Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Amy Coney Barrett
Stories 1 - 20 |
Barrett: My Time on the Bench
Has Had 'Its Ups and Downs'
Oct 17, 2023 8:33 AM CDT
Barrett: My Time on the Bench Has Had 'Its Ups and Downs'
Supreme Court justice says it would be a 'good idea' for ethics code to be put in place for high court
- As headlines continue to emerge about various Supreme Court justices , talk of implementing an ethics code for the nation's highest court has emerged, including from some of the justices themselves. Now, Justice Amy Coney Barrett is weighing in, and she appears to be a proponent of such oversight. "...
Barrett Says She's 'Acquired
a Thick Skin' on SCOTUS
Aug 29, 2023 7:36 PM CDT
Barrett Says She's 'Acquired a Thick Skin' on SCOTUS
'Public criticism kind of comes with the job'
- It's been almost three years since Justice Amy Coney Barrett, the third of Donald Trump's three nominees, joined the Supreme Court and she says she's developed a "thick skin" in that time amid increasing criticism of the court. "I think that justices and all judges...
Nov 13, 2022 1:40 PM CST
Alito Receives Standing Ovation for Abortion Ruling
Barrett jokes about Dobbs demonstrations at her home
- Four members of the US Supreme Court attended a Federalist Society black-tie gala last week, and all received applause. But the most rapturous reaction, which included a standing ovation, was for Justice Samuel Alito's work in overturning Roe v. Wade, Politico reports. Alito didn't mention the June decision...
Gets a Scathing
Oct 27, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Barrett's Book Gets a Scathing Literary Reaction
In open letter, literati blast publisher, SCOTUS justice over 'fundamental human right' of abortion
- Not everyone is thrilled about Amy Coney Barrett's upcoming book , including a couple hundred literary notables who've signed a scathing open letter to her publisher. The
reports on the letter —titled "We Dissent" and signed by close to 250 "members of the writing, publishing,...
Debt Plan Hits
Oct 22, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Biden's Student Debt Plan Hits Temporary Roadblock
Federal appeals court puts relief program on hold for now as it reviews case brought by 6 GOP states
President Biden's student loan relief program has been put on hold, at least temporarily, due to an order from a federal appeals court. The
New York Times
reports that the directive from the 8th US Circuit Court of Appeals, which mandates that the debt cancellation set to start...
Group Asks Supreme Court
to Block Student Loan Relief
Oct 19, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Group Asks Supreme Court to Block Student Loan Relief
Emergency filing says Biden program usurps congressional spending authority
- No sooner had the Education Department launched its site to accept applications for student debt cancellation than the Supreme Court received an emergency request to block the whole program. A group of Wisconsin taxpayers took its request Wednesday to Justice Amy Coney Barrett, who handles emergency filings involving the 7th...
Indiana Doctor Has Faced
Threats. So Has Her Daughter
Jul 17, 2022 11:03 AM CDT
Indiana Doctor Has Faced Threats. So Has Her Daughter
Caitlin Bernard performed abortion on 10-year-old girl who had been raped
- Dr. Caitlin Bernard, who recently performed an abortion on a 10-year-old Ohio girl , has faced threats before—including one to kidnap her daughter reported by the FBI. The Indiana OB-GYN stopped going to a clinic in South Bend, 2½ hours away, to provide abortions after her daughter was threatened, the...
Fate of Roe v. Wade Will
Depend on 3 Justices
Dec 1, 2021 3:22 PM CST
Fate of Roe v. Wade Will Depend on 3 Justices
Analysts say Roberts, Barrett, Kavanaugh are the ones to watch
- After Supreme Court arguments Wednesday, the future of abortion rights in America will now likely be decided by three justices, including the second two of Donald Trump's three nominees to the top court, analysts say—and it's not looking good for Roe v. Wade. All six conservative justices...
I Don't Always
of My Decisions
Sep 13, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Coney Barrett: I Don't Always Like Results of My Decisions
Supreme Court justice says court is not made up of 'partisan hacks'
- Justice Amy Coney Barrett isn't happy with how the public perceives the Supreme Court, a problem she blames in part on "hot takes on Twitter." In a speech at the McConnell Center at the University of Louisville, the 49-year-old pushed back against the notion that court decisions...
Amy Coney Barrett
Makes Decision on
Aug 13, 2021 2:00 AM CDT
Amy Coney Barrett Makes Decision on Indiana University Vaccine Mandate
The Supreme Court justice denies request to block it
- Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett on Thursday declined to block Indiana University's controversial vaccine mandate. The high court judge has jurisdiction over the appeals court involved in the case and made the decision without referring the matter to the full court, CNN explains. It's the first time...
