Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Texas mass shooting
Stories 1 - 20 |
Uvalde School Board Cancels
Meeting on Firing Police Chief
Jul 22, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Uvalde School Board Cancels Meeting on Firing Police Chief
District cites 'due process requirements' in postponing discussion on Arredondo
: The meeting scheduled for Saturday in which Uvalde school officials were to discuss and possibly decide whether to fire district Chief Pete Arredondo has been called off. The district announced the cancellation in a statement Friday, citing "due process requirements" and a request by Arredondo's lawyer, the...
on Uvalde Killings
Details Total Failure
Jul 17, 2022 8:00 PM CDT
Texas Report on Uvalde Killings Details Total Failure
Legislative investigation finds 'egregious poor decision making' in response to Robb Elementary
- A Texas legislative report released Sunday spreads blame among law enforcement, the Uvalde school district, social media platforms, and the gunman's family in the mass shooting that killed 19 children and two teachers. "Systemic failures and egregious poor decision making" allowed the gunman to kill at will for...
Families React to
Uvalde Video Release:
'Who Do You Think You Are?'
Jul 13, 2022 6:15 AM CDT
Families React to Uvalde Video Release: 'Who Do You Think You Are?'
Hallway video shows cops in the hallway for nearly an hour while gunman was inside classroom
- A day after details were released of the surveillance video from a Robb Elementary School hallway on the day of the Uvalde, Texas, massacre, the video itself is out. The
obtained the footage, and on Tuesday released a four-minute video showing critical highlights, as well as a lightly...
Jul 12, 2022 5:37 AM CDT
Video From Uvalde School Hallway Shows Police Waiting
It's not clear when video might be released
has viewed a 77-minute surveillance video from the hallway of Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, on the day a gunman massacred 19 students and two teachers,
reports. The footage is not graphic, but offers what
calls "an unabridged view of police...
Arredondo Says He's
Quitting City Office
Jul 2, 2022 2:20 PM CDT
Arredondo Says He's Quitting City Office
Schools police chief calls resigning from council 'the best decision for Uvalde'
- The schools police chief blamed for law enforcement's handling of the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School says he's resigning from his new position on the Uvalde City Council. Pete Arredondo was elected May 7 and sworn in to office a week after 19 students and two teachers...
Final Victim of Uvalde Shooting,
'Sweetest Little Boy, Is Buried
Jun 25, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Final Victim of Uvalde Shooting, 'Sweetest Little Boy, Is Buried
Families, community have a long process ahead of them, experts say
- Funeral services were held Saturday for Uziyah Garcia, 10, the final victim of the mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas, to be buried. The funeral took place at Immanuel Baptist Church in San Angelo, where the boy lived until last year, the
Dallas Morning News
reports. Nineteen children and two teachers...
Uvalde School District Puts
Police Chief on Leave
Jun 22, 2022 6:50 PM CDT
Uvalde School District Puts Police Chief on Leave
Texas official criticized Pete Arredondo in legislative hearing
- The Uvalde school district's police chief was put on leave Wednesday following allegations that he erred in his response to the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School last month. Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District Superintendent Hal Harrell said that he put Pete Arredondo on administrative leave and that another...
for a Key
Jun 21, 2022 1:23 PM CDT
'He Waited for a Key That Was Never Needed'
Texas official denounces police response in Uvalde school shooting
- The police official in charge at Robb Elementary School while a gunman was killing students and teachers inside "decided to put the lives of officers ahead of the lives of children," the head of the Texas State Police said Tuesday. In testimony before a special state Senate committee...
Yet More Questions
Are Raised Regarding
Police Response in Uvalde
Jun 21, 2022 1:59 AM CDT
Yet More Questions Are Raised Regarding Police Response in Uvalde
Officers arrived earlier, and with more gear, than originally thought: reports
- Days after the revelation that police responding to the Uvalde school massacre last month didn't try the Robb Elementary School classroom door behind which the shooter was killing 21 people, another revelation raises more questions about the law enforcement response to the tragedy: According to documents and surveillance footage...
Video: Police Didn't Try
Uvalde Classroom Door
Jun 19, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Video: Police Didn't Try Uvalde Classroom Door
Law enforcement source says door might have been unlocked
- In the 77 minutes that a Texas gunman was alone in two connected classrooms with Robb Elementary students and teachers, police didn't try to open the door, a law enforcement source said. Police later claimed they couldn't get into the rooms and were hunting for a key or...
