Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
El Paso shooting
Stories 1 - 20 |
Agrees to Pay More
Than $5M to Families
Sep 25, 2023 6:55 PM CDT
Walmart Shooter Agrees to Pay More Than $5M to Families
Patrick Crusius killed 23 people in Texas attack
- A white Texas gunman who killed 23 people in a racist attack on Hispanic shoppers at a Walmart in 2019 agreed Monday to pay more than $5 million to families of the victims. Patrick Crusius was sentenced to 90 consecutive life sentences in July after pleading guilty to federal hate...
El Paso Gunman
Receives 90 Life Sentences
Jul 7, 2023 12:09 PM CDT
El Paso Gunman Receives 90 Life Sentences
Patrick Crusius killed 23 people at a Walmart
- A white gunman who killed 23 people in a racist attack on Hispanic shoppers at a Walmart in a Texas border city was sentenced Friday to 90 consecutive life sentences but could still face more punishment, including the death penalty. Patrick Crusius, 24, pleaded guilty earlier this year to nearly...
Mass Shooting Defendant Enters
Guilty Pleas to Federal Charges
Feb 8, 2023 6:50 PM CST
Mass Shooting Defendant Enters Guilty Pleas to Federal Charges
Death sentence is still possible if state wins capitol murder conviction in El Paso slayings
- A Texas man pleaded guilty Wednesday to federal charges accusing him of killing nearly two dozen people in a racist attack at an El Paso Walmart, changing his plea weeks after the federal government said it wouldn't seek the death penalty for the hate crimes and firearms violations. Patrick...
Feds Won't Seek Death for
Shooter Accused of Killing 23
Jan 18, 2023 7:56 AM CST
Feds Won't Seek Death for Shooter Accused of Killing 23
Patrick Crusius accused of opening fire at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas, in 2019
- Federal prosecutors will not seek the death penalty for a man accused of fatally shooting nearly two dozen people in a racist attack at a West Texas Walmart in 2019, per the AP . The Department of Justice disclosed the decision not to pursue capital punishment against Patrick Crusius in a...
In Domestic Terrorism Data,
a Clear Trend Emerges
Apr 12, 2021 2:04 PM CDT
In Domestic Terrorism Data, a Clear Trend Emerges
Attacks by far-right groups, often white supremacists, lead the way
has done a deep dive into domestic terrorism incidents in the US over the last six years and found a clear trend: Attacks by far-right groups have far exceeded those by far-left groups. Some highlights from the analysis, based on data from the Center for Strategic and...
Victim, 8 Months on
Apr 27, 2020 12:48 AM CDT
Walmart Shooting Claims Another Victim, 8 Months on
Guillermo 'Memo' Garcia dies of his injuries
- The death toll from the August mass shooting at an El Paso Walmart is now 23. More than eight months after he was shot in the store's parking lot, Guillermo “Memo” Garcia has died, KTSM reports. The soccer coach leaves behind his wife and two children . Twenty girls...
Hero of Walmart Shooting
Was Homeless: Cops
Jan 29, 2020 9:22 AM CST
Hero of Walmart Shooting Was Homeless: Cops
El Paso police finally identify transient day laborer Lazaro Ponce as man who rescued infant
- El Paso police say they've finally identified a hero of the mass shooting that killed 22 people at a Walmart on Aug. 3. Surveillance footage captured a man running out of the store carrying an infant whose parents had been fatally shot . A second video showed the man approaching...
As El Paso Survivors Struggle,
Defendant Pleads Not Guilty
Oct 10, 2019 6:05 PM CDT
As El Paso Survivors Struggle, Defendant Pleads Not Guilty
Victims' relatives attend brief hearing
- The man charged with killing 22 people at a Walmart in El Paso appeared in court Thursday, pleading not guilty to capital murder charges. He told the judge he didn't want the charges read to him,
reports. Police documents said that he had confessed to the Aug....
Cops: El Paso Shooting
'Hero' Made Up His Story
Sep 12, 2019 3:09 AM CDT
Cops: El Paso Shooting 'Hero' Made Up His Story
Chris Grant was honored by President Trump Monday
- For many people, the day they visited the White House to be honored for heroic actions would be one to remember with pride. It didn't work out that way for El Paso mass shooting survivor Christopher Grant. The 50-year-old was arrested by Secret Service agents when he arrived with...
Walmart Announces Its Plans
for El Paso Store Where 22 Died
Aug 23, 2019 9:37 AM CDT
Walmart Announces Its Plans for El Paso Store Where 22 Died
Mass shooting site will reopen with a rebuilt interior
- Walmart plans to reopen the El Paso store where 22 people were killed in a shooting earlier this month, the retail giant said Thursday, but the entire interior of the building will first be rebuilt. The renovated store will include an on-site memorial honoring the victims of the shooting, many...
