Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
E. Jean Carroll
Trump's Deposition Reveals
an Oddly Confused Moment
Jan 19, 2023 7:45 AM CST
Trump's Deposition Reveals an Oddly Confused Moment
Former president mixes up accuser Carroll, ex-wife Maples in photo, undermining a defense claim
- Among the long-held claims former President Trump has wielded to deny he raped writer E. Jean Carroll in a department store in the 1990s is that he didn't know her and she's "not my type," suggesting he wouldn't have sexually assaulted someone he wasn't...
Jan 14, 2023 7:45 AM CST
Trump Rages Against Carroll in Unsealed Deposition
He calls writer who's sued him for defamation, sexual assault a 'nut job' who's 'mentally sick'
- In October, Donald Trump sat for a deposition at Mar-a-Lago with Roberta Kaplan, an attorney for magazine columnist E. Jean Carroll, who has accused the former president of raping her in a department store in the 1990s and sued him, for both that alleged sexual assault and defamation. Now, excerpts...
to Delay Lawsuit
Dec 21, 2022 6:35 PM CST
Judge Rejects Trump Request to Delay Lawsuit
E. Jean Carroll's rape accusation is scheduled for trial in April
- An April trial date was set Wednesday by a federal judge for a civil trial arising from a former columnist's claim that Donald Trump raped her in a department store dressing room in the mid-1990s. Judge Lewis Kaplan scheduled an April 17 trial after he rejected a request by...
E. Jean Carroll Sues Trump
Minutes After New Law Kicks In
Nov 24, 2022 5:27 AM CST
E. Jean Carroll Sues Trump Minutes After New Law Kicks In
The Adult Survivor’s Act temporarily lifted the state's usual deadlines
- A writer who accused former President Trump of rape filed an upgraded lawsuit against him Thursday in New York, minutes after a new state law took effect allowing victims of sexual violence to sue over attacks that occurred decades ago. E. Jean Carroll’s lawyer filed the legal papers electronically...
Lawyer: Trump Was 'Pleased
to Set Record Straight'
Oct 20, 2022 12:46 AM CDT
Lawyer: Trump Was 'Pleased to Set Record Straight'
He answered questions under oath in deposition lawsuit
: Former President Trump sat for a deposition Wednesday in the defamation lawsuit brought by writer E. Jean Carroll. The deposition was taken at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, CNN reports. Lawyers representing Carroll, who accuses Trump of raping her in a New York City department store in the...
Trump Lashes Out After
Order to Sit for Deposition
Oct 13, 2022 11:50 AM CDT
Trump Lashes Out After Order to Sit for Deposition
He calls nation's legal system a 'broken disgrace,' says rape accuser 'not his type'
: Former President Trump angrily lashed out Wednesday, calling the nation's legal system a "broken disgrace" after a judge ruled he must answer questions under oath next week in a defamation lawsuit lodged by a writer who says he raped her in the mid-1990s. Trump also called the...
Carroll's Lawyer Complains
Trump Is Stalling on Lawsuit
Oct 1, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
Carroll's Lawyer Complains Trump Is Stalling on Lawsuit
Depositions are scheduled next month in case springing from sexual assault accusation
- The deposition of former President Donald Trump in a defamation lawsuit filed against him by E. Jean Carroll is scheduled for Oct. 19, a court filing entered Friday in US District Court in New York shows. Trump's attorneys are to depose Carroll on Oct. 14, CBS News reports. The...
E. Jean Carroll: Thanks to New
Law, I'm Suing Trump Again
Sep 21, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
E. Jean Carroll: Thanks to New Law, I'm Suing Trump Again
Writer, who already has defamation suit against ex-president, will now file sexual battery complaint
- E. Jean Carroll says she'll take advantage of New York's new Adult Survivors Act to file a sexual battery lawsuit against former President Donald Trump, whom she claims raped her in a Manhattan department store dressing room in late 1995 or early 1996. The former
to Sue Accuser
Mar 11, 2022 3:30 PM CST
Judge Rips Trump Attempt to Sue Accuser
Filing against E. Jean Carroll has been a 'bad faith' attempt to delay, ruling says
- A federal judge rejected Donald Trump's attempt to countersue a woman who accuses him of raping her, giving the former president an earful Friday in the process. US District Judge Lewis Kaplan issued a 23-page ruling saying Trump's legal strategy has been executed in "bad faith,"...
