Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Biden: DOJ Will Appeal
'Deeply Disappointing' Ruling
Jul 17, 2021 12:50 PM CDT
Biden: DOJ Will Appeal 'Deeply Disappointing' Ruling
President renews his call to Congress for a path to citizenship for Dreamers
- President Joe Biden is planning to appeal a ruling from a federal judge in Texas. The judge sided with nine conservative states that sued to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. The DACA program has about 650,000 people enrolled, and their status remains unchanged. But for now...
Federal Judge Rules
Jul 17, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Federal Judge Rules DACA Illegal
Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program protects around 650K people
- Immigration advocates are raising the alarm after US District Judge Andrew Hanen declared the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program illegal, barring the government from approving any new applications, but leaving the program intact for existing recipients. Hanen ruled in favor of Texas and eight other conservative states that sued...
11M Immigrants to Get Path
to Citizenship Under Biden
Jan 19, 2021 6:58 AM CST
11M Immigrants to Get Path to Citizenship Under Biden
Dreamers could nab green cards in fewer than 5 years
- President-elect Joe Biden plans to unveil a sweeping immigration bill on Day One of his administration, hoping to provide an eight-year path to citizenship for an estimated 11 million people living in the US without legal status, reports the AP . The legislation, a massive reversal from the Trump administration's...
Nov 27, 2020 2:20 PM CST
Latino Student Makes DACA History
Santiago Potes scores an incredible academic achievement
- Santiago Potes has made history as the first Latino DACA recipient to receive a Rhodes Scholarship—but he's far from bragging about it, CBS Miami reports. The Columbia University graduate gives all the credit to his elementary school teacher, Marina Esteva: "She was one of the biggest blessings...
Judge Throws Cold Water
on 'Dream Act' Suspension
Nov 14, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Judge Throws Cold Water on 'Dream Act' Suspension
Chad Wolf wasn't 'lawfully' in position when he suspended DACA, judge says
- Looks like DACA was wrongly suspended this summer because the acting Homeland Security chief didn't belong there —at least not in the eyes of the law, NBC News reports. Judge Nicholas Garaufis ruled Saturday that Chad Wolf, acting Homeland Security secretary, "was not lawfully serving" in the...
Town Haller: Trump's Smile
Rocks, but My Vote's for Biden
Oct 16, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
Town Haller: Trump's Smile Rocks, but My Vote's for Biden
Paulette Dale drew attention for complimenting president at town hall
- There were plenty of attention-grabbing moments during President Trump's Thursday night town hall in Miami, but one attendee managed to steal some of the spotlight from him when she gushed over his looks. "I have to say, you have a great smile," Paulette Dale said to a...
Big Question for Young
Immigrants: Now What?
Jun 19, 2020 12:46 PM CDT
Big Question for Young Immigrants: Now What?
They won a reprieve at Supreme Court, but Trump signals he'll go after DACA again
- The Supreme Court gave young, undocumented immigrants in the US reason to celebrate Thursday when it blocked President Trump's attempt to end protections for them. But one key point quickly emerged in coverage: The court decision was a narrow, procedural one, meaning this is more of a reprieve than...
'Do You Get
the Supreme Court
Doesn't Like Me?'
Jun 18, 2020 1:21 PM CDT
'Do You Get the Impression the Supreme Court Doesn't Like Me?'
Trump, Obama have very different reactions to DACA ruling
- The Supreme Court's surprise decision on Thursday to reject President Trump's attempt to end protections for young, undocumented immigrants brought to the US as children elicited very different responses from two men central to the case—Trump himself and predecessor Barack Obama, whose administration created the Deferred Action...
Supreme Court Hands
Trump a Big Loss
Jun 18, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Supreme Court Hands Trump a Big Loss
Justices reject attempt to end protections for young immigrants
- The Supreme Court on Thursday rejected President Trump's effort to end legal protections for 650,000 young immigrants, a rebuke to the president in the midst of his reelection campaign, per the AP . For now, those immigrants retain their protection from deportation and their authorization to work in the...
Court Looks Ready to Give
Trump Wish on Immigrants
Nov 12, 2019 2:22 PM CST
Court Looks Ready to Give Trump Wish on Immigrants
But we won't know fate of DACA for sure until the spring
- It's a big day for Dreamers—the nickname given to young US immigrants brought here illegally by their parents. The Supreme Court on Tuesday heard arguments on whether the Trump administration can end an Obama-era program that protects the immigrants from deportation and allows them to work legally. No...
