Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
NATO, Poland: No, Missile
Wasn't Fired by Russia
Nov 16, 2022 8:14 AM CST
NATO, Poland: No, Missile Wasn't Fired by Russia
Jens Stoltenberg, Polish prez say fatal incident was most likely Ukrainian air defense missile
- First President Biden expressed doubt that a missile that killed two in Poland had been fired by Russia. Now, NATO's chief and Poland's president are doing the same. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Wednesday that there is "no indication" of a deliberate Russian attack and preliminary...
Russia Unleashes One
of Its Largest Assaults Yet
Nov 15, 2022 11:36 AM CST
Russia Unleashes One of Its Largest Assaults Yet
Missiles rain down from east to west in Ukraine, leaving many cities in the dark
- Russian airstrikes targeting energy and other facilities rocked Ukraine from east to west Tuesday, causing broad power blackouts. A senior official warned that the situation was "critical" and urged Ukrainians to "hang in there" as neighborhoods went dark, per the AP . The
describes the assault as...
It's a 'Humanitarian
Catastrophe' in Kherson
Nov 14, 2022 12:58 AM CST
It's a 'Humanitarian Catastrophe' in Kherson
City is largely without water, power, heat, and much more
- There was celebrating in the streets after Russia withdrew from Ukraine's Kherson region , but the
New York Times
reports that a "humanitarian disaster looms." The city of Kherson is mostly lacking heat, water, power, and cellphone service; food and medicine are also scarce. And with Ukrainian military...
Putin to Skip
'Saves Him the
Nov 10, 2022 9:35 AM CST
Putin to Skip G20 Summit: 'Saves Him the Embarrassment'
Ukraine's Volodymyr Zelensky to attend events in Bali as virtual guest
- Vladimir Putin will be missing from the G20 summit next week amid a series of setbacks for Russia in its war in Ukraine—though he might appear via video. That's according to officials at the Russian Embassy in Indonesia, where leaders of the world's 20 largest economies will...
Sean Penn Hands
an Oscar to Zelensky
Nov 9, 2022 1:58 PM CST
Sean Penn Hands an Oscar to Zelensky
'When you win, bring it back to Malibu'
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky wasn't nominated for an Oscar during his acting career—which included playing the president of Ukraine in a comedy series—but he now has one such trophy in his possession. Sean Penn met Zelensky in Kyiv Tuesday and handed him one of his two Oscars,...
Russia Wants 'Artificial Famine,'
Zelensky Tells Ukraine
Oct 30, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Russia Wants 'Artificial Famine,' Zelensky Tells Ukraine
With grain blockade resumed, president says G-20 should evict Russia
- President Volodymyr Zelensky told Ukrainians that Russia, which reinstated its blockade of grain shipments on Sunday, is creating "conditions of artificial famine" and should be kicked out of the G-20 group of nations. "How can Russia be among the G-20 if it is deliberately working for starvation on...
US, UK Blast Russian Official's
Dirty Bomb Claims as 'False'
Oct 24, 2022 6:29 AM CDT
US, UK Blast Russian Official's Dirty Bomb Claims as 'False'
Nation's defense minister alleges Ukraine has plans to use dirty bomb, which Ukraine refutes
- A phone call over the weekend between US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and his counterpart in Russia, Sergei Shoigu, resulted in an alarming assertion from the latter. A US administration official says that Shoigu told Austin, who'd also talked to Shoigu on Friday for the first time in months,...
Russian Missiles Fly Into City
With EU's Largest Nuclear Plant
Oct 6, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Russian Missiles Fly Into City With EU's Largest Nuclear Plant
At least 3 are dead, others trapped after apartment block is destroyed in Ukraine's Zaporizhzhia
- Russian rockets destroyed a five-story apartment block in the southern Ukrainian city of Zaporizhzhia early Thursday, killing at least three people and leaving others trapped beneath the rubble, according to the regional governor and emergency services. The
reports "huge fires" were burning in the area following "...
in UN Speeches
Sep 21, 2022 7:36 PM CDT
Biden, Zelensky Condemn Russia in UN Speeches
Both presidents decry the brutality of the invasion
- President Biden delivered a fierce condemnation of Russia's invasion of Ukraine to the UN on Wednesday, while Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in a prerecorded video speech demanded justice. "A permanent member of the UN Security Council invaded its neighbor, attempted to erase a sovereign state from the map....
Russia Strikes Dam Near
Sep 15, 2022 5:55 AM CDT
Russia Strikes Dam Near Zelensky's Hometown
He slams 'terrorist state' after Kryvyi Rih attack
- In what Ukrainian President Volodmyr Zelensky said was an attempt to exact revenge for recent Ukrainian military successes, Russian missiles hit a reservoir dam near his hometown Wednesday, causing extensive flooding. The
reports that in an address late Wednesday, Zelensky switched to speaking Russian to denounce the attack on...
