Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
Stories 1 - 20 |
Parkland School Massacre
Will Be Reenacted—Twice
Jul 13, 2023 3:37 PM CDT
Parkland School Massacre Will Be Reenacted—Twice
Both sides in civil case will get the chance to replicate the gunfire with blanks
- The 2018 Parkland high school massacre will be reenacted twice with the firing of about 140 blanks on campus as part of families' lawsuits against the former sheriff's deputy they accuse of failing to stop the gunman, a judge ruled Wednesday. Circuit Judge Carol-Lisa Phillips granted the motion from...
Parkland Victims' Families
Finally See Massacre Site
Jul 6, 2023 12:39 AM CDT
Parkland Victims' Families Finally See Massacre Site
Private tours of the high school, which will be demolished, begin
- For more than five years, the bloodstained halls and classrooms where 17 people died in the Parkland school shooting has remained locked away and mostly untouched—not even the victims' families were allowed inside. That changed Wednesday, as heart-wrenching private tours began for relatives of the 14 students and three...
Deputy Weeps After Acquittal
in School Shooting Trial
Jun 29, 2023 2:47 PM CDT
Deputy Weeps After Acquittal in School Shooting Trial
Scot Peterson was accused of failing to stop the Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooter
- A Florida sheriff's deputy was acquitted Thursday of felony child neglect and other charges for his actions during the 2018 Parkland school massacre, concluding the first trial in US history of a law enforcement officer for conduct during an on-campus shooting. Former Broward County Deputy Scot Peterson wept as...
Florida Deputy's Face Went
'Blank' During Mass Shooting
Jun 20, 2023 1:13 PM CDT
Florida Deputy's Face Went 'Blank' During Mass Shooting
Scot Peterson on trial for failing to try to stop massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
- The face of a former Florida sheriff's deputy went “blank” as shots rang out from a Parkland high school building five years ago, and he did not appear to grasp that a gunman was inside killing 17 people, a former supervisor testified during the deputy's trial Tuesday....
Ex-Officer's School Shooting
Trial Is the First of Its Kind
Jun 8, 2023 8:57 AM CDT
Ex-Officer's School Shooting Trial Is the First of Its Kind
Scot Peterson faces felony child neglect charges in Parkland shooting
- In a case that could have major implications for policing across America, the former school resource officer who failed to enter the building where a gunman massacred 17 people in 2018 has gone on trial. Scot Peterson faces charges including seven felony counts of child neglect in connection with the...
Jun 6, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Commission: Parkland Judge Should Be Reprimanded
Elizabeth Scherer showed bias toward prosecution in trial, allowed 'emotions to overcome' judgment
- The Florida judge who oversaw the penalty trial of Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz should be publicly reprimanded for showing bias toward the prosecution, failing to curtail "vitriolic statements" directed at Cruz's attorneys, and allowing "emotions to overcome her judgment," reports the AP . The Judicial Qualifications...
Families Blast Cruz Decision:
'I Just Don't Understand'
Oct 13, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Families Blast Cruz Decision: 'I Just Don't Understand'
Parkland, Florida, school shooter will not be executed
- Nikolas Cruz will not be executed for killing 17 people at a high school in Parkland, Florida, in 2018, and families of the victims don't understand it. "We are beyond disappointed with the outcome today," Lori Alhadeff, whose daughter, Alyssa was killed, said at a news conference...
It's a Life Sentence
for Nikolas Cruz
Oct 13, 2022 11:01 AM CDT
It's a Life Sentence for Nikolas Cruz
Without parole, as jury spares life of gunman at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
- A Florida jury has spared the life of Nikolas Cruz, the gunman who killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, reports the AP . The 12-member panel said Thursday that the 24-year-old should not be executed. As a result, he will get a life sentence without the chance of...
Jurors Ask to See Cruz's Gun
Oct 13, 2022 6:50 AM CDT
Jurors Ask to See Cruz's Gun
They also requested a readback of fetal alcohol testimony
- Jurors tasked with deciding whether Nikolas Cruz lives or dies have asked to see the gun he killed 17 people with. They asked to see the weapon at 5pm Wednesday, toward the end of their first day of deliberations , but Broward Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer said she was unable to...
The Life of
Soon Goes to
Oct 12, 2022 6:42 AM CDT
The Life of Parkland Shooter Soon Goes to Jury's Hands
Deliberations begin Wednesday in penalty phase of Nikolas Cruz trial
- The prosecutor and defense attorney for Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz agreed Tuesday that his 2018 attack that killed 17 people was horrible, but disagreed in their closing arguments on whether it was an act of evil worthy of execution or one of a broken person who should be imprisoned...
