Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Capital Gazette shooting
5 Life Terms for Shooter
in Newspaper Killings
Sep 28, 2021 12:12 PM CDT
5 Life Terms for Shooter in Newspaper Killings
Jarrod Ramos used insanity plea in 'Capital Gazette' killings of 5 journalists in Maryland
- A man who killed five people at a newspaper in Maryland was sentenced on Tuesday to more than five life sentences without the possibility of parole. Anne Arundel County Judge Michael Wachs ordered the sentence for Jarrod Ramos, whom a jury previously found criminally responsible for killing Wendi Winters, John...
Changed by Newsroom Killings,
Editor Leaves Maryland Paper
Jun 19, 2021 3:10 PM CDT
Changed by Newsroom Killings, Editor Leaves Maryland Paper
Capital Gazette won a Pulitzer citation for its courage in managing to keep publishing
- The editor of the Capital Gazette, which won a special Pulitzer Prize citation for its coverage and courage in the face of a massacre in its newsroom, is leaving the Maryland newspaper. Rick Hutzell, who worked at the Annapolis paper for more than three decades, authored a farewell column that...
There Was a
Hero at the
Jul 8, 2018 7:05 AM CDT
Survivors: There Was a Hero at the Shooting
Wendi Winters charged the gunman, armed only with a recycling bin and garbage can
- When the glass door shattered and shots rang out, most of the 11 people in the
newsroom very understandably hit the decks. Wendi Winters did not, crying out "No!" and charging the gunman—and likely buying enough time to save their lives, survivors of the...
Trump Lowers US Flags
for Newsroom Shooting
Jul 3, 2018 9:25 AM CDT
Trump Lowers US Flags for Newsroom Shooting
President makes the decision after mayor says original request was denied
- President Trump seems to have overruled an underling and ordered American flags flown at half-staff to honor the victims of the shooting in the
newsroom in Maryland. Annapolis Mayor Gavin Buckley said on Monday that the White House rejected his original request, made through the state's congressional...
Described Plan in Letter
Jul 3, 2018 7:08 AM CDT
Suspect Described Plan in Letter
Cops: Jarrod Ramos wanted to kill 'every person present'
- Before murdering five people in a Maryland newsroom, Jarrod Ramos signed and mailed a document describing his goal of "killing every person present," police say. "You were too cowardly to confront those lies, and this is your receipt. I told you so," reads the June 28...
Trump Won't Lower Flags to
Jul 3, 2018 1:30 AM CDT
Trump Won't Lower Flags to Honor
Annapolis mayor says he's 'disappointed'
- Mayor Gavin Buckley says he put in a request over the weekend for President Trump to lower American flags in Annapolis to honor the five people killed in the
mass shooting —and he's "obviously" disappointed that it was turned down. The AP reports Maryland Rep....
Mass Shooting: Harassment
Victim Recalls Scary Threats
Jul 2, 2018 10:55 AM CDT
Mass Shooting: Harassment Victim Recalls Scary Threats
Woman recalls abuse from Jarrod Ramos years ago that was covered by newspaper
- Last week's fatal shooting in a Maryland newsroom has been blamed on the suspect's long-simmering anger with the
over its coverage of a harassment complaint against him years ago. Now the woman who lodged that complaint has given an interview to NBC News , saying that she...
Tweet About MAGA Hat
Costs Reporter His Job
Jun 30, 2018 8:40 AM CDT
Tweet About MAGA Hat Costs Reporter His Job
Conor Berry suggested 'Capital Gazette' shooter dropped a MAGA hat in newsroom
- While many people were left seeing red over yet another mass shooting following the massacre in the
newsroom , one journalist reported on a different kind of red favored by supporters of President Trump—and now he's resigned because of it. Fox News reports that after the Annapolis...
Newspaper Shooting Suspect's
Ire Started With Classmate
Jun 30, 2018 7:19 AM CDT
Newspaper Shooting Suspect's Ire Started With Classmate
Police say they found Jarrod Ramos hiding under a desk
- Police on Friday revealed several new grim details about the deadly shooting at the
in Annapolis, Md., on Thursday, among them that the gunman barricaded the building's rear doors. Officials speculate that was either to prevent would-be victims a path out or to prevent police from getting...
Newspaper's Blank Page
Jun 29, 2018 2:25 PM CDT
Newspaper's Blank Page Speaks Volumes
Police say 'Capital Gazette' shooter tried to kill as many people as possible
- One of the chilling details to emerge Friday about the mass shooting that killed five people in a Maryland newspaper office: Police say suspect Jarrod Ramos barricaded the exit doors of the
building in Annapolis to prevent escape, reports the
. "The fellow was there to...
'We're Putting Out a Damn
Paper,' Says Newspaper
Jun 29, 2018 6:41 AM CDT
'We're Putting Out a Damn Paper,' Says Newspaper After Shooting
Attack was deadliest on US journalists since 9/11
- After a gunman killed five people in its newsroom Thursday, Maryland's
made a promise: "Yes, we're putting out a damn paper tomorrow," the Annapolis newspaper tweeted defiantly. Despite the loss of three editors and a staff writer—and the fact that their newsroom is...
Carl Hiaasen's Brother Among
5 Killed in Newsroom Shooting
Jun 29, 2018 1:03 AM CDT
Carl Hiaasen's Brother Among 5 Killed in Newsroom Shooting
Suspect had longstanding grudge against newspaper
- The five people killed in a horrific mass shooting in a Maryland newsroom Thursday have been identified, including Rob Hiaasen, brother of Florida novelist and columnist Carl Hiaasen. Rob "was the most remarkable person. So gifted and talented and dedicated to journalism," Carl Hiaasen tells the AP. The...
5 Killed When Gunman Opens
Fire on Maryland Newsroom
Jun 28, 2018 4:15 PM CDT
5 Killed When Gunman Opens Fire on Maryland Newsroom
Suspect is in custody
- A single shooter killed five people Thursday and wounded others at a newspaper in Annapolis, Maryland, and police said a suspect was in custody. A reporter at the
tweeted that a single gunman fired into the newsroom and shot multiple employees. Phil Davis, who covers courts and crime...
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.