Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Gets Stiff Sentence in
Brazil's First Jan. 8 Riot Trial
Sep 15, 2023 5:11 AM CDT
Man Gets Stiff Sentence in Brazil's First Jan. 8 Riot Trial
Case was heard in Supreme Court building trashed by rioters
- A man who stormed government buildings with a mob that claimed a presidential election was rigged received a stiff prison sentence Monday—and it wasn't in Washington, DC. Aecio Pereira, 51, was sentenced to 17 years for his role in the Jan. 8, 2023 riot in Brazil's capital,...
Judges Bar Bolsonaro From
Running for Office Until 2030
Jun 30, 2023 1:12 PM CDT
Judges Bar Bolsonaro From Running for Office Until 2030
Ex-Brazilian leader declared ineligible due to abuse of power, election fraud claims
- A panel of judges voted Friday to render far-right former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro ineligible to run for office again after concluding that he abused his power and cast unfounded doubts on the country's electronic voting system. The decision will forbid Bolsonaro from running until 2030, upending the 68-year-old'...
Mar 30, 2023 7:00 PM CDT
Supporters Welcome Bolsonaro Back
Official in new administration calls former president's return to Brazil a 'flop'
- Former President Jair Bolsonaro returned Thursday to Brazil after a three-month stint in Florida following his election loss, and the right-wing populist told supporters he doesn't think leftists will be in power in Brazil for long. Bolsonaro, who is the subject of several investigations that could stymie any attempts...
Bolsonaro May Be Vacating
His Florida Digs Soon
Mar 6, 2023 7:51 AM CST
Bolsonaro May Be Vacating His Florida Digs Soon
Ex-president of Brazil says he'll return there later this month to help lead political opposition
- Like American counterpart former President Trump , Brazil's latest ex-president appeared at CPAC over the weekend, speaking to the crowd gathered at the National Harbor convention center in Oxon Hill, Maryland. And, like Trump, Jair Bolsonaro continued to deny he had any culpability in inciting the riot in his nation'...
Bolsonaro Asks to Stay Awhile
Jan 30, 2023 6:55 PM CST
Bolsonaro Asks to Stay Awhile
Former president, now in Florida, faces investigation in Brazil
- With investigations waiting for him at home, former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has asked to stay in the US for at least another six months. Bolsonaro flew to Florida in late December, after delivering a farewell address to the nation but before his successor, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, took...
Lula Airlifts Starving
Finger at Bolsonaro
Jan 24, 2023 7:27 AM CST
Lula Airlifts Starving Tribespeople, Points Finger at Bolsonaro
Hundreds of Yanomami children have reportedly died as a result of illegal mining
- Brazil's president has accused his predecessor Jair Bolsonaro of committing genocide against the remote Amazon tribe of Yanomami, whose territory has been infiltrated by illegal miners . President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, who said he was "shocked" while visiting tribespeople in Brazil's northern state of Roraima...
Lula Fires Army Chief
in Response to Uprising
Jan 21, 2023 4:25 PM CST
Lula Fires Army Chief in Response to Uprising
President had said some in military assisted the insurgents
- President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva fired Brazil's army chief on Saturday, days after the leftist leader openly said that some military members allowed the Jan. 8 uprising in the capital by far-right protesters. The official website of the Brazilian armed forces said Gen. Julio Cesar de Arruda had...
Include Staging a Coup
Jan 17, 2023 3:01 PM CST
Charges Against Pro-Bolsonaro Rioters Include Staging a Coup
39 charged in storming of government buildings
- The office of Brazil’s prosecutor-general has presented its first charges against some of the thousands of people who authorities say stormed government buildings in an effort to overturn former President Jair Bolsonaro's loss in the October election. The prosecutors in the recently formed group to combat anti-democratic acts...
Up a Storm on
Jan 14, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Records Show Bolsonaro Charged Up a Storm on Corporate Card
Newly released credit card bills for Brazil's ex-leader show he really seems to love ice cream
- While Jair Bolsonaro is living his new best life in the Sunshine State, news has emerged that shows he appears to have lived his old best life on the Brazilian government's dime. His official credit card expenditures while he was president of the South American nation were released Friday,...
Brazil Judge Orders Arrest
of Top Security Officials
Jan 10, 2023 6:52 PM CST
Brazil Judge Orders Arrest of Top Security Officials
Fired security chief is currently in Florida
- A judge on Brazil's Supreme Court has ordered the arrest of at least two top security officials in connection with what authorities are calling an attempted coup. Justice Alexandre de Moraes ordered the arrest of Anderson Torres, Brasilia's former security chief, reports Reuters . Torres was fired Sunday after...
