Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
Stories 1 - 20 |
Families Blast Cruz Decision:
'I Just Don't Understand'
Oct 13, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Families Blast Cruz Decision: 'I Just Don't Understand'
Parkland, Florida, school shooter will not be executed
- Nikolas Cruz will not be executed for killing 17 people at a high school in Parkland, Florida, in 2018, and families of the victims don't understand it. "We are beyond disappointed with the outcome today," Lori Alhadeff, whose daughter, Alyssa was killed, said at a news conference...
It's a Life Sentence
for Nikolas Cruz
Oct 13, 2022 11:01 AM CDT
It's a Life Sentence for Nikolas Cruz
Without parole, as jury spares life of gunman at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
- A Florida jury has spared the life of Nikolas Cruz, the gunman who killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, reports the AP . The 12-member panel said Thursday that the 24-year-old should not be executed. As a result, he will get a life sentence without the chance of...
Jurors Ask to See Cruz's Gun
Oct 13, 2022 6:50 AM CDT
Jurors Ask to See Cruz's Gun
They also requested a readback of fetal alcohol testimony
- Jurors tasked with deciding whether Nikolas Cruz lives or dies have asked to see the gun he killed 17 people with. They asked to see the weapon at 5pm Wednesday, toward the end of their first day of deliberations , but Broward Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer said she was unable to...
The Life of
Soon Goes to
Oct 12, 2022 6:42 AM CDT
The Life of Parkland Shooter Soon Goes to Jury's Hands
Deliberations begin Wednesday in penalty phase of Nikolas Cruz trial
- The prosecutor and defense attorney for Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz agreed Tuesday that his 2018 attack that killed 17 people was horrible, but disagreed in their closing arguments on whether it was an act of evil worthy of execution or one of a broken person who should be imprisoned...
Defense Makes Shock Move
in Cruz Case, Shouting Ensues
Sep 14, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
Defense Makes Shock Move in Cruz Case, Shouting Ensues
Judge and lead defense attorney get into it
- Attorneys for Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz suddenly and surprisingly rested their case Wednesday, leading to a shouting match after the judge accused them of a lack of professionalism. Cruz's attorneys had told the judge and prosecutors they would be calling 80 witnesses but rested at the beginning of...
Lawyer: Nikolas Cruz Was
'Poisoned in the Womb'
Aug 22, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Lawyer: Nikolas Cruz Was 'Poisoned in the Womb'
Witness testifies that school shooter's mother refused to stop using drugs when pregnant
- After weeks of harrowing testimony in the penalty trial of school shooter Nikolas Cruz, his defense team wants jurors to know more about the "person responsible for all that pain and all of that suffering." Public defender Melisa McNeill said in her opening statement Monday that jurors would...
Defense Expert: Small Talk
With Cruz Was Revealing
Aug 16, 2022 4:51 PM CDT
Defense Expert: Small Talk With Cruz Was Revealing
He said it's clear school shooter still has 'irrational thoughts'
- Prosecutors rested their case in Nikolas Cruz's death penalty trial on Aug. 4 ; the defense will get its turn starting Monday. In the interim, both sides are arguing before Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer about whether the brain scans, tests, and other evidence the defense wants to present is scientifically...
Jurors Head to Bloodstained
Parkland School Building
Aug 4, 2022 7:20 AM CDT
Jurors Head to Bloodstained Parkland School Building
They'll travel there Thursday under heavy security
- Jurors in the trial of Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz are expected to walk through the still blood-spattered rooms of Parkland's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Thursday in a visit to the three-story building where he murdered 14 students and three staff members four years ago. The seven-man,...
Victims' Families Leave
Cruz's Lawyers in Tears
Aug 3, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
Victims' Families Leave Cruz's Lawyers in Tears
He was 'love personified,' Victoria Gonzalez said of boyfriend Joaquin Oliver
- Attorneys representing Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz were moved to tears Tuesday as parents described the holes left in their lives by the loss of their children at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Assistant Public Defenders Tamara Curtis and Nawal Najet Bashiman both "had to remove their face masks...
Sat Next to
Jul 23, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Parkland Gunman Sat Next to Victim's Brother at McDonald's
John Wilford didn't know who the shooter was in aftermath of attack
- After fleeing the chaos at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., on Feb. 14, 2018, John Wilford, then a freshman, walked to a nearby McDonald's, where he waited for his mother to pick him up. He didn't yet realize his sister, Maddy, had been shot at...
