Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Killer Gets Life
in Slaying of
Aug 30, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Killer Gets Life Without Parole in Slaying of Mollie Tibbetts
Cristhian Bahena Rivera says nothing in Iowa courtroom as he's sentenced
- "You, and you alone, forever changed the lives of those who loved Mollie Tibbetts," a judge told Cristhian Bahena Rivera in an Iowa courtroom on Monday. "And for that, you and you alone will receive the following sentence." Judge Joel Yates then imposed a sentence of...
Killer Loses His
Bid for New Trial
Aug 2, 2021 6:10 PM CDT
Mollie Tibbetts' Killer Loses His Bid for New Trial
Cristhian Bahena Rivera says two masked men killed Iowa college student
- A judge on Monday rejected a convicted man's request for a new trial in the 2018 killing of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts, whose body was found in a cornfield weeks after she disappeared while out for a run near her small hometown. Judge Joel Yates' ruling cleared...
Witnesses Say Mollie Tibbetts
Was at Sex Trafficking House
Jul 15, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
Witnesses Say Mollie Tibbetts Was at Sex Trafficking House
Cristhian Bahena Rivera's sentencing delayed as attorneys seek new trial
- Cristhian Bahena Rivera, convicted of killing Mollie Tibbetts in Brooklyn, Iowa, was supposed to be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole on Thursday. Instead, sentencing will be delayed as a judge hears a motion to throw out his first-degree murder conviction and hold a new trial....
in Slaying of
May 28, 2021 2:55 PM CDT
Jury Returns Guilty Verdict in Slaying of Mollie Tibbetts
First-degree murder conviction means a life sentence without parole for killer
- A jury returned a guilty verdict Friday in the 2018 slaying of Mollie Tibbetts, a 20-year-old Iowa college student. Cristhian Bahena Rivera, a farmhand and Mexican national, was convicted of first-degree murder after seven hours of deliberations, NBC reports. Rivera, 26, faces the state's mandatory sentence of life in...
May 27, 2021 12:12 PM CDT
Mollie Tibbetts' Alleged Killer Reverses Confession
Wednesday's testimony came as surprise to prosecutors
- The man on trial for the 2018 stabbing death of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts took the stand Wednesday to claim her killers were walking free. Testifying through an interpreter, Mexican national Cristhian Bahena Rivera said two masked men, one carrying a gun and another a knife, showed up...
Prosecutor Warns Jury Pool:
Details of Trial Won't Be Easy
May 17, 2021 2:18 PM CDT
Prosecutor Warns Jury Pool: Details of Trial Won't Be Easy
Jury selection starts in 2018 stabbing death of Mollie Tibbetts in Iowa
- A prosecutor warned prospective jurors Monday that the trial of a Mexican national charged in the 2018 fatal stabbing of a University of Iowa student will include graphic evidence that will be emotionally difficult to see and hear. Prosecutor Scott Brown said the first-degree murder trial of Cristhian Bahena Rivera...
In Mollie Tibbetts
Case, a Surprise
Move by Her Mother
Dec 28, 2018 11:55 AM CST
In Mollie Tibbetts Case, a Surprise Move by Her Mother
Laura Calderwood takes in teen son of immigrants who knew alleged killer
- A remarkable twist in the story involving the murder of 20-year-old Iowa college student Molly Tibbetts , delivered via Terrence McCoy of the
Washington Post .
Tibbetts was allegedly murdered by an undocumented immigrant named Cristhian Bahena Rivera, a 24-year-old who worked as a farm laborer in the rural community of Brooklyn,...
Pleads Not Guilty
Sep 19, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
Mollie Tibbetts' Suspected Killer Pleads Not Guilty
Trial date set for Cristhian Bahena Rivera
- The man accused of murdering Mollie Tibbetts will stand trial in April. Cristhian Bahena Rivera on Wednesday pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder during his arraignment in Montezuma, Iowa. KCRG reports the 24-year-old waived his right to a speedy trial, and an April 16 trial date was set. He remains...
Mollie Would Have
Found Reaction to Her
Murder 'Racist': Dad
Sep 2, 2018 10:32 AM CDT
Mollie Would Have Found Reaction to Her Murder 'Racist': Dad
Rob Tibbetts writes a column for the 'Des Moines Register'
- Ever since Mollie Tibbetts was found dead, her father Rob has been asking people to stop using her murder—of which an immigrant is accused—to push political agendas. This weekend in the
Des Moines Register
, he made that request again, because many have been ignoring it. "They have...
Rob Tibbetts: Here's How
to Remember My Mollie
Aug 27, 2018 1:00 AM CDT
Rob Tibbetts: Here's How to Remember My Mollie
'Mollie's nobody's victim,' dad says in eulogy
- The father of the 20-year-old Iowa woman whose body was found in a cornfield last week wants people to remember her by "celebrating something wonderful"—not by the way she died. Mollie Tibbetts' father, Rob Tibbetts, urged the hundreds of people at his daughter's funeral on Sunday...
