Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It Looks Like Russian Athletes
Will Compete in 2024 Games
Jan 26, 2023 2:57 PM CST
It Looks Like Russian Athletes Will Compete in 2024 Games
But they may have to be neutral and not support the Ukraine war
- Russia's path to sending a team to the Paris Olympics next year has become clearer amid fierce objections from Ukraine. The International Olympic Committee indicated on Wednesday it favors officially neutral athletes from Russia and its ally Belarus at the 2024 Olympics, despite a plea from Ukrainian President Volodymyr...
Ukraine May Be
Flying US F-16s
Jan 26, 2023 11:50 AM CST
Ukraine May Be Flying US F-16s Before Long
The West relented on supplying tanks, and fighter jets may be next
- After much delay and consternation, the US and Germany agreed to give Ukraine heavy tanks in its fight against Russia. Expect a similar scenario to play out over fighter jets, according to reports at Politico , Reuters , and the UK
. "The next natural step would be fighters,"...
Russia Responds to Tank News
With Fresh Wave of Missiles
Jan 26, 2023 6:53 AM CST
Russia Responds to Tank News With Fresh Wave of Missiles
At least 1 person was killed in Kyiv, but Ukraine manages to shoot down most of them
- "Explosions have been heard in Kyiv—stay in your shelters" authorities in the Ukrainian capital warned Thursday, a day after Germany and the US confirmed that they would supply the country with dozens of modern tanks . As has happened after previous Ukrainian successes, Russia fired a barrage of missiles...
US to Give Ukraine Tanks
It Argued Were Too Complex
Jan 25, 2023 11:47 AM CST
US to Give Ukraine Tanks It Argued Were Too Complex
31 Abrams tanks will be sent, but likely not for many months
- As expected, President Biden on Wednesday announced that the US is following Germany's lead and will supply Ukraine with tanks. Some 31 Abrams tanks, which the president described as equivalent to one Ukrainian battalion, will be sent. Standout points:
BBC Washington correspondent Gary O'Donoghue writes that the US
Ukraine Begged for Tanks.
It's Finally Getting Them
Jan 25, 2023 6:33 AM CST
Ukraine Begged for Tanks. It's Finally Getting Them
Germany says it will send its Leopard 2 heavy tanks; US expected to send its M1 Abrams tanks
- Earlier this month, NATO allies, including the US, agreed to send combat vehicles to Ukraine to assist it in its fight against Russia. Now, Western nations are taking things up a level, at Ukraine's request, promising to ship heavier weaponry, including tanks, to the war-torn country. On Wednesday, Germany...
2 British Volunteers Killed
During Ukraine Rescue
Jan 24, 2023 6:47 PM CST
2 British Volunteers Killed During Ukraine Rescue
Men had been evacuating civilians from frontline areas
- Britain's Foreign Office has confirmed the deaths of two British citizens who had been carrying out risky evacuations of civilians from frontline areas in Ukraine. Chris Parry, 28, and Andrew Bagshaw, 47, were last seen on Jan. 6 heading to Soledar in eastern Ukraine, where there has been heavy...
Scandal Gets Worse
Jan 24, 2023 11:52 AM CST
Ukraine Corruption Scandal Gets Worse
Several regional governors are fired and the deputy defense chief resigns
- A corruption scandal in Ukraine is widening. The government of President Volodymyr Zelensky fired several Ukrainian officials on Tuesday, including regional governors, reports the
New York Times
. No details were given, but the
notes the firings came after reports emerged that the military was paying inflated prices for food...
Top Ukrainian Officials
Killed in Kyiv Helicopter Crash
Jan 18, 2023 7:08 AM CST
Top Ukrainian Officials Killed in Kyiv Helicopter Crash
Six government officials, including the minister for internal affairs, died alongside children
- A helicopter crashed Wednesday near a kindergarten outside Ukraine's capital, killing at least 16 people, including Ukraine's minister for internal affairs and three children, outlets report. The minister, Denys Monastyrsky, is the highest-ranking government official to die since the war with Russia began, according to the
Ukrainian Soldier's Case 'Will
Go Down in Medical Textbooks'
in case you missed it
Jan 15, 2023 3:55 PM CST
Ukrainian Soldier's Case 'Will Go Down in Medical Textbooks'
Unexploded grenade successfully removed from soldier's chest, military says
- Imagine living with an unexploded grenade, at risk of going off at any moment, lodged just below your heart. That was the reality for a Ukrainian soldier until recently. Doctors succeeded in removing the explosive from the chest of the man in his late 20s during surgery overseen by soldiers,...
Leaked Too Much
Jan 12, 2023 8:07 AM CST
Story on Russian Troops, Source Code Leaked Too Much
Phone numbers of soldiers, others exposed, putting at risk those who criticized war and Putin
- In late September, the
New York Times
published an interactive report that effectively spied on Russian soldiers' unauthorized calls home from the front lines of the Ukraine war, revealing a "crisis in morale" and "an inside view of a military in disarray." That story likely wasn't...
