Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Is Running for Congress
Nov 13, 2023 1:00 AM CST
'QAnon Shaman' Is Running for Congress
As a libertarian in Arizona
- Jacob Chansley, the man often seen as the face of the January 6, 2021, Capitol riot and who is perhaps more famously known as "QAnon Shaman," promised after being released from prison and a halfway house that he would continue his quest for "truth." Apparently that...
Support for Political Violence
in America Is Kind of Shocking
Oct 25, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Support for Political Violence in America Is Kind of Shocking
Poll finds 23% of Americans believe it could be necessary 'to save our country'
- Nearly one in four Americans support political violence in a new national survey that pollsters say is likely to indicate a "challenging election season." Some 75% of Americans surveyed by the Public Religion Research Institute and the Brookings Institution—including 84% of Democrats, 77% of Republicans, and 73%...
Oct 21, 2022 6:12 AM CDT
Newsmax Bans Lara Logan After Wild Immigration Theory
Ex-'60 Minutes' reporter said Satan allows for open borders
- Former CBS News correspondent Lara Logan has some out-there ideas on immigration—so out there that she's now banned from the right-wing Newsmax network for airing them. The offending interview took place Wednesday with Eric Bolling, who apparently got the first scoop Logan had on the "global cabal"...
Prominent Capitol Rioter
Found Guilty on 7 Charges
Sep 24, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Prominent Capitol Rioter Found Guilty on 7 Charges
Doug Jensen was one of the first rioters to breach the building
: One of the first rioters to enter the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, has been found guilty on seven federal charges, including five felonies. Doug Jensen, who led a group that chased Capitol Police Officer Eugene Goodman up stairs near the Senate chamber, was arrested two days after the...
Michigan Man Killed Wife and
Dog. Daughter Blames QAnon
Sep 12, 2022 3:16 PM CDT
Michigan Man Killed Wife and Dog. Daughter Blames QAnon
Igor Lanis, 53, had no criminal record, but daughter says he was deep in 'Q rabbit hole'
- The daughter of a man who was killed in a shootout with police in Michigan said her father "had been struggling with mental issues after embracing conspiracy theories," according to the
Police were called to the Walled Lake community in Oakland County around 4am Sunday, where...
After Going Dark in 2020,
'Q' of QAnon Is Back
Jun 28, 2022 1:52 AM CDT
After Going Dark in 2020, 'Q' of QAnon Is Back
Posts 3 messages on 8kun, the message board where he was last seen
- "Q," the mysterious leader behind the far-right QAnon conspiracy theory, has emerged online for the first time since December 2020. The "Q" account, which the
New York Times
reports contains the same unique identifier used on previous posts, posted on the anonymous far-right message board 8kun Friday...
At Border, QAnon Is First
to Greet Some Children
May 15, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
At Border, QAnon Is First to Greet Some Children
Food, prayer, and a 'Let's Go Brandon' T-shirt for all
- QAnon adherents have positioned themselves in the Arizona desert to intercept unaccompanied minors, ostensibly to protect them from child traffickers. Jason Frank and his pals carry sidearms and Bibles, and they offer food, prayer, and “Let’s Go Brandon” T-shirts. According to the
New York Times ,
Frank focuses his...
QAnon Believer Texted Wife
Day He Allegedly Killed Kids
Apr 8, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
QAnon Believer Texted Wife Day He Allegedly Killed Kids
Wife said Matthew Coleman grew 'significantly more paranoid' before murders: affidavit
- California surfing instructor Matthew Coleman, accused of stabbing his two young children to death with a spearfishing gun on the belief that they had "serpent DNA," grew more and more paranoid as he went down the QAnon rabbit hole, court documents allege. Wife Abby Coleman told investigators that...
Butterfly Center Targeted
by QAnon Partially Reopens
Mar 17, 2022 5:09 AM CDT
Butterfly Center Targeted by QAnon Partially Reopens
But Texas sanctuary is members-only for now
- A butterfly center in Texas has partially reopened, more than a month after it said it was temporarily shutting down because of threats from QAnon conspiracy theorists. The National Butterfly Center in the border community of Mission said in a tweet this week that it reopened for members only on...
We Know Who
'Q' of QAnon Is
Feb 20, 2022 9:07 AM CST
Tech Sleuths: We Know Who 'Q' of QAnon Is
Two separate analyses suggest it's Ron Watkins of the US and Paul Furber of South Africa
- The QAnon movement got its start in 2017 when somebody known as "Q" began posting conspiracy-laden messages online. Now, two independent teams of linguistic sleuths say they have settled the question about Q's identity, reports the
New York Times
. Both have concluded that Q is actually two people....
