Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Deputy Sentenced to 18 Years
in Drowning of 2 Detainees
May 20, 2022 4:02 AM CDT
Deputy Sentenced to 18 Years in Drowning of 2 Detainees
Women were trapped in back of van after Stephen Flood tried to drive through water
- A former deputy in South Carolina who ignored supervisors' suggestions of alternate routes and tried to drive through floodwaters has been found guilty on all charges in the deaths of two women trapped in the back of a sheriff's department van. Stephen Flood, 70, was sentenced to 18 years...
Deputies to Be Charged
in Hurricane Drowning Deaths
Jan 4, 2019 6:40 AM CST
Deputies to Be Charged in Hurricane Drowning Deaths
Mental health patients died locked in van
- Two former law enforcement officers in South Carolina are going to face criminal charges in the disturbing deaths of two mental health patients who drowned during Hurricane Florence . Nicolette Green and Wendy Newton died in the back of the sheriff's van they were being transported to a mental hospital...
Mom Whose Baby Drowned
in Hurricane Charged
Oct 31, 2018 8:07 AM CDT
Mom Whose Baby Drowned in Hurricane Charged With Manslaughter
North Carolina authorities say Dazia Lee ignored barricades on closed road after Hurricane Florence
- "I did everything I could as a parent to save him and protect him." That was the initial emotional statement given by Dazia Lee to the media after her 1-year-old son, Kaiden Lee-Welch, drowned while the two tried to flee surging North Carolina floodwaters in the wake of...
Dog Spent a Week on a Floating
Couch in Flooded House
Oct 3, 2018 5:31 PM CDT
Dog Spent a Week on a Floating Couch in Flooded House
After three attempts, rescuers found Soshe the dog
- A bright spot in the aftermath of Hurricane Florence : A dog name Soshe will be reunited with her owner after being trapped in a flooded house in Pender, NC, for almost a week,
reports. Soshe's owner, stuck in another city, got in touch with the Humane Society of...
Woman Helps Save 27 Animals
After Florence, Gets Busted
Sep 24, 2018 9:45 AM CDT
Woman Helps Save 27 Animals After Florence, Gets Busted
Tammie Hedges was charged with administering antibiotics to sick animals in temporary shelter
- A North Carolina woman who runs an animal rescue nonprofit took in dozens of abandoned cats and dogs in the wake of Hurricane Florence, cleaning their wounds and giving them antibiotics to help them heal. On Friday, however, Tammie Hedges was arrested, with Wayne County officials accusing her of being...
5.5K Pigs in NC,
Sep 19, 2018 9:04 AM CDT
Florence Killed 5.5K Pigs in NC, Spewed Manure
3.4M chickens and turkeys also perished
- Hurricane Florence unleashed torrential rain, dangerous wind gusts, and now a new environmental hazard in North Carolina: the overflowing of its hog manure lagoons—and it's "nasty," per the
New York Times
. Many of North Carolina's nearly 10 million pigs are located on large-scale farms...
Female Detainees Drown
After Van Swept Away in SC
Sep 19, 2018 2:14 AM CDT
Female Detainees Drown After Van Swept Away in SC
2 deputies in vehicle survived
- Two female mental health patients detained for medical transport drowned Tuesday night when a sheriff's department van was swept away in rising South Carolina flood waters, authorities say. Horry County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Brooke Holden says a sheriff's office van was carrying two detainees and two deputies...
Calls Out Trump Jr.
for 'Idiotic' Tweet
Sep 18, 2018 7:11 AM CDT
Anderson Cooper Calls Out Trump Jr. for 'Idiotic' Tweet
CNN host says president's son spread conspiracy theory about his hurricane coverage
- Anderson Cooper is taking exception to criticism of his hurricane coverage and took 10 minutes of his show Monday to call out the most prominent of those accusing him of "fake news," the
reports. "I rarely respond to online conspiracy theorists," Cooper noted on
Where Hurricane Florence
Stacks Up in Terms of Rainfall
Sep 18, 2018 6:03 AM CDT
Where Hurricane Florence Stacks Up in Terms of Rainfall
It's not No. 1
- Florence itself is finally out of the Carolinas, though flooding dangers are nowhere near done. Wilmington, NC, for example, remains essentially cut off from the rest of the state , though large military trucks and helicopters were able to provide some relief to those stuck in the city, which is normally...
FEMA Chief Brock Long
Could Face Federal Charges
Sep 17, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
FEMA Chief Brock Long Could Face Federal Charges
Investigators want to know if he misused taxpayer money
- A probe into President Trump's FEMA chief has been referred to prosecutors. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that it's now up to them to decide whether federal criminal charges will be brought against Brock Long, who potentially broke "multiple laws" when he and two officials took...
