Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Tree of Life shooting
Sep 29, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Judah Samet Survived Bergen-Belsen, Mass Shooting
After 'Schindler's List,' he decided to tell his story
- Judah Samet, a Holocaust survivor who narrowly escaped a shooting rampage at a Pittsburgh synagogue in 2018, died Tuesday. He was 84. Samet, who survived the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in World War II, was running a few minutes late for services at the Tree of Life of Life synagogue and...
At American Synagogues,
a New Normal Takes Shape
Jan 18, 2022 8:39 AM CST
At American Synagogues, a New Normal Takes Shape
Armed guards, traffic barriers, safety training
- Will there be copycats? That is the "palpable fear" at synagogues around the country after the hostage-taking in Texas over the weekend, an exec with the Jewish Community Relations Council of New York tells the
New York Times
. Mitchell D. Silber adds a jarring observation: “More and more,...
Paper's Pulitzer Prize
Money Goes to Perfect Cause
Sep 6, 2019 9:32 AM CDT
Paper's Pulitzer Prize Money Goes to Perfect Cause
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette gives the $15K to Tree of Life synagogue, site of shooting it covered
won't see any of the prize money from its breaking news Pulitzer , awarded for its coverage of the October shooting at Pittsburgh's Tree of Life synagogue. That's because the $15,000 will go directly to the synagogue itself, based on a suggestion by publisher...
2 Separate Massacres,
2 Acts of Kindness
Out of Pittsburgh
Mar 18, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
2 Separate Massacres, 2 Acts of Kindness Out of Pittsburgh
Jewish group fundraises for NZ mosque victims after Muslims did the same for Tree of Life victims
- When the Tree of Life synagogue shooting took place last October, killing 11, Muslims in the Pittsburgh area rallied to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for the victims and their families. Now, in the wake of the massacre at two Muslim mosques in New Zealand that has taken the...
Plea in Synagogue
Feb 11, 2019 10:30 AM CST
Suspect Enters Plea in Synagogue Shooting
Robert Bowers tells federal court that he is not guilty
- A truck driver accused of killing 11 people and wounding seven during an attack on a Pittsburgh synagogue has pleaded not guilty to a new indictment that added 19 additional counts. Forty-six-year-old Robert Bowers was in federal court Monday to enter his plea, reports the AP . His attorney, Judy Clarke,...
He Yelled 'Death
to All Jews.' Then
a Jewish Nurse
Nov 5, 2018 7:11 AM CST
He Yelled 'Death to All Jews.' Then a Jewish Nurse Treated Him
Ari Mahler describes the 'empathy' he decided to show a wounded Robert Bowers
- An Allegheny General Hospital nurse who treated Robert Bowers, the man suspected of killing 11 at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, after the shooting has stepped forward via a public Facebook post , and he clarifies his identity: "I am The Jewish Nurse." His name is Ari...
Oct 31, 2018 2:47 PM CDT
Alleged Synagogue Shooter Indicted
He faces hate crimes charges
- The suspect in the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre was indicted by a federal grand jury Wednesday, four days after 11 people were killed in the deadliest attack on Jews in American history. The indictment, which was expected, charges Robert Bowers with 44 counts, including hate crimes, the AP reports. Federal prosecutors...
Trump Visit to Synagogue
Oct 31, 2018 1:43 AM CDT
Thousands Protest Trump Visit to Synagogue
First couple paid their respects to victims of worst US anti-Semitic massacre
- President Trump and Melania Trump made a controversial visit to Pittsburgh on Tuesday to pay their respects to the 11 people killed in Saturday's synagogue mass shooting. The visit was opposed by local officials, including Democratic Mayor Bill Peduto, but not by Rabbi Jeffrey Myers, who led them inside...
Mike Pence Causes Outrage
With 'Christian Rabbi'
Oct 30, 2018 6:48 AM CDT
Mike Pence Causes Outrage With 'Christian Rabbi'
Alleged shooter appears in court in wheelchair
- Mike Pence is taking flak for what critics say was an extremely insensitive choice of rabbi at a campaign event Monday night. The vice president invited Rabbi Loren Jacobs to the stage at the event in suburban Detroit to offer a prayer for victims of the Pittsburgh mass shooting, and...
Delayed by Just 4 Minutes,
'I Survived the Second Time'
Oct 29, 2018 12:26 PM CDT
Delayed by Just 4 Minutes, 'I Survived the Second Time'
Holocaust survivor Judah Samet describes Tree of Life synagogue shooting
- Judah Samet arrived at Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh at 9:49am Saturday, delayed four minutes because of a conversation with his housekeeper. Those four minutes likely saved the 80-year-old's life. "If I was inside the synagogue, I would be in the line of fire," Samet...
Muslims Quickly Raise
Money for Synagogue Victims
Oct 29, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
Muslims Quickly Raise Money for Synagogue Victims
The total has surpassed $100K
- In the immediate aftermath of the synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh, two Muslim nonprofit groups set out to raise $25,000 for victims on the crowdfunding site LaunchGood . They passed that goal within six hours, reports the
Times of Israel
. In fact, as of Monday morning, the groups CelebrateMercy and MPower...
Campbell Soup Exec Gone
After Soros Conspiracy Theory
Oct 29, 2018 9:34 AM CDT
Campbell Soup Exec Gone After Soros Conspiracy Theory
Idea that billionaire is funding migrant caravan might be fueling rampages
- George Soros received one of the mail bombs sent to prominent figures on the left last week, and it's not surprising he would show up on such a mailing list: He's the topic of numerous conspiracy theories from his political opponents. Now, however, one conspiracy theory in particular—...
Rabbi Had Phone on Him
Because of Recent Training
Oct 29, 2018 7:31 AM CDT
Rabbi Had Phone on Him Because of Recent Training
Rabbi Jeffrey Myers had been advised to do so in August
- A rabbi who helped alert authorities to the synagogue shooting that killed 11 people says it was because of recent security training that he had a cellphone on him and was able to make the call. Rabbi Jeffrey Myers of the Tree of Life in Pittsburgh said Monday on ABC'...
'Not Welcome:' Jewish Group
Demands Trump Make a Move
Oct 29, 2018 7:02 AM CDT
'Not Welcome:' Jewish Group Demands Trump Make a Move
Open letter calls on Trump to denounce white nationalism or stay out of Pittsburgh
- President Trump denounced the synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh as "pure evil" and an "assault on humanity." Not good enough, say the leaders of a Jewish group in the city: In an open letter , they demand that Trump denounce white nationalism or skip his planned trip to Pittsburgh,...
Exploited a 'Vulnerability'
Oct 28, 2018 6:48 AM CDT
Synagogue Shooter Exploited a 'Vulnerability'
Door was unlocked on Saturdays only at Tree of Life synagogue
- The Anti-Defamation League says the shooting at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh is thought to be the deadliest attack specifically targeting Jews ever in the US—by far. CNN reports the previous attack to have that label occurred in 1985, when Seattle lawyer Charles Goldmark, his wife, and...
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.