Are Coming to Oklahoma
Jan 10, 2023 11:29 AM CST
Ukrainian Troops Are Coming to Oklahoma
US is bringing them here to train with the Patriot missile system
- Last month, the US said it was sending its vaunted Patriot missile system to Ukraine. This month, a related move: The Pentagon is bringing Ukrainian soldiers to the US to train on the system, reports the
. The training will take place at Fort Sill in Oklahoma and will...
Putin's Ceasefire Has Begun.
No One Seems to Be Listening
Jan 6, 2023 1:34 PM CST
Putin's Ceasefire Has Begun. No One Seems to Be Listening
Artillery fire continues, apparently from both sides, after Putin's holiday mandate went into effect Friday
- Usually for a truce to work, even a temporary one, both sides have to be in agreement. Russian President Vladimir Putin is finding that out as a 36-hour ceasefire in the Ukraine war he called didn't get off to a great start on Friday, right as it began. The...
US, Other Allies Sending
Combat Vehicles to Ukraine
Jan 5, 2023 5:20 PM CST
US, Other Allies Sending Combat Vehicles to Ukraine
New American aid package is nearly $3B
- As the Russian-spurred war in Ukraine enters a new calendar year, Ukraine continues to push back hard, and its president is reupping an ask of Western allies. In a Wednesday night video address, Volodymyr Zelensky pleaded specifically for tanks and heavy weaponry, as officials in the country's east say...
Putin Orders 36-Hour
Ceasefire in Ukraine
Jan 5, 2023 10:07 AM CST
Putin Orders 36-Hour Ceasefire in Ukraine
His forces will halt fighting to observe Russian Orthodox Christmas holiday
- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday ordered Moscow's armed forces to hold a 36-hour ceasefire in Ukraine this weekend for the Russian Orthodox Christmas holiday, the Kremlin said. The order follows a proposal by the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill, and will start at noon on...
Russia Blames Deadly Attack
on Soldiers' Phone Use
Jan 4, 2023 12:00 AM CST
Russia Blames Deadly Attack on Soldiers' Phone Use
It now acknowledges at least 89 deaths
- Russia now says at least 89 of its soldiers were killed in a New Year's Day missile attack in Ukraine's occupied Donetsk region, and it blames its own troops for the attack. The Russian military says its soldiers were using mobile phones, which they are not supposed to...
With One of Its Own
Dec 27, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Russia Answers Ukraine Ultimatum With One of Its Own
Moscow demands that Ukraine demilitarize
- Will Russia and Ukraine have peace talks? Vladimir Putin raised the possibility , but the two nations sound worlds apart at the moment based on their latest statements. On Tuesday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov warned that Ukraine must meet Moscow's demand for "demilitarization" and "denazification," as...
Putin Uses Word
Have Been Jailed For
Dec 23, 2022 12:25 AM CST
Putin Uses Word Anti-War Russians Have Been Jailed For
He calls invasion of Ukraine a 'war' for first time
- Vladimir Putin has been calling Russia's invasion of Ukraine a "special military operation," but on Thursday, the Russian president referred to it as a war for the first time. "Our goal is not to spin this flywheel of a military conflict, but, on the contrary, to...
Russia Scrubbing All Traces
of Ukraine from Mariupol
Dec 22, 2022 4:50 PM CST
Russia Scrubbing All Traces of Ukraine from Mariupol
The city with 10K graves has been 'Russified,' AP reports
- Eight months after Mariupol fell into Russian hands, Russia is eradicating all vestiges of Ukraine from it, along with the evidence of war crimes buried in its buildings, reports the AP . Workers are tearing down bombed-out buildings at a rate of at least one a day, hauling away shattered bodies...
In US, Zelensky
May Find His
Request Is Once
Dec 21, 2022 9:02 AM CST
In US, Zelensky May Find His Request Is Once Again Denied
Politico's sources say he'll likely again ask for longer-range weapon
- The specifics of Volodymyr Zelensky's travel to Washington, DC, on Wednesday are being kept under wraps, but the Ukrainian president is expected to land at 2pm ET and spend the afternoon and evening in the capital, during which he will meet with President Biden and hold a White House...
Report: Zelensky to Address
Congress in Person Wednesday
Dec 20, 2022 5:44 PM CST
Report: Zelensky to Address Congress in Person Wednesday
If visit goes ahead, it will be his first trip outside Ukraine since invasion
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky is planning to visit Washington, DC on Wednesday on his first trip outside Ukraine since the Russian invasion, sources tell outlets including the AP and CNN . The sources say that while there's a strong chance the trip could be called off at the last minute...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.