Body of 1-Year-Old
Swept Away in Flood Is Found
Sep 17, 2018 12:30 PM CDT
Body of 1-Year-Old Swept Away in Flood Is Found
Police say mother drove around barricades on flooded road
- A 1-year-old boy was killed Sunday night when he was swept away in Hurricane Florence's rushing flood waters. The mother of Kaiden Lee-Welch was driving near Charlotte, NC, and drove around barricades to attempt to get through a flooded section of road, the Union County Sheriff's Office said...
NC Has an Unwanted Island
Sep 17, 2018 5:03 AM CDT
NC Has an Unwanted Island
Wilmington is temporarily cut off, needs airlifts of supplies amid flooding from Florence
- With Wilmington cut off from the rest of North Carolina by still-rising floodwaters from Florence, officials plan to airlift food and water to a city of nearly 120,000 people as rescuers elsewhere pull inland residents from homes threatened by swollen rivers, the AP reports. The spreading disaster claimed additional...
SC Couple Died Running
Generator Inside House
Sep 16, 2018 9:03 AM CDT
SC Couple Died Running Generator Inside House
Death toll at 13, as National Hurricane Center warns of 'catastrophic' flooding
- A South Carolina couple died not from the wrath of Florence, but rather from carbon monoxide poisoning after running a generator inside their home, reports the AP . Horry County Chief Deputy Coroner Tamara Willard said 63-year-old Mark Carter King and 61-year-old Debra Collins Rion were found in a Loris home...
FEMA Chief Nearly Got
Fired as Hurricane Brewed
Sep 15, 2018 2:37 PM CDT
FEMA Chief Nearly Got Fired as Hurricane Brewed
Probe into Brock Long looks at travel expenses and other issues
- With Hurricane Florence rolling in, FEMA Administrator Brock Long was close to getting fired—and still could be, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Investigators working for the Department of Homeland Security inspector general have already warned the White House about Long taking a caravan of federal workers on his trips...
First Deaths Reported
From Hurricane Florence
Sep 14, 2018 2:53 PM CDT
First Deaths Reported From Hurricane Florence
Mother and infant were killed when a tree fell on their home in North Carolina
- A mother and infant were killed Friday when a tree fell on their home in Wilmington, North Carolina, making them two of the first fatalities connected to Hurricane Florence, Fox News reports. In a tweet announcing the deaths, police also said that the father was taken to a hospital with...
Florence Barely Moving,
and That's Bad News
Sep 14, 2018 11:53 AM CDT
Florence Barely Moving, and That's Bad News
Storm moving at 3mph, which means hours and hours of rain for the Carolinas
- Hurricane Florence lumbered ashore in North Carolina with howling 90mph winds and terrifying storm surge Friday, splintering buildings and trapping hundreds of people in high water as it settled in for what could be a long and extraordinarily destructive drenching, per the AP . More than 60 people had to be...
NC Ignored Scientists'
Warning About Sea Levels
Sep 14, 2018 9:15 AM CDT
NC Ignored Scientists' Warning About Sea Levels
Law in 2012 ordered agencies to ignore scientific models, favor development
- Back in 2012, a new law in North Carolina caused Stephen Colbert to do a double-take: "If your science gives you a result you don't like, pass a law saying the result is illegal," he said at the time. "Problem solved." That law is now...
As Florence Plows Into NC,
Hundreds Rescued From
Sep 14, 2018 6:30 AM CDT
As Florence Plows Into NC, Hundreds Rescued From 'Catastrophic' Floods
70 saved from hotel in danger of collapse
- Newly downgraded to a Category 1 storm, Hurricane Florence was already wreaking havoc on North Carolina as the gigantic storm crept slowly ashore early Friday, with hundreds of people already rescued. The storm is packing winds of 90mph—much lower than once feared—and is moving at 6mph, reports NPR...
See What a Flood Surge
of 9 Feet Looks Like
Sep 13, 2018 11:47 AM CDT
See What a Flood Surge of 9 Feet Looks Like
Thanks to augmented reality
- The unwelcome Florence has almost arrived. The Category 2 hurricane is due to make landfall in North Carolina on Friday with devastating consequences , and the
reports that flooding already has begun. See the National Hurricane Center for the latest, including projections on rainfall and wind along the storm'...
Florence Warning: 'Do Not
Focus on Wind Speed Category'
Sep 13, 2018 6:38 AM CDT
Florence Warning: 'Do Not Focus on Wind Speed Category'
It's now a Category 2, but 'disaster is at the doorstep, and it's coming in'
- Hurricane Florence has lost a bit of steam, but that doesn't mean the Carolinas are out of the woods. The BBC reports that wind speeds have come down to 110mph, reslotting the hurricane into the Category 2 category from a Category 3, per a National Hurricane Center advisory...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
Webb Telescope Makes 'Baffling' Discovery
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.