Defense Makes Shock Move
in Cruz Case, Shouting Ensues
Sep 14, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
Defense Makes Shock Move in Cruz Case, Shouting Ensues
Judge and lead defense attorney get into it
- Attorneys for Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz suddenly and surprisingly rested their case Wednesday, leading to a shouting match after the judge accused them of a lack of professionalism. Cruz's attorneys had told the judge and prosecutors they would be calling 80 witnesses but rested at the beginning of...
Lawyer: Nikolas Cruz Was
'Poisoned in the Womb'
Aug 22, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Lawyer: Nikolas Cruz Was 'Poisoned in the Womb'
Witness testifies that school shooter's mother refused to stop using drugs when pregnant
- After weeks of harrowing testimony in the penalty trial of school shooter Nikolas Cruz, his defense team wants jurors to know more about the "person responsible for all that pain and all of that suffering." Public defender Melisa McNeill said in her opening statement Monday that jurors would...
Defense Expert: Small Talk
With Cruz Was Revealing
Aug 16, 2022 4:51 PM CDT
Defense Expert: Small Talk With Cruz Was Revealing
He said it's clear school shooter still has 'irrational thoughts'
- Prosecutors rested their case in Nikolas Cruz's death penalty trial on Aug. 4 ; the defense will get its turn starting Monday. In the interim, both sides are arguing before Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer about whether the brain scans, tests, and other evidence the defense wants to present is scientifically...
Jurors Head to Bloodstained
Parkland School Building
Aug 4, 2022 7:20 AM CDT
Jurors Head to Bloodstained Parkland School Building
They'll travel there Thursday under heavy security
- Jurors in the trial of Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz are expected to walk through the still blood-spattered rooms of Parkland's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Thursday in a visit to the three-story building where he murdered 14 students and three staff members four years ago. The seven-man,...
Victims' Families Leave
Cruz's Lawyers in Tears
Aug 3, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
Victims' Families Leave Cruz's Lawyers in Tears
He was 'love personified,' Victoria Gonzalez said of boyfriend Joaquin Oliver
- Attorneys representing Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz were moved to tears Tuesday as parents described the holes left in their lives by the loss of their children at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Assistant Public Defenders Tamara Curtis and Nawal Najet Bashiman both "had to remove their face masks...
Sat Next to
Jul 23, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Parkland Gunman Sat Next to Victim's Brother at McDonald's
John Wilford didn't know who the shooter was in aftermath of attack
- After fleeing the chaos at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., on Feb. 14, 2018, John Wilford, then a freshman, walked to a nearby McDonald's, where he waited for his mother to pick him up. He didn't yet realize his sister, Maddy, had been shot at...
Harrowing Video, Testimony
Introduced in Cruz Trial
Jul 19, 2022 7:41 PM CDT
Harrowing Video, Testimony Introduced in Cruz Trial
Survivor testifies that he tried to believe mass shooting wasn't real
- Jurors tasked with deciding whether Nikolas Cruz should get the death penalty heard harrowing testimony and viewed a graphic video Tuesday. The video—shown to jurors, and later, reporters, but not the gallery—shows Cruz stalking through a classroom building at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, firing at everybody in...
Victim's Father Interrupts Biden,
Who Agrees on New Gun Law
Jul 11, 2022 4:39 PM CDT
Victim's Father Interrupts Biden, Who Agrees on New Gun Law
Advocates at White House and outside want stronger legislation
- People affected by gun violence addressed a gathering on the White House lawn Monday to mark the passage of new restrictions involving weapons, then another shouted down President Biden from the crowd. Manuel Oliver, whose son Joaquin was killed in the 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School...
Potential Juror Appears to
Threaten School Shooter
Apr 26, 2022 6:49 PM CDT
Potential Juror Appears to Threaten School Shooter
Cops say they surrounded Nikolas Cruz to prevent possible brawl
- Deputies protecting Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz had to pull him aside and surround him Tuesday after a member of a jury pool mouthed possible threats toward him and caused others to become "excited," leading them to fear a potential brawl, officials said. A 70-member pool of potential...
FBI Didn't Act
on Tip About
Now Feds Are
Mar 17, 2022 1:09 AM CDT
FBI Didn't Act on Tip About Parkland Shooter. Now Feds Are Paying Millions
$127.5M settlement reached in Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting
- Federal officials confirmed Wednesday that the US Department of Justice has reached a multimillion-dollar settlement with the families of most of those killed or wounded in a 2018 Florida high school massacre over the FBI's failure to stop the gunman even though it had received information he intended to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.