Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
FDA to Make Big Move
on Blood Donation Rules
Jan 27, 2023 1:00 PM CST
FDA to Make Big Move on Blood Donation Rules
No more automatic 3-month waiting for gay, bi men, per proposal
- A big change looks to be coming to the Food & Drug Administration's long-criticized guidelines for blood donors as it relates to the LGBTQ community. Bloomberg reports that the agency is seeking to ease its restrictions on gay and bisexual men, who, under the current policy, have had to...
Pink Floyd's Feting of Iconic
Album Sparks Controversy
Jan 21, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Pink Floyd's Feting of Iconic Album Sparks Controversy
New logo for 50th anniversary of 'Dark Side of the Moon' irks some fans suddenly mad about rainbows
- Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" turns 50 this year, and just as iconic as the album itself, which spent a jaw-dropping 18-plus years on the Billboard charts, is the cover art designed by British graphic designers Storm Thorgerson and Aubrey Powell. Widely considered one of the...
UK Uses 'Nuclear Option' to
Block Scottish Gender Reform
Jan 17, 2023 1:23 PM CST
UK Uses 'Nuclear Option' to Block Scottish Gender Reform
It creates a 'very, very slippery slope,' says Nicola Sturgeon, who promises legal fight
- The UK government has for the first time used the "nuclear option" to block legislation passed by the Scottish parliament, in this case a law that would allow people to self-identify as transgender. The move sets up a court battle over Scotland's right to make its own laws....
Makes Big Reveal on TikTok
Jan 6, 2023 11:07 AM CST
Schnapp Makes Big Reveal on TikTok
Actor, 18, who plays Will Byers on Netflix show says he's gay
- Over the summer, Noah Schnapp confirmed that Will Byers, the character he plays on Netflix's
, is gay. Now, in an instance of life imitating art, the 18-year-old actor reveals he's "more similar to Will than I thought"—i.e., he's gay in real...
Threats, Hate Hurled at LGBTQ
Community Spike Online
Dec 17, 2022 11:30 AM CST
Threats, Hate Hurled at LGBTQ Community Spike Online
'I don't think people understand the [state] of danger that we're living in right now'
- In the days after a gunman killed five people at a gay nightclub in Colorado last month, much of social media lit up with the now familiar expressions of grief, mourning, and disbelief. But on some online message boards and platforms, the tone was celebratory. “I love waking up...
Tearful Plea Against
Dec 10, 2022 8:30 AM CST
Nephew Slams GOP Lawmaker's Tearful Plea Against Gay Marriage
Andrew Hartzler's video goes viral for calling out 'Aunt Vicky' over Respect for Marriage Act vote
- A GOP congresswoman made a tearful plea this week to fellow House members to vote against the Respect for Marriage Act , which offers federal protections for same-sex and interracial marriages, and a response from a member of her own family has now gone viral. On Thursday, Rep. Vicky Hartzler of...
Rainbow Flag Appears on Pitch
Nov 28, 2022 6:55 PM CST
Rainbow Flag Appears on Pitch
World Cup protester's T-shirt referred to fighting in Ukraine, demonstrations in Iran
- Threats from FIFA have kept World Cup competitors from wearing rainbow armbands , but the rainbow flag made an appearance anyway during a match Monday. A man waving the flag ran across the pitch in the second half of the Portugal-Uruguay game, AFP reports, for about 30 seconds before security employees...
Russian Duma Approves
Move Against LGBTQ Rights
Nov 24, 2022 3:55 PM CST
Russian Duma Approves Move Against LGBTQ Rights
Legislation prohibits 'gay propaganda' in ads, art
- Russian lawmakers on Thursday gave their final approval to a bill that significantly expands restrictions on activities seen as promoting gay rights in the country, another step in a yearslong crackdown on the country's embattled LGBTQ community. The new bill expands a ban on what authorities call "propaganda...
Team Pushes Back at FIFA:
Human Rights 'Non-Negotiable'
Nov 23, 2022 11:10 AM CST
Team Pushes Back at FIFA: Human Rights 'Non-Negotiable'
German Football Association protests after armband ban at World Cup in anti-gay Qatar
- The captains of at least seven World Cup teams planned to wear rainbow armbands in support of LGBTQ+ rights during matches in Qatar, where homosexuality is illegal , before FIFA threatened sanctions. Told the captains would receive yellow cards for the infraction or be removed from the field, per
One State Hits Milestone
on LGBTQ Representation
Nov 22, 2022 12:38 PM CST
One State Hits Milestone on LGBTQ Representation
10% of California's legislature identifies as such, a first for the nation
- While LGBTQ candidates and their supporters celebrated several milestone victories around the nation in this year's midterms, California quietly reached its own: At least 10% of its state lawmakers identify publicly as LGBTQ, believed to be a first for any US legislature. The California legislators are all Democrats, per...
