Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Coinbase to Pay $100M in
Settlement With NY Regulators
Jan 4, 2023 2:47 PM CST
Coinbase to Pay $100M in Settlement With NY Regulators
State says it took months for cryptocurrency platform to report suspicious activity
- New York announced a $100 million settlement with Coinbase on Wednesday over what state officials called significant failures in the cryptocurrency trading platform's systems for spotting potential criminal activity. According to the state Department of Financial Services, Coinbase's anti-money-laundering program and its system for monitoring transactions for suspicious...
Stocks Headed for
Worst Year Since 2008
Dec 30, 2022 6:37 AM CST
Stocks Headed for Worst Year Since 2008
The picture is even worse for cryptocurrencies
- Friday is the last trading day in a year many on Wall Street will be glad to see the last of. Stock futures fell overnight, leaving major indexes on course for their worst year since 2008, CNBC reports. The S&P 500 dropped 19.24% in 2022, the Nasdaq plunged...
Dec 12, 2022 7:30 PM CST
FTX Founder Arrested in Bahamas
Sam Bankman-Fried was picked up at US request after prosecutors filed an indictment
- Sam Bankman-Fried, who is under criminal investigation in both places over the collapse of the crypto firm he founded, was arrested Monday in the Bahamas after an indictment was filed against him in the US. The announcement was made by US Attorney Damian Williams, who said the US government had...
OK, I'll Talk to Congress
Dec 9, 2022 1:45 PM CST
Sam Bankman-Fried: OK, I'll Talk to Congress
Ex-CEO of failed FTX set to appear Tuesday in front of House Committee on Financial Services
- Sam Bankman-Fried has been talking to the media about the collapse of his FTX cryptocurrency firm, and now he says he's willing to talk to Congress, too. CNBC reports that Bankman-Fried announced as much Friday in a series of tweets , writing that he'll be at the Tuesday morning...
Bankman-Fried Talks His Net
Worth, 'Biggest Single' Mistake
Nov 30, 2022 8:27 AM CST
Bankman-Fried Talks His Net Worth, 'Biggest Single' Mistake
Ex-FTX CEO, who notes he had $100K last he checked, says he shouldn't have filed Chapter 11
- It's not clear if FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried has a legal team or anyone else advising him to stay tight-lipped after the collapse of his crytocurrency exchange, costing him his entire fortune—but if he does, he's ignoring that advice. As part of what critics are calling a...
Crypto Lender With
to FTX Goes Bankrupt
Nov 28, 2022 3:40 PM CST
Crypto Lender With 'Significant Exposure' to FTX Goes Bankrupt
BlockFi signed deal with exchange earlier this year
- A cryptocurrency lender that struck a deal with FTX when the market soured earlier this year has followed the crypto exchange into bankruptcy. BlockFi said Monday that it had filed for bankruptcy protection and would use the process to "focus on recovering all obligations owed to BlockFi by its...
The Weird Connection Between
FTX and a Tiny Rural Bank
Nov 24, 2022 11:56 AM CST
The Weird Connection Between FTX and a Tiny Rural Bank
It raises more questions about failed cryptocurrency exchange
- There is no shortage of questions swirling around the imploded cryptocurrency exchange FTX, but the
New York Times
raises a particularly unusual one: Why did FTX invest a huge sum in a rural Washington bank so small it didn't even provide online banking? As the paper explains, the revelation...
FTX Bankruptcy Mess
Gets Even Worse
Nov 22, 2022 9:08 PM CST
FTX Bankruptcy Mess Gets Even Worse
Lawyers say 'substantial amount' of assets has been stolen
- Lawyers for FTX disclosed Tuesday that a “substantial amount" of assets has been stolen from the accounts of the collapsed cryptocurrency exchange, diminishing the odds that its millions of investors will get their money back. The admission came during FTX's first court appearance since the company filed for...
Over Ads for
Nov 16, 2022 4:42 PM CST
Stars Sued Over Ads for FTX 'Ponzi Scheme'
Class-action filing says celebrities deceptively encouraged investments in failing crypto exchange
- The pain felt by investors in FTX might at some point be shared by the celebrities who made ads promoting it. A new class-action lawsuit names a raft of celebrities who promoted the now-bankrupt cryptocurrency exchange, saying the deceptive endorsements were designed to prompt "unsophisticated investors" to put their...
I Didn't Flee to Argentina
Nov 14, 2022 5:21 AM CST
Sam Bankman-Fried: I Didn't Flee to Argentina
Speculation had swirled that he left the Bahamas
- Sam Bankman-Fried, once the wealthiest person in the world under 30 and now reportedly worth nearly nothing following the collapse of FTX , the cryptocurrency exchange he co-founded and ran, says he has not fled to Argentina. There was speculation that he had, and FlightRadar24 tweeted as much, but when Reuters...
