Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jul 15, 2023 8:25 AM CDT
Two Brothers Do Something Never Done in Baseball
Josh and Bo Naylor each hit multi-run homers in the same inning for the same team
- It's pretty rare, though not unprecedented, for two brothers to make the major leagues and wind up on the same team. It's rarer still for them to homer in the same game, let alone the same inning. Josh and Bo Naylor of the Cleveland Guardians managed the feat...
Climate Change May Be
Affecting Baseball Games
Apr 9, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Climate Change May Be Affecting Baseball Games
Researchers suggest warmer weather is leading to more home runs
- Climate change is making major league sluggers into even hotter hitters, sending an extra 50 or so home runs a year over the fences, a new study found. Per the AP , hotter, thinner air that allows balls to fly farther contributed a tiny bit to a surge in home runs...
Dictionary's Word of the Year
Angered Wordle Players
Nov 17, 2022 10:35 AM CST
Dictionary's Word of the Year Angered Wordle Players
British players weren't familiar with 'homer'
- The Cambridge Dictionary's word of the year is one that infuriated British players of Wordle who knew it only as the name of an ancient Greek poet—or Bart Simpson's dad. The dictionary says "homer" saw the biggest search spike of the year, with some 79,000...
Fan Who Caught Judge's
HR Ball Gets a Huge Offer
Oct 6, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Fan Who Caught Judge's HR Ball Gets a Huge Offer
Calif. auction house owner says he's willing to pay Cory Youmans $2M for the record-setting ball
- The fan who caught the ball from Aaron Judge's 62nd home run of the season—a slam that propelled the 30-year-old slugger for the New York Yankees into the record books, breaking Roger Maris' number for most home runs in a season for the American League—has a big...
Pujols Hits 701
Oct 1, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Honored With Gold-Plated Bat, Pujols Hits 701
Retiring star is playing his final series at Busch Stadium
- It had been a solid week since Albert Pujols had hit a home run. When the Cardinals returned home to St. Louis on Friday night, a pregame ceremony recognized that homer, his 700th, and the owners presented the star with a gold-plated bat to mark the milestone. In the fourth...
With This Swing, He
Joins Exclusive Club
Aug 23, 2021 7:49 AM CDT
With This Swing, He Joins Exclusive Club
Miguel Cabrera of the Tigers hits his 500th home run
- Somewhere around 20,000 players have appeared in a Major League Baseball game, and only 27 of them had hit 500 home runs before this weekend. On Sunday, Miguel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers became No. 28 with a 400-foot blast in the sixth inning against Toronto, reports CNN . Watch...
Star Player Injures Himself
Celebrating Clutch Home Run
Oct 19, 2020 11:05 AM CDT
Star Player Injures Himself Celebrating Clutch Home Run
Dodgers' Cody Bellinger dislocates his shoulder
- The Los Angeles Dodgers advanced to the World Series thanks in no small part to Cody Bellinger's tie-breaking home run against Atlanta in the 7th inning Sunday night. As it turns out, Bellinger actually hurt himself celebrating the feat, reports
. The outfielder dislocated his right shoulder when...
Lands in an
Sep 28, 2020 7:10 PM CDT
Home Run Lands in an Amazing Spot
Cardinals outfielder hits painting sitting in the upper deck
- Old-timey ballparks often had advertising signs in the outfield inviting players to take a shot at them, promising a free something as a reward. "Hit sign, win suit," hanging in right-center field of Ebbets Field in Brooklyn, was a famous one, Dutch Baseball Hangouts reports. There doesn't...
He Hit a Home Run, Then
'Not the Smartest Move'
Sep 18, 2020 6:59 AM CDT
He Hit a Home Run, Then 'Not the Smartest Move'
Minnesota Twins' Josh Donaldson is ejected after words with umpire Dan Bellino and a lot of dust
- With a four-game playoff series hanging in the balance between the Minnesota Twins and Chicago White Sox on Thursday, Josh Donaldson's home run should've given the Twins a big boost. And it did, until what happened as he crossed home plate. Per MLB , words were exchanged between Donaldson...
He Nabbed Ball
2 Beers, Gets
Oct 29, 2019 11:48 AM CDT
He Nabbed Ball While Holding 2 Beers, Gets Rewarded
Bud Light is sending the Washington Nationals fan back to the World Series
- Jeff Adams made headlines when, at Game 5 of the World Series on Sunday, he managed to nab a home run ball while also holding a can of beer in each hand. He was walking back to his seat at Washington DC's Nationals Park after procuring the beer when...