Supreme Court to Take On
Trump vs. 'Dreamers'
Jun 28, 2019 10:42 AM CDT
Supreme Court to Take On Trump vs. 'Dreamers'
Decision on DACA expected by June 2020
- The Supreme Court will decide whether President Trump can end an Obama-era program shielding young immigrants from deportation. The justices' order Friday sets up high-stakes legal arguments in late fall or early winter, with a decision likely by June 2020 as Trump seeks re-election, reports the AP . Trump ordered an...
ICE Grabs 'Dreamer'
Mar 23, 2019 9:40 AM CDT
ICE Grabs 'Dreamer' Flight Attendant
Selene Saavedra Roman is held for over 5 weeks
- A Texas flight attendant who was enrolled in the government's program for "Dreamers" flew to Mexico for work and was stopped by immigration authorities who forced her to spend more than a month in detention, her attorney said. Selene Saavedra Roman, 28, who immigrated illegally to the US...
Plan to Dems
Jan 19, 2019 3:45 PM CST
Trump Offers 'Compromise' Plan to Dems
The president would extend DACA protection for a border wall
- In a bid to break the shutdown stalemate, President Donald Trump on Saturday offered to extend temporary protections for young people brought to the US illegally as children and those fleeing disaster zones in exchange or his long-promised border wall, the AP reports. But while Trump cast the move as...
More Bad News for Trump
on His DACA Decision
Nov 8, 2018 3:33 PM CST
More Bad News for Trump on His DACA Decision
Appeals court rules against president
- A US appeals court ruled Thursday that President Donald Trump cannot immediately end an Obama-era program shielding young immigrants from deportation. A three-judge panel of the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously kept in place a preliminary injunction blocking Trump's decision to phase out the Deferred Action for...
Judge Orders DACA
Program to Be Restarted
Aug 4, 2018 7:30 AM CDT
Judge Orders DACA Program to Be Restarted
Judge John Bates says DHS 'inadequately explained' rationale for ending program
- Back in April, US District Judge John Bates gave the Trump administration 90 days to provide some kind of rationale for why the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, aka DACA, was unlawful, which is what the Department of Homeland Security claimed when the program was officially rescinded in...
Texas, 6 Other States Sue to
End DACA Once and for All
May 1, 2018 7:25 PM CDT
Texas, 6 Other States Sue to End DACA Once and for All
They want to see end to 'Dreamers' program
- Texas and six other states are suing to end once and for all a program that would protect some young immigrants from deportation, the AP reports. The lawsuit announced Tuesday comes a week after a federal judge in Washington ordered the Trump administration to resume the Deferred Action for Childhood...
to Restart DACA
Apr 25, 2018 12:51 AM CDT
Judge Orders Government to Restart DACA
He says decison to end program was unlawful
- A federal judge ruled Tuesday against the Trump administration's decision to end a program protecting some young immigrants from deportation, calling the Department of Homeland Security's rationale against the program "arbitrary and capricious." US District Judge John D. Bates in Washington wrote that the decision to...
Trump Hits Mexico Again:
'Our Country Is Being Stolen!'
Apr 2, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
Trump Hits Mexico Again: 'Our Country Is Being Stolen!'
President calls on Democrats to agree to tougher border laws
- President Trump unleashed a Twitter attack on Mexico over the weekend, and he picked up right where he left off on Monday morning. In multiple tweets, Trump said Mexico must do more to stop "caravans of people" heading into the US, blasted Democrats for weak border laws, and again...
No More Drugs or I'll Nix
NAFTA, Trump Warns Mexico
Apr 1, 2018 2:30 PM CDT
No More Drugs or I'll Nix NAFTA, Trump Warns Mexico
Nation must 'stop the big drug and people flows, or I will stop their cash cow,' president says
- President Trump took to Twitter on Sunday to issue a warning to America's neighbor to the south. "Stop the big drug and people flows, or I will stop their cash cow, NAFTA," Trump wrote, as CNBC notes, before he explicitly linked the renewed trade negotiations to his...
Is 'Lying' or
Mar 25, 2018 12:11 PM CDT
Sen. Kaine Says Trump Is 'Lying' or 'Delusional'
Virginia senator heats up DACA blame game
- Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine fired back at President Trump Sunday over DACA's demise, which Trump blames on Democrats. "He is either lying or he is completely delusional,” Kaine says on CNN’s
State of the Union
, per Politico . "If President Trump believes in DACA, all he...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.