Journalist Says Qatar
Stopped Him Over
His Rainbow Shirt
Nov 21, 2022 6:55 PM CST
Journalist Says Qatar Stopped Him Over His Rainbow Shirt
Grant Wahl was told before US-Wales match it was for his own protection
- A CBS Sports writer said security employees in Qatar detained him Monday when he wore a rainbow shirt to the US-Wales World Cup match. A security guard told him the shirt was prohibited, said Grant Wahl, who wore it in a display of support for LGBTQ+ people, the
Patrons Thought Club
Was a Safe Space
Nov 20, 2022 5:10 PM CST
Patrons Thought Club Was a Safe Space
'I lost friends,' one witness says after mass shooting
- Witnesses, patrons and President Biden said Sunday that the LGBTQ nightclub attacked by a mass shooter was supposed to be a safe space. Instead, five people in the Colorado Springs club were shot to death and at least 25 wounded, CBS News reports. Police said a 22-year-old male suspect, who...
Mormon Church Makes 'Unexpected'
Move on Gay Marriage
Nov 16, 2022 8:40 AM CST
Mormon Church Makes 'Unexpected' Move on Gay Marriage
Church will get behind legislation on same-sex marriage, as long as religious rights are protected
- Federal legislation designed to protect gay marriage rights has a somewhat surprising new supporter: the Mormon church. On Tuesday, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said it will get behind the bipartisan Respect for Marriage Act , after senators worked out an amendment that would protect how religious groups...
Dwyane Wade Battles Ex Over
Trans Daughter's Gender Shift
Nov 4, 2022 8:20 AM CDT
Dwyane Wade Battles Ex Over Trans Daughter's Gender Shift
Siohvaughn Funches-Wade trying to block 15-year-old Zaya's name, gender change in court
- Over the summer, Dwyane Wade filed papers to legally change his transgender daughter's name and assigned gender, after many years of he and current wife, actress Gabrielle Union, speaking out about their support for 15-year-old Zaya's gender identity (Union is her stepmother). Now, his ex-wife is trying to...
Radcliffe on Rowling: 'I Needed
to Say Something When I Did'
Nov 2, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Radcliffe on Rowling: 'I Needed to Say Something When I Did'
'Harry Potter' actor comments on 'hurt' fans after author's remarks; Tom Felton weighs in, too
- In June 2020,
author JK Rowling posted a series of transphobic comments on Twitter—remarks she's only doubled down on since, per
. Her remarks led Daniel Radcliffe, the actor who played Harry Potter himself in the hit movie franchise, to publish an open letter on gender...
You No Longer Have to Guess
at Velma's Sexual Orientation
in case you missed it
Oct 9, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
You No Longer Have to Guess at Velma's Sexual Orientation
'Scooby-Doo' character crushes hard on a woman in new Halloween flick
- The sexual orientation of
character Velma Dinkley has been as hot a topic as that of any actual celebrity—and perhaps more so, given that fans haven't received clear confirmation of their suspicions for "generations," per Deadline —until now. In the animated HBO Max flick...
Virgin Atlantic's Uniform Update
Lets Crew Show 'True Identity'
Sep 28, 2022 11:24 AM CDT
Virgin Atlantic's Uniform Update Lets Crew Show 'True Identity'
Virgin Atlantic introduces gender-neutral skirts/trousers
- Airlines are known for their often-rigid rules around the uniforms their crew members wear, often leading to complaints that the garb is impractical, uncomfortable, and outdated. Virgin Atlantic is now attempting to remedy the "outdated" part by releasing a new policy that gets rid of "gendered uniform" requirements...
Sep 17, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Youngkin Policy for Transgender Students Upends Northam's
Teachers can't be made to call students by name, pronouns of choice: draft of revamped guidelines
- A new draft for "model policies" within Virginia's public schools was released Friday, designed to replace those put in place in 2021 by former Gov. Ralph Northam for transgender and nonbinary students. Per WRIC , the new guidelines from the state's Department of Education under GOP Gov. Glenn...
Carlson's 'Lunatic' Slam Helps
Maren Morris Raise $100K
Sep 5, 2022 7:37 AM CDT
Carlson's 'Lunatic' Slam Helps Maren Morris Raise $100K
Singer brought in the cash for trans groups after Fox host insulted her amid Brittany Aldean feud
- In a big "when life hands you lemons" move, Maren Morris has turned a feud with another performer's wife and a slam by Fox News' Tucker Carlson into a lucrative fundraiser for transgender rights.
walks back the timeline, noting that Brittany Aldean, an influencer and the spouse...
This Nation Just Nixed a
Huge LGBTQ Event in Europe
Aug 27, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
This Nation Just Nixed a Huge LGBTQ Event in Europe
Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic says his nation can't host EuroPride due to extremist threats
- Serbia won't allow a pan-European LGBTQ Pride event to take place in Belgrade next month, the president said Saturday, citing threats from right-wing extremists and fears of clashes. Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic announced the decision to cancel the Sept. 12-18 EuroPride celebration during a news conference, in which he...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.