Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 17, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Youngkin Policy for Transgender Students Upends Northam's
Teachers can't be made to call students by name, pronouns of choice: draft of revamped guidelines
- A new draft for "model policies" within Virginia's public schools was released Friday, designed to replace those put in place in 2021 by former Gov. Ralph Northam for transgender and nonbinary students. Per WRIC , the new guidelines from the state's Department of Education under GOP Gov. Glenn...
Hundreds of Motorists
Rescued After Being
Stuck Overnight on I-95
Jan 5, 2022 12:10 AM CST
Hundreds of Motorists Rescued After Being Stuck Overnight on I-95
And the train that was also stuck finally reached its destination
All of the motorists stranded on I-95 amid a winter storm had been rescued by Tuesday night, the
reports. Some of them had been stuck on the highway for more than a full day, including Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine, who details his 27-hour ordeal to CNN . The
One Cop Fired After Army
Officer's Pepper Spraying
Apr 12, 2021 12:18 AM CDT
One Cop Fired After Army Officer's Pepper Spraying
Virginia State Police will probe Caron Nazario incident
- Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam on Sunday ordered the Virginia State Police to investigate the December traffic stop in which an Army second lieutenant was allegedly pepper sprayed , hit, handcuffed, threatened, and had guns drawn on him. Caron Nazario is suing over the incident, which involved two officers from the Windsor...
of Robert E. Lee
Dec 21, 2020 6:30 PM CST
Virginia Switches Out Capitol Statue of Robert E. Lee
A 16-year-old civil rights leader will be honored instead of the Confederate general
- For 111 years, Robert E. Lee has held a place of honor in the US Capitol's Statuary Hall, next to George Washington. But "Confederate images do not represent who we are in Virginia," said a state legislator who led a commission that urged removing Lee's statue....
Oct 13, 2020 12:05 PM CDT
Another Governor Was Possible Kidnapping Target
FBI agent says Virginia's Ralph Northam was discussed by paramilitary groups
- Members of anti-government paramilitary groups discussed kidnapping Virginia’s governor during a June meeting in Ohio, an FBI agent testified Tuesday during a court hearing in Michigan. Special Agent Richard Trask was part of the investigation that led to six men being arrested and charged last week with plotting to...
Sep 25, 2020 10:46 AM CDT
Another Governor Tests Positive
This time it's Virginia's Ralph Northam and his wife
- On Thursday, GOP Gov. Mike Parson of Missouri tested positive for COVID-19 . On Friday, one of his Democratic counterparts made the same announcement. Per a release cited by Axios , Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam and his wife, Pamela, both have the coronavirus. The couple were tested after they discovered a member...
Says Hold Up
Jun 9, 2020 11:29 AM CDT
Governor Wants 'Divisive Symbol' Gone, Judge Says Hold Up
Attempt to remove Robert E. Lee statue in Richmond, Va., is temporarily blocked
- Virginia Gov. Ralph Northham last week ordered the removal of an iconic statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee from Richmond "as soon as possible"—but now a judge is saying not so fast. On Monday, a judge in the former capital of the Confederacy issued a temporary...
Jerry Falwell Jr. Just
Issued a 'Rare Apology'
Jun 9, 2020 8:12 AM CDT
Jerry Falwell Jr. Just Issued a 'Rare Apology'
Liberty University president says sorry for mask 'joke' using blackface photo linked to Va. governor
- Jerry Falwell Jr.'s attempt to make a face mask joke at the expense of his state's governor has backfired—and now it's even prompted what the
New York Times
calls a "rare apology" and deleted tweet from the Liberty University president. It all started when...
Another Big Statue
Will Fall: Report
Jun 3, 2020 5:54 PM CDT
Another Big Statue Will Fall: Report
Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam plans to have statue of Robert E. Lee taken down
- Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is expected to announce plans Thursday for the removal of an iconic statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee from Richmond's prominent Monument Avenue, a senior administration official told the AP . The governor will direct the statue to be moved off its massive pedestal and...
Falwell Says There's Only
One Mask He's Going to Wear
May 28, 2020 6:20 AM CDT
Falwell Says There's Only One Mask He's Going to Wear
It has yearbook picture of Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam in blackface
- Jerry Falwell Jr. says that since Virginia's governor has ordered people to wear masks, the only one he's going to wear will have a picture of Gov. Ralph Northam on it—in blackface. The Liberty University president tweeted a photo of the mask Wednesday, which features the controversial...
