Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Glacier Gives Up Explorers'
Cameras Abandoned in 1937
Nov 1, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Glacier Gives Up Explorers' Cameras Abandoned in 1937
Bradford Washburn and Robert Bates' gear moved more than 12 miles over 85 years
- Conservators hope to get an inside look at a 1937 mountaineering expedition in the Yukon thanks to the discovery of the explorers' cameras—with surviving film inside. The trip by Bradford Washburn and Robert Bates didn't go according to plan. Bad weather turned their starting point, the Walsh Glacier,...
Raise Risk of
Oct 19, 2022 4:18 PM CDT
Melting Glaciers Raise Risk of 'Viral Spillover'
Warming could make the Arctic 'fertile ground for emerging pandemics'
- The melting of Arctic glaciers could be terrible news for humanity in more ways than one, researchers say. Beyond rising sea levels, the melting raises the risk that long-frozen viruses could cause a new pandemic, researchers say in a study published in the journal
Proceedings of the Royal Society B
He Died in 1984 Avalanche.
His Body Was Just Found
Aug 16, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
He Died in 1984 Avalanche. His Body Was Just Found
Body of Indian soldier Chandrashekhar Harbola found in ruined shelter on Siachen Glacier
- An Indian soldier who disappeared in an avalanche in the Himalayas almost 40 yers ago will finally be laid to rest. The body of Chandrashekhar Harbola was discovered Saturday on the Siachen Glacier along the India-Pakistan border, a disputed area the two countries have been fighting to control since 1984....
Melting Swiss Glaciers
Reveal Bodies, Crashed Plane
Aug 9, 2022 6:42 PM CDT
Melting Swiss Glaciers Reveal Bodies, Crashed Plane
Hikers may have found body of missing billionaire
- Switzerland's melting glaciers have been giving up grim secrets amid Europe's heat wave. Two bodies have been found in recent weeks, along with the remains of a plane that crashed in 1968, the
reports. A police spokesman said Monday that climbers scaling the Chessjen glacier found the...
No One Knows for Sure
What Country This Is
in case you missed it
Jul 31, 2022 7:06 AM CDT
No One Knows for Sure What Country This Is
Melting glacier leaves Alps lodge at center of border dispute between Italy and Switzerland
- In 1984, a lodge was built high up in the Pennine Alps in what was then Italy. Now most of it is technically part of Switzerland, though its manager—at the center of an international border dispute—will refute that. The alpine border between the two countries has been traditionally...
Deadly Glacier Chunk Was
Size of Apartment Building
Jul 5, 2022 2:15 AM CDT
Deadly Glacier Chunk Was Size of Apartment Building
And it was reportedly moving at 200mph
- Thunderstorms on Monday hampered the search for more than a dozen hikers who remained unaccounted for a day after a huge chunk of an Alpine glacier in Italy's Dolomite mountains broke off , sending an avalanche of ice, snow, and rocks down the slope. Officials put the known death toll...
Melting Glacier Splits,
Killing Hikers in Alps
Jul 3, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
Melting Glacier Splits, Killing Hikers in Alps
At least 6 people died in the avalanche, and more are injured or missing
- A large chunk of an Alpine glacier broke loose Sunday afternoon and roared down a mountainside in Italy, sending ice, snow, and rock slamming into hikers on a popular trail on the peak and killing at least six people and injuring eight, authorities said. There could be about 10 people...
Everest Ice: 2K Years
to Form, 25 to Melt
Feb 4, 2022 10:52 AM CST
Everest Ice: 2K Years to Form, 25 to Melt
Study documents rapid retreat of glacier
- The ice atop Mount Everest took roughly 2,000 years to form and about 25 years to melt, according to a new study, which suggests that even one of the highest glaciers on the planet is retreating as a result of climate change. Researchers traveled to the highest glacier on...
Himalayas Melting Has
Dec 20, 2021 2:54 PM CST
Himalayas Melting Has Massively Accelerated
Glaciers are declining at an 'exceptional' rate, researchers say
- Glaciers are shrinking in many parts of the world but in the Himalayas, where the ice loss will affect hundreds of millions, they're melting at an "exceptional" rate, researchers say. University of Leeds glaciologist Jonathan Carrivick says a study that involved analyzing satellite photos of more than 15,...
Prognosis Is Poor for
Africa's Rare Glaciers
Oct 19, 2021 6:27 PM CDT
Prognosis Is Poor for Africa's Rare Glaciers
The 3 are expected to be gone by the 2040s
- Africa’s last three mountain glaciers will disappear in the next two decades because of climate change, a new report warned Tuesday amid sweeping forecasts of pain for the continent that contributes least to global warming but will suffer from it most. The report from the World Meteorological Organization and...