His $16B Net Worth
Just Went Poof
Nov 11, 2022 1:27 PM CST
His $16B Net Worth Just Went Poof
Sam Bankman-Fried's billions vanished with collapse of FTX crypto exchange
- Last year,
described Sam Bankman-Fried, then-CEO of cryptocurrency exchange FTX, as the richest person in the world under 30, with an estimated net worth of more than $20 billion. Bankman-Fried is no longer under 30, no longer the CEO of FTX, and according to Bloomberg , his net worth might...
Collapse of Crypto Exchange
Is Taking a Toll on Bitcoin
Nov 11, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Collapse of Crypto Exchange Is Taking a Toll on Bitcoin
FTX files for bankruptcy, and the drama is hurting the value of the top cryptocoin
- Embattled cryptocurrency exchange FTX—short billions of dollars—is seeking bankruptcy protection following its collapse this week. Meanwhile, FTX and its CEO and founder Sam Bankman-Fried are under investigation by the DOJ and the SEC to determine whether any criminal activity or securities offenses were committed, per the AP . The...
Wall Street Has the
Nov 9, 2022 3:41 PM CST
Wall Street Has the Post-Election Blues
Dow drops 647 points, cryptocurrencies plummet
- Wall Street closed sharply lower Wednesday, giving back a big chunk of the gains built in a three-day rally running up to Election Day. The S&P 500 fell 79.54 points, or 2.1%, to 3,748.57. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 646.89 points, or 2%,...
DOJ Recovers Stolen Bitcoin
Once Valued at $3.36B—
in Popcorn Tin
Nov 8, 2022 6:01 AM CST
DOJ Recovers Stolen Bitcoin Once Valued at $3.36B— in Popcorn Tin
It was stolen from Silk Road in 2012, is now only worth about $1B
- Bitcoin valued at $3.36 billion was stolen from the dark web marketplace Silk Road in 2012. A decade later, it's been recovered, though it's lost quite a bit of value since then. The US Department of Justice announced Monday that the stolen cryptocurrency was seized last November,...
Couple in Hot Water After
$6M Bank Transfer Error
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 15, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Couple in Hot Water After $6M Bank Transfer Error
They spent millions sent to them errantly by a cryptocurrency company
- So what would you do if a cryptocurrency company accidentally transferred more than $6 million into your bank account? Thevamanogari Manivel and partner Jatinder Singh of Australia went on a monumental spending spree—one that included four houses—and now both are in big legal trouble as a result, reports...
Kim Kardashian Got $250K for
Post—Then Was Fined $1.26M
Oct 3, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Kim Kardashian Got $250K for Post—Then Was Fined $1.26M
She promoted EthereumMax but didn't disclose she was paid to do so
- "ARE YOU INTO CRYPTO??? THIS IS NOT FINANCIAL ADVICE BUT SHARING WHAT MY FRIENDS JUST TOLD ME ABOUT THE ETHEREUM MAX TOKEN." So began an Instagram post Kim Kardashian posted in June 2021, in which she pushed EthereumMax’s crypto asset. She did mark it with #ad, but...
Lawsuit Against Musk Expands
Sep 8, 2022 8:32 AM CDT
$258B Cryptocurrency Lawsuit Against Musk Expands
Investors accuse of him of inflating Dogecoin's value before letting it crash
- A lawsuit accusing Elon Musk and his companies of artificially driving up the price of the Dogecoin cryptocurrency before letting it crash in 2021 has expanded, adding new defendants and new investor plaintiffs, according to a court filing. Reuters reports that the $258 billion lawsuit now includes Musk's Boring...
He Lost $187M in Bitcoin,
Has Idea How to Get It Back
Aug 3, 2022 3:19 PM CDT
He Lost $187M in Bitcoin, Has Idea How to Get It Back
James Howells' latest plan involves AI
- James Howells' claim to fame is the fortune that he lost. In 2013 the computer engineer accidentally tossed a hard drive containing 8,000 bitcoins. At their current value of about $23,400 a pop, those missing bitcoins are worth roughly $187 million; at their November 2021 peak, it would...
Robinhood Has More
Bad News for Its Employees
Aug 3, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Robinhood Has More Bad News for Its Employees
After slashing 9% of workforce earlier this year, CEO Tenev announces another 23% has to go
- Robinhood Markets said Tuesday it's cutting nearly a quarter of its workforce, as crashing cryptocurrency prices and a turbulent stock market keep more customers off its trading app. CEO Vlad Tenev said the company, whose easy-to-use app helped bring a new generation of investors to the market, will reduce...
Feds Say Crypto Firm
Was $300M Ponzi Scheme
Aug 2, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
Feds Say Crypto Firm Was $300M Ponzi Scheme
Forsage's founders among 11 charged by SEC
- Cryptocurrency firm Forsage used technology undreamt of when Charles Ponzi was ripping off investors in the 1920s but regulators say the basic idea was the same: A scam in which investors promised big returns were paid off with money from later investors. The Securities and Exchange Commission has charged 11...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.