A Yankees Home Run
Breaks MLB Record
Jun 26, 2019 12:11 AM CDT
A Yankees Home Run Breaks MLB Record
They homered in 28th straight game
- The New York Yankees have homered for the 28th straight game, breaking a major league record. And they wasted no time setting the mark Tuesday night. DJ LeMahieu hit a leadoff shot into the second deck down the left field line against Toronto lefty Clayton Richard, giving the Bronx Bombers...
Series Game: 'Pure Joy'
Oct 27, 2018 5:30 AM CDT
Record-Setting World Series Game: 'Pure Joy'
LA Dodgers beat Boston Red Sox 3-2 in longest game in World Series history: 7 hours, 20 minutes
- Exhausted yet exhilarated, the Dodgers headed home for a catnap, while the Red Sox may toss and turn thinking about one that got away. Max Muncy's home run leading off the bottom of the 18th inning finally ended the longest World Series game in history early Saturday, giving Los...
Fight to the Finish in Wild
World Series Game
Oct 30, 2017 12:52 AM CDT
Fight to the Finish in Wild World Series Game
22 home runs set a new WS record; Astros win against Dodgers 13-12
- Alex Bregman hit a game-ending single off Kenley Jansen with two outs in the 10th inning, and the Houston Astros outslugged the Los Angeles Dodgers 13-12 Sunday night to take a 3-2 World Series lead. Silent early when ace Dallas Keuchel allowed Los Angeles to spurt ahead 4-0, the crowd...
MLB Home Run Record
Likely to Be Broken Today
Sep 19, 2017 1:33 PM CDT
MLB Home Run Record Likely to Be Broken Today
It's not clear why there are so many homers these days
- Giancarlo Stanton's smacks, Aaron Judge's jolts, and all those dizzying long balls helped Major League Baseball move another poke closer to the inevitable. Nearly two decades after the height of the Steroids Era, the sport is on track to break its season record for home runs on Tuesday—...
MLB Rookie Makes
Apr 9, 2016 10:20 AM CDT
MLB Rookie Makes Dinger-Socking History
So. Many. Home runs
- Colorado Rockies rookie Trevor Story is socking dingers and mashing taters at a historic rate through the first four games of the baseball season. ESPN reports the 23-year-old is the first major league rookie to homer in each of his first four professional games and only the fifth player since...
A-Rod Ties Willie Mays,
and Yanks Won't Pay Up
May 2, 2015 3:47 PM CDT
A-Rod Ties Willie Mays, and Yanks Won't Pay Up
Team balks at $6M bonus
- It should have been confetti time: Alex Rodriguez hit home run No. 660 last night to tie Willie Mays for fourth place on the all-time list. The Yankees, however, are balking at paying a $6 million bonus for the milestone that was negotiated in the more innocent A-Rod days of...
Jim Thome Hits
Aug 16, 2011 2:26 PM CDT
Jim Thome Hits 600th Homer... Without Steroids
Baseball's 'nicest guy' joins select club
- With two home runs last night against the Detroit Tigers, Minnesota Twin Jim Thome became the eighth ballplayer ever to hit 600 out of the park. Perhaps most remarkable about this feat is that he achieved it without steroids—unlike many of the other top sluggers of his era, writes...
Jul 9, 2011 3:17 PM CDT
Yankees Fan Returns Jeter's Milestone Ball
Christian Lopez gives up potentially big payday
- It's no great shock that Derek Jeter got his 3,000th hit today, but this part of the story is a nice surprise: The fan who got the home-run ball gave it back, no questions asked. "I'm not going to be the one to take this away...
A-Rod (Finally) Hits
600th Home Run
Aug 4, 2010 1:31 PM CDT
A-Rod (Finally) Hits 600th Home Run
At 34, he's the youngest to ever do it
- You can stop holding your breath, world. Alex Rodriguez at long last hit his 600th home run today. It's been 12 games since Rodriguez hit his 599th round-tripper, a stretch that seemed even longer because of the hype surrounding the impending milestone. But it's probably unfair to complain too much,...
Reversed HR Call for
A-Rod Lifts Yankees
Oct 31, 2009 11:51 PM CDT
Reversed HR Call for A-Rod Lifts Yankees
New York takes Game 3 over Philly, 8-5
- The first instant replay call in World Series history did more than turn a double into a home run. It changed the whole game for Alex Rodriguez and the New York Yankees. Rodriguez's disputed shot started a big comeback and those powerful Yankees bats finally broke loose, backing Andy Pettitte...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.