Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Who Set Fire to Own
Property Hears His Fate
Jun 9, 2023 7:07 AM CDT
Man Who Set Fire to Own Property Hears His Fate
Denis Molla, who initially blamed antifa for arson, gets 30 months in prison after Minnesota blaze
- A Minnesota man was sentenced Thursday to 30 months behind bars after setting fire to his own property to claim insurance money, and initially blaming the September 2020 arson on antifa. Per court documents cited by CBS News , Denis Vladmirovich Molla, 29, who'd first claimed that someone had torched...
Remarks on Capitol
Riot Draw Cries
Mar 13, 2021 8:30 AM CST
GOP Senator's Remarks on Capitol Riot Draw Cries of Racism
Ron Johnson said he wasn't scared during attack because rioters weren't BLM, antifa
- On a radio program Thursday, Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson says he wasn't scared during the Capitol riot on Jan. 6 that left five dead, but his reasoning for why he wasn't in fear as supporters of former President Trump stormed the building has led to accusations of racism...
Lucy Lawless Slams 'Hercules'
for Antifa Conspiracy Theory
Jan 8, 2021 2:38 PM CST
Lucy Lawless Slams 'Hercules' for Antifa Conspiracy Theory
'Xena' had some words for Kevin Sorbo on Twitter regarding the Capitol Hill riot
- Xena the Warrior Princess doesn't mess around in battle, even on Twitter. That's where Lucy Lawless, the actor who played the ancient Greek fighter in the '90s TV series, ended up on Thursday, embroiled in what Fox News calls a "clash of superheroes" over a conspiracy...
New Narrative Emerges
on Right About Protests
Jan 7, 2021 10:20 AM CST
New Narrative Emerges on Right About Protests
They're blaming antifa for the violence
- In the wake of Wednesday's violence in Washington, a new narrative has emerged on the right about what happened. It boils down to this: Don't blame us, blame the far-left activists of antifa. The accusation is that members of the latter group infiltrated pro-Trump protests and turned them...
One Killed at
Dueling Denver Rallies
Oct 11, 2020 6:42 AM CDT
One Killed at Dueling Denver Rallies
Media outlet's private security guard in custody after man shot
- Denver was the scene of competing left- and right-wing rallies on Saturday, with one pro-law enforcement protester killed after a shooting at the scene downtown. As the
reports, a private security guard who worked for 9News is in custody as a suspect after violence broke out during the...
Proud Boys, Lefties
Gather in Portland
Sep 26, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Proud Boys, Lefties Gather in Portland
Mother Nature plays a role in keeping them apart
- A clash of left-wing activists and far-right Proud Boys seemed all but inevitable Saturday in Portland until the skies opened and everyone got wet, the
reports. A Proud Boys rally attracted roughly 500 people in Delta Park—many of them touting guns or tactical gear—as various left-wing groups...
Joe Rogan on Wildfire Rumors:
'I'm Very Upset With Myself'
Sep 21, 2020 7:31 AM CDT
Joe Rogan on Wildfire Rumors: 'I'm Very Upset With Myself'
Podcast host apologizes for spreading misinformation about fires out West
- Comedian Joe Rogan moved his popular eponymous podcast to Spotify at the beginning of the month, and he got things moving last week by making an accusation regarding wildfires near Portland, Ore. "There is a madness going on there," Rogan said during Thursday's podcast, per CNN Business...
Sep 17, 2020 7:00 PM CDT
FBI Director Weighs In on Antifa
Chris Wray testifies before the House Homeland Security Committee
- FBI Director Chris Wray told lawmakers Thursday that antifa is an ideology, not an organization, delivering testimony that puts him at odds with President Trump, who has said he would designate it a terror group, the AP reports. Wray did not dispute that antifa activists were a serious concern, saying...
'Satirical' Antifa Events
Spark Angry Lawsuit
Sep 5, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
'Satirical' Antifa Events Spark Angry Lawsuit
Activist John Merrifield says his social-media events were satirical
- A Louisiana native who posted fake antifa events online is being sued for his efforts, the
reports. Lafayette city-parish government sued John Merrifield on Monday, saying his pranks forced law enforcement to investigate and respond to the purported antifascist gatherings. But Merrifield insists his social-media posts are about satire,...
Portland Suspect's Tattoo
Helped Lead to His Arrest
Aug 31, 2020 10:35 AM CDT
Portland Suspect's Tattoo Helped Lead to His Arrest
Estranged sister of Michael Forest Reinoehl called police
- New details are emerging about the man suspected of a fatal shooting over the weekend during clashes between supporters of President Trump and counterprotesters in Portland, Ore. The
reports that Michael Forest Reinoehl, 48, has identified himself as "100% ANTIFA all the way!" in an online post...