Virginia Governor Goes to the
Beach Sans Mask, Takes Selfie
May 25, 2020 3:21 AM CDT
Virginia Governor Goes to the Beach Sans Mask, Takes Selfie
Ralph Northam criticized for Memorial Day weekend maskless beach visit
- Gov. Ralph Northam has repeatedly urged Virginia residents to cover their faces in public during the COVID-19 pandemic, but the Democrat didn’t heed his own plea when he posed mask-less for photographs alongside residents during a weekend beach visit, the AP reports. A spokeswoman for the governor’s office...
Virginia Residents Ordered
to Stay at Home Till June 10
Mar 30, 2020 2:09 PM CDT
Virginia Residents Ordered to Stay at Home Till June 10
Rules also take effect Monday in Maryland and North Carolina
- Residents of three more states go under "stay-at-home" orders—not suggestions—Monday. The governors of Virginia and Maryland announced that residents must remain home except for activities such as food shopping, work deemed essential, exercise (while abiding by the standard social-distancing rules), and medical care, report the
Pro-Gun Rally Brings
Thousands to Richmond
Jan 20, 2020 11:11 AM CST
Pro-Gun Rally Brings Thousands to Richmond
Large protest underway in Virginia
- Gun-rights supporters gathered en masse at Virginia's state Capitol in Richmond Monday, and things have been peaceful in the early going. Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency ahead of the march, which is taking place amid a heavy police presence and temperatures in the 20s. "...
Va. Preps for Gun Rally With
'Enormous Potential to Go Bad'
Jan 20, 2020 6:48 AM CST
Va. Preps for Gun Rally With 'Enormous Potential to Go Bad'
Capitol Square gun rights demonstration expected Monday in Richmond
- Law enforcement agencies in Virginia are planning a "strong presence" Monday as gun rights advocates are set to converge upon the state's capital of Richmond to protest proposed gun control measures. The rally is happening amid a governor-issued state of emergency barring weapons from Capitol grounds through Tuesday...
We Need 'Laws,
Jun 4, 2019 12:07 PM CDT
Virginia Governor: We Need 'Laws, Not Thoughts and Prayers'
Ralph Northam calls special session to discuss stricter gun laws
- Following the Virginia Beach mass shooting that left a dozen dead, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is recalling lawmakers to the state Capitol for a special legislative session aimed at passing new gun laws. "Votes and laws, not thoughts and prayers," are needed right now, Northam said, per the...
The Probe Into Northam's
Yearbook Photo Is Complete
May 22, 2019 11:53 AM CDT
The Probe Into Northam's Yearbook Photo Is Complete
Investigators still unsure if Virginia governor is pictured
- An investigation ordered up by a Virginia medical school failed to determine whether Gov. Ralph Northam is in a 1984 yearbook photo of a man in blackface next to someone in a Ku Klux Klan hood. Investigators with a law firm hired by Eastern Virginia Medical School said Wednesday they...
After Racist Photo Scandal,
Black Voters Have New Support
May 20, 2019 6:17 PM CDT
After Racist Photo Scandal, Black Voters Have New Support
Governor created diversity director, vetoed sentencing bills
- Issues important to black people have found new support at the top of Virginia's government lately. Since Gov. Ralph Northam faced calls to resign after he apologized for a racist yearbook photo, he's created the job of director of diversity, equity and inclusion, the
Wall Street Journal
Va. First Lady's Mansion Tour
Leaves Some 'Deeply Offended'
Feb 28, 2019 8:39 AM CST
Va. First Lady's Mansion Tour Leaves Some 'Deeply Offended'
Pam Northam handed cotton to African-American students on tour
- Another Northam fumble has emerged, with a Virginia DOE rep citing a new "racially insensitive" incident—but this time it doesn't involve Ralph Northam . The
reports it's the governor's wife, Pam Northam, who's under fire following a tour of the governor's mansion....
Northam's Word Choice Gets
Him Deeper Into Hot Water
Feb 11, 2019 3:08 PM CST
Northam's Word Choice Gets Him Deeper Into Hot Water
Embattled Virginia governor refers to slaves as 'indentured servants'
- Virginia's already-embattled governor may have stepped in it Monday: In an interview with
CBS This Morning
, Ralph Northam, embroiled in a blackface scandal, started things off by saying:
"Well it has been a difficult week. And you know if you look at Virginia's history we are now
Needs My 'Moral Compass'
Feb 10, 2019 10:17 AM CST
Northam: Virginia Needs My 'Moral Compass'
'I'm not going anywhere,' embattled governor says
- Ralph Northam says he "doesn't live in a vacuum," and he's aware of calls for his resignation and he's "thought about resigning." But he tells
CBS This Morning
that "Virginia also needs someone who is strong, who has empathy, who has courage,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Elusive Tire Slasher Turned Out to Be a Dog
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.