove 11 hours, shot and killed the woman, then turned the gun on himself as cops closed in. That's according to Chicago police, who heard a gunshot and a groan as they arrived...
Jul 27, 2022 5:31 PM CDT
Meta Reports First-Ever Revenue Drop
Company's problems include declining advertising spending, TikTok competition
- Meta's share price rose more than 6% in trading Wednesday—but it dropped 4% after-hours once the company reported its first-ever fall in revenue. Facebook's parent company reported quarterly revenue of $28.9 billion, below Wall Street's expectations and down almost 1% from the equivalent quarter last...
Not Declaring Her
in case you missed it
Jul 23, 2022 7:58 AM CDT
Traveler's Costly Mistake: Not Declaring Her Subway Sandwich
Australia is strict when it comes to entering the country with meat and vegetables
- A woman forgot to declare one half of a Subway sandwich after flying home to Australia and now has to pay a nearly $2,000 fine. Jessica Lee took to TikTok to describe what she calls "the most expensive sandwich ever," which is somewhat accurate considering Guinness World...
Woman in 'Random Act of
Kindness': 'I Feel Like Clickbait'
Jul 14, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Woman in 'Random Act of Kindness': 'I Feel Like Clickbait'
TikTok creator Harrison Pawluk gave woman flowers, video went viral; she's not happy about it
- What's being deemed a "random act of kindness" by a TikTok creator wasn't taken that way by the recipient of said act, who says she feels exploited for her role in a video that's gone viral. The
reports on the filmed stunt by Harrison Pawluk,...
Jul 14, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Football Player, Social Media Star Dies
Spencer Webb, 22, fell and hit his head at an Oregon swimming lake
- Oregon Ducks tight end Spencer Webb has died after falling and striking his head on rock slides at a popular swimming lake near Eugene, Oregon, authorities said. The 22-year-old who was expected to play his fifth football season at the University of Oregon this fall was found about 100 yards...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.