Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Energy Department, Other
Agencies Hit by 'Intrusions'
Jun 16, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
Energy Department, Other Agencies Hit by 'Intrusions'
Ransomware attack that appears to have exploited a computer flaw has affected other groups globally
- The Department of Energy and multiple other federal agencies are the victims of a ransomware attack that has already hit businesses in the UK and elsewhere around the globe. The US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, or CISA, is lending support to those agencies "that have experienced intrusions,"...
Says It Was
Hit by Cyberattack
Dec 21, 2022 6:10 PM CST
Says It Was Hit by Cyberattack
British newspaper tells employees to work from home after suspected ransomware attack
says that it has been hit by a suspected ransomware attack but that its online publishing is, evidently, largely unaffected. Executives said the newspaper hopes to go ahead with its Thursday print edition. The British paper reported "a serious IT incident" starting Tuesday night, and staff at...
Hackers to College Students:
'For You, It's a Sad Day'
Dec 20, 2022 3:27 PM CST
Hackers to College Students: 'For You, It's a Sad Day'
Knox College's ransomware attack represents 'escalation in the extortion market'
- Ransomware attacks against educational institutions are on the rise, with Illinois' Knox College becoming the latest victim. But as NBC News reports, this attack is unique as it "marks the first known case in which hackers used their access to contact students directly in order to intimidate them."...
Opened Door to Chain's Hack
Sep 18, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Easy-to-Guess Password Opened Door to Chain's Hack
Attackers of Holiday Inn's owner seem to have destroyed data for fun, not profit, which concerns experts
- Hackers said they roamed throughout the databases of the company that owns Holiday Inn, destroying data once they were thwarted in their attempt to launch a ransomware attack. The Intercontinental Hotels Group intrusion last week worried experts in a couple of ways, the BBC reports. The hackers were blocked at...
Costa Rica's New President
Declares State of Emergency
May 13, 2022 4:11 AM CDT
Costa Rica's New President Declares State of Emergency
Country has been hit by ransomware attacks
- After a month of crippling ransomware attacks, Costa Rica has declared a state of emergency. In theory, the measure usually reserved to deal with natural disasters or the COVID-19 pandemic would free up the government to react more nimbly to the crisis. President Rodrigo Chaves, who was sworn in Sunday,...
May 10, 2022 1:26 AM CDT
Cyberattack Doomed 157-Year-Old College
Lincoln College shutting its doors due to ransomware attack, COVID pandemic
- For the first time in the US, a higher education institution is shuttering, in part, due to a ransomware attack. Lincoln College, an Illinois school that qualifies as a predominantly Black institution and which opened in 1865 as the namesake school of Abraham Lincoln, is closing Friday after also struggling...
Free USB Drives
Could Be Costly
Jan 10, 2022 6:00 PM CST
Free USB Drives Could Be Costly
Hackers are loading malware and ransomware, hoping to fool users
- The gesture seems so thoughtful. A package apparently from the Department of Health and Human Services is sent to a workplace, with a note saying the USB drives inside have important information about COVID-19 guidelines. Or an Amazon "decorative gift box" arrives, containing a thank-you note, a bogus gift...
US Warns Software Flaw Puts
Millions of Devices at Risk
Dec 15, 2021 7:15 PM CST
US Warns Software Flaw Puts Millions of Devices at Risk
Companies need to clean up their code quickly, analysts say
- US cybersecurity officials have warned companies of a software vulnerability that could put millions of electronic devices at risk from hackers. The warning was delivered to executives Monday in a phone call involving officials of the US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, CNN reports. "We expect the vulnerability to...
Planned Parenthood Hack
Exposed 400K Patients' Data
Dec 2, 2021 8:32 AM CST
Planned Parenthood Hack Exposed 400K Patients' Data
Names, procedures of Los Angeles patients among information stolen
- One or more hackers acquired the names, birthdates, addresses, diagnoses, and procedures of some 400,000 patients of Planned Parenthood's Los Angeles branch in October, the organization revealed Wednesday. Someone accessed PPLA's network between Oct. 9 and Oct. 17, installed "malware/ransomware," and "exfiltrated" files, rep...
US Charges Hackers, Seizes
About $6M in Ransom Funds
Nov 8, 2021 5:04 PM CST
US Charges Hackers, Seizes About $6M in Ransom Funds
A Russian and a Ukrainian believed to be REvil operatives were charged
The Justice Department has charged a Ukrainian man in connection with multiple ransomware attacks, including the July 2021 attack on Kaseya, according to a statement released today. It also seized about $6 million in ransom payments. The person who apparently took the payments, a Russian named Yevgeniy Polyanin, was...