School Police Chief
Explains His Actions
Jun 10, 2022 6:50 AM CDT
Embattled Uvalde School Police Chief Explains His Actions
Pete Arredondo gives extensive interview for first time since school shooting
- In his first extensive public comments since the Robb Elementary School massacre in Uvalde, Texas, school district police chief Pete Arredondo tells the
he did not consider himself the incident commander, though that's the way the state Department of Public Safety has described him, and that he...
to Be Buried Side by Side
Jun 8, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Uvalde Sweethearts to Be Buried Side by Side
Annabell Rodriguez, Xavier Lopez would text each other 'I love you,' say their moms
- As toddlers, Annabell Rodriguez and Xavier Lopez played together at a trailer park where Xavier lived alongside Annabell's relatives. When the pair met again on the first day of fourth grade at Robb Elementary in Uvalde, Texas, they had no memory of those playdates, but they liked each other...
11-Year-Old Uvalde Survivor
Tells Her Story to Congress
Jun 8, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
11-Year-Old Uvalde Survivor Tells Her Story to Congress
'I don't feel safe at school,' says Miah Cerrillo
- A House panel is hearing this week from people affected by the mass shootings in Uvalde and Buffalo , and testimony on Wednesday drew particular attention—it came from an 11-year-old survivor of the Uvalde school shooting. In the prerecorded video , fourth grader Miah Cerrillo recalled how she and her classmates...
At Uvalde City Council
Meeting, a Big No-Show
Jun 8, 2022 6:17 AM CDT
At Uvalde City Council Meeting, a Big No-Show
Embattled school police chief Pete Arredondo, newly elected to council, bailed on his first meeting
- The Texas school district police chief who's been accused of waiting too long to order law enforcement to confront the gunman at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde has said that he'd "eventually" answer questions about the mass shooting that killed 19 students and two teachers last month....
McConaughey: They Had
to Identify Uvalde Victim
From These Shoes
Jun 7, 2022 8:42 PM CDT
McConaughey: They Had to Identify Uvalde Victim From These Shoes
Actor makes emotional speech at White House
- Matthew McConaughey made a surprise appearance at the White House on Tuesday and discussed some of the victims of the school shooting in his hometown, including 10-year-old Maite Rodriguez, who wanted to be a marine biologist. She wore green Converse shoes "with a heart she had hand drawn on...
Surviving Uvalde Teacher
Will 'Never Forgive' Police
Jun 7, 2022 4:51 PM CDT
Surviving Uvalde Teacher Will 'Never Forgive' Police
All 11 children in Arnulfo Reyes' classroom were killed in mass shooting
- A teacher who survived the Uvalde mass shooting says there is "no excuse" for police standing by for 77 minutes while children and teachers were killed. Arnulfo Reyes is hospitalized with gunshot wounds and grieving the two teachers and 19 students who were killed—including all 11 third and...
of Slain Teacher's
Final Phone Call
Jun 2, 2022 1:10 AM CDT
Devastating Details of Slain Teacher's Final Phone Call Revealed
She was on the phone with her husband, a school district police officer who was outside
- Eva Mireles' husband, Ruben Ruiz, is a school district police officer—and in the final minutes of his wife's life, Ruiz was on the phone with her as he stood outside her classroom at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, barred from entering. "She’s in the classroom...
Uvalde Chief Says He'll
Answer Questions 'Eventually'
Jun 1, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Uvalde Chief Says He'll Answer Questions 'Eventually'
'Whenever this is done and the families quit grieving, then we'll do that obviously'
- The Uvalde school district police chief accused of making the "wrong decision" during last week's school shooting has made his first public comments since the day of the massacre—but he didn't shed any light on his actions. Pedro "Pete" Arredondo told CNN Wednesday that he...
Uvalde Teacher Closed Door,
but It Didn't Lock
Jun 1, 2022 5:05 AM CDT
Uvalde Teacher Closed Door, but It Didn't Lock
Police initially said she hadn't closed the door
- Following the Uvalde mass school shooting, Texas state police initially said a Robb Elementary teacher had left an exterior door propped open and that's how the gunman entered the school. Now, they're significantly changing that story: The unnamed teacher did indeed prop a door open with a rock...
A Mass Student Strike
Could Force Gun Legislation
May 31, 2022 7:33 PM CDT
A Mass Student Strike Could Force Gun Legislation
A national strike could provide the 'hard power' that forces political change
- Columbine, Sandy Hook, Parkland, Uvalde: these are some of the place names that will forever invoke images of horror and grief. We’ve been here before, faced with the familiar “misalignment” between political will and public consensus, according to Gal Beckerman, senior editor for the
who argues that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Agent on Rushdie: 'The News Is Not Good'
They Were Enjoying Happy Hour. Then, 'Pure Panic'
Sinema Received $1M Haul, Then Killed Tax Hike on Rich Investors
Tons of Dead Fish in River: 'Most Likely Dealing With a Crime'
After Guilty Verdict, Defendant Downs Drink in Court and Dies
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.