Letter Sent by Texas Governor
Day Before El Paso Is Published
Aug 23, 2019 6:53 AM CDT
Letter Sent by Texas Governor Day Before El Paso Is Published
Aug. 2 letter cited undocumented immigrants
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and other high-profile Republicans in the state have "faced increasing scrutiny over their anti-immigrant language" in the aftermath of the El Paso mass shooting, observes the
. Some of that scrutiny is now turning to an "urgent" fundraising letter from Abbott that was dated...
Alleged El Paso Shooter
Now on Suicide Watch
Aug 20, 2019 1:21 AM CDT
Alleged El Paso Shooter Now on Suicide Watch
El Paso suspect is accused of killing 22
- Jail officials do not want alleged El Paso mass shooter Patrick Crusius to become the next Jeffrey Epstein. An El Paso County Sheriff's Office spokesperson tells KVIA that the 21-year-old is now on suicide watch at the El Paso County Detention Facility, where he was already segregated from the...
Hundreds Came for
His Wife's Funeral. Then
One Came for His Car
Aug 19, 2019 3:24 AM CDT
Hundreds Came for His Wife's Funeral. Then One Came for His Car
Antonio Basco's SUV was stolen and wrecked a day after he buried wife killed in El Paso shooting
- Antonio Basco, whose wife was killed in the El Paso mass shooting, may have had some of his faith in humanity restored when hundreds of strangers turned up for her funeral . The next day, however, his SUV was stolen and wrecked, ABC7 reports. "WTF is wrong with people,"...
He Invited Strangers to His
Wife's Funeral. Hundreds Came
Aug 17, 2019 6:00 AM CDT
He Invited Strangers to His Wife's Funeral. Hundreds Came
Mourners joined Antonio Basco in paying respects to wife Margie Reckard, killed in El Paso shooting
- He invited them, and they came. Antonio Basco, whose wife, 63-year-old Margie Reckard, was killed in the mass shooting in El Paso, Texas, on Aug. 3, didn't have family of his own in the El Paso area and was worried not many people would show at her funeral, so...
Beto Rejoins the Race, With
New, Trump-Centric Strategy
Aug 15, 2019 2:05 PM CDT
Beto Rejoins the Race, With New, Trump-Centric Strategy
O'Rourke says he'll now frame his White House bid as a battle against the president
- Democrat Beto O'Rourke rejoined the presidential race on Thursday following a nearly two-week pause—using a speech in his Texas hometown where a mass shooting killed 22 people to overhaul his White House bid and argue that President Trump is morally unfit for a second term. The former congressman...
No Family Left
After Wife Killed
in El Paso, Man
Issues an Invite
Aug 14, 2019 7:57 AM CDT
No Family Left After Wife Killed in El Paso, Man Issues an Invite
Antonio Basco has invited the general public to Friday funeral for Margie Reckard, 63
- Antonio Basco lost his "angel" in the El Paso mass shooting , and now he's inviting the public to her funeral. Basco's wife, Margie Reckard, 63, was one of the 22 victims fatally shot in a Walmart earlier this month, and because Basco has no remaining family now...
Mexicans Were His Target,
El Paso Suspect Said: Police
Aug 9, 2019 4:29 PM CDT
Mexicans Were His Target, El Paso Suspect Said: Police
Court filing says he told officers he wanted to kill Mexicans
- "I'm the shooter," Patrick Crusius said, his hands up, when he was arrested Saturday after the mass shooting at a Walmart in El Paso. Police filed an affidavit Friday detailing the arrest. Crusius is charged with capital murder in the deaths of 22 people, the
Police Identify Armed Man
Arrested at Walmart
Aug 9, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Police Identify Armed Man Arrested at Walmart
It's still not clear what charges Dmitriy Andreychenko will face
- We now know the identity of the man who set off a scare at a Missouri Walmart by walking in with a tactical rifle. But little else—including his motive and any possible charges—remain unclear. On Friday, police identified the man as 20-year-old Dmitriy Andreychenko, reports the AP . He...
Tucker Carlson's Job Looks
Safe Amid New Controversy
Aug 9, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Tucker Carlson's Job Looks Safe Amid New Controversy
Fox host made controversial comments on white supremacy before leaving for vacation
- Fox News' Tucker Carlson is once again in the hot seat over controversial comments, and Carlson is now on vacation until Aug. 19 as critics ramp up calls for an advertiser boycott. The latest flap is Carlson's assertion, in the wake of the El Paso mass shooting , that white...
2 Opposing Takes
on Trump's El Paso Visit
Aug 8, 2019 8:19 AM CDT
2 Opposing Takes on Trump's El Paso Visit
Critic sees it as possible turning point against him, while supporter sees Democrats' hypocrisy
- President Trump's visits on Wednesday to El Paso and Dayton to meet with victims of the cities' mass shootings have led to polar-opposite reactions. Two examples:
New York Times
, El Paso native Richard Parker writes that Trump "seemed to shrink" in the city. "
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
High School Killer Gets Life
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.