Ransomware Attack Takes
TV Stations Off the Air
Oct 18, 2021 6:15 PM CDT
Ransomware Attack Takes TV Stations Off the Air
Sinclair Broadcasting battles cyberattack
- One of the largest operators of TV stations in the US is dealing with disruptions caused by a ransomware attack. Sinclair Broadcast Group announced Monday that it was hit over the weekend. The company said hackers stole data and encrypted some operational servers, NBC reports, knocking them out of service....
Alabama Mom Sues Hospital,
Blames Ransomware for Death
Oct 2, 2021 12:49 PM CDT
Alabama Mom Sues Hospital, Blames Ransomware for Death
Nurses coping with computer outages and missed signs of fetal distress
- Nicko Silar was born with her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck. She suffered brain damage and died nine months later. Her mother, Teiranni Kidd, is suing the hospital, claiming Nicko’s death was preventable. Her own doctor, obstetrician Katelyn Parnell apparently agreed that the baby’s birth injury could...
Sites Go Dark
Jul 13, 2021 3:29 PM CDT
Ransomware Gang's Sites Go Dark
Suspects include the US, Putin, and REvil itself
- The REvil ransomware gang's latest message is: "A server with the specified hostname could not be found." That's what appeared on the Russian hackers' sites on the dark web Tuesday, CNBC reports. The group's sites had been active and were used in negotiating with its...
White House: Biden Called
Putin With a Warning
Jul 9, 2021 12:46 PM CDT
White House: Biden Called Putin With a Warning
President said US will take 'any necessary action' to stop Russian hackers
- President Biden called Vladimir Putin on Friday to deliver a warning about cyberattacks, reports Axios . Biden told Putin the US is poised to retaliate after another ransomware incident blamed on Russian hackers, according to a White House statement. “Biden reiterated that the United States will take any necessary action...
Biden Says Putin Will Get
Message on Cyberattacks
Jul 7, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Biden Says Putin Will Get Message on Cyberattacks
Latest attacks will test his vow for consequences for Russia
- President Biden said Wednesday he would "deliver" a message to Russian President Vladimir Putin about the latest ransomware attacks targeting American businesses, setting up a test of Biden's ability to balance his pledge to respond firmly to cyber breaches with his goal of developing a stable relationship with...
Jul 3, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Ransomware Attack Spreads to Hundreds of Companies
US software supplier is hit first, with fallout reaching Sweden
- An unchecked ransomware attack on a US software company has spread rapidly to companies and organizations elsewhere, even closing hundreds of grocery stores in Sweden. Cybersecurity experts called it one of the biggest criminal ransomware attacks in history, NBC reports. Kaseya, which manages programs for companies that handle internet services...
'They Do Not Care': Hackers
Love Hospitals as Targets
Jun 13, 2021 4:08 PM CDT
'They Do Not Care': Hackers Love Hospitals as Targets
Security is lax and the stakes are high, explains Wall Street Journal in an investigation
- Last week, the FBI chief put the threat posed by ransomware on par with the 9/11 attacks. If that seemed like hyperbole, an investigation by the
Wall Street Journal
might shed some light on his thinking. The newspaper catalogs 235 attacks on hospitals and psychiatric centers in the US since...
JBS Made 'Very Difficult'
Decision After Cyberattack
Jun 10, 2021 1:22 AM CDT
JBS Made 'Very Difficult' Decision After Cyberattack
Meat processing company was the victim of a ransomware attack last month
- The world’s largest meat processing company says it paid the equivalent of $11 million to hackers who broke into its computer system late last month , the AP reports. Brazil-based JBS SA said on May 31 that it was the victim of a ransomware attack, but Wednesday was the first...
Feds Seize Payment
Made to Pipeline Hackers
Jun 7, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
Feds Seize Payment Made to Pipeline Hackers
FBI led operation to recover Colonial Pipeline ransom payment from crypto wallet
- The hackers who targeted the operator of a vital US pipeline system in a ransomware attack have lost most of their ill-gotten gains, the Justice Department says. Officials said Monday that a new FBI ransomware taskforce led an operation to recover ransom paid in cryptocurrency by Colonial Pipeline, the AP...
Search,' a Reveal on
Colonial Pipeline Breach
Jun 5, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
After 'Exhaustive Search,' a Reveal on Colonial Pipeline Breach
Cybersecurity expert: Compromised password was plugged into dormant VPN account to gain access
- It all came down to one password. That's the finding of a cybersecurity expert commissioned by Colonial Pipeline to find out how hackers were able to shut down the nation's largest fuel pipeline, reports Bloomberg . According to Charles Carmakal of Mandiant, part of the FireEye cybersecurity firm, hackers...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.