Harrowing Video, Testimony
Introduced in Cruz Trial
Jul 19, 2022 7:41 PM CDT
Harrowing Video, Testimony Introduced in Cruz Trial
Survivor testifies that he tried to believe mass shooting wasn't real
- Jurors tasked with deciding whether Nikolas Cruz should get the death penalty heard harrowing testimony and viewed a graphic video Tuesday. The video—shown to jurors, and later, reporters, but not the gallery—shows Cruz stalking through a classroom building at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, firing at everybody in...
Victim's Father Interrupts Biden,
Who Agrees on New Gun Law
Jul 11, 2022 4:39 PM CDT
Victim's Father Interrupts Biden, Who Agrees on New Gun Law
Advocates at White House and outside want stronger legislation
- People affected by gun violence addressed a gathering on the White House lawn Monday to mark the passage of new restrictions involving weapons, then another shouted down President Biden from the crowd. Manuel Oliver, whose son Joaquin was killed in the 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School...
Potential Juror Appears to
Threaten School Shooter
Apr 26, 2022 6:49 PM CDT
Potential Juror Appears to Threaten School Shooter
Cops say they surrounded Nikolas Cruz to prevent possible brawl
- Deputies protecting Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz had to pull him aside and surround him Tuesday after a member of a jury pool mouthed possible threats toward him and caused others to become "excited," leading them to fear a potential brawl, officials said. A 70-member pool of potential...
FBI Didn't Act
on Tip About
Now Feds Are
Mar 17, 2022 1:09 AM CDT
FBI Didn't Act on Tip About Parkland Shooter. Now Feds Are Paying Millions
$127.5M settlement reached in Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting
- Federal officials confirmed Wednesday that the US Department of Justice has reached a multimillion-dollar settlement with the families of most of those killed or wounded in a 2018 Florida high school massacre over the FBI's failure to stop the gunman even though it had received information he intended to...
Survivors Protest at
White House, Slam Biden
Feb 15, 2022 2:04 AM CST
Parkland Families, Survivors Protest at White House, Slam Biden
Father of one victim arrested after scaling crane
- Four years after 17 students and others were gunned down at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., families and gun control advocates pressed President Biden on Monday to do more to address gun violence. Protesters demonstrated near the White House, and the father of one teenager killed at the...
In Parkland, a New Threat:
'I Hope Y'all Aren't Snitches'
Dec 3, 2021 4:15 PM CST
In Parkland, a New Threat: 'I Hope Y'all Aren't Snitches'
17-year-old junior arrested after hinting at school shooting at Stoneman Douglas
- A South Florida teenager has been arrested after investigators learned he made a threat against Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, the site of a mass shooting that killed 17 people on Valentine's Day in 2018. A caller reported seeing the threat late Wednesday night, according to the Broward Sheriff'...
Parkland Families Settle
Suit Over FBI Inaction
Nov 23, 2021 12:00 AM CST
Parkland Families Settle Suit Over FBI Inaction
Case concerned FBI's inaction after receiving a tip about the killer's plans
This story has been updated with new information from the
Wall Street Journal. The families of most of those killed and wounded in the 2018 Florida high school massacre announced Monday they have settled their lawsuit against the federal government over the FBI's failure to stop the gunman...
Nikolas Cruz's Lawyer in
Court: Burgundy Isn't Maroon
Nov 16, 2021 2:42 PM CST
Nikolas Cruz's Lawyer in Court: Burgundy Isn't Maroon
Team trying to bar prosecutors from showing evidence in January death penalty phase of trial
- Attorneys for Florida high school shooter Nikolas Cruz told a judge Monday that detectives made false statements to get the search warrants allowing them to seize evidence from his cellphone and bedroom—arguing at one point that burgundy and maroon are not the same color. The attorneys want Circuit Judge...
Nikolas Cruz Admits Anxiety as
He Pleads Guilty to Massacre
Oct 20, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Nikolas Cruz Admits Anxiety as He Pleads Guilty to Massacre
Parkland shooter admits to 17 counts of murder, 17 of attempted murder
- Nikolas Cruz pleaded guilty to murder on Wednesday in the 2018 high school massacre in Parkland, Fla., that left 17 dead. Cruz, 23, entered his plea after answering a long list of questions from Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer aimed at confirming his mental competency. Local 10 reports he did tell...
Dual Guilty Pleas in
Play for Parkland Suspect
Oct 15, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Dual Guilty Pleas in Play for Parkland Suspect
Nikolas Cruz admits to assaulting jail guard, will enter plea Wednesday for 2018 school massacre
- The suspect accused of carrying out the 2018 mass shooting at a Parkland, Fla., high school that killed 14 students and three staff members and injured 17 others will be entering a guilty plea in that case next week, his lawyer announced Friday. CNN reports that Broward County Circuit Judge...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
82-Year-Old Arrested Over Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.