Trump Ads With Nazi Symbol
Are Taken Down by Facebook
Jun 18, 2020 3:35 PM CDT
Trump Ads With Nazi Symbol Are Taken Down by Facebook
Triangle was used to identify political prisoners in concentration camps
- Facebook has taken down campaign ads for President Trump that a spokesman said violated "our policy against organized hate." The ads were an attack on "far-left mobs," including antifa, and featured an inverted red triangle—used by the Nazis in the 1930s to label political inmates...
Cops: Guy Thought
Salesmen Were Antifa,
Held Them at Gunpoint
Jun 15, 2020 4:33 AM CDT
Cops: Guy Thought Salesmen Were Antifa, Held Them at Gunpoint
Colorado man faces felony charges
- Authorities have arrested a Colorado man they say held at gunpoint two roofing-company salesmen who had been knocking on doors in his neighborhood, the AP reports. Both were wearing blue polo shirts with a local roofing company logo when Scott Gudmundsen forced them to the ground on Thursday, police told...
'Oh Lord': How GOP
to Trump Tweet
Jun 10, 2020 6:39 AM CDT
'Oh Lord': How GOP Senators Responded to Trump Tweet
Many Republicans simply say they haven't seen it, continue on their way
- What do Republicans think of President Trump's most controversial tweets? Conveniently enough, they apparently haven't read them. The
New York Times
reports that journalists printed out copies of the most recent example— Trump's suggestion that the man pushed to the ground by police in Buffalo was actually...
Trump Suggests 'Set Up'
Involving Buffalo Protester
Jun 9, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
Trump Suggests 'Set Up' Involving Buffalo Protester
President implies, sans evidence, Martin Gugino is antifa actor who faked fall; Gugino is still in hospital
- President Trump is pushing a conspiracy theory that claims the elderly Buffalo protester who remains in the hospital after he was allegedly assaulted by two police officers faked his fall. "Could be an ANTIFA provocateur," Trump wrote in a Tuesday tweet . Trump, offering no evidence, said 75-year-old Martin...
Ominous Tweet Tied to White
Nationalists, Not Antifa
Jun 2, 2020 11:59 AM CDT
Ominous Tweet Tied to White Nationalists, Not Antifa
Twitter suspends account that posted message hinting of more violence to come
- As if tensions weren't high enough with the George Floyd protests taking place across America, an ominous message circulated Sunday night that seemed to hint at more violence to come—and it appeared to be linked to antifa . "Tonight's the night, Comrades," the @ANTIFA_US account said...
Jun 2, 2020 2:27 AM CDT
Another High-Profile Republican Hit With Twitter Flag
Rep. Matt Gaetz suggested 'hunting down' antifa
- Twitter slapped a warning label on a tweet from another high-profile Republican on Monday. This time it was Rep. Matt Gaetz, a congressman from Florida whom Politico refers to as "one of President Donald Trump’s fiercest allies." After Trump said the US would declare antifa a terrorist...
Officials: Extremist Groups
Are Infiltrating Protests
Jun 1, 2020 1:42 AM CDT
Officials: Extremist Groups Are Infiltrating Protests
Trump threatens to declare antifa a terrorist organization, though it's not clear he can
- As officials warned that extremist groups may have infiltrated the protests over George Floyd's death , President Trump on Sunday asserted that the US would declare antifa a terrorist group. "The United States of America will be designating ANTIFA as a Terrorist Organization," he tweeted , after days of...
FBI Takes Guns From
Aug 31, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
FBI Takes Guns From 'Unhinged' Ex-Marine
Shane Kohfield said he might have to 'slaughter' antifa members
- Publicly threatening mass murder tends to get people's attention—and Shane Kohfield learned his actions were no exception. The FBI used Oregon's new "red flag" law to take guns from the ex-Marine after he stood outside the Portland mayor's house in July with a megaphone saying...
Cops Arrest 13, Seize
Weapons at Portland Rally
Aug 17, 2019 5:30 PM CDT
Cops Arrest 13, Seize Weapons at Portland Rally
Far-right protesters and anti-fascists swarmed the city
- Police arrested at least 13 people and seized metal poles, bear spray, and other weapons Saturday as hundreds of far-right protesters and anti-fascist counter-demonstrators swarmed downtown Portland, Oregon, the AP reports. Authorities closed bridges and streets to try to keep the rival groups apart. The city's mayor said the...
Proud Boys Rally
Runs Into Antifa
Jul 6, 2019 3:30 PM CDT
Proud Boys Rally Runs Into Antifa
This time, no one was injured
- A Proud Boys rally attracted enough supporters and counter-protesters Saturday to make things interesting for police in Washington, DC,
reports. The self-described "chauvinistic men's" group assembled a crew of about 250 but was outnumbered by liberal opponents, including roughly 50 black-clad antifa members wearing helmets. The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.