DOJ Says Trump
Not Liable for
on E. Jean Carroll
Jun 8, 2021 2:24 AM CDT
DOJ Says Trump Not Liable for 'Crude' Comments on E. Jean Carroll
Justice Department lawyers want to replace former POTUS as defendant in lawsuit
- Former President Trump cannot be held personally liable for “crude" and “disrespectful” remarks he made while president about a woman who accused him of rape, Justice Department lawyers said Monday in arguing for him to be replaced by the United States as defendant in a defamation lawsuit. The...
Trump's Legal Strategy
in Rape Case Is Rejected
Oct 27, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Trump's Legal Strategy in Rape Case Is Rejected
Justice Department said US government, not Trump himself, should be defendant
- A federal judge on Tuesday denied President Trump's request that he be replaced as the defendant in a defamation lawsuit alleging he raped a woman in a Manhattan department store in the 1990s, per the AP . The decision by US District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan came after the Justice...
Moves to Help
Sep 9, 2020 2:08 AM CDT
Justice Dept. Moves to Help Trump With Accuser's Lawsuit
Or, as accuser E. Jean Carroll puts it, 'TRUMP HURLS BILL BARR AT ME'
- President Trump might be getting some help from the Justice Department with the lawsuit one of his accusers filed against him last year. E. Jean Carroll, who says Trump raped her at a Manhattan department store in the 1990s, sued him for defamation over his public denial of ever having...
Goes to Court
Jan 30, 2020 4:02 PM CST
Trump Accuser Goes to Court for President's DNA
E. Jean Carroll says a match with her dress would prove her case
- Lawyers for a woman who accuses President Trump of raping her in the 1990s asked Thursday for a DNA sample, seeking to determine whether his genetic material is on a dress she says she was wearing at the time. Advice columnist E. Jean Carroll’s lawyers served notice to a...
Judge Won't Halt
Trump Accuser's Lawsuit
Jan 10, 2020 8:11 AM CST
Judge Won't Halt Trump Accuser's Lawsuit
E. Jean Carroll celebrates as NY judge rejects motion to dismiss
- A judge has denied President Trump's motion to dismiss a defamation lawsuit brought by writer and accuser E. Jean Carroll. The president's lawyers argued he couldn't be sued in New York because his denial of Carroll's claim that he raped her in a Manhattan department store...
Nov 4, 2019 1:42 PM CST
Trump Accuser Files Suit
E. Jean Carroll accuses president of defamation after her assault claim
- A woman who accused President Trump of sexually assaulting her in the 1990s is now accusing him of defamation in a new lawsuit. E. Jean Carroll, perhaps best known as an advice columnist, filed the lawsuit Monday, reports the
. Earlier this year, Carroll published a memoir in which...
E. Jean Carroll Says She's
Now 'Exploring' Legal Action
Jul 16, 2019 5:30 PM CDT
E. Jean Carroll Says She's Now 'Exploring' Legal Action
Says people are telling her it would be smart to go after the president
- When E. Jean Carroll went public with her allegations against the president in June, she said she wouldn't be taking legal action and shared her thinking: "I would find it disrespectful to the women who are down on the border who are being raped around the clock down...
Go Public, Back Up
Jun 27, 2019 8:48 AM CDT
Friends of Trump Accuser Go Public, Back Up Her Account
Carol Martin and Lisa Birnbach talk to New York Times podcast
- In her book excerpt recounting an alleged sexual assault by President Trump, E. Jean Carroll wrote that she confided in two friends at the time about what happened. Now those two women have come forward publicly to corroborate her account in the
New York Times
, which also...
Jun 25, 2019 6:56 AM CDT
Trump on Rape Accuser: 'She's Not My Type'
He says E. Jean Carroll is 'totally lying'
- President Trump responded to E. Jean Carroll's rape accusation Monday with a strange choice of words: "She's not my type." In an Oval Office interview, the president told the
: "I'll say it with great respect: Number one, she's not my type. Number...
Trump Says He 'Never Met'
New Accuser. There's a Photo
Jun 22, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
Trump Says He 'Never Met' New Accuser. There's a Photo
Pic of Trump and columnist E. Jean Carroll, who says he sexually assaulted her in '90s, ran with her story
- A bombshell cover story in
magazine has forced a statement from President Trump, and in it he's denying sexually assaulting
columnist E. Jean Carroll in a Bergdorf Goodman dressing room more than 20 years ago. "I've never met this person in my life,"...
Popular on Newser
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
So Long, Midwest: Tornado Alley Has a New Favorite Target
Pam Anderson Isn't Who You Think She Is
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.