Surprise Trip to
Sep 14, 2022 3:06 PM CDT
Zelensky Takes Surprise Trip to Liberated City
President shows up in Izium for flag-raising ceremony
- A week ago, the strategic city of Izium in eastern Ukraine was behind Russian lines. On Wednesday, President Volodymyr Zelensky made a surprise visit for a flag-raising ceremony in the newly liberated city, the
reports. He thanked paratroopers and sang the national anthem as the Ukrainian flag was raised...
After a Stunning Retreat,
Putin Hears It From Hawks
Sep 11, 2022 9:05 AM CDT
After a Stunning Retreat, Putin Hears It From Hawks
Ukraine recaptures large swaths of the northeast
- Is it a blip or a major turning point in the Russia-Ukraine war? That's the key question in play after Ukraine forces recaptured cities in the northeast and forced a Russian retreat in that region. Coverage:
Ukraine says it recaptured more than 3,000 square miles in
Offensive Has Russians
Leaving Areas in Northeast
Sep 10, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Offensive Has Russians Leaving Areas in Northeast
Foreign Ministry concedes partial withdrawal as Zelensky mocks retreat
- Ukraine's advance into its northeast on Saturday regained strategically key cities and towns, places Russian forces had battled for months to seize. The turnabout represents one of the biggest losses for Russia since the invasion began, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Its Defense Ministry announced its withdrawal of troops...
'A New Nation Emerged
on February 24 at 4am'
Aug 24, 2022 6:33 AM CDT
'A New Nation Emerged on February 24 at 4am'
Ukraine marks Independence Day, 6-month anniversary of Russian invasion
- August 24 is an unusual day in Ukraine: both its Independence Day, which celebrates its now 31-year-old decision to break with the Soviet Union, and the six-month mark of the Russian invasion. President Volodymyr Zelensky gave what CNN calls an "emotional address" to mark the day. "A new...
Image at Home
Takes a Rare Hit
Aug 19, 2022 9:38 AM CDT
Zelensky's Image at Home Takes a Rare Hit
Critics fault his rationale for not better warning citizens about a Russian invasion
- As part of a series of articles about the war in Ukraine, the
has one with an angle that may seem unusual to those who have followed the conflict from the US. It revolves around sometimes withering criticism of Ukrainian leader Volodymyr Zelensky—from fellow Ukrainians. While generally...
Zelensky Wants West to Ban
Travel by Russian Citizens
Aug 9, 2022 2:36 PM CDT
Zelensky Wants West to Ban Travel by Russian Citizens
'This is the only way to influence Putin,' says Ukraine leader
- If Russia annexes more Ukrainian land, Western nations should ban all Russian citizens from their borders. That is the hardline position taken by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in an interview with the
Russian officials have indicated they plan to hold “annexation votes” in the Kherson and Zaporizhzhia...
Ukraine Puts Civilians in
Harm's Way, Report Says
Aug 4, 2022 6:42 PM CDT
Ukraine Puts Civilians in Harm's Way, Report Says
Zelensky angrily denounces Amnesty International's assessment
- Ukrainian forces have exposed civilians to Russian attacks at times by basing themselves in schools, residential buildings, and other places in populated areas, Amnesty International says in a report published Thursday. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky angrily denounced the report, saying Amnesty International "tries to amnesty the terrorist state and...
Red Cross Pushes to See
Wounded in Prison
Jul 30, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
Red Cross Pushes to See Wounded in Prison
Condemnation by UN isn't sufficient, Zelensky says after attack
- Ukrainian and Russian officials blamed each other Saturday for the deaths of dozens of Ukrainian prisoners of war in an attack on a prison in a separatist-controlled area. The International Red Cross asked to visit the prison to make sure the scores of wounded POWs had proper treatment but said...
Russia: Our Goal
Is to Oust Zelensky
Jul 25, 2022 8:04 AM CDT
Russia: Our Goal Is to Oust Zelensky
Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov says administration of Zelensky is an 'absolutely unacceptable regime'
- Russia's top diplomat said Moscow’s overarching goal is to topple the government of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, reports the AP , making Russian war aims more explicit as its forces keep pummeling Ukraine with artillery barrages and airstrikes . The remark from Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov comes amid Ukraine'...
With Words and
Need for US Aid
Jul 20, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
With Words and Jarring Images, Zelenska Frames Need for US Aid
Ukraine's first lady makes a stark and direct appeal to Congress, showing the war's toll on children
- Ukrainian first lady Olena Zelenska, who has called herself "a non-public person," stood in the US Capitol on Wednesday and starkly made the case for more US air defense systems to block Russian missiles. She showed America's most powerful lawmakers images of the toll of Russian bombardment...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
They Traveled 2K Miles on Ship's Rudder
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.