Woman: Tibbetts' Alleged Killer
Sent Me Online Messages
Aug 25, 2018 7:53 AM CDT
Woman: Tibbetts' Alleged Killer Sent Me Online Messages
Cristhian Bahena Rivera had child with woman who attended same high school as Tibbetts
- In a new profile of Cristhian Bahena Rivera, the
New York Times
looks at how Mollie Tibbetts' accused killer "built a life in an Iowa farm town." It treads on some familiar ground—quoting people who describe him as a quiet but reliable farmhand at a local dairy...
Fox's Mollie Tibbetts Coverage
Has a Surprising Critic
Aug 24, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
Fox's Mollie Tibbetts Coverage Has a Surprising Critic
Network's own Geraldo Rivera criticizes immigration 'spin'
- The Mollie Tibbetts murder continues to emerge as a flashpoint in the immigration debate, even if some members of the Iowa student's family aren't happy about it, reports NBC News . The reason? US immigration officials say 24-year-old suspect Cristhian Bahena Rivera was in the country illegally, though his...
Autopsy: 'Sharp Force Injuries'
Caused Mollie Tibbetts' Death
Aug 23, 2018 5:15 PM CDT
Autopsy: 'Sharp Force Injuries' Caused Mollie Tibbetts' Death
Accused killer due in court next week
- The Iowa college student who was allegedly abducted by a stranger while running last month was killed by "multiple sharp force injuries," investigators announced Thursday. Preliminary autopsy results from the state medical examiner's office also determined that 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts was the victim of a homicide, the...
'Not Who He
Said He Was'
Aug 23, 2018 6:41 AM CDT
Mollie Tibbetts Murder Suspect 'Not Who He Said He Was'
Employer says Cristhian Rivera went by another name for 4 years
- One of roughly 10 employees at Yarrabee Farms in rural Poweshiek County, Iowa, the 24-year-old lived in a mobile home on the property, always showed up for work, and got along with his co-workers as he took care of the cows over the course of four years. It was only...
Lawyer: Mollie Tibbetts'
Murder Suspect Here Legally
Aug 22, 2018 2:55 PM CDT
Lawyer: Mollie Tibbetts' Murder Suspect Here Legally
Cristhian Rivera wasn't interviewed until Monday
- Officials say they didn't know the name of the man suspected of murdering Mollie Tibbetts until just days ago. "His name hadn't surfaced. Hadn't come across the radar," Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation Assistant Director Mitch Mortvedt tells the
Des Moines Register
. He says...
How Mollie Tibbetts
Was Allegedly Abducted
Aug 22, 2018 5:59 AM CDT
How Mollie Tibbetts Was Allegedly Abducted
Suspect says he 'blocked out' period of time
- Cristhian Bahena Rivera, the 24-year-old man accused of abducting and murdering University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts , has admitted following her as she went for an evening run—but claims to have blocked out key details. Rivera, who led investigators to where he had concealed her body in a cornfield,...
Mollie Tibbetts' Suspected Killer
Is Undocumented Immigrant
Aug 21, 2018 4:19 PM CDT
Mollie Tibbetts' Suspected Killer Is Undocumented Immigrant
Cristhian Bahena Rivera, 24, has been charged with first-degree murder
- Mollie Tibbetts' father confirmed the reports that emerged Tuesday morning: His daughter has been found dead. Rob Tibbetts made the confirmation to Fox News in advance of a 4pm local time news conference, at which time authorities revealed a first-degree murder charge has been filed in the case. The
Reports: Body of Missing
Mollie Tibbetts Is Found
Aug 21, 2018 8:29 AM CDT
Reports: Body of Missing Mollie Tibbetts Is Found
News conference scheduled for later Tuesday
- News reports suggest the worst fears have been realized in the case of missing University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts . Fox News , the AP , and CBS News report that authorities believe they have found the body of the 20-year-old, who vanished on July 18 in the small town of Brooklyn,...
Month After Mollie Vanished,
Dad 'Reluctantly' Leaves Iowa
Aug 20, 2018 11:20 AM CDT
Month After Mollie Vanished, Dad 'Reluctantly' Leaves Iowa
Rob Tibbetts returns to California
- After learning his daughter Mollie was missing, Rob Tibbetts flew from San Francisco to Iowa to look for her. He packed four days' worth of clothes, reports the
Des Moines Register
. The 20-year-old vanished on July 18, and on Saturday—the one-month mark—Rob Tibbetts told KCRG he was "...
Mollie Tibbetts' Father Has
New Theory on What Happened
Aug 7, 2018 12:09 PM CDT
Mollie Tibbetts' Father Has New Theory on What Happened
He thinks his daughter knows the person who took her on July 18
- The family of missing Iowa college student Mollie Tibbetts hasn't really wavered on its position that they believe the 20-year-old is alive. On Tuesday, father Robert Tibbetts shared his theory on what may have happened with CBS News : He thinks Tibbetts may know whomever she's with. "I...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
One Quirk in Couples Health Study Is a Surprise
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.