Supreme Court's Interesting
New Math: 3-3-3
Jun 18, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Supreme Court's Interesting New Math: 3-3-3
The 6-3 conservative majority isn't issuing decisions quite as expected, at least so far
- When Amy Coney Barrett replaced Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court last year, it resulted in what is usually described as a 6-3 advantage for conservatives over liberals on the court. But two big decisions Thursday— one on ObamaCare and the other on a Catholic group that refuses to...
Looks Like Amy Coney Barrett's
Story Just Got More Lucrative
Apr 19, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Looks Like Amy Coney Barrett's Story Just Got More Lucrative
Supreme Court justice reportedly gets $2M book deal
- Local media in Indiana is abuzz after Amy Coney Barrett and her husband put their South Bend home up for sale so they can move to DC, but it appears that's not the only big news for the Supreme Court justice. Three sources tell Politico that the conservative justice,...
One Trump, One Obama Take
Home 'Most Admired' Crowns
Dec 29, 2020 11:23 AM CST
One Trump, One Obama Take Home 'Most Admired' Crowns
Donald Trump ends Barack Obama's 12-year winning streak, while Michelle Obama wins top spot for women
- Donald Trump didn't beat Joe Biden in the election, but he can notch a win against Barack Obama. In its annual survey on the matter, Gallup pollsters asked 1,000 or so American adults to name, without being given choices, a man and a woman they most admire anywhere...
It's a Big Day
at Supreme Court
Nov 10, 2020 6:32 AM CST
It's a Big Day for ObamaCare at Supreme Court
Court's new conservative majority will again consider law, and it's being live-streamed
- This will likely be an anxious morning for supporters of ObamaCare as the Supreme Court—with its expanded conservative majority—again considers the law's fate. The pandemic provides an unusual window to hear Tuesday's oral arguments: They will be conducted via telephone and live-streamed to the public beginning...
Congratulatory Post for Barrett
Touches Off an Online Fury
Oct 29, 2020 6:05 PM CDT
Congratulatory Post for Barrett Touches Off an Online Fury
Girl Scouts take down sentiment after objections
- A tweet by the Girl Scouts congratulating new Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett drew such outrage that the youth organization swiftly deleted it—only to draw a new backlash from Barrett's supporters. The original tweet, posted Wednesday evening, said, "Congratulations Amy Coney Barrett on becoming the 5th...
Headed Barrett's Way
Oct 27, 2020 6:53 AM CDT
Nation-Changing Cases Headed Barrett's Way
Including Trump tax returns, ACA
- In her first week on the job, Amy Coney Barrett could already be weighing in on some big issues, including Republican appeals to shorten the deadline for receiving and counting absentee ballots in two battleground states, North Carolina and Pennsylvania, the AP reports.
notes there could be more where...
There Are Once Again
9 Justices on High Court
Oct 27, 2020 12:12 AM CDT
There Are Once Again 9 Justices on High Court
Amy Coney Barrett sworn onto Supreme Court
- In what the AP calls the culmination of a decadeslong coordinated effort by a constellation of conservative groups, fueled by tens of millions of dollars from wealthy anonymous donors, to tilt the high court farther to the right, Amy Coney Barrett was on Monday night sworn onto the Supreme Court....
Amy Coney Barrett
Will Be 115th Court Justice
Oct 26, 2020 7:07 PM CDT
Amy Coney Barrett Will Be 115th Court Justice
She will be be sworn in later Monday by Clarence Thomas
- Republicans got their wish Monday night: The Senate confirmed Amy Coney Barrett's nomination to the Supreme Court a mere eight days before the election. The vote was 52-48, with no Democrats voting in favor and Susan Collins of Maine the only Republican to vote against, reports the Hill . The...
Biden: WH Event
Oct 26, 2020 5:11 PM CDT
Biden: WH Event to Celebrate Barrett Nomination Is 'Inappropriate'
Trump should 'have a little bit of shame'
- Joe Biden says he doesn’t blame President Trump for "celebrating" another Supreme Court confirmation, but the Democrat says the White House event planned Monday night after the Senate vote to confirm Amy Coney Barrett is "inappropriate." Speaking to reporters as he campaigned in Pennsylvania on Monday,...
Oct 26, 2020 4:16 PM CDT
Before SCOTUS Vote, Democrats Have Request for Pence
They want the VP to break custom and steer clear of the Senate because of COVID
- The presidency may be up in the air, but a different vote is sure to be a winner for Republicans: The Senate will vote Monday evening to confirm Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court. CNBC reports that the vote is expected around 7;25pm ET. The outcome is not...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.