Mountain Glaciers Are
Melting at an Alarming Rate
Apr 28, 2021 3:20 PM CDT
Mountain Glaciers Are Melting at an Alarming Rate
They're losing 328B tons of ice and snow a year
- Glaciers are melting faster, losing 31% more snow and ice per year than they did 15 years earlier, according to three-dimensional satellite measurements of all the world’s mountain glaciers. Scientists blame human-caused climate change. Using 20 years of recently declassified satellite data, scientists calculated that the world’s 220,...
Is Likely Dead
Dec 31, 2020 10:14 AM CST
China's 'Glacier Bro' Is Likely Dead
Wang Xiangjun, 30, went missing while visiting a glacial waterfall
- A Chinese social media influencer is believed to be dead after vanishing on Dec. 20. Wang Xiangjun, known as "Glacier Bro" due to his penchant for exploring glaciers while talking about climate change, was at a glacial waterfall in Tibet when footage shows him apparently lose his balance near...
With Glacier Collapse Looming,
an 'Urgent' Evacuation
Aug 7, 2020 7:11 AM CDT
With Glacier Collapse Looming, an 'Urgent' Evacuation
Residents, tourists in Italian resort town are sent elsewhere due to risk of falling Mont Blanc ice
- As scientists nervously keep tabs on a giant section of ice in danger of falling off a Mont Blanc glacier, homes have been evacuated in the resort town of Courmayeur in Italy's Aosta Valley, while visitors have been told to go elsewhere. "We will find [alternative] solutions for...
Glacier Yields Newspapers
From 1966 Plane Crash
Jul 13, 2020 1:11 PM CDT
Glacier Yields Newspapers From 1966 Plane Crash
They're still in 'very good condition'
- January 1966 was an eventful month in Indian history: Indira Gandhi became the country's first female prime minister, and Air India Flight 101 crashed into Mont Blanc in France, killing all 117 passengers and crew. Melting ice on the mountain has now yielded remarkably well-preserved newspapers from the flight,...
Nov 10, 2019 4:21 PM CST
Hiker Found on Glacier Leaves Behind Pregnant Wife
Alan Stringer was reported missing Monday; his body was found Thursday
- A missing California hiker has been found dead atop a glacier. CNN reports Alan Stringer, 40, of Huntington Beach, didn't return home on Monday from a hike. A three-day search followed, and his body was ultimately located at the top of the Darwin Glacier in Kings Canyon National Park....
Mont Blanc Glacier
in Imminent Danger
Sep 26, 2019 3:19 AM CDT
Mont Blanc Glacier in Imminent Danger of Collapse
Ice avalanche could hit nearby valley
- Authorities have closed roads, evacuated mountain huts, and banned access to a hiking area amid fears that a glacier in the Alps is in imminent danger of collapse. Authorities say a massive 9 million-square-foot chunk of the Planpincieux glacier on the Grande Jorasses peak could break away at any time,...
Dozens Hold Funeral
for a 'Symbolic' Death
Aug 18, 2019 3:30 PM CDT
Dozens Hold Funeral for a 'Symbolic' Death
Iceland bids farewell to its first glacier lost to climate change
- It was a funeral for ice. With poetry, moments of silence, and political speeches about the urgent need to fight climate change, Icelandic officials, activists, and others bade goodbye to what once was a glacier, the AP reports. Icelandic geologist Oddur Sigurðsson pronounced the Okjokull glacier extinct about a...
3 Tourists Found
Dead on Alaska
Jul 31, 2019 12:20 PM CDT
3 Tourists Found Dead on Alaska Glacial Lake
Calving glacier may have been a factor
- Authorities are trying to determine how three German tourists died on a glacial lake in Alaska, though foul play is not suspected. A tour guide spotted two bodies floating in Valdez Glacier Lake around around 10am Tuesday, CBS News reports, and when they were recovered about four hours later a...
Old Spy Images Reveal
Bad News for Himalayas
Jun 19, 2019 3:45 PM CDT
Old Spy Images Reveal Bad News for Himalayas
Scientists use them to calculate the melting of glaciers
- Cold War era spy satellite images are showing scientists that glaciers on the Himalayas are now melting about twice as fast as they used to, the AP reports. The Asian mountain range, which includes Mount Everest, has been losing ice at a rate of about 1% a year since 2000,...
Photo of Dogs Goes Viral,
and Sparks a Conversation
Jun 18, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
Photo of Dogs Goes Viral, and Sparks a Conversation
They're walking through meltwater in Greenland
- It's no wonder the photo went viral: The sled dogs appear to be walking on water. The story behind the June 13 image is making the rounds as well. It was taken by Danish scientist Steffen Olsen in northwest Greenland, where the dogs were traversing an ice sheet roughly...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
Prince William, Kate Headed to Boston, and It's Weighty
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.