Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trump Probe Into Russia
Investigation Yields Little
Jan 27, 2023 11:50 AM CST
Trump Probe Into Russia Investigation Yields Little
'NYT' finds investigation relied on dubious intelligence, as critics claimed of the Russia probe
- Then-attorney general Bill Barr ordered an investigation into the handling of the Trump-Russia investigation in 2019, saying he wanted to know if "officials abused their power and put their thumb on the scale" in pursuing what critics called a "witch hunt." A year later, he stated "...
Bill Barr: Special Master
Decision Was 'Deeply Flawed'
Sep 7, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Bill Barr: Special Master Decision Was 'Deeply Flawed'
Former attorney general says government should appeal it
- Bill Barr, already the subject of Donald Trump's ire because the Trump-era attorney general doesn't think the 2020 election was rigged, is now making no secret of his disagreement with a judge's decision to grant Trump's request to appoint a special master to review the documents...
Barr: I Thought Trump Was
'Detached From Reality'
Jun 13, 2022 1:02 PM CDT
Barr: I Thought Trump Was 'Detached From Reality'
AG was 'demoralized' by former president's embrace of conspiracy theories
- One of the biggest lines in Day Two of the Jan. 6 committee hearings came in video testimony from former Attorney General William Barr, who said he thought then-President Donald Trump had become "detached from reality" as he continued to push election conspiracy theories despite having been assured that...
Barr: I Don't
Want to Vote
but I Would
Mar 7, 2022 11:43 AM CST
Barr: I Don't Want to Vote for Trump, but I Would
Former attorney general says he can't imagine not voting for whoever the GOP nominee is
- William Barr has lots of unflattering things to say about Donald Trump in his new memoir, but that doesn't mean the former attorney general wouldn't vote for Trump should he run again. In an appearance on the
show Monday, Barr first made clear that he doesn't...
William Barr to GOP:
Time to Let Trump Go
Feb 28, 2022 8:29 AM CST
William Barr to GOP: Time to Let Trump Go
Former attorney general slams his former boss in new memoir as unfit to lead
- The latest book on the presidency of Donald Trump comes from an inside source, and it surely won't please Trump. Former Attorney General William Barr's soon-to-be-released memoir is called
One Damn Thing After Another
, and various outlets are highlighting passages in which Barr lays into his former boss...
Order Invoking Insurrection Act
Was Prepared for Trump
Jun 26, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Order Invoking Insurrection Act Was Prepared for Trump
Former president denies wanting to use active-duty troops against protesters
- As protesters near the White House demonstrated against the killing of George Floyd last summer, aides were preparing a proclamation allowing President Trump to put active-duty US troops on the streets of the capital. The document was drafted after an angry Trump told the attorney general and military leaders he...
by Barr, Sessions
Jun 16, 2021 5:45 PM CDT
Garland Tosses Asylum Opinions by Barr, Sessions
Immigration judge should drop the old rules, attorney general says
- Attorney General Merrick Garland moved Wednesday to undo a pair of immigration decisions by Jeff Sessions and Bill Barr. The opinions by Garland's predecessors put limits on who could qualify for asylum by claiming to be a persecuted member of a "particular social group," the Hill reports,...
Emails Show Trump's
Big Push to Overturn Election
Jun 15, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
Emails Show Trump's Big Push to Overturn Election
Former president pressured top Justice Department officials to hold up results
- A newly released batch of emails show that former President Trump and top aides were using all the leverage of the White House in their late-hour push to block the results of the 2020 election. Specifically, Trump and chief of staff Mark Meadows pleaded with Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen—...
Jun 11, 2021 2:21 PM CDT
Apple Reveals Unusual Move by Trump's White House
Justice Department subpoenaed data from at least 2 prominent Democrats
- "Leakers are traitors and cowards, and we will find out who they are!" So declared then-President Trump in 2018, notes Matt Stieb at
. Now, a scoop by the
New York Times
reveals the unusual lengths to which the Trump White House went to make good on...
May 5, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Judge Orders Trump Obstruction Memo Released
Justice Department has until May 17 to file any motion to stay the order
- A federal judge has ordered the release of a legal memorandum the Trump-era Justice Department prepared for then-Attorney General William Barr before he announced his conclusion that then-President Trump had not obstructed justice during the Russia investigation, the AP reports. The Justice Department had refused to give the March 24,...
For Barr, Lockerbie Charges
End a 30-Year Mission
Dec 21, 2020 11:45 AM CST
For Barr, Lockerbie Charges End a 30-Year Mission
Attorney general announces charges against Libyan bombmaker
- The Justice Department announced new charges Monday against a Libyan bombmaker in the 1988 explosion of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, an attack that killed 259 people in the air and 11 on the ground, per the AP . The charges were announced on the 32nd anniversary of the...
New Statements by Outgoing
Barr Won't Please Trump
Dec 21, 2020 11:00 AM CST
New Statements by Outgoing Barr Won't Please Trump
Attorney general says no need for special counsels on election fraud or Hunter Biden
- William Barr's last day as attorney general is Wednesday, and he's going out in a way that surely won't please President Trump. In a news conference Monday, Barr said he saw no reason to appoint a special counsel to investigate claims of election fraud or the business...
32 Years Later, New Charges
to Come in Lockerbie Attack
Dec 16, 2020 5:04 PM CST
32 Years Later, New Charges to Come in Lockerbie Attack
Abu Agila Mohammad Masud is the suspected bombmaker
- New charges are expected to be unsealed in coming days in connection to the 1988 bombing of Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, the
New York Times
reports. US prosecutors are expected to seek the extradition of Abu Agila Mohammad Masud, a Libyan suspected of making the explosive that...
Trump Says Barr Has Resigned
Dec 14, 2020 5:12 PM CST
Trump Says Barr Has Resigned
'He has done an outstanding job!'
- Minutes after California's Electoral College votes made President-elect Joe Biden's victory official , President Trump made a big announcement—but it wasn't a concession. Trump said Attorney General William Barr has resigned and will be leaving his administration as of Dec. 23, reports Reuters . "Just had a...
Report Won't Help Relations
Between Trump, Barr
Dec 11, 2020 12:34 PM CST
Report Won't Help Relations Between Trump, Barr
AG resisted pressure to reveal Hunter Biden investigations before election: WSJ
- This isn't likely to make President Trump any friendlier toward his attorney general: The
Wall Street Journal
reports William Barr knew about multiple investigations into Hunter Biden's finances since at least spring "and worked to avoid their public disclosure during the heated election campaign." Trump again...
Trump May Have One More
Attorney General This Term
Dec 7, 2020 6:22 AM CST
Trump May Have One More Attorney General This Term
3 outlets say William Barr is considering resigning before Jan. 20
- It's looking more and more likely that William Barr will not serve out the end of President Trump's term as attorney general. Last week, reports emerged that Trump was "livid" with Barr after the attorney general announced he had found no evidence of widespread election fraud. On...
Bill Barr May Be Out Sooner
Than the Inauguration
Dec 3, 2020 1:20 PM CST
Bill Barr May Be Out Sooner Than the Inauguration
Reports say president is furious with AG over inaction in John Durham's investigation
- William Barr's days as attorney general may be numbered, and not just because Inauguration Day approaches. Multiple outlets are reporting that President Trump is furious with Barr, one of his most loyal Cabinet officials, and may fire him before leaving office. Coverage:
What Trump says:
The president could have
Barr Breaks With Trump
on Election Fraud Claims
Dec 1, 2020 3:05 PM CST
Barr Breaks With Trump on Election Fraud Claims
'We have not seen fraud on a scale' that would change the outcome, he says
- Attorney General William Barr is known for his loyalty to President Trump—but he's not backing the president up on his claims of widespread election fraud. Barr says FBI agents and US attorneys have been following up allegations of irregularities, but they haven't uncovered anything that would change...
Lawyers for Death
We Got COVID
Due to Bill Barr
Nov 16, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Lawyers for Death Row Inmate: We Got COVID Due to Bill Barr
Lisa Montgomery's attorneys: Surprise execution date set during pandemic forced us to travel
- Two attorneys for a female death-row inmate are blasting Attorney General Bill Barr, saying they contracted COVID-19 because he "recklessly" put their client's execution on the calendar for next month, all while the pandemic is still raging. In a lawsuit filed on behalf of Lisa Montgomery against the...
Barr's Memo to Prosecutors on
Election Fraud Is Controversial
Nov 10, 2020 6:52 AM CST
Barr's Memo to Prosecutors on Election Fraud Is Controversial
He tells DOJ to go ahead and probe election fraud claims
- Attorney General William Barr has authorized federal prosecutors across the US to pursue “substantial allegations” of voting irregularities, if they exist, before the 2020 presidential election is certified, despite no evidence of widespread fraud. Barr’s action comes days after Joe Biden defeated President Trump and raises the prospect...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.