Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Is in the
Aug 8, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Another K-Pop Star Is in the Army Now
BTS' Suga begins his mandatory military service in South Korea
- A third member of K-pop group BTS has begun his compulsory military service in South Korea. Following the enlistment of Jin, the group's eldest member, in December, a second member, J-Hope, followed suit in April. Now it's Suga's turn, the AP reports. "We would like to...
BTS Is Headed to the Army Now
Oct 17, 2022 8:47 AM CDT
BTS Is Headed to the Army Now
K-pop stars to fulfill mandatory military service, likely won't reconvene till 2025, reps say
- BTS fans knew it was only a matter of time, though they'd crossed their fingers for some kind of last-minute dispensation. On Monday, reps from BigHit Music officially announced that all seven members of the South Korean supergroup have agreed to fulfill their mandatory military service, putting an end...
BTS Is Taking a Break. There's
More Than Music at Stake
Jun 20, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
BTS Is Taking a Break. There's More Than Music at Stake
K-pop group's break, which it says is temporary, spurs debate in Korea on conscription, activism
- The surprise announcement by BTS last week that they were taking a break to focus on members' solo projects stunned their global fan base, shaking their label's stock price and leaving many questions about the K-pop supergroup's future. HYBE, the company behind the band, denied the group was...
K-Pop Superstars Test
Positive For COVID
Dec 26, 2021 7:30 AM CST
K-Pop Superstars Test Positive For COVID
BTS heartthrobs RM, Jin, and Suga were all vaccinated
- Three members of the K-pop superstar group BTS have been infected with the coronavirus after returning from abroad, their management agency said. RM and Jin were diagnosed with COVID-19 on Saturday evening, the Big Hit Music agency said in a statement, per the AP . It earlier said another member, Suga,...
BTS Wins Big at AMAs: 'This
Whole Thing Is a Miracle'
Nov 22, 2021 7:18 AM CST
BTS Wins Big at AMAs: 'This Whole Thing Is a Miracle'
Big night for South Korean boy band at American Music Awards, including first artist of the year win
- South Korean superstars BTS were crowned artist of the year at the American Music Awards on Sunday, brushing aside challenges from Taylor Swift, Drake, and The Weeknd as they took home a total of three awards, teamed up with Coldplay for a raucous " My Universe," and closed the...
K-Pop Stars Address
UN General Assembly
Sep 20, 2021 4:51 PM CDT
K-Pop Stars Address UN General Assembly
BTS members spoke at sustainability event
- It was a United Nations speech that got attention like few others—a plug for vaccines, young people, and the earth's well-being from superstar K-pop band BTS. Addressing the stage for a sustainability event, the seven-member musical juggernaut appeared before the renowned green-marbled backdrop in the General Assembly hall...
That Cloud Hanging Over BTS?
South Korea Just Removed It
Dec 1, 2020 9:55 AM CST
That Cloud Hanging Over BTS? South Korea Just Removed It
With law change, member can delay military service for 2 more years
- Friday marks Kim Seok-jin's 28th birthday. It could've also marked the splintering of K-pop sensation BTS, of which Kim (stage name Jin) is the oldest member, since able-bodied men in South Korea must submit to military service by age 28. But no matter—South Korea has changed its...
Some Fans Don't Like 'History
of Pain' Comment by BTS
Oct 12, 2020 4:27 PM CDT
Some Fans Don't Like 'History of Pain' Comment by BTS
Chinese fans whose troops fought against South Korea and US see a lack of respect
- When BTS received an award last week recognizing the ties between the US and South Korea, its leader acknowledged the nations' joint sacrifices 70 years ago during the Korean War. "We will always remember the history of pain that our two nations shared together and the sacrifices of countless...
As Investors Scoop Up Shares,
One Thing Looms Over BTS
Oct 6, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
As Investors Scoop Up Shares, One Thing Looms Over BTS
K-pop group's star is rising—but military service awaits
- Ordinary investors got a shot at shares in the management agency of K-pop sensation BTS on Monday and Tuesday. And they didn't hold back, requesting 58.4 trillion won worth—the equivalent of $50.2 billion. As AFP reports, that's 607 times more than the value of the...
This Boy Band Is About
to Get Very Rich
Sep 29, 2020 1:07 PM CDT
This Boy Band Is About to Get Very Rich
IPO will make members of K-pop group BTS multi-millionaires
- All seven members of K-pop sensation BTS are about to become multi-millionaires. The band's label, Big Hit Entertainment, plans to go public on Oct. 15 with a market valuation of $4.1 billion—making this South Korea's largest IPO in three years, per the
. The BBC...
This New Music Video Is
Smashing YouTube Records
Aug 21, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
This New Music Video Is Smashing YouTube Records
K-pop sensation BTS is racking up millions of views per hour for 'Dynamite'
- The South Korean K-pop group BTS has dropped its first all-English song and video on YouTube, with record-breaking results. The minute "Dynamite" debuted, somewhere between 3 million and 4 million viewers were watching it concurrently, which could wind up being double the previous record, reports
. The old mark...
K-Pop Band's Fans Respond in
Big Way to $1M BLM Donation
Jun 8, 2020 1:35 PM CDT
K-Pop Band's Fans Respond in Big Way to $1M BLM Donation
BTS fans match boy band's Black Lives Matter donation
- K-Pop superstars BTS announced a $1 million donation to Black Lives Matter on Saturday—and it didn't take long for the boy band's devoted fans to match it. The "ARMY" fan collective, which spread the word under the #MatchAMillion hashtag, said its campaign had raised $1 million...
Celeb Most Tweeted About
in US Isn't American
Dec 6, 2018 12:05 PM CST
Celeb Most Tweeted About in US Isn't American
K-Pop band BTS nabs most mentions in 2018
- Twitter data once again shows that South Korean boy band BTS is indeed a "global phenomenon," per
. Year-end stats released by the site identify the K-Pop group as the most tweeted about celeb in the US for a second year in a row. One individual member also...
K-Pop Band Member
Accused of Wearing
Nov 9, 2018 11:00 AM CST
K-Pop Band Member Accused of Wearing Controversial T-Shirt
BTS' Jimin allegedly wore shirt celebrating mushroom cloud over Japanese city in WWII
- A popular South Korean boy band was set to appear on one of Japan's biggest TV stations this week, but that appearance has been canceled due to a clothing choice one of its members may have made. Per the
and CNN , K-pop group BTS was scheduled to be...
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Woman Swept Into Ocean From Popular Washington Beach
Gunmen Open Fire on Teens, Killing 3, Over Old Grievance
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.