Butterfly Sanctuary Shuts Down
Over QAnon Conspiracy Theory
Feb 4, 2022 7:48 AM CST
Butterfly Sanctuary Shuts Down Over QAnon Conspiracy Theory
Harassment, threats at Texas' National Butterfly Center led to sanctuary's 'difficult decision'
- For most, the National Butterfly Center in Mission, Texas, is a gathering place for nature lovers. For a group of QAnon conspiracy theorists, it's a site rife with human trafficking—a debunked suspicion that has led to so much harassment and threats that the sanctuary has now announced it'...
Judge Disagrees With Rioter
About Who the Patriots Were
Jan 26, 2022 6:27 PM CST
Judge Disagrees With Rioter About Who the Patriots Were
Nicholas Languerand attacked police at Capitol
- A man who identified himself as a believer in the QAnon conspiracy theory was sentenced on Wednesday to three years, eight months in prison for assaulting police officers at the Capitol during last year's riot. Nicholas Languerand called himself a patriot, but the judge who sentenced him said the...
QAnon Carries On
With New Leaders
Dec 30, 2021 12:03 AM CST
QAnon Carries On With New Leaders
Analysts see the movement as becoming stronger as it decentralizes
- It's been more than a year since QAnon received any direction from Q, the otherwise nameless online account whose conspiracy theories the movement was built on. But QAnon appears undeterred, the
New York Times
reports, evolving rather than fading away like its leader. It's so far survived Q'...
He Arrived in DC Too Late for
the Riot. He Still Got 28 Months
Dec 14, 2021 4:17 PM CST
He Arrived in DC Too Late for the Riot. He Still Got 28 Months
Cleveland Meredith threatened to shoot Nancy Pelosi on live TV
- A Georgia man whose family says he fell "hook, line, and sinker" for the QAnon conspiracy theory has been sentenced to 28 months in prison for threatening to kill House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Authorities say Cleveland Meredith Jr. drove from Colorado, where he had been on a skiing vacation...
'QAnon Shaman' Gets One
of Longest Sentences Yet
Nov 17, 2021 11:04 AM CST
'QAnon Shaman' Gets One of Longest Sentences Yet
But not the 51-month sentence prosecutors wanted for Jacob Chansley
Prosecutors didn't get the 51-month sentence they wanted, but Jacob Chansley was still handed one of the longest sentences yet in connection with the events of Jan. 6. The "QAnon Shaman" was on Wednesday sentenced to 41 months in federal prison by Judge Royce C. Lamberth, reports...
QAnon Follower Charged With
Killing Kids Over 'Serpent DNA'
Sep 9, 2021 1:38 AM CDT
QAnon Follower Charged With Killing Kids Over 'Serpent DNA'
Matthew Taylor Coleman charged with Mexico murders of children aged 2 and 10 months
The alleged QAnon follower accused of killing his two young children because he believed they had "serpent DNA" was indicted Wednesday. Matthew Taylor Coleman, 40, of Santa Barbara, Calif., was charged with two counts of foreign first-degree murder of US nationals, making him eligible for the death penalty,...
Horned Rioter Pleads Guilty
Sep 3, 2021 2:26 PM CDT
Horned Rioter Pleads Guilty
Jacob Chansley has distanced himself from QAnon and Trump since Capitol riot, lawyer says
- An Arizona man who sported face paint, no shirt, and a furry hat with horns when he joined the mob that stormed the US Capitol on Jan. 6 pleaded guilty Friday to a felony charge and wants to be released from jail while he awaits sentencing. Jacob Chansley, who was...
Parkland Shooting Survivor:
My Dad Thinks It Was a Hoax
Jul 27, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
Parkland Shooting Survivor: My Dad Thinks It Was a Hoax
Teen tells Vice that QAnon conspiracy theories are ripping his family apart
- One of the last people you'd expect to believe the 2018 school shooting in Parkland, Fla., was a hoax is the parent of a child who experienced the trauma firsthand. But one 18-year-old survivor says the father who once refused to wear the same color shirt as the shooter...
Lawyer for 'QAnon Shaman':
Tests Show He's Mentally Ill
Jul 23, 2021 8:53 AM CDT
Lawyer for 'QAnon Shaman': Tests Show He's Mentally Ill
Tests reveal multiple diagnoses for Jacob Chansley, and plea deal is in the works
- One of the most recognizable members of the mob that stormed the Capitol has been diagnosed with multiple mental illnesses that include transient schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, his lawyer tells Reuters . Psychologists with the Federal Bureau of Prisons made the findings after testing Jacob Chansley , aka the QAnon Shaman, says...
Judge Orders 'QAnon Shaman'
to Take Competency Exam
Jun 28, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Judge Orders 'QAnon Shaman' to Take Competency Exam
Lawyer argues months in prison have caused client to deteriorate
- The man who wore no shirt, a fur-lined hat with horns, face paint, and carried a spear with a flag on it into the US Capitol Building during the Jan. 6 attack has been ordered to undergo a mental health evaluation. You may know Jacob Anthony Chansley as Jake Angeli...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Winners, Losers From the 4th GOP Debate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.