Odd Florida Exile:
Lots of Fans
Jan 10, 2023 11:05 AM CST
Bolsonaro's Odd Florida Exile: KFC, Selfies, Lots of Fans
Former Brazil leader is staying in a vacation home in Orlando suburb near Disney World
- It's a strange juxtaposition in regard to Brazil: In the capital, police have restored order after arresting more than 1,000 rioting supporters of former President Jair Bolsonaro. In Florida, meanwhile, Bolsonaro himself is leading an unusual new life of "fast-food runs and selfies," as the
Brazilians Demand 'No Amnesty'
Jan 10, 2023 12:38 AM CST
Brazilians Demand 'No Amnesty'
As Bolsonaro leaves a Florida hospital
- Former Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro has been released from a Florida hospital as calls increased for him to be expelled from the US. Meanwhile, in Brazil, demonstrators demanded "no amnesty" for the Bolsonaro supporters who stormed the capital on Sunday. Bolsonaro, who left Brazil two days before Luiz Inacio...
Bolsonaro's Wife Says He's
Hospitalized in Florida
Jan 9, 2023 4:59 PM CST
Bolsonaro's Wife Says He's Hospitalized in Florida
Former president left Brazil before successor took office
- A day after his supporters attacked government buildings in Brazil, the wife of Jair Bolsonaro said the former president is in a hospital in Florida. Michelle Bolsonaro posted Monday on Instagram that her husband was under observation after suffering abdominal pain, the BBC reports. Jair Bolsonaro was admitted Monday to...
Amid Brazil Riot, Bannon
Cheers 'Freedom Fighters'
Jan 9, 2023 6:32 AM CST
Amid Brazil Riot, Bannon Cheers 'Freedom Fighters'
Hundreds arrested after supporters of losing President Bolsonaro storm the capital
- Authorities in Brazil have reclaimed control of the nation's seat of power after supporters of former President Jair Bolsonaro rioted in the capital Brasilia on Sunday. Estimates of the number of arrested range between 200 and 400 in news coverage:
Thousands stormed the nation's Congress, its
Bolsonaro Backers Storm
Jan 8, 2023 2:20 PM CST
Bolsonaro Backers Storm Government Buildings
Mob wanting Lula's removal also breaks into Supreme Court, presidential palace
- Supporters of defeated former President Jair Bolsonaro stormed Brazil's Congress on Sunday, demanding that the military restore the far-right politician to power. Hundreds of people breached security barriers and broke into the building, Deutsche Welle reports, as police tried to keep them out with tear gas. Brazilian media displayed...
Lula Takes Office in Brazil,
Promising 'Democracy Forever'
Jan 1, 2023 3:10 PM CST
Lula Takes Office in Brazil, Promising 'Democracy Forever'
With Bolsonaro out, new president says he'll rebuild the nation
- Declaring that "democracy was the great winner" of Brazil's violent presidential election, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva took office on Sunday and promised to restore the nation from the "terrible ruins" left by his predecessor's rule. "Together with the Brazilian people, I assume the...
Dec 31, 2022 12:15 PM CST
Bolsonaro Leaves Brazil After Farewell Address
Outgoing president won't attend successor's inauguration Sunday
- President Jair Bolsonaro tearfully delivered an unyielding farewell address to Brazil on Friday before flying to the US, avoiding taking part in the transfer of power to his successor on Sunday. "Nothing is lost," he told supporters in a speech streamed on social media. "Brazil is a...
Attack Police HQ
Dec 13, 2022 10:50 AM CST
Bolsonaro Supporters Attack Police HQ
Brazilian president, who claims election fraud, said his fate was in their hands
- Supporters of Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro clashed with police Monday, setting fire to several vehicles and allegedly attempting to invade the federal police's headquarters in the capital city of Brasilia, per the AP . Images of chaos circulated on local television channels and social media as a small number of...
Challenges Election Loss
Nov 22, 2022 7:24 PM CST
Bolsonaro Officially Challenges Election Loss
His coalition says most of Brazil's voting machines have a software bug
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro and his right-wing coalition have launched a challenge to his election loss last month, though critics say it's a "senseless" move and bound to fail. Bolsonaro, who allowed the transition process to be put into motion after his loss to Luiz Inacio Lula da...
In Speech, Bolsonaro
Avoids Conceding Defeat
Nov 1, 2022 4:37 PM CDT
In Speech, Bolsonaro Avoids Conceding Defeat
But Brazilian leader says he will follow the constitution
- In his first public remarks since his narrow election loss Sunday, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro did not concede defeat, but he said he would follow the rules of the country's constitution. "I have always been labeled as anti-democratic and, unlike my accusers, I have always played within the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
This Time, Senator May